PDA

View Full Version : NFL screws Steelers; changes schedule

billjimbob
12-27-2009, 10:50 PM
So the NFL decided to make a scheduling change for the last week for the season. Previously, the Bengals-Jets game was scheduled for 1pm, the same time as the Texans-Pats game. This was good for the Steelers, since we need both the Pats and Cincy to win. If they both started at the same time, they would both have to play their starters to fight for the #3 seed.

However, the NFL has just moved the Cincy-Jets game to 8:20pm on Sunday. This now means that the Bengals will be able to wait to see what happens in the Patriots game. If the Pats win, the game for the Bengals is useless and they can rest their starters (which screws the Steelers, since we need Cincy to win).

I'm sure the NFL didn't think of this when they were making the change, but this has serious playoff implications. The NFL should not be able to make changes like this.

For reference, the NFL made this change after all games were completed on Sunday. Source. (http://news.google.com/news/story?hl=en&source=hp&q=bengals+game+moved+to+sunday+night&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ncl=ddRrO5V9EoSJFmM&ei=zTY4S7i5DoyUlAfFvIyhBw&sa=X&oi=news_result&ct=more-results&resnum=1&ved=0CAgQqgIwAA)

Gnutella
12-27-2009, 10:53 PM
No, we screwed ourselves.

CargoJon
12-27-2009, 10:56 PM
Yes, they screwed us. So did that asswipe Jim Caldwell when he decided to pull his players with a slim lead and throw away an undefeated yer.

Ultimately though, if we beat a bunch of crappy teams a month ago, it wouldn't have mattered.

MaidenIndiana
12-27-2009, 10:57 PM

AMEN!!!!!!!!

billjimbob
12-27-2009, 10:57 PM

That's certainly true, but don't you think the NFL has having too much of a hand in it? With all the gambling and similar problems in sports, this seems like a pretty serious problem, since the NFL front office is favoring a team by moving them.

Gnutella
12-27-2009, 11:02 PM
That's certainly true, but don't you think the NFL has having too much of a hand in it? With all the gamlbing problems in sports, this seems like a pretty serious problem, since the NFL front office is favoring a team by moving them.

Please don't even go there. Everybody else around the league already believes that the NFL is rigged in our favor anyway (which is also bullsh*t). The Bengals/Jets game was moved to Sunday night because it involves two solid teams, and FOX probably told the NFL to leave the Cowboys/Eagles game alone already.

billjimbob
12-27-2009, 11:04 PM
Please don't even go there. Everybody else around the league already believes that the NFL is rigged in our favor anyway (which is also bullsh*t). The Bengals/Jets game was moved to Sunday night because it involves two solid teams, and FOX probably told the NFL to leave the Cowboys/Eagles game alone already.

Like I said in the OP, I don't think the NFL had any intent of screwing the Steelers on purpose (there are probably other teams affected by this as well). But I don't think they should have the power to do that.

tmacsteelerfan
12-27-2009, 11:06 PM
We did it to ourselves playing like hell in 7 games, but that's definitely a mistake by the league to do something like that.

GoSlash27
12-27-2009, 11:18 PM
http://moogie.info/football/nfl/ref/085Hochuli98.jpg
"Delay of griping, offense. five games from the spot of the foul".

The league did not screw us. *We* screwed us. Just like every nonsense complaint about bad calls/ no calls, etc; don't let it come down to this, and the call doesn't matter.

We lost to the Chiefs, the Raiders, and the Browns. Had we not done that, we'd be looking at a guaranteed berth. As it stands, we still have a very good chance to make the playoffs. There's plenty of teams who would love to be in our position right now.
/ take what you get and make the most of it...:tt03:

stb_steeler
12-27-2009, 11:19 PM
Simple formula: Dont lose as many games and were in. Moving the game has nothing to do with Destiny. A team has to win no matter whats thrown at them.

Shoes
12-27-2009, 11:24 PM
No....No, it's all because Ben has been farting in the huddle to many times :chuckle:

SteelKid212
12-27-2009, 11:26 PM

The league did not screw us. *We* screwed us. Just like every nonsense complaint about bad calls/ no calls, etc; don't let it come down to this, and the call doesn't matter.

We lost to the Chiefs, the Raiders, and the Browns. Had we not done that, we'd be looking at a guaranteed berth. As it stands, we still have a very good chance to make the playoffs. There's plenty of teams who would love to be in our position right now.

thank you.... :coffee:

RavenManiac
12-27-2009, 11:46 PM
I happen to agree with the OP, this is a bush-league move by the NFL.

Obviously, any bubble team could have prevented the bubble situation by winning more, but that is beside the point.

In this move, the NFL is giving Cincy a large advantage, that is a fact. Assuming New England wins, and Baltimore wins (not even close to assured, but let's assume for now), and Pittsburgh wins, then Cincy will essentially be playing to determine the playoff participants. That is lame.

They will have a choice: If they play hard and win, they would host Baltimore with Pittsburgh getting the 6th seed. If they essentially tank, and rest, and don't show their cards, they would host the Jets again (having shown them nothing), with Baltimore getting the 6th seed. They will choose option #2, I can count on it. Whether they win anyway, while resting and running vanilla plays, is beside the point. The change in schedule will have an effect on the chances of certain playoff matchups. Again, lame.

They should have made the 8 pm game one between two teams that have clinched, say Dallas and Philly. And they should have kept the Cincy/Jets game and the NE/Houston game at the same time.

I am having a hard time understanding the move.

Shoes
12-27-2009, 11:59 PM
I'm beginning to wonder if this is a voodoo forum instead of a football forum. I believe I've heard every excuse for our teams results this year. Its Madded, no... I wore the wrong color jersey, no... I wore the wrong number jersey, no.... the game is played at the wrong time...no....the coaches suck (some do :chuckle: ) and just about every player sucks and should be cut....and now its the NFL. Does make for some fun reading :chuckle:

SH-Rock
12-28-2009, 12:17 AM
The Bengals might still play because Chris Henry died. R.I.P

sharkweek
12-28-2009, 12:31 AM

The problem with that logic is that the game may no longer be lucrative unless the Patriots lose as the Bengals would in all likelihood treat that game as a bye, so moving it to Sunday night as a lucrative game just doesn't make sense unless there was some way to guarantee both teams will do their utmost to try and win.

Eagles @ Cowboys is easily the most lucrative game, but IIRC FOX has that one protected. However there's also Giants @ Vikings (Giants are just about eliminated but the Vikings might be fighting for seeding) and then GreenBay @ Arizona (yet another potentially lucrative game with seeding implications between two teams definitely going to be in the playoffs)

If they wanted to gamble like they have on Bengals @ Jets they should have chosen to bump the Steelers @ Dolphins game, just picture the tag line if the pieces fell in to place with the Jets and Texans falling - "Defending Superbowl champs play in the last game of the regular season to see if they can get in". Sure, if its the last game of the day and other teams have already secured the wild card spots, it will be a lousy game, but so would Bengals @ Jets if the Bengals know they can just coast that game.

That being said, I am one who will say we blew our own chances, but this is horse sh!t. Some say its bush league, but I don't know if that's appropriate because this is more of calling card of a major league move, ie the NFL being greedy money grubbers trying to milk every game for all its worth instead of trying to be a fair league where the competition comes first. This is not only unfair to us, its unfair to every other 8-7 team out there (and I supposed the 7-8 Jags) as the Jets are currently in a wild card spot (5th I believe). Its also unfair to the Pats and a major advantage to both the Jets and Bengals. Here we'll have had just about every 8-6/7-7 team have to fight tooth and nail to try and earn their birth but the Jets are seemingly about to coast in with back to back games that are likely to be treated as byes by the teams they play.

Right now just about our only hope is to have Marvin Lewis grow a pair and decide to try and get into the playoffs with some momentum, with motivation of trying to avoid playing the Jets in back to back weeks.

SH-Rock
12-28-2009, 12:34 AM
Most likely Ochocinco will play, if it means anything

Merchant
12-28-2009, 12:49 AM
Whatever happens, happens. Don't try to control this. Just sit back and hope the stars align in our favor.

WH
12-28-2009, 03:50 AM
Yes, the NFL screwed Pittsburgh. Why would the NFL want Pittsburgh in the playoffs? if Pittsburgh gets in the playoffs that would mean the millions and millions of Steelers fans would watch every playoff game. They would set more viewership record, make 100's of millions of dollars in ad revenue, and millions of dollars in merchandise sales. Why would Roger Goodell, or any of the profit sharing owners, want Pittsburgh in the playoffs?

It's all so clear to me now that the NFL hates Pittsburgh ::wink::

Rick5895
12-28-2009, 04:26 AM
We've done this to ourselves!! But consider this... We need to win, I am sure we will. The Pats have something to play for, so they will beat the Texans. The Rat birds must travel out west, Oakland has been a tough opponent this season for many teams, this game could be interesting. The Bengals will not mail it in. By moving them to prime time this will get a great effort by Cinci. They were not god against KC yesterday and might like to go into the playoffs with some momentum. As we have seen in past years what happens to teams when they "rest" the big guns, I think they only way you see Cinci rest anybody is if they have a big lead.

WH
12-28-2009, 05:14 AM
We've done this to ourselves!! But consider this... We need to win, I am sure we will. The Pats have something to play for, so they will beat the Texans. The Rat birds must travel out west, Oakland has been a tough opponent this season for many teams, this game could be interesting. The Bengals will not mail it in. By moving them to prime time this will get a great effort by Cinci. They were not god against KC yesterday and might like to go into the playoffs with some momentum. As we have seen in past years what happens to teams when they "rest" the big guns, I think they only way you see Cinci rest anybody is if they have a big lead.

good post.

To add to your remark about Bengals being prime time.....it'll give Ochocinco and the rest of the Bengals a national stage to honor Chris Henry. I think they come out swinging.

4xSBChamps
12-28-2009, 05:56 AM
That's certainly true, but don't you think the NFL has having too much of a hand in it? With all the gambling and similar problems in sports, this seems like a pretty serious problem, since the NFL front office is favoring a team by moving them.

Yeah..... Goodell really screwed us when he expected us to play, and beat, such power-house teams like the Bears, Chiefs, Raiders, and Browns, in the same season.....

:doh:

StainlessStill
12-28-2009, 06:04 AM
Cincy might NOT want to lose to a team in the final week playing for all the marbles, if they could potentially see them again. This is Cincy's chance to be takin' for real and they might just do that on a National Stage. Sucks that Caldwell didn't go for it, or else I think we'd get in. DAMMIT

WH
12-28-2009, 06:07 AM
Yeah..... Goodell really screwed us when he expected us to play, and beat, such power-house teams like the Bears, Chiefs, Raiders, and Browns, in the same season.....

:doh:

I think he meant as far as being able to just change gametimes as they see fit.

LamarrWoodleysFade
12-28-2009, 06:17 AM
Did you guys even consider that maybe, just maybe, the Bengals don't have a problem seein' us in the Playoffs, given the fact that they've beaten us twice this season...?

I don't know how the seeding will look, but, if we make the Playoffs and happen to run into the Bengals, I don't see why they would be "scared" to play us. Look at last year...

I'm just saying, don't think the Bengals are just gonna roll over next week. If they want to make a statement (*cough* Colts *cough*), they'll go out and try to beat the Jets...

Vis
12-28-2009, 06:25 AM
It's not the NFL. NBC wanted a game that someone might watch. Don't be paranoid fans.

Steelers
12-28-2009, 06:31 AM
Steelers screw Steelers; lose to Browns, Raiders, Chiefs

Galax Steeler
12-28-2009, 06:43 AM
There is nothing we can do about it we just need to go and play hard and win our game. The see where we will be at the end of the day.

steelcity1974
12-28-2009, 06:57 AM
I agree with both sides of this arguement, that the refs screwed us for the schedule change AND that we screwed ourselves for allowing it to be in other teams' hands. However, the NFL should take a page from world cup soccer where the final games of the group stage are played at exactly the same time to prevent teams from sitting starters. It's just common sense and the NFL is too stupid to think that way. They actually believe the Jets and Bengals are a premier match up...the Bengals will sit half their team and the Jets will get their second straight game handed to them...and then they will get KILLED in the first round of the playoffs. Don't be fulled...Colts and Bengals would much rather see the Jets in the playoffs than the Steelers...they both know what happened last time...

plenewken
12-28-2009, 07:04 AM
I agree with both sides of this arguement, that the refs screwed us for the schedule change AND that we screwed ourselves for allowing it to be in other teams' hands. However, the NFL should take a page from world cup soccer where the final games of the group stage are played at exactly the same time to prevent teams from sitting starters. It's just common sense and the NFL is too stupid to think that way. They actually believe the Jets and Bengals are a premier match up...the Bengals will sit half their team and the Jets will get their second straight game handed to them...and then they will get KILLED in the first round of the playoffs. Don't be fulled...Colts and Bengals would much rather see the Jets in the playoffs than the Steelers...they both know what happened last time...

If we're not in the playoffs, we have nobody to blame but us, period.

Vis
12-28-2009, 07:16 AM

Again, NBC did this because they want ratings and revenue. The idea that the NFL would want big games played at the same time is crazy. Why throw away money?

steelerchad
12-28-2009, 07:28 AM
I'm going to look at it this way. The NFL has possibly just made a great Sunday of watching football for me as I have the Sunday ticket and will be able to follow all of the games. At 1 pm I'll tune into the Steelers game with an eye on the Pats. If we both win, at 4 I'll be watching Baltimore and Oakland. If Oakland can't pull it off, I'll grab a quick bite for dinner and then back in front of the TV for the Bengals and Jets at 8pm. A pretty entertaining day of football provided we do our part and win early.

LukesDad88
12-28-2009, 08:00 AM
Not a chance the Bengals or the Pats give a $^&# about being 3rd seed or 4ht. They are both in, neither has a bye week, so they will rest some of their starters. We would do the same.

Vincent
12-28-2009, 08:26 AM

What he said.

With the talent this team has and the relatively modest schedule, there is no excuse to be in this position. If your post season is dependent on who starts in other games, perhaps you shouldn't be in the playoffs.

kittenfantastico76
12-28-2009, 08:28 AM

:applaudit: Amen!

Venom
12-28-2009, 08:53 AM
The NFL didn't screw us , we did it to ourself. Beat the Raiders ,Chiefs and Browns and we wouldnt care if they played that game at midnight !!!

fansince'76
12-28-2009, 08:54 AM
Teams that lose to the Chiefs, Raiders and Browns don't really deserve to go anywhere. I consider it a minor miracle that the Steelers are still mathematically alive at this point.

supa_fly_steeler
12-28-2009, 08:56 AM
we have ourselves only to blame.

to be honest id rather have rolando mclain than get beat in the wildcards (my opinion).

markymarc
12-28-2009, 11:48 AM
Teams that lose to the Chiefs, Raiders and Browns don't really deserve to go anywhere. I consider it a minor miracle that the Steelers are still mathematically alive at this point.

What he said! We only have to look in the mirrors if they want to blame anyone. When you go on a 5 game losing streak in the 2nd half of the season then technically you don't deserve a playoff spot.

steelreserve
12-28-2009, 12:26 PM
Perhaps the Bengals will actually try to win the game, for no other reason than you ought to take what is basically an elimination game seriously, regardless of whether you're already in yourself?

Who knows. The Giants gave the Patriots a "real" game in Week 17 two years ago even though there was technically nothing on the line. And then on the other hand, you have the Colts' effort this week. Nothing to do but sit and wait.

zulater
12-28-2009, 01:37 PM
Where do the Broncos fit in all of this? Is it a given that if the Texans and Jets lose we'll be the benificiary? I know we beat them ( Broncos) heads up, but assuming the Ravens also win then we're talking breaking a 3 way tie, so maybe the win over the Broncos is tossed and they go to conference record?

zulater
12-28-2009, 01:40 PM
BTW I think there's a really good chance the Bengals will win this game even if they rest some starters. The Bengals defense will stack the box and make Sanchez beat them and he's not capable. And even without Palmer the Bengals got a strong ground game. All the pressure will be riding on the Jets, I predict they'll choke.

steelerchad
12-28-2009, 01:51 PM
Where do the Broncos fit in all of this? Is it a given that if the Texans and Jets lose we'll be the benificiary? I know we beat them ( Broncos) heads up, but assuming the Ravens also win then we're talking breaking a 3 way tie, so maybe the win over the Broncos is tossed and they go to conference record?

The Broncos are actually pulling for the Texans. In a 3 way tie with us and the Texans they are the beneficiary. The Broncos get in if that happens.

Triggerfish
12-28-2009, 02:13 PM

Yes. That would make a 3-way tie between PIT, BAL (assuming they win), and DEN (assuming they win). Baltimore would get the 5th seed over us, and then it would come down to a tie-breaker between TWO teams for the 6th seed, where head-to-head applies, and we own that one.

CPanther95
12-28-2009, 02:41 PM
The NFL didn't have much choice.

The Philly/Dallas game would probably have been first choice. But NBC already had the first Philly/Dallas matchup, the Cowboys were just on in Week 16, and 5 of 6 flex games were FOX games. We knew going into this week that they would flex a CBS game in Week 17 or FOX would have pitched a fit - and rightfully so.

First choice would have been Miami/Pitt if Miami had won. Colts going for 16-0 might have been second choice, but a win-you're-in game would've likely trumped the Colts anyway. The only win-you're-in games on CBS are the Jets/Cincy or Bal/Oak.

If they suspected that Cincy would rest their starters, they should have selected the Baltimore game, but it's hard to argue with their choice.

rich4eagle
12-28-2009, 03:10 PM
So the NFL decided to make a scheduling change for the last week for the season. Previously, the Bengals-Jets game was scheduled for 1pm, the same time as the Texans-Pats game. This was good for the Steelers, since we need both the Pats and Cincy to win. If they both started at the same time, they would both have to play their starters to fight for the #3 seed.

However, the NFL has just moved the Cincy-Jets game to 8:20pm on Sunday. This now means that the Bengals will be able to wait to see what happens in the Patriots game. If the Pats win, the game for the Bengals is useless and they can rest their starters (which screws the Steelers, since we need Cincy to win).

I'm sure the NFL didn't think of this when they were making the change, but this has serious playoff implications. The NFL should not be able to make changes like this.

For reference, the NFL made this change after all games were completed on Sunday. Source. (http://news.google.com/news/story?hl=en&source=hp&q=bengals+game+moved+to+sunday+night&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ncl=ddRrO5V9EoSJFmM&ei=zTY4S7i5DoyUlAfFvIyhBw&sa=X&oi=news_result&ct=more-results&resnum=1&ved=0CAgQqgIwAA)

Welcome to the NFL where TV and Referees have more to do with outcome of games than players:tt::tt03::tt02::tt04::applaudit:

JoeCool5
12-28-2009, 03:48 PM
I'd say what screwed the Steelers was losing to the Chiefs, Raiders, and Browns.

JEFF4i
12-28-2009, 03:49 PM
I'd say what screwed the Ravens is not being able to beat good teams.

Hehe.

Yeah scheduling sucks, but what can you do?

Stlrs4Life
12-28-2009, 03:57 PM

Exactly.

Jt20042
12-28-2009, 06:10 PM
I'm thinking the Bungles will intentionally pull players now so we don't make they playoffs. I doubt they'd want any part of us in the post-season.

CPanther95
12-28-2009, 06:30 PM
I'm thinking the Bungles will intentionally pull players now so we don't make they playoffs. I doubt they'd want any part of us in the post-season.

The decision they make will primarily be made based on whether they'd rather play the Jets or the Ravens in the first round.

Eliminating us would just be a bonus if they decide on the Jets.

steelreserve
12-28-2009, 06:42 PM

They'll probably rest the starters at least part of the game, but I doubt it has anything to do with who they "want" to play. You're not going to make it through the playoffs by dodging and lucking your way into the Super Bowl; you basically have to be confident you can beat anyone who's out there. I'd be much more worried about playing the Colts and Chargers in the next round if I was them.

CPanther95
12-28-2009, 06:45 PM
They'll probably rest the starters at least part of the game, but I doubt it has anything to do with who they "want" to play. You're not going to make it through the playoffs by dodging and lucking your way into the Super Bowl; you basically have to be confident you can beat anyone who's out there. I'd be much more worried about playing the Colts and Chargers in the next round if I was them.

I disagree. If you have the opportunity to hand-pick your first opponent in the playoffs, with no other ramifications (seeding, home field, etc.), it'd be foolish not to pick the team that you feel you best match up against.

steelreserve
12-28-2009, 06:46 PM
I'd say what screwed the Steelers was losing to the Chiefs, Raiders, and Browns.

That's definitely true.

But completely removed from our own predicament, it still pisses me off that the Jets are going to get cakewalked for two weeks in a row, during what's supposedly the most crucial time of the season and all the other contenders are out busting their asses. They're basically a 7-9 team that lucked into two freebies.

steelreserve
12-28-2009, 06:48 PM
I disagree. If you have the opportunity to hand-pick your first opponent in the playoffs, with no other ramifications (seeding, home field, etc.), it'd be foolish not to pick the team that you feel you best match up against.

Yeah, but nobody ACTUALLY throws a game on purpose except the Colts.

Plus, the Bengals have already beaten us twice this year, so I don't know who they think they'd rather match up against... that kind of thing is pretty unpredictable, and usually the result of thinking about it too much is that it comes back to bite you in the ass.

CPanther95
12-28-2009, 07:00 PM
Yeah, but nobody ACTUALLY throws a game on purpose except the Colts.

Plus, the Bengals have already beaten us twice this year, so I don't know who they think they'd rather match up against... that kind of thing is pretty unpredictable, and usually the result of thinking about it too much is that it comes back to bite you in the ass.

Teams rest their starters almost every season.

It would be the Jets or Ravens. If they win and put us in, we'd go against New England.

Yes it is definitely unpredictable, but still if you get to choice, it'd be dumb not to.

Look at it this way. If you had a choice to handpick 3 opponents and it was either the Browns, Chiefs and Raiders - or the Chargers, Vikings and Packers .... which would you choose? You'd be a moron not to pick the first group. Why would you leave that up to chance?

Fifty8
12-28-2009, 07:55 PM
FROM MARVIN LEWIS PC TODAY:

Q: Will you err on the side of caution this weekend against the Jets by resting some players, or will you just continue playing the way you’ve been playing?
ML: “It will be another Sunday for us. I’ll make those adjustments later in the week, and as we go. We’re going to approach it as a game we need to win.”

Q: Could you adjust that plan even on Sunday after the early games?
ML: “It could.”

Sounds like playing to win will depend on if Pats win and who else figures into the equation -- If Pats have already won, they can't gain a seed so it will be who would he rather see next week?

Fifty8
12-28-2009, 08:02 PM
FROM CARSON PALMER INTERVIEW:

Palmer, for one, thinks the Bengals have to play it for real and not take a rest.

“Not at all,” Palmer said of resting Sunday in New Jersey. “We’d like to be the third seed. You want to go into the playoffs with as good a position as you can ... we’re playing to win. That’s the way Marvin is, that’s the way our team is. We’d like to hang an 11-5 record and we’d like to go out and play good football against a good team. Especially a good defense. We hit a little bit of a skid (in '05). There’s nothing like winning the previous week. The Saturday night before a game watching the highlight video from a win that you don’t get to watch from a loss. There’s so many nice things about that week of preparation coming off a win that we want that going into the first playoff game.”

CPanther95
12-28-2009, 08:05 PM
FROM CARSON PALMER INTERVIEW:

Palmer, for one, thinks the Bengals have to play it for real and not take a rest.

“Not at all,” Palmer said of resting Sunday in New Jersey. “We’d like to be the third seed. You want to go into the playoffs with as good a position as you can ... we’re playing to win. That’s the way Marvin is, that’s the way our team is. We’d like to hang an 11-5 record and we’d like to go out and play good football against a good team. Especially a good defense. We hit a little bit of a skid (in '05). There’s nothing like winning the previous week. The Saturday night before a game watching the highlight video from a win that you don’t get to watch from a loss. There’s so many nice things about that week of preparation coming off a win that we want that going into the first playoff game.”

That's moot for the Steelers. The only way they'll be playing for a #3 seed is if NE loses.

Fifty8
12-28-2009, 08:06 PM
Wouldn't this be the sweetest though:
PIT win + HOU loss or tie + BAL loss or tie

Then we wouldn't even need the Bungles

GoSlash27
12-28-2009, 08:11 PM
Good news is the schedule change doesn't hurt us as much as you might think.
There are basically 32 different possible outcomes if the Steelers beat Miami, depending on what the other teams do. 14 of them result in a playoff berth for us.
The team that has the most dramatic impact on our chances is Houston. If they win, we have a 1 in 8 chance of making the playoffs. If they lose, we have a 3 in 4 chance.
This game will be running simultaneously with ours on CBS. The outcome of these 2 games will almost certainly tell us all we need to know.
IOW, we'll probably know if we made the playoffs or not long before kickoff Sunday night.

CPanther95
12-28-2009, 08:15 PM
There are basically 32 different possible outcomes if the Steelers beat Miami, depending on what the other teams do. 14 of them result in a playoff berth for us.
The team that has the most dramatic impact on our chances is Houston. If they win, we have a 1 in 8 chance of making the playoffs. If they lose, we have a 3 in 4 chance.
This game will be running simultaneously with ours on CBS. The outcome of these 2 games will almost certainly tell us all we need to know.
IOW, we'll probably know if we made the playoffs or not long before kickoff Sunday night.

That sounds good, but it doesn't change the fact that the most likely scenario involves the SNF game.

Looking only at possible outcomes weighs a KC upset of Denver or an Oakland upset of Baltimore equal to NE beating Houston.

SH-Rock
12-28-2009, 08:19 PM

I would like to see those 32 different out comes and 14 that result in playoff berth

Fifty8
12-28-2009, 08:20 PM
The more I look at the probable scenarios, the more I don't think Cincy plays to win. Provided Pats beat Hou, Steelers win and Ravens win -- A Cincy win would mean they draw Ravens in round 1 and let Steelers into the tournament. Whereas losing means they get Jets at home and Ravens play Patriots in 1st round. I see Cincy playing the practice squad. LOL

steelerchad
12-28-2009, 08:21 PM
I think NE plays hard to get the #3 seed and avoid the Colts until a championship game. I think the Pats would also like the #3 just incase the Colts falter, which is possible in my opinion as they've shown many times before they can come out rusty by having too much time off. This would give the Pats a chance to host the AFC champ game. I think the Bengals have a different mind set. I think they'll play hard because they aren't used to winning. They haven't really looked sharp and need to go into the playoffs playing strong.

CPanther95
12-28-2009, 08:22 PM
The more I look at the probable scenarios, the more I don't think Cincy plays to win. Provided Pats beat Hou, Steelers win and Ravens win -- A Cincy win would mean they draw Ravens in round 1 and let Steelers into the tournament. Whereas losing means they get Jets at home and Ravens play Patriots in 1st round. I see Cincy playing the practice squad. LOL

I think so also.

If the Steelers were in this position and were choosing between the Jets and the Ravens, I'm pretty sure they'd prefer the Jets in the Wild Card round.

SH-Rock
12-28-2009, 08:24 PM
I think NE plays hard to get the #3 seed and avoid the Colts until a championship game. I think the Pats would also like the #3 just incase the Colts falter, which is possible in my opinion as they've shown many times before they can come out rusty by having too much time off. This would give the Pats a chance to host the AFC champ game. I think the Bengals have a different mind set. I think they'll play hard because they aren't used to winning. They haven't really looked sharp and need to go into the playoffs playing strong.

I think so to, these last couple of games they have been horrible. They need to set a statement that they are a good team and beating the #1 defense will mean a lot to them, then again they might feel to hide their A game so the team they verse are caught by surprise.

BigBen'sSwagger
12-28-2009, 08:39 PM
The NFL is really turning piss poor for a lot of reasons but on this we definitely screwed ourselves and we have not played a single game that would tell me we are ready to compete in the playoffs what so ever.

As for the NFL I hate the Thursday Night games, I don't see the point of it. Monday Night games are alright, I can even take Saturday games just not Thursdays.

eafratitpm3
12-28-2009, 11:22 PM
First of all, the Steelers screwed the Steelers if we don't get in. This is the problem with the NFL late in the season, granted teams that have stacked up wins early in the year but are steadily on the decline such as the Jets are most likely going to get in due to the fact that the two teams that should have wiped them off the field by the end of the first half are laying down. I may be biased since I'm a Steeler fan but the 2005 Steelers were playing well as a 6 seed and made the playoff games interesting. If the Jets get in as a 6 seed the playoff game that they will be in will be a blowout, mark my words. That game will be a snoozer IMO. Whatever team plays them will shut down the run and Sanchize will fold like a cheap suit.

FacemeIke
12-28-2009, 11:33 PM
Yeah, yeah yeah we only have ourselves to blame. Blah, blah, blah.......I know thats true, but thats not going to keep me from rooting for us to make the playoffs, and this decision by the NFL hurts our chances so I'm not happy about it. The fact that we lost to the Chiefs, Raiders and Browns doesnt change the fact that the NFL shouldn't flex the schedule for the last week of the season for this very reason.

Just because we didn't take care of business doesn't mean its right to get double whammyed by the NFL decision makers.

CPanther95
12-29-2009, 09:22 AM
Yeah, yeah yeah we only have ourselves to blame. Blah, blah, blah.......I know thats true, but thats not going to keep me from rooting for us to make the playoffs, and this decision by the NFL hurts our chances so I'm not happy about it. The fact that we lost to the Chiefs, Raiders and Browns doesnt change the fact that the NFL shouldn't flex the schedule for the last week of the season for this very reason.

Just because we didn't take care of business doesn't mean its right to get double whammyed by the NFL decision makers.

I agree, but the NFL didn't have much choice. Their preference would be 2 teams fighting for a single playoff spot, but there were no CBS games that fit the bill. It came down to BAL or NYJ.

Stlrs4Life
12-29-2009, 09:43 AM
NFL didn't screw the Steelers, we screwed ourselves.

steelreserve
12-29-2009, 11:35 AM
Teams rest their starters almost every season.

It would be the Jets or Ravens. If they win and put us in, we'd go against New England.

Yes it is definitely unpredictable, but still if you get to choice, it'd be dumb not to.

Look at it this way. If you had a choice to handpick 3 opponents and it was either the Browns, Chiefs and Raiders - or the Chargers, Vikings and Packers .... which would you choose? You'd be a moron not to pick the first group. Why would you leave that up to chance?

I think that only serves as further proof of my point about how unpredictable it is.

And remember, in this case the Bengals wouldn't be "choosing" between playing a title contender and a 2-14 team. They'd be choosing between one playoff team or another playoff team. The advantage you'd gain would be minimal.

Although yes, there's always a chance they'll take it easy just to rest their starters, which is exactly what I said the first time.

CPanther95
12-29-2009, 11:55 AM
I think that only serves as further proof of my point about how unpredictable it is.

I thought you'd like that analogy.

And remember, in this case the Bengals wouldn't be "choosing" between playing a title contender and a 2-14 team. They'd be choosing between one playoff team or another playoff team. The advantage you'd gain would be minimal.

Although yes, there's always a chance they'll take it easy just to rest their starters, which is exactly what I said the first time.

I don't think anyone really views the Jets as a playoff team though. If they get in, it will be far worse than "backing into the playoffs" - they will have been shoved into the playoffs against their will.

bobby jr
12-29-2009, 12:01 PM
I thought you'd like that analogy.

I don't think anyone really views the Jets as a playoff team though. If they get in, it will be far worse than "backing into the playoffs" - they will have been shoved into the playoffs against their will.

They don't deserve to be in the playoffs, but if they get in they will be dangerous.
Which Jets team will we see, the team at the start of the season which looked like they could beat anyone, perhaps? They have given up 236 points, fewer than any other team in the league.

That being said the NFL should do something to stop teams from tanking it like the Colts did against the Jets on Sunday. This was unfair to every team fighting for the playoffs and casts a shadow on the integrity of the sport. The only solution I can see is to punish teams which lose their last two games by making them lose their home field advantage and play on the road in the playoffs. , or perhaps a draft choice.

If the Colts knew they could to lose their home field advantage in the playoffs, you can bet they would have kept Manning and their starters out there and the Jets would have probably lost that game. And the other five teams fighting for the playoffs other than the Jets would have a better chance right now of going to the Super Bowl.

xstang102
12-29-2009, 12:03 PM
we have ourselves only to blame.

to be honest id rather have rolando mclain than get beat in the wildcards (my opinion).

Why do you have 22 in your signature in a playoff thread. He is one of the biggest reasons we are not going to make it this year. Gay SUCKS!

HughC
12-29-2009, 12:18 PM
They don't deserve to be in the playoffs, but if they get in they will be dangerous.
Which Jets team will we see, the team at the start of the season which looked like they could beat anyone, perhaps? They have given up 236 points, fewer than any other team in the league.

That being said the NFL should do something to stop teams from tanking it like the Colts did against the Jets on Sunday. This was unfair to every team fighting for the playoffs and casts a shadow on the integrity of the sport. The only solution I can see is to punish teams which lose their last two games by making them lose their home field advantage and play on the road in the playoffs. , or perhaps a draft choice.

If the Colts knew they could to lose their home field advantage in the playoffs, you can bet they would have kept Manning and their starters out there and the Jets would have probably lost that game. And the other five teams fighting for the playoffs other than the Jets would have a better chance right now of going to the Super Bowl.
Wasn't there a game a year or two ago where the Colts tanked against the Titans on the final weekend, resulting in the Titans getting a bye, or somebody else getting shut out of the playoffs altogether? I can't recall the details but I do seem to remember Indy being involved in this same kind of controversy recently.

vasteeler
12-29-2009, 12:40 PM
Why do you have 22 in your signature in a playoff thread. He is one of the biggest reasons we are not going to make it this year. Gay SUCKS!

Thats your first post :doh:

Larry
12-29-2009, 03:20 PM

There is nothing that can be done about a team resting their starters once they have nothing to gain. Can you conceive of any fair way to dictate what coaches can and can't do with their team? If you happen to play the best teams at the end of the season, your schedule is advantageous, but in the long run it should balance out. If they go to an 18 game regular season it will only get worse.

steelreserve
12-29-2009, 03:37 PM
Which Jets team will we see

The crappy one. That's the only one there really ever was.

Actually, I wonder if Cincy's backups don't actually stand a chance against them. They are pretty bad.

tony hipchest
12-29-2009, 04:03 PM
The crappy one. That's the only one there really ever was.

Actually, I wonder if Cincy's backups don't actually stand a chance against them. They are pretty bad.speaking of crappy...

the jets will give the bungles the "dirty sanchez", but it will be the steelers left with the taste of shit in their mouth.

GoSlash27
12-29-2009, 04:08 PM
speaking of crappy...

the jets will give the bungles the "dirty sanchez", but it will be the steelers left with the taste of shit in their mouth.

Erudite, classy... dare I say touching? :chuckle:

tony hipchest
12-29-2009, 05:20 PM
:laughing: thanks. :hatsoff:

the bengals FINALLY got their chance to give us the finger, while saying "heres 'one for the thumb' now shove it up your ass".

God this sucks. :doh:

i feel dirty admitting the bengals can stick it to us royally. i love my steelers, but right now love stinks.

stillers4me
12-29-2009, 05:26 PM
If we win in Miami and don't get into the playoffs while the Jets get shoved in, I'm going to become the biggest Jets fan ever.

If that happens, it would serve them all right if the Jets went on to win the Superbowl!! (unlikely, I know, but boy would I LMAO!)

steelreserve
12-29-2009, 06:02 PM
speaking of crappy...

Yeah, and then other people will say the "Cleveland steamer" in that Thursday night game is what got us into this mess in the first place.

tony hipchest
12-29-2009, 06:19 PM
Yeah, and then other people will say the "Cleveland steamer" in that Thursday night game is what got us into this mess in the first place.

:banging: that really makes me feel like a piece of shit. and when i say i fell like a piece of shit, what i really mean is im in the mood for a piece of shit.

:poop:

:banging:

EFN'NFL serving up a turd on sunday night. what a crock....

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/crockofshit.jpg

Steelers>NFL
12-29-2009, 06:54 PM
The Steelers srewed themselves with their bad inconsistant play all season long!
To think otherwise, means you are fooling yourself and drinking b&g koolaid....................
Geez.

austinfrench76
12-29-2009, 07:55 PM
Yes, this IS the Steelers doing but it still SUX A#@ that the schedule was changed and that is the same as screwing us because if the schedule DOESN'T change, IMO we do get in.

Here's to lookin up your address on Sunday!

tony hipchest
12-29-2009, 08:14 PM
again, i think we are all aware that the steelers screwed themselves, and there is some tiny bit of satisfaction in that.

what i think has most upset is that the nfl seems to be "rubbing it in" by giving them the "dirty sanchez" on top of it (rubbing it in with furry bunghole fingers makes it even worse).

giants out? no problem... jets in.

Steel Warrior
12-29-2009, 08:17 PM
I'm not sure the schedule change really changed anything. The Pats aren't going to play Brady a whole game, what's the diff between a 3rd or a 4th when you don't know who your'e gonna play with so many games ongoing or left in the day to decide that? They'll sit Brady and then they lose and then we're basically done. They're playing a psyched up Texans team looking for their first playoff chance, and playing in their crib.

After that, the Ravens will not lose to the Raiders (like we did). I'll take as many $20 bets that are wlling to lose their hard earned money on that game.

So, at that point the Jets/Bungles game becomes meaningless to us since we're done.

Oh well, we'll get em next year.

CPanther95
12-29-2009, 10:59 PM
I'm not sure the schedule change really changed anything. The Pats aren't going to play Brady a whole game, what's the diff between a 3rd or a 4th when you don't know who your'e gonna play with so many games ongoing or left in the day to decide that? They'll sit Brady and then they lose and then we're basically done. They're playing a psyched up Texans team looking for their first playoff chance, and playing in their crib.

After that, the Ravens will not lose to the Raiders (like we did). I'll take as many $20 bets that are wlling to lose their hard earned money on that game.

So, at that point the Jets/Bungles game becomes meaningless to us since we're done.

Oh well, we'll get em next year.

You still play for the #3 vs the #4 seed because the difference can mean an AFC Championship game home or away.

FacemeIke
12-30-2009, 09:11 AM
And because the #3 team can wait a week to play Indy.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-30-2009, 11:11 AM
I dont know. I think Cincy tanks the game by playing starters for a half and then the backups. They dont want to face the Steelers in the 1st round of the playoffs......they would probably rather face the Jets or Houston.

WH
12-30-2009, 01:25 PM
I dont know. I think Cincy tanks the game by playing starters for a half and then the backups. They dont want to face the Steelers in the 1st round of the playoffs......they would probably rather face the Jets or Houston.

I wouldn't want to face Houston either if I were them.

The Bengals are in the Steelers' heads. You can talk about Pittsburgh's playoff experience all you want. But this Bengal's team is in their heads.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-30-2009, 01:52 PM
I wouldn't want to face Houston either if I were them.

The Bengals are in the Steelers' heads. You can talk about Pittsburgh's playoff experience all you want. But this Bengal's team is in their heads.

Houston, outdoors in probably cold weather in Cincy with no playoff experience .......is probably a better matchup than the Steelers who are a veteran team that should have beat them if Farrior tackles Brian Leonard.

I think the Bengals will lay down sunday night against the Jets.

AllD
12-30-2009, 02:03 PM

If we would have taken care of business in the middle of the season this would not be a topic. As for the NFL being skewed in our favor, that's a pretty bold statement considering we will most likely not make the playoffs. I can think of the kick return where Logan was mugged after being pushed back 5 yards on a late whistle. If that is helping the Steelers, then I don't want to be on the bad side of the NFL.

HughC
12-30-2009, 06:06 PM
And because the #3 team can wait a week to play Indy.

Based on what the Colts have done in the postseason in all but one season three years ago - especially in seasons when they rest starters a couple of weeks before their first playoff game - I'm not at all convinced that playing the Chargers is preferable to playing the Colts.

Steel Warrior
12-30-2009, 08:16 PM
You still play for the #3 vs the #4 seed because the difference can mean an AFC Championship game home or away.

Not really for the AFCC, if either the #1 or #2 are still alive, you're on the road. The only thing that playing for the #3 gains you is that you will play the #2 no matter what if you beat the #6, it's the ONLY matchup that is GUARANTEED in the playoffs. Why would the Pats sacrifice Brady for a chance to DEFINITELY play the Bolts, unless they think they have a better chance against them, I don't think they're thinking that, and will be sitting players.

WH
12-31-2009, 03:17 AM
[QUOTE=Steel Warrior;745393]Not really for the AFCC.

huh? If the Pats and Bengals upset the #1 and #2 seeds, who the #3 seed is definately important.

xstang102
12-31-2009, 09:47 AM
Thats your first post :doh:

I was Xstang on the Steelerslive forums and had over a thousand posts over there before it was shut down..

That's like having Chad Scott or D washington in your signature back in the day... Just makes me scratch my head. Maybe the dude is related to him or something. For our sake, I hope he starts playing better or is benched or released. I just hate GAY! It looks like he doesn't care or is lost out there..

BlastFurnace
12-31-2009, 09:51 AM
I was Xstang on the Steelerslive forums and had over a thousand posts over there before it was shut down..

That's like having Chad Scott or D washington in your signature back in the day... Just makes me scratch my head. Maybe the dude is related to him or something. For our sake, I hope he starts playing better or is benched or released. I just hate GAY! It looks like he doesn't care or is lost out there..

I don't think it's that at all with Gay. I just don't think he's starting material and the Steelers totally over-estimated his ability.

Steel Warrior
12-31-2009, 08:19 PM
[QUOTE=Steel Warrior;745393]Not really for the AFCC.

huh? If the Pats and Bengals upset the #1 and #2 seeds, who the #3 seed is definately important.

Get real, you're going to take the chance of losing your starting QB because #4 or #5 MIGHT beat #1?