PDA

View Full Version : Great post from Colts Fan!

eafratitpm3
12-29-2009, 01:34 AM
I know this is a Steeler Forum but as a retired veteran form the Air Force this letter really hit home from a Colts fan to their GM:

Also, BP explain what I say to the Life long fan, who skipped Christmas gifts with his wife so he could afford drive to Indy from Georgia. Stay in a hotel for 2 days and enjoy the downtown & use the tickets I gave them before he deploys to Afganistan for the 3rd time. How do I explain the lack of respect you have for the fans, the game and tradition itself of playing to win, especially when history is in the making?

This guy is a professional, a professional soldier, they play to win all the time and have a high probablity of injury......should they take time off to rest just because??? I pray to God this isn't the 1st and last Colt's game he gets to see...you ruined their Christmas gift and he has this to take with him next week when he deploys...Nice work Bill and Tom...

PS: Bill I aplogized for your stupidity and lack of respect to the man and his wife!

GO STEELERS!:tt04::tt04:

Neil-Still-Rules-14
12-29-2009, 01:38 AM
As much as I wanted the Colts to win, there are no guarantees that the franchise gives to its fans. I hate to say it, but the Colts made the decision they felt best for their team. If it works out, we'll see. Also, I think using the example of a soldier in this letter is a tad perverse.

eafratitpm3
12-29-2009, 01:50 AM
Yes but you have the Offense to score quick and get a comfortable lead and then pull some starters but pulling most of your starters with a 5 point lead at home none the less was chicken sh*t to say the least. What does that say to the other starters that were left in the game, what if one of them got injured due to back ups being in there. If they had their second string QB (Sorgi) that would have been a different story but when you throw a rookie in there with no experience you are basically just giving up. Also, let me ak you this what would have happened if he would have gotten injured.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
12-29-2009, 01:58 AM
I imagine if Painter got injured Manning would've been back in. I would've wanted to play my starters through at least the 3rd. But anyways, I just think that bringing up a member of the armed forces when talking about a game is a little bit wrong.

Acerinox
12-29-2009, 02:07 AM
The guy took his chances. It's not like its a big SURPRISE that, by Week 16, Indy have smashed their division, locked up the playoffs and are resting their starters.
The strategy has always worked out so well for them in the past, why on earth would they stop now? :/

eafratitpm3
12-29-2009, 02:25 AM
The guy took his chances. It's not like its a big SURPRISE that, by Week 16, Indy have smashed their division, locked up the playoffs and are resting their starters.
The strategy has always worked out so well for them in the past, why on earth would they stop now? :/

Yeah, it worked out real well for them in 05 didn't it.

GoSlash27
12-29-2009, 08:05 AM
I don't like it, and I especially don't like invoking "da troops" in something as trivial as a football game. His obligation to do whatever he feels is in the best interest of his team outweighs his obligation to entertain his fans. While I might not personally agree with the decision, it's not mine to make.

Also, I'm not into blaming other teams for our own misfortunes. We shouldn't have allowed ourselves to get into a position where the outcome of the Indy game mattered in the first place.

RoethlisBURGHer
12-29-2009, 07:07 PM
I would be pissed if I had tickets to that game.

In my honest opinion, there are only three times starters should be pulled from a game:

1. The starter is injured
2. The team is being blown out
3. The team is blowing out the other team

As a fan paying the price of attending a professional football game (tickets, parking, food & drinks), I want to see Peyton Manning playing the game, not Curtis Painter.

And if you're going to pull Manning, put in Sorgi. At least he can manage the game and not blow it like rookie Painter (who was never that good playing college ball at Purdue anyhow).

HughC
12-29-2009, 07:53 PM
Looks like Mr. Polian is getting his feet held to the fire by Colt fans.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2009/12/28/1222925/bill-polian-called-out-by-colts

Here's a portion of that column:
After making a bunch of claims that how winning 23 straight games was important and getting the most wins in a decade was important but going 16-0 wasn't (huh?), Bill Polian started taking some callers. To HANK FM's credit, they did not seem to screen the callers for obvious Polian bootlickers. For this, we commend HANK FM.

The people who called in seemed to gracefully and articulately express the anger fans had towards the decision. The lady caller (whose name escapes me) offered one of the best arguments, but Polian's response to her was anything but articulate or graceful. He accused her on air of reading from "talking points," and did not allow her to respond to his accusation. The final caller, who was cut off when the show was seemingly stopped short ten minutes early, was the one who sounded as if he got the under Polian's skin. He stated pretty much what many of us have said the last 24 hours. Polian made a claim that the Colts give maximum effort during every game, and expect that effort from players, coaches, and personnel people. The caller countered with an obvious, and devastating retort: Benching starters at a critical time in a ball game is NOT giving maximum effort to win.

This seemed to drive Polian nuts.

7SteelGal43
12-29-2009, 08:27 PM
As much as I wanted the Colts to win, there are no guarantees that the franchise gives to its fans. I hate to say it, but the Colts made the decision they felt best for their team. If it works out, we'll see. Also, I think using the example of a soldier in this letter is a tad perverse.

Oh I don't know about that. These soldiers are paid very little and get meager compensation and benefiets in return considering they lay their life on the line for us on foreign soil. They don't get to rest up for the really big game. There is no second string to pick up the slack. It's go hard all the time. A much greater risk and sacrifice if you ask me, then a multi million dollar earning athlete who plays a game for a living who may perhaps sustain an injury that most likely will only sideline for a time.

Plus, consider the average fan who pays a huge sum for a ticket, food, beverage, etc.....only to watch his fave team throw one off as the highest paid athletes on the team are on the sideline chillin?

tony hipchest
12-29-2009, 08:41 PM
Plus, consider the average fan who pays a huge sum for a ticket, food, beverage, etc.....only to watch his fave team throw one off as the highest paid athletes on the team are on the sideline chillin?sounds like any typical pre-season game that has gone on for years to me. :noidea:

devilsdancefloor
12-29-2009, 09:08 PM
sounds like any typical pre-season game that has gone on for years to me. :noidea:

Big difference is this was a regular season game. i really think what has really gotten to the folks around here is the new stadium after just 1 year was 28 million in the hole. well guess who paid for it (raises hand and i cant stand the damn team). Not to give maximum effort to get the win is not acceptable. All i have heard the past few weeks is how important the regular season wins are. To break the * record of regular season wins. But to beat the * record of a perfect season isnt worth it to them. Bill is as good as gone in Indy especially if they choke (and they will) in the playoffs. i went to the colts vs. the * game with a friend he has season tickets. These where not great seats but decent $94, parking $40, beer 7.50 if you call bud beer (BLAH). But honestly this recession has hit Indiana hard i can see a half empty stadium in future.

steel striker
12-29-2009, 09:34 PM
To me the defensive players might need rest but, the offense is all based on timing. I would not be surprised if the colts were flat and, one and done like in 05. I guess they did not learn there lesson.

SteelersinCA
12-29-2009, 09:34 PM
I must have missed the part on the ticket that says so and so is guaranteed to play. When you buy a baseball ticket do you get mad when the #4 pitcher starts over the #1 guy? Do the Colts tickets say The Indianapolis Mannings against the Jets? From the highlights I saw it looked to me like the Colts played the Jets.

tony hipchest
12-29-2009, 10:05 PM
Big difference is this was a regular season game. i really think what has really gotten to the folks around here is the new stadium after just 1 year was 28 million in the hole. well guess who paid for it (raises hand and i cant stand the damn team). Not to give maximum effort to get the win is not acceptable. All i have heard the past few weeks is how important the regular season wins are. To break the * record of regular season wins. But to beat the * record of a perfect season isnt worth it to them. Bill is as good as gone in Indy especially if they choke (and they will) in the playoffs. i went to the colts vs. the * game with a friend he has season tickets. These where not great seats but decent $94, parking $40, beer 7.50 if you call bud beer (BLAH). But honestly this recession has hit Indiana hard i can see a half empty stadium in future.

heres the thing though...

poll all of colts fans and ask them if they would rather...

a) see the colts start all starters and lose a game at home to go 14-1

b) see the colts pull half the starters and still win on the road to go 15-0

...and i will almost guarantee that the majority are more concerned about the record than the chance to see the starters play a full, regular season, game live.

these guys have such a patriots inferiority complex, the thought of going 18-0 meant the world to them.

i now get the feeling that even winning a ring and trophy will not be enough.

devilsdancefloor
12-29-2009, 10:12 PM
heres the thing though...

poll all of colts fans and ask them if they would rather...

a) see the colts start all starters and lose a game at home to go 14-1

b) see the colts pull half the starters and still win on the road to go 15-0

...and i will almost guarantee that the majority are more concerned about the record than the chance to see the starters play a full, regular season, game live.

these guys have such a patriots inferiority complex, the thought of going 18-0 meant the world to them.

i now get the feeling that even winning a ring and trophy will not be enough.

Honestly i cant stand the *, but the hate (inferiority complex) is what fuels most of these fans around here.

RoethlisBURGHer
12-30-2009, 06:05 PM

Not when football players constantly refer to the game they play as a "war" or a "battle" and call themselves "warriors".

Preacher
12-30-2009, 10:41 PM
IMO, it is really simple.

When I buy tickets to go see the Steelers, I know I am spending a LOT of money to go.

So I buy tickets for November, when games WILL ALWAYS MEAN SOMETHING.

Because I am a football fan, I KNOW that games in late December do not always mean something. Therefore, I have decided to NOT take the risk and buy a ticket for a late season game.

In football, teams rest for the playoffs, REGARDLESS of how it affects other teams.

That is the they way it has been played for years. To expect something else is silly.

To trumpet an American Soldier and his "woes" of not seeing Manning play is sickening. I am SURE he is going to be SO disappointed and thinking all about Manning not playing football as he is sitting in the back of a trashhauler being bounced around on his way to the middle east. I think instead, he will be thinking about his family, the mission, and how nice of a last weekend he had.

Some people really need to get a handle on reality, and what is important in life. Watching Manning play 4 quarters instead of 2 and a half quarters doesn't qualify, IMO.

RoethlisBURGHer
12-31-2009, 07:42 PM

When I buy tickets to go see the Steelers, I know I am spending a LOT of money to go.

Because I am a football fan, I KNOW that games in late December do not always mean something. Therefore, I have decided to NOT take the risk and buy a ticket for a late season game.

In football, teams rest for the playoffs, REGARDLESS of how it affects other teams.

That is the they way it has been played for years. To expect something else is silly.

To trumpet an American Soldier and his "woes" of not seeing Manning play is sickening. I am SURE he is going to be SO disappointed and thinking all about Manning not playing football as he is sitting in the back of a trashhauler being bounced around on his way to the middle east. I think instead, he will be thinking about his family, the mission, and how nice of a last weekend he had.

Some people really need to get a handle on reality, and what is important in life. Watching Manning play 4 quarters instead of 2 and a half quarters doesn't qualify, IMO.

However not everybody has the chance to go to games in the months of September, October, or November.

And when you think about it, what have the Colts done when resting before the playoffs? They have lost in the first or second round, and one time lost to the Patriots in the AFCCG. But for the most part, the Colts have lost momentum and come out rusty.

And that's what is going to happen again this year. The Colts will come out rusty and lose in the divisional round of the playoffs.

Preacher
12-31-2009, 09:09 PM
However not everybody has the chance to go to games in the months of September, October, or November.

And when you think about it, what have the Colts done when resting before the playoffs? They have lost in the first or second round, and one time lost to the Patriots in the AFCCG. But for the most part, the Colts have lost momentum and come out rusty.

And that's what is going to happen again this year. The Colts will come out rusty and lose in the divisional round of the playoffs.

That may be true about them being rusty. However, that is their choice.

Just as it is the fans choice to take a chance by going to a late game.

MasterOfPuppets
12-31-2009, 09:43 PM

. here i thought it was because your pansy californian butt didn't like the cold....:sofunny:
kidding preach....:chuckle: