PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben's ability to throw the long ball

huntingteacher
12-28-2009, 09:31 AM
Ben does everything well except the long ball I/M/O. He underthrows that type of pass more often than not. I'd guess it's not a strength issue, but a mechanic issue on long, arcing passes. When he throws hard passes on a rope, he does not have to judge distance as much as on passes a reciever must run under. Wallace's speed is under-utilized. It also would not hurt Ben to work out a bit more in the off season. He has gained 10-15 pounds since last year.

Go Steelers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gnutella
12-28-2009, 09:41 AM
I wonder if that shoulder injury last season took a little bit of mustard off his deep ball. It looked better when he was younger.

pepsyman1
12-28-2009, 10:08 AM
I wonder if that shoulder injury last season took a little bit of mustard off his deep ball. It looked better when he was younger.

I think you might be right on that one. I remember his rookie year he seemed to have an incredible arm. I think he's still got a good arm but I don't get the impression that he's got the cannon he first gave the impression of possessing.

I was watching some youtube video of Terry Bradshaw yesterday and Terry seemed to throw deep passes almost effortlessly. Off the back foot, moving to the side, falling away...whatever...50 yard ROPES. I had almost forgotten how many deep passes the Steelers used to run in those days.

Gnutella
12-28-2009, 10:47 AM
Bradshaw had a cannon, that's for sure.

I hope Roethlisberger's deep ball improves again, especially since his shoulder injury wasn't as severe as it could have been. I think about what happened to Jim McMahon. He had his shoulder destroyed, and he was never the same QB thereafter. I think McMahon could have played well into the '90s if not for that injury. We should be thankful that Roethlisberger's shoulder injury was mild compared to McMahon's. Here's hoping that with some effort, he can get his deep ball back again.

Rhee Rhee
12-28-2009, 10:55 AM

nononono not true.. remember superbowl XL? that pass to hines that he just chucked after getting away from winstrom? hines had to come back for it and he was maybe 50 yards from the goal line....

AND if u look back at the highlights from that season and that playoff run... his passes to antwan and cedrick wilson were usually short just a tad, making the two receivers have to come back to the ball...

slippy
12-28-2009, 10:56 AM
i disagree. ben has always had an average deep ball; almost always underthrown. only brady, manning and brees throw excellent deep balls, on target, all the time.

the good news is that is the only weakness in his game. that, and maybe forcing the ball when he has too much time to throw.

Psyychoward86
12-28-2009, 11:07 AM
has he ever really had a deep ball? Damn near everytime he tosses one, the receiver has to turn most of his body around to go get it

atlsteelers
12-28-2009, 11:22 AM
ben holds on to the ball forever and when he finally decides to throw deep the WR is already deep as all get out and ben just can not throw the ball that deep and still get it past the defender.

this is where ben should spend is offseason - working on getting the ball away more quicky. its almost as if ben waits until the recievers are out of their breaks before he throws.

markymarc
12-28-2009, 12:30 PM
I'm happy if that is the biggest complaint we can have against Ben :tt02:

Steeldude
12-28-2009, 12:31 PM

he had the same problem in college. his long throws are short and hanging. he throws off his back foot rather than following through.

IMO, ken anderson should be let go at the end of the season. how can he not see such a problem in BR's mechanics/fundamentals?

tony hipchest
12-28-2009, 01:02 PM
I was watching some youtube video of Terry Bradshaw yesterday and Terry seemed to throw deep passes almost effortlessly. Off the back foot, moving to the side, falling away...whatever...50 yard ROPES. I had almost forgotten how many deep passes the Steelers used to run in those days.

to be fair, bradshaw was a highschool javelin champion in track and field, with what i believe was a national record, 70 yard toss.

bens long balls do look a bit more like a hail mary.

steelcity1974
12-28-2009, 03:03 PM
I think a lot of the mechanics issues which cause the ball the drop short are due to him scrambling left or right and then trying to throw deep...or coming to a complete stop (like the referenced SBXL pass to Hines). If he has a clean pocket to step up into (which is rare) his long ball is just fine. Maybe not Brees or Manning accuracy, but better than average.

CPanther95
12-28-2009, 03:06 PM
When he develops his timing with Wallace and can hit him in full stride, the perception will change.

steelin games
12-28-2009, 03:23 PM
He just has to account for the better speed we have at wr and throw the ball sooner and let wallace or holmes run under it.
:thumbsup:

Angus Burgher
12-28-2009, 03:24 PM
Can we condense all of these "Ben can't throw a deep ball" threads into one?

GodofGridiron
12-28-2009, 06:25 PM
When he develops his timing with Wallace and can hit him in full stride, the perception will change.

He still had the same issues with another WR (Washington) where he could never really hit in stride--worked with Nate 4 seasons. I specifically remember last Superbowl vs AZ where in the first Quarter Nate got behind Rogers Cromartie by at least 3 yrds and Ben hung it short and Cromartie made the play negating the TD.

smokin3000gt
12-28-2009, 07:00 PM
Ben does everything well except the long ball I/M/O. He underthrows that type of pass more often than not. I'd guess it's not a strength issue, but a mechanic issue on long, arcing passes. When he throws hard passes on a rope, he does not have to judge distance as much as on passes a reciever must run under. Wallace's speed is under-utilized. It also would not hurt Ben to work out a bit more in the off season. He has gained 10-15 pounds since last year.

Go Steelers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm willing to bet 4 guys hanging on his jersey has something to do with it

Preacher
12-28-2009, 07:01 PM
I'm willing to bet 4 guys hanging on his jersey has something to do with it

Naa.

Ben has always been lacking in that one area.

Hey, every QB has a weakpoint. This is Ben's weakpoint. All in all, I'll take it.

CPanther95
12-28-2009, 07:09 PM
He still had the same issues with another WR (Washington) where he could never really hit in stride--worked with Nate 4 seasons. I specifically remember last Superbowl vs AZ where in the first Quarter Nate got behind Rogers Cromartie by at least 3 yrds and Ben hung it short and Cromartie made the play negating the TD.

But to hit him in stride, you have to commit to throwing to him before he outruns your arm. Nate was unreliable enough that he was usually the 3rd read for Ben.

California-Steel
12-28-2009, 07:15 PM
40 to 50 yards is all you need to be a deep ball passer. Ben has no ideal of timing. He waits for the reciever to get open. He should not do this. When the receiver is even with the defender is when the ball needs to be thrown, sometimes even before even.

Have none of you ever heard of the term "if I'm even I'm leavin"? This is a well know term that receivers use to descibe being open on a streak or double move.

Ben's problem is that he either does not know this or does not trust this. But he must. Most times the ball needs to be out way before the receive is open. Just watch Maning or Brady.

I really find it hard to believe that no one has not mentioned this to Ben, but each week I see this OK now he has 2 steps, let me see if I can get it out there. Ben is the worst deep ball thrower in the NFL.

Rick5895
12-28-2009, 07:19 PM
IMO it is a question of mechanics with his throws. Against the Ravens for example with Wallace 5 yards behind the DB, he didn't set his feet. More often than not his deep throws are a result of his scrambling., he doesn't set his feet. same when he throws them from the pocket. He seems to throw somewhat flat footed.

Preacher
12-28-2009, 07:35 PM
40 to 50 yards is all you need to be a deep ball passer. Ben has no ideal of timing. He waits for the reciever to get open. He should not do this. When the receiver is even with the defender is when the ball needs to be thrown, sometimes even before even.

Have none of you ever heard of the term "if I'm even I'm leavin"? This is a well know term that receivers use to descibe being open on a streak or double move.

Ben's problem is that he either does not know this or does not trust this. But he must. Most times the ball needs to be out way before the receive is open. Just watch Maning or Brady.

I really find it hard to believe that no one has not mentioned this to Ben, but each week I see this OK now he has 2 steps, let me see if I can get it out there. Ben is the worst deep ball thrower in the NFL.

It is Ben's biggest weakness, but this statement is utterly ridiculous. Would you rather have Charlie Fry, Russel, any of the Bills QB's, etc etc. throwing the ball deep for us? I sure wouldn't.

AlleghanyAdams87
12-28-2009, 07:43 PM
All about timing, and trust in a reciever. The deep threats on this team are rarely the first read, so a receiver with the speed of wallace will outrun most qbs arms

Rick5895
12-28-2009, 07:44 PM
All about timing, and trust in a reciever. The deep threats on this team are rarely the first read, so a receiver with the speed of wallace will outrun most qbs arms

I couldn't agree more with the speed of Wallace