PDA

View Full Version : Hood answers the call

Galax Steeler
12-29-2009, 08:28 AM
By Teresa Varley
Steelers.com
Rookie defensive end Ziggy Hood was called upon to step up against the Ravens and he answered.

Hood, the team’s 2009 first-round pick, saw more playing time with Brett Keisel sidelined because of a stinger. He responded with his first NFL sack and recovered a fumble to end the Ravens’ final drive of the game.

“He made a few plays for us,” said Coach Mike Tomlin. “He’s a young guy kind of taking advantage of opportunities. He made a few timely plays for us. He’s a quality young player, he’s going to be a good player, not soon enough for us, not soon enough for him but we’re seeing strides week in and week out. We’re excited about what he could be. He helped us which is good.”

Another rookie who continues to impress is wide receiver Mike Wallace. Wallace had three receptions for 83 yards, including a key 45-yard reception on a third-and-two that eventually led to Santonio Holmes touchdown reception.

“He’s done a great job every week,” said quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. “He keeps impressing. He keeps getting better, and like I said the sky is the limit for him.”

For the first time in team history the Steelers have two 1,000-yard receivers, a 1,000-yard rusher and a 4,000-yard passer.

Hines Ward currently has 1,106 receiving yards, while Santonio Holmes has 1,243 yards. Rashard Mendenhall passed the 1,000-yard mark against the Ravens, with 1,014 on the season. Ben Roethlisberger became the first Steelers quarterback to throw for over 4,000 yards, with 4,108 to date.

The Steelers close out the regular season when they play the Miami Dolphins at 1 p.m. at Land Shark Stadium in Miami on Sunday, Jan. 3.

Playoff hopes remain alive for the Steelers, though. According to the NFL, the Steelers would clinch a playoff spot one of three ways: Steelers win and Houston and New York lose or tie; Steelers win and Houston and Baltimore lose or tie; and Steelers win and Jets, Baltimore and Denver lose or tie.

http://news.steelers.com/article/116452/

SteelerFanInStl
12-29-2009, 10:35 AM
Ziggy is going to be a very good player for the Steelers. People just need to have a little patience.

markymarc
12-29-2009, 12:39 PM
Ziggy will be another in the line of first round great players the Steelers have drafted. To this point our 2009 draft class is looking very promising!

SteelGhost
12-29-2009, 12:50 PM
Kudos to Ziggy !!!

Psyychoward86
12-30-2009, 12:55 AM
i still dont get how that's a fumble recovery. he picked it out of the air, so isnt that a pick?

tyler289
12-30-2009, 12:57 AM
i still dont get how that's a fumble recovery. he picked it out of the air, so isnt that a pick?

I guess they don't think Flacco's arm was moving forward and the ball just happened to go up as it left Flacco's possession.

Hood was clutch on Sunday in the 4th. It helped that Woodley was a beast, but Hood made the plays when we really needed him too. Glad to see it.

markymarc
12-30-2009, 01:03 PM
Speaking of rookies...............does anyone believe RaShon Harris will be able to contribute next season to the defense? I would like to see him and Ziggy rotating in on the DL.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-30-2009, 01:27 PM
Speaking of rookies...............does anyone believe RaShon Harris will be able to contribute next season to the defense? I would like to see him and Ziggy rotating in on the DL.

I think Sunny Harris was ahead of Hood in the preseason, but has less upside. Hood does well when he keeps moving upfield while staying in his gap. Where he becomes ineffective is when he handfights the O lineman and tries to make a move. Harris just does that and has little desire to handfight.

I expect to see Keisel, Hood, Harris with the Steelers for the next 4 years.

markymarc
12-30-2009, 03:36 PM
I think Sunny Harris was ahead of Hood in the preseason, but has less upside. Hood does well when he keeps moving upfield while staying in his gap. Where he becomes ineffective is when he handfights the O lineman and tries to make a move. Harris just does that and has little desire to handfight.

I expect to see Keisel, Hood, Harris with the Steelers for the next 4 years.

I do agree in that Harris was way ahead of Hood in the preseason. I think you bring up a good point in that Harris has less upside. At least we have 2 younger DL players in Hood and Harris that can help the defense for a few years.