PDA

View Full Version : Was it a mistake .......

GodofGridiron
12-28-2009, 07:09 PM
.....by not trying harder to retain McFadden (whom i believe is much better than Gay) or retaining Anthony Smith ? Tyrone (Carter) is determined, i can see that much, but hes in over his head....He just doesnt have the IQ nor the athleticism that Troy does. At least Anthony had athleticism (even though he could be a bonehead). OC's understand that both Gay and Carter are big liabilities on this unit and theyll continue to attack them.

Troy is the most athletic DB we have and that doesnt say very much for Ike (Chimpanzee fingers) Taylor or Deshea and Gay.

The only way i see immediate improvement on this defense (outside of Troy healing) is youth infusion on the defensive line, replace Farrior and find another quality CB/depth at Safety.

What do we have in Keenan Lewis ? Is he on IR ?

SteelCityMom
12-28-2009, 07:24 PM
From all I've heard, McFadden has been having a terrible year in AZ. His numbers are worse than Ike's and probably a lot like Gays. So essentially, the Steelers saved a bit of money for the same quality of play.

I don't think Carter is a bad player at all, I just think he does much better at the FS position than he does at SS. Anthony Smith was let go for a reason...and you named it, he's a bonehead. Sure he may be athletic, but he used to get burned just as bad as Carter does now. There's no shenanigans with Carter though, he's a good team player.

I do agree that the defense does need some youth, and I think we'll see a lot of that next year. Not sure about Lewis though...I think he is on IR, but not 100% sure.

devilsdancefloor
12-28-2009, 07:35 PM
.....by not trying harder to retain McFadden (whom i believe is much better than Gay) or retaining Anthony Smith ? Tyrone (Carter) is determined, i can see that much, but hes in over his head....He just doesnt have the IQ nor the athleticism that Troy does. At least Anthony had athleticism (even though he could be a bonehead). OC's understand that both Gay and Carter are big liabilities on this unit and theyll continue to attack them.

Troy is the most athletic DB we have and that doesnt say very much for Ike (Chimpanzee fingers) Taylor or Deshea and Gay.

The only way i see immediate improvement on this defense (outside of Troy healing) is youth infusion on the defensive line, replace Farrior and find another quality CB/depth at Safety.

1st off lewis is not on IR unless it happened today (he was told he has to make the ST squad to see playing time Yeah i am scratching my head too). 2nd A Smith is in Jacksonville and i watched the game against the colts and he looked lost to say the least.

Cater looks and reacts better as a FS , but gay well he doesnt look good at all almost like he took 2 steps back in his development. Deshea is the oldman of the group savvy enough, but lost a step maybe 2 (but i will take him over gay anyday of the week). Burnett needs to play more and lewis needs to get on the damn field he was a beast in college. We are old in a few critical postions on D and it is showing. I hope we go NT, ILB & FS in the draft.

steelerchad
12-28-2009, 07:49 PM

This is not really Carter's fault. There is effort there, but he's falling short in most games. If any of us expected him to step in for Troy and not miss a beat I think we're fooling ourselves. He's a backup after all. Backups are backups because..... well they're backups. He's replacing arguably the best safety in the league and a future HOF'er. Gay on the other hand, has basically sucked. Looks like he can't cover, can't tackle. And at this point I think his confidence is lacking. I think DB's need to play with a little swagger, an attitude if you will. When you're getting beat you start to think before you react and in the NFL, a split seconds hesitation is deadly.
I hope he will recover and be solid next year, but much like Sweed, I'm worried the mental part of failing is going to cause more mistakes in the future.

MasterOfPuppets
12-28-2009, 07:51 PM

lets see what some of the arizona fans think of bmac....
http://forums.azcardinals.com/showthread.php?t=46129

McFadden has passed Francisco (from last year) as the worst DB on our roster. Please cut is *** before he loses another game. Teams now know how bad he is and are attacking him. Kenny Britt was able to catch over him, Cook a unknown TE came in and did the same. Fischer caught on and they were able to drive 99 yards to beat us. McFadden needs to go to the bench or Free Agency. Sooner than later please. Watch the tape. It is all there.

I agree McFadden's play was a key contributor to the loss, especially that first 4 down conversion in the final. Should have never been completed. He had perfect position and the receiver just reached over the top of him and grabbed the ball.

McFadden should give half his salary back to the team.

We let Hood go to sign this smuck! Big mistake there! But were stuck cause we have no one better to replace him...Brown, Adams? If Bmac doesnt get his act together soon were in big trouble! He cant do any worse so heres to him playin better! Hood was a far superior CB were missing him right now I never wanted him to leave and am furious at the front office for the mistake

He is not a good corner. All he had to do was turn head around and the game is over. He is constantly getting beat. There is a reason why the Steelers let him go

AGREE McWhiff is horrible. Put in Toler and lets see what he can do. Mcfadden gets beat CONSITANTLY. Put you **** hand up and the game is over.

No doubt McFadden has been a disappointment.

Texasteel
12-28-2009, 08:09 PM
I am still a Carter fan. I think he has done a good job for us over the years as a backup for us at FS. He has had some good play this year as well, again at FS.

McFadden could not out play Gay last year, and doesn't seem to be doing any better this year.

frankvctr
12-29-2009, 01:01 AM
http://profootball.scout.com/2/926374.html

Scout.com's Ed Thompson takes a look at the three cornerbacks, safeties and linebackers that NFL quarterbacks have gone after with no mercy this season. And he points out which players at each position are struggling the most when called upon to defend the pass.

Cornerbacks

Ike Taylor, Pittsburgh Steelers: Quarterbacks have gone after the seventh-year corner a 90 times this season, more than any other defender in the NFL. Taylor has allowed a league-high 54 catches (60 percent) for 679 yards and two touchdowns. He's broken-up 11 attempts.

Bryant McFadden, Arizona Cardinals: 87 passes have been thrown McFadden's way, and he's allowed 45 completions (51.7 percent) for 648 yards and a score. He's knocked away 13 throws.

Derek Cox, Jacksonville Jaguars: The rookie out of William & Mary has been forced to defend 80 passes and has allowed 47 of them to be caught (58.8 percent) for 644 yards and five touchdowns. Cox has broken-up seven catchable passes.

Worst Burned Rate: The Carolina Panthers' Chris Gamble has allowed 74.0 percent of the passes attempted against him to be completed. That's the worst mark among all corners who have defended at least 33 passes this year (an average of three per game). The Titans' Nick Harper is second (72.5 percent) followed by the Seahawks' Josh Wilson (69 percent), the Colts' Tim Jennings (67.3 percent) and Dolphins rookie Vontae Davis and Texans veteran Dunta Robinson at 64.7 percent each.

stlrtruck
12-29-2009, 08:06 AM
The difference for Steelers players is the system. Most players, when they leave, do not have the glorious careers they thought they would have. Those with success are far and few in between. The only two that come to mind are Hardy Nickerson (bucs) and Rod Woodson (49ers and ravens).

It's the same with players that left this year. As for those remaining, I believe it has to do with understanding what the other 10 players responsibility is and knowing what their inclinations are. With that understanding it enables them to play better. The difference this year, unfortunately without Troy, is the complete understanding and confidence in the other players playing defense.

fansince'76
12-29-2009, 08:13 AM
No, because at least Gay isn't costing us $5 mil a year to suck.

Anthony Smith? Do you remember how Smith became a pariah after the Pats* game 2 years ago, and how he remained so until his departure?

SteelGhost
12-29-2009, 11:05 AM
http://profootball.scout.com/2/926374.html

Scout.com's Ed Thompson takes a look at the three cornerbacks, safeties and linebackers that NFL quarterbacks have gone after with no mercy this season. And he points out which players at each position are struggling the most when called upon to defend the pass.

Cornerbacks

Ike Taylor, Pittsburgh Steelers: Quarterbacks have gone after the seventh-year corner a 90 times this season, more than any other defender in the NFL. Taylor has allowed a league-high 54 catches (60 percent) for 679 yards and two touchdowns. He's broken-up 11 attempts.

Bryant McFadden, Arizona Cardinals: 87 passes have been thrown McFadden's way, and he's allowed 45 completions (51.7 percent) for 648 yards and a score. He's knocked away 13 throws.

Derek Cox, Jacksonville Jaguars: The rookie out of William & Mary has been forced to defend 80 passes and has allowed 47 of them to be caught (58.8 percent) for 644 yards and five touchdowns. Cox has broken-up seven catchable passes.

Worst Burned Rate: The Carolina Panthers' Chris Gamble has allowed 74.0 percent of the passes attempted against him to be completed. That's the worst mark among all corners who have defended at least 33 passes this year (an average of three per game). The Titans' Nick Harper is second (72.5 percent) followed by the Seahawks' Josh Wilson (69 percent), the Colts' Tim Jennings (67.3 percent) and Dolphins rookie Vontae Davis and Texans veteran Dunta Robinson at 64.7 percent each.

:doh: And they didn't mention Ike's stone hands :uhh:

The FO and Papa LeBeau have to take a deep look at Ike's "skills" for the next season, we DEFINITELY need young blood or FA help for the secondary. As much as I like Deshea he was toasted all day last Sunday. I don't know if they are going to make changes in the defensive coaching staff, lacking Troy has exposed Horton big time IMHO.

SteelerEmpire
12-29-2009, 11:15 AM
Carter seems to play FS better than SS.... Remember, we had possibly the best Defensive Backfield last year with basically these same guys.... The only difference this year is the whole where Troy P. and McFadden were...
Oh yea... the D-line put a lot more pressure on the QB last year forcing QB's to make "a lot " of hurried passes... playing right into the DB's hands..... this year, QB's have had enough time to get the snap, eat lunch, and then throw through a bunch of weak Defenders....