PDA

View Full Version : Post-Baltimore thoughts II

mesaSteeler
12-28-2009, 07:23 AM
NFL from the sidelines

After hobnobbing around the NFL in the press boxes and sidelines, sports reporter Dale Lolley will let you know the insider scoop.
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/

Sunday, December 27, 2009
Post-Baltimore thoughts II

I'm sure people in Baltimore will be complaining about 11 penalties for 113 yards the Ravens were assessed in their 23-20 loss to the Steelers Sunday, but honestly, there wasn't one that when reviewed wasn't an actual penalty.

The Ravens lost their composure quite a bit in this one.

There was no reason for Terrell Suggs to block anyone in the back on Domonique Foxworth's interception return for a touchdown. But he did it.

There was really no reason for Kelley "I celebrate every catch like a jackass because I've apparently never had one before" Washington to hold Deshea Townsend like a 12-year-old at a middle school dance during a Willis McGahee touchdown run. But he did it.

And there was no reason for ONiel Cousins to go all WWE on LaMarr Woodley right in front of an official five seconds after Joe Flacco had released the football to draw a penalty that moved the Ravens out of field goal range. But, again, he did it.

They were stupid penalties by what is apparently, a stupid team.

But they seem to be the norm for the Ravens, who have been penalized 110 times this season compared to just 83 for their opponents.

All you need to know about how those things are treated on that team is that when Haloti Ngata who is a great player was penalized 15 yards in the third quarter for a late hit on a punt that moved the Ravens back to their own 35 instead of getting the ball at the 50, he was all smiles and getting props from his teammates on the bench.

That said, the Ravens are likely going to the playoffs and the Steelers aren't. That's what losing games to the likes of the Browns, Raiders and Chiefs will do.

The Ravens traditionally beat up on weak teams and lose to the better ones. That hasn't changed this season, which is why they'll probably beat up on the Raiders next week to clinch a spot in the postseason.

Indianapolis head coach Jim Caldwell probably got himself taken off some Christmas card lists Sunday with his decision to bench his starters most notably Peyton Manning with just a 15-10 lead against the Jets.

I'm sure Steelers fans are ticked off by that decision, but I refer back to the aforementioned losses to Cleveland, Kansas City and Oakland.

Rashard Mendenhall has great talent. What he does not seem to have is great vision. And that spin move is something this coaching staff has to spend the offseason getting him to take out of his bag of tricks.

That stuff might work in high school. It might work in college. But all it's going to do in the NFL is get you tackled - if you don't fumble.

Willie Parker is showing he still has something left in the tank. He came very close to breaking free for long touchdown on one of his only two carries.

Pittsburgh's run defense has now given up 171 yards rushing to the Browns and 175 to the Ravens in their past three games. The Steelers only gave up 60 yards rushing to Green Bay, but that was more because the Packers only ran the ball 12 times.

There's more to that than this team just missing Aaron Smith and Troy Polamalu.

The defense is so concerned about getting burned through the air that it is giving up yards on the ground in bunches.

Posted by Dale Lolley at 11:00 PM 3 comments Links to this post

steelwalls
12-28-2009, 07:31 AM
I'm sure people in Baltimore will be complaining about 11 penalties for 113 yards the Ravens were assessed in their 23-20 loss to the Steelers Sunday, but honestly, there wasn't one that when reviewed wasn't an actual penalty.

Glad someone else said it. I said that in another thread.

I mean these wouldnt even be calls you think "well that may have been in poor taste" those penalties were more like if you don't call that you are freakin blind and don't deserve to be a ref period. I can't even believe after I reviewed them all it would even be brought up by anyone that the refs "helped". These were down right blatent.

Crow-Magnon
12-28-2009, 08:17 AM

I mean these wouldnt even be calls you think "well that may have been in poor taste" those penalties were more like if you don't call that you are freakin blind and don't deserve to be a ref period. I can't even believe after I reviewed them all it would even be brought up by anyone that the refs "helped". These were down right blatent.

I thought the hold on Washington was a little ticky-tack, but the rest were legit. Especially the PF calls. Those guys are lucky I'm not the HC,because they'd be paying some hefty fines right now for stupid play.

I gotta give props to Ray Rice, though. He has to be sick to his stomach to have rushed for so many yards against a team that hasn't given up over a 100 yards in years.....all for naught.

kittenfantastico76
12-28-2009, 08:30 AM

I didn't get to watch the game (it wasn't aired here in Alabama yesterday) - but as soon as the game was over I had people all over facebook/friends back home complaining about all the "B.S. Calls" - half of my friends who are Raven fans were complaining and seem to think that there is some sort of conspiracy theory against the Ravens and that everyone in the NFL thinks that the Steelers are the golden children... I'm not sure what alternate universe they are living in but it's clearly not the same one I see for sure.

Most of my pals back home that love the Ravens weren't downing our team, or the calls by the officials they were downing the Ravens and how their game unfolded, which made me feel a bit better because that is usually how I take a loss - I get disappointed in my team, I don't make up excuses against the other team... usually ;)

And I have to say I'm glad that someone FINALLY said something about Mendenhall's "spin move" - I've been yelling at him to cut that mess out for a while now. It's not working. Sure it looks flashy and might work here and there but the NFL is on to you Mendenhall - I love you dude but let's try something new!

All in all - I'm happy with the outcome of yesterday's game. I had to watch the score only at the top of my screen while dealing with the Falcon's game, and the Saints game, neither of which I wanted to watch - I got to see the last few mins of the game, which equaled Ben taking a knee... not very exciting.

*debates the pros and cons of NFL Season ticket for next year*

GO STEELERS! :tt04:

kittenfantastico76
12-28-2009, 08:32 AM
I thought the hold on Washington was a little ticky-tack, but the rest were legit. Especially the PF calls. Those guys are lucky I'm not the HC,because they'd be paying some hefty fines right now for stupid play.

I gotta give props to Ray Rice, though. He has to be sick to his stomach to have rushed for so many yards against a team that hasn't given up over a 100 yards in years.....all for naught.

I think you're right about Ray Rice. That always makes me sick when I watch a game and one of the guys on the field gets incredible yardage and then nothing comes of it. It would drive me insane to be in his shoes. He didn't look happy at all on the sidelines yesterday at the end of the game. Then again if I was him, I would have felt the same way.

markymarc
12-28-2009, 12:36 PM

Come on CM that was a legit hold on Washington. The funny thing is that he didn't really have to block or hold because McGahee would have still gotten the TD IMO. You guys are very lucky to have Ray Rice. He is an amazing player and no doubt the best offensive player you have right now. I really hope he goes to the Pro Bowl because he deserves that trip after the season he put up!

Larry
12-28-2009, 02:53 PM
That was definitely a legit hold, some people would complain that it didn't affect the play but that doesn't matter. His hands were on the outside, not inside, and he grabbed jersey.

http://boards.baltimoreravens.com/topic/17514-drew-forester-nailed-it-unfortunately/

This is how most Ravens fans feel. They are pissed off at the players for being consistently stupid, and they feel betrayed by the lack of discipline. Suggs and Ngata are getting reamed by the Baltimore media. Not one of my Ravens fan friends is blaming the refs, they're disillusioned and pissed at the players/coaches.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/News/Articles/2009/12/Eisenberg_-_Ravens_are_Still_Alive.aspx

Hilarious that two 9-7 teams will get the wild cards...maybe an 8-8 team will get one!

Angus Burgher
12-28-2009, 04:43 PM
It is strange how the AFC has faltered this year. Last year, an 11-5 team (the Pats) didn't get into the playoffs. Of course, an 8-8 team did (the Chargers) but overall the playoff contenders had better records in 2008. Strange season overall. So many good teams have lost to bad ones, and the Steelers are no exception to this, obviously. Unfortunately, they may be the worst example of it being as to how they lost to THREE awful teams, or four if you count the Bears loss, which you probably should, considering how shitty they've turned out to be.

I still hope we get into the Playoffs but I'm not going to hold my breath... I just hope we win next week and end the season on a high note. I'm glad that, at least, this didn't turn out to be a losing season like I was worried it would, but I hope we finish better than simply breaking even.