PDA

View Full Version : Assuming he goes...ARE's replacement

Infamix
01-30-2006, 09:41 AM
Nate Washington possibly? seems to have talent

Prosdo
01-30-2006, 09:43 AM
We might see some more of Nate Washington. I think the Steelers are going to draft a WR to give us a deep threat.

XxKnightxX
01-30-2006, 09:49 AM
Does Michael robinson seem a good fit??? can anyone give a thought on my opinion??

Infamix
01-30-2006, 10:05 AM
He was the second guy who came to mind, will def. be a very athletic reciever.

MNsteelers
01-30-2006, 11:14 AM
Michael Robinson isn't going to be an NFL player. He's not a natural quarterback, and the general opinion coming out of the Senior Bowl is that he's going to take a very long time to develop into a wide receiver, if he does at all. Regardless, he's not going to be the answer for ARE.

with Pittsburgh drafting No. 32 this year (fingers crossed), their first round pick is probably going to be more of a second-rounder, their second-rounder will be more of a third, and so on.

I think the best fit for their offense - assuming they choose to go with a high pick on a WR - is Hagans from ASU or Avant from Michigan. Both of them are Ward-like in their abilities. They aren't going to blow you away with their speed, but they're tough, precise route-runners and have excellent hands. Hagens' stock dropped a bit at the Senior Bowl, and might be available in the second round. Avant will more than likely be there in the third.

Also, Miami's Sinorice Moss (Senior Bowl MVP) was said to have impressed scouts quite a bit last week, and might be an intriguing pick-up considering he has the same abilities as 'Twaan (extremely quick, fast, multi-use athlete).

But I have been very impressed with Cedrick Wilson's play in the post-season, and I loved what Q (uincy Morgan) brought to the table until he got hurt. I don't think Pittsburgh needs to draft a wide receiver to play next year. They might want to bring in a guy to compete for the 4th WR spot with Nate Washington, but I think they'll be fine with Hines, Ced and Q next season, assuming Randle-El leaves, which is very likely.

RichmondVA
01-30-2006, 11:18 AM
Love the Q... Quincy Morgan (not the question). ARE will be back in Black in Gold IMO.

rowedf
01-30-2006, 11:27 AM
Why is it very likely?? He had his crack at a solid #2 spot and did not produce as a solid #2 WR, he had a decent year, but....nothing that is going warrant a huge contract. He had 35 catches for 500+ yards. Yes he does bring a little more to the table because of his PR skills and the fact that he can be involved in gadget plays, but ......since the Desmond Howard signing there really haven't been any huge signings for players that have this type of skill set.

nu4everfan15
01-30-2006, 11:39 AM
i think michael robinson will not fit in the nfl... this draft is not high on star power at the wr position but i do think it is pretty deep. A wr anywhere for 3-5 round would be good for the steelers, they dont need to go gettin a wr in the first and have to pay alot of money for him. i like mike hass from oregon state, but i dunno wat free agency has either

MNsteelers
01-30-2006, 02:27 PM
Why is it very likely?? He had his crack at a solid #2 spot and did not produce as a solid #2 WR, he had a decent year, but....nothing that is going warrant a huge contract. He had 35 catches for 500+ yards. Yes he does bring a little more to the table because of his PR skills and the fact that he can be involved in gadget plays, but ......since the Desmond Howard signing there really haven't been any huge signings for players that have this type of skill set.

He's done enough and has enough potential to merit a raise. His punt return abilities definitely put him a step ahead of similar players for his size. This isn't to say he's going to be making Harrison/Moss like money, but he'll definitely ask for more than the $2 million the Steelers have already committed to Ced, and I can't really see the Steelers - knowing that organization - ponying up for more than that. Randle-El is a class act and a fine representative of the type of people Pittsburgh likes to keep around, but I couldn't see the Steelers going more than $3 mil per, and I bet he could get more than that somewhere else (read: Dallas)

Dook
01-30-2006, 02:51 PM
$3 million per year for Randel El? No way. He's barely worth half that and that contract would kill our future. Remember we are already paying Ward, Hartings big money, our LB's each make $3-5 million a year and we are going to have to pay Ben and Polo big time money to keep them. Also Willie P. is going to get a nice pay day.

ARE is probably gone and it doesn't really worry me too much. He won't be as good on other teams because he can't really beat you on talent alone.

We have a good running game, a good #1 WR in Ward, and a good TE so whatever Randel El gets is because of that. Put him as a #1 WR on a team that does not have as many options and he'll get shut down. As a #2 he has some worth but not $2m a year. I really hope someone does pay him that, it will be like the Chief's getting Kendrell Bell. Their loss is our gain.

I also think we will draft a WR, hopefully #1. A 1st round pick at the 32nd position is NOT someone who is going to get a lot of money. Martin Nance is my favorite because he was Ben's favorite WR in college but Nate Washington and Quincy Morgan will also compete for the #3 WR position.

If we do keep Randel El I think we should cut Cedric Wilson. Yes I know he had a couple of catch's in the playoffs but he's not worth $2.4 million especially since we need to be mindful of our future salary cap situation. I'm very sure that Morgan or Washington can put up Wilson like numbers for half the price.

Steel - X
01-30-2006, 03:28 PM
I have heard reports that Robinson only wants to be a QB in the NFL and if thats the case he will not be an NFL player. I think adding Nate Burleson some how would be a great addition. Some of my other picks are as follows UFA, and RFA

1. Charles Lee
2. Nate Burelson - OK I am reaching but would be nice.
3. Patrick Crayton - Was good before the injury
4. Kevin Curtis - Look at his stats could be a nice fit but with Bruce being at the end could be hard
5. Korean Robinson - has his issues but is a burner

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
01-30-2006, 03:32 PM
It would be nice to goet Nance...Ben should be able to get in sync with him quickly and the 2 of them with Miller would be a great young group to grow up with

nu4everfan15
01-30-2006, 05:03 PM
how bout joe jurevicious. besides he is a seahawk right now, he is a consistent player w/ great hands, granted he would run past anyone, but that is alright. he is an ufa 2, plus he wont cost reggie wayne type, or even ARE money.

83-Steelers-43
01-30-2006, 05:18 PM
I personally see Randle El returning next season. He still hasn't proven to me that he's a great 2nd slot WR. He's proven to me that he can return a kick when he decides to go north to south instead of east to west. He's confuses defenses on gagdet plays. He doesn't exactly catch the deep ball or can even be considered a deep threat in my opinion. I'm sure he will ask for a raise, but nothing extravagant. I think the Steelers realize that and more importantly I think other teams realize it. Nobody is going to be breaking the bank to snag Randle El.

Even If El was not to go next year I would still like to see the Steeler draft a WR over 6'2". I don't want another El/Wilson type of WR. Quincy Morgan pulled in a few this season and dropped a few. He was solid on KR's. Besides that he isn't the WR I would want in the first or second slot on my WR core. He may change my mind next year, but for the most part I haven't seen much of him this season. The same goes for Nate Washington. He's still young, hardly played at all this season. I personally need more time to feel him out and make an opinion on the guy.

Nothing wrong with drafting another weapon (WR) for Ben's future.

clevestinks
01-30-2006, 06:56 PM
I think Nate can be used as a secret weapon this week, this guy has wheels, and he has hardly played, he will come in under their radar

nu4everfan15
01-30-2006, 07:23 PM
i say if randle el is gone next year... lets use him up in the super bowl. i think we need to get the most out of him as possible. i would love to see the steelers come out and run either a wr screen to him or a reverse on the first place, knowing that seattle will be bookin it and overpursueing like no other out of adrenaline.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-30-2006, 07:25 PM
Why are we talking off season moves before the biggest game of our lives in less than a week ?

but ok, that being said, El wont command all that much money unless he has a monster game in the SB so chances are he'll come back, especially if he's the no. 2 guy again behind Hines. And should be fairly affordable. But I'd like to see Michael Robinson ina steeler uniform for sure too.

Suitanim
01-30-2006, 08:07 PM
Yeah, especially when we have this guy on our practice squad...

http://media3.steelers.com/team/player/49243/

I will say this. Hagan sucks. He waits for balls to come to him, has bad mechanics, and seems as soft as the conference he came from.

nu4everfan15
01-30-2006, 08:35 PM
yep hagan is alil rough around the edges... his qb's at az st helped him out def, and the lack of defense in the pac 10.
im sry but i think michael robinson is a fluke... unless he plays special teams or something

TapOut64
01-30-2006, 11:37 PM
I for see ARE in a Steelers uniform next year.