PDA

View Full Version : Lewis to IR; Trae Williams signed...

7willBheaven
12-29-2009, 01:22 PM
http://www.steelers.com/article/116590/

"PITTSBURGH ─ The Steelers signed first-year defensive back Trae Williams to their active roster, the team announced today. Financial terms of the one-year deal were not disclosed.

Williams (5-10, 195) was signed to Pittsburgh’s active 53-man roster from the Seattle Seahawks’ practice squad. He was originally drafted by the Jacksonville Jaguars in the fifth round of the 2008 NFL Draft out of South Florida.

Williams was released by the Jaguars prior to the 2008 season and then signed to the Philadelphia Eagles’ practice squad for the entire season. He was released by the Eagles during the final cuts of the 2009 season before being signed to the Seahawks’ practice squad on Nov. 3 of this season.

To make room for Williams on the Steelers’ active roster, rookie defensive back Keenan Lewis was placed on the team’s Reserve/Injured List with a back injury. Lewis was active in four games this year and recorded one special teams tackle."

I had a feeling Lewis was still hurting from earlier in the year...especially since there were some times he should have been active and wasnt. Hopefully next year he'll be a starter at some point.

zulater
12-29-2009, 01:29 PM
http://www.steelers.com/article/116590/

"PITTSBURGH ─ The Steelers signed first-year defensive back Trae Williams to their active roster, the team announced today. Financial terms of the one-year deal were not disclosed.

Williams (5-10, 195) was signed to Pittsburgh’s active 53-man roster from the Seattle Seahawks’ practice squad. He was originally drafted by the Jacksonville Jaguars in the fifth round of the 2008 NFL Draft out of South Florida.

Williams was released by the Jaguars prior to the 2008 season and then signed to the Philadelphia Eagles’ practice squad for the entire season. He was released by the Eagles during the final cuts of the 2009 season before being signed to the Seahawks’ practice squad on Nov. 3 of this season.

To make room for Williams on the Steelers’ active roster, rookie defensive back Keenan Lewis was placed on the team’s Reserve/Injured List with a back injury. Lewis was active in four games this year and recorded one special teams tackle."

I had a feeling Lewis was still hurting from earlier in the year...especially since there were some times he should have been active and wasnt. Hopefully next year he'll be a starter at some point.

Well at least that expains Lewis not being activated the last few weeks. I hope he shows up at the first OTA next spring with the attitude that he's a starting cornerback. :tt04:

supa_fly_steeler
12-29-2009, 09:35 PM
lewis no way deserves to be starter next year, i like the kid, but he has done **** all, burnett is ahead of him at his point of the career a bit dissapointing because lewis was picked ahead, i like lewis more though, they will try to replace ike with lewis because of same physique.

KeiselPower99
12-29-2009, 09:45 PM
Lewis will compete for the CB spot next year. Dosent matter that he was inactive for alot of this year. Everyone starts new come July 2010

Psyychoward86
12-29-2009, 11:49 PM
I would laugh so hard if he suited up against Miami and got our CB's first pick

Rick5895
12-30-2009, 06:17 AM
Lewis and Burnett are our future at CB. IMO they will be very good players with at least 1 or 2 pro bowls each when they are done!!

Texasteel
12-30-2009, 06:41 AM
I thought Williams would do better that he has. He will give up a big play from time to time, he likes to gamble, at least in school he did. Could be a good signing for us, but won't know till and if he gets on the field. Right now he looks like just insurance.

Galax Steeler
12-30-2009, 07:04 AM
I thought Williams would do better that he has. He will give up a big play from time to time, he likes to gamble, at least in school he did. Could be a good signing for us, but won't know till and if he gets on the field. Right now he looks like just insurance.

I was getting ready to ask if anyone knew anything about him. I guess you answered that question for me.:wink02:

Dino 6 Rings
12-30-2009, 09:20 AM
I would laugh so hard if he suited up against Miami and got our CB's first pick

Seriously...I'm right there with you. that would be effing hilarious!

zulater
12-30-2009, 09:33 AM
lewis no way deserves to be starter next year, i like the kid, but he has done **** all, burnett is ahead of him at his point of the career a bit dissapointing because lewis was picked ahead, i like lewis more though, they will try to replace ike with lewis because of same physique.

I didn't say he deserves to start. I just want him to go into the first OTA with the attitude that he's going to be a starter and make it so that the coaching staff can't deny him by how he prepares and performs.

markymarc
12-30-2009, 12:11 PM
Well at least that article explains why Keenan Lewis has not been activated the past few weeks. I have a feeling that we will really be depending on Joe Burnett and Keenan Lewis to team up with Ike Taylor and better our secondary defense.

markymarc
12-30-2009, 12:13 PM
Lewis and Burnett are our future at CB. IMO they will be very good players with at least 1 or 2 pro bowls each when they are done!!

I do agree that Lewis and Burnett are the future at CB for the Steelers. I have high hope for both of them although the Pro Bowl might be pushing it :chuckle: I'll be happy with a high level of play and consistency from both of them!

markymarc
12-30-2009, 12:16 PM

You are right in that Trae Williams is insurance and maybe he can hang on and see what he could offer the Steelers next season. For the record, I would rather have a CB that gambles once and awhile instead of playing 10 yards off the football and making plays on the ball when it's in the air...........and yes I am referring to William Gay :wink02:

SteelerFanInStl
12-30-2009, 08:25 PM

I hope that you're right but I haven't seen anything from either one of them so far that would suggest being a future Pro Bowler.

7willBheaven
12-30-2009, 10:05 PM
You are right in that Trae Williams is insurance and maybe he can hang on and see what he could offer the Steelers next season. For the record, I would rather have a CB that gambles once and awhile instead of playing 10 yards off the football and making plays on the ball when it's in the air...........and yes I am referring to William Gay :wink02:

Ever think its the coach and not the player having them play so far off? Some might say well the coach is making them do it because they arent that good of a player/etc...but still.

Preacher
12-30-2009, 10:12 PM

Um... That is part of the defensive scheme, so that the CB's don't get tangled up in blocking on run plays. They have a lot of responsibility on run plays and thus, have to play far enough back to react either way.

Don't like how far back he plays, then you don't like that element of Dick LeBeau's fire-blitz scheme.

Psyychoward86
12-30-2009, 10:33 PM

wtf. Is this based off of pessimism for deshea, gay, and taylor? Or random optimism for Burnett and Lewis? :screwy:

supa_fly_steeler
12-31-2009, 11:41 AM

playing off the reciever is part of lebeau's defence, preventing the big plays :wink02:

Psyychoward86
12-31-2009, 12:18 PM

that goes completely against our defensive philosophy. We gave up 1 play over 60+ yards last year in the regular season for a reason btw.

supa_fly_steeler
12-31-2009, 01:17 PM
that goes completely against our defensive philosophy. We gave up 1 play over 60+ yards last year in the regular season for a reason btw.

wasn't that when peyton manning threw the ball and it was tipped by loads of people and fell into reggie waynes hands who took it for a touchdown?

markymarc
12-31-2009, 01:51 PM
Um... That is part of the defensive scheme, so that the CB's don't get tangled up in blocking on run plays. They have a lot of responsibility on run plays and thus, have to play far enough back to react either way.

Don't like how far back he plays, then you don't like that element of Dick LeBeau's fire-blitz scheme.

I should have obviously worded my post differently then. I have no problems with LeBeau's great defensive scheme. My problem is the way William Gay plays CB in his system. IMO he is not starting material at the CB spot. To me he would be better suited as the nickel CB.