PDA

View Full Version : Are we gonna sign Woodley???

steel9guy
12-29-2009, 07:49 PM
I know were still alive in the playoffs and I know everyone is wrapped up in that but I can't sleep at night anymore because of this. With Santonio Holmes and Woodley in the same year can we afford both of them??? I'd rather have Woodley because he's going to be huge in a year or so. Do we have the money to sign Woodley and then Troy next year??? I need to know soon haha. I wanna buy a Woodley jersey if he's here to stay.:tt:

ricardisimo
12-29-2009, 07:52 PM
It seems to me that a lot of these sorts of questions are not really meaningful given the apparent inevitability of an uncapped year, followed by the increasing likelihood of a strike year. They can sign everybody for a billion dollars next year, can't they?

StainlessStill
12-29-2009, 07:54 PM
There's going to be a HUGE overall on the defensive side of the ball, and that means having access money to sign our players that are needed to win here in Pittsburgh, and Santonio and Woodley are two of those players. We will see those two back but a lot of faces we will see leave, like Casey Hampton and Ryan Clark.

steelerchad
12-29-2009, 08:11 PM
I'd be shocked if Woodley wasn't signed. He's already pro bowl caliber and has alot of years and upside in front of him. Santonio, I'm not quite as sure although I think they'll try to work a deal. If Sweed had worked out, I think you might have seen Santonio walk since Wallace has shown so much promise. It would have been Ward, Sweed, and Wallace. And you would see us draft a wideout in the first 2 picks this year for when Ward retires in 2 more years.

tony hipchest
12-29-2009, 08:28 PM
i would gladly buy a woodley jersey from the 75% off clearance racks if he decides to leave.

but i believe woodley is "next".

as for holmes, there is always the "bank of ben" for the steelers to tap into. all it takes is a simple restructure of his contract to clear up as much space as we need. the colts have been doing it with peyton for years.

jokerman
12-29-2009, 08:34 PM
i would hate to not see ryan clark again next year. he is one of my favorite players and he is kinda famous for his crazy hard hits. he kinda toughens up the image of pittsburgh, even though we are the toughest team in football.

TheBus360
12-29-2009, 08:50 PM
woodley is a beast and he will only get better we should definitely sign him to a new contract

supa_fly_steeler
12-29-2009, 09:30 PM
There's going to be a HUGE overall on the defensive side of the ball, and that means having access money to sign our players that are needed to win here in Pittsburgh, and Santonio and Woodley are two of those players. We will see those two back but a lot of faces we will see leave, like Casey Hampton and Ryan Clark.

lol ryan clark aint leaving, unless u want mundy to start.

and why the hell would you let a mvp go, lol thats a stupid question, the rooneys will give him the coin.

look for one of them to have contract extentions in a uncapped year, or capped, either way, or jerry jones will just pay them a billiona year.

chucoblack&gold
12-29-2009, 10:00 PM
Woodley is definite keeper. He was unusually quiet at the beginning of the season but he has kept his consistency IMO.

Psyychoward86
12-29-2009, 11:47 PM
Woodley is definite keeper. He was unusually quiet at the beginning of the season but he has kept his consistency IMO.

it was like that last year. When Deebo was makin' noise at the beginning of the year, Woodley wasnt, but then he finished with 3 straight playoff games with 2 sacks in each. Same as this year. Cant stop both of the blitzhounds baby :chuckle::tt04:

steelpride12
12-30-2009, 12:19 AM
It would be a surprise if Pittsburgh didn't sign Wood. He has been a beast the last two seasons starting and still has plenty of potential inside this kid. He is worth the money and the signing. DO IT!

mikegrimey
12-30-2009, 12:59 AM
I didn't think Woodley started out quiet this year at all----except he just wasn't getting the sacks. He was still in the oppositions face all game and has been making big, hard tackles.
He's definitely a keeper, but it seems like anybody in the OLB position at pittsburgh ends up being pretty good.

revefsreleets
12-30-2009, 11:38 AM
We will use the franchise tag and the two transitional tags wisely this year. I think we keep Clark, Hampton, Holmes and Woodley next year...

steel9guy
12-30-2009, 01:09 PM
as long as we keep woodley and try to sign clark I'll be fine.

SteelGhost
12-30-2009, 02:00 PM
We will use the franchise tag and the two transitional tags wisely this year. I think we keep Clark, Hampton, Holmes and Woodley next year...

I expect we can keep them :thumbsup: ... and do something with the secondary :tt02:

steel9guy
12-30-2009, 02:38 PM
I think we'll sign Woodley but let go of clark although i hate to see it.

markymarc
12-30-2009, 03:04 PM
I would be very surprised if the FO did not resign Woodley and Holmes.

AlleghanyAdams87
12-30-2009, 05:32 PM
Woodley is still under contract through next year, expect an extension this offseason for sure.

AlleghanyAdams87
12-30-2009, 05:39 PM
and the team picks up 6 million in dead money from kendall simmons and larry footes contract, and if townsend doesnt return, there is anothing 2 millinon freed up. The money will be there to resign both Holmes and Woodley

steeltheone
12-30-2009, 05:39 PM
Holmes will get his money somewhere else. We never have paid recievers the big bucks. Woodley is a keeper.

Glace
12-30-2009, 05:45 PM
Gotta admit I'm curious to watch the Holmes negotiations when they arise.

My heart says he wants to stay a Steeler....my mind says he wants money that we won't dedicate to a WR.

I have no doubt we do everything to keep Woodley

BlastFurnace
12-30-2009, 08:44 PM
Gotta admit I'm curious to watch the Holmes negotiations when they arise.

My heart says he wants to stay a Steeler....my mind says he wants money that we won't dedicate to a WR.

I have no doubt we do everything to keep Woodley

I have a strong feeling that Holmes is going to be a tough one to negotiate with. He strikes me as the kind of guy that won't take a home town discount to play for anyone. Think about it...if Randel El can get $30 Million and Nate can get $27 Million, what on earth is Santonio going to get? You can blame REL's money on Snyder, but someone paid it. Who is to say that Snyder won't go after Santonio as well. I love him as a Steeler and hope that the front office can find a way to keep him here long term.

This is where the development of Sweed next year is tremendously crucial. We have a pretty good idea that Wallace is going to be starting material. I think Hines will last another year as a starter and then become our 3rd receiver....and a darned good one at that. We need Sweed to develop next year, unfortunately, without knowing what is wrong with him right now, it's hard to know if he will ever pan out.

I forgot where I read this, but I believe that Santonio's agent is the same agent that T.O. has (forgot his name)....and that definitely make re-signing him a hard thing to do.

steel9guy
12-30-2009, 09:07 PM
yeah I think Holmes won't get as much in Pittsburgh as he wants. I hate to see a Superbowl MVP leave but you can find receivers easier than finding great linebackers so I think Woodley gets the money. We also have to keep Troy in the picture too for his contract in 2 years.

VegasStlrFan
12-30-2009, 09:20 PM
Our priorities should be Woodley & Troy. Holmes would be nice, but in reality someone will shellout big bucks for him.

steel9guy
12-30-2009, 10:00 PM
Our priorities should be Woodley & Troy. Holmes would be nice, but in reality someone will shellout big bucks for him.

I 100% agree.:tt04::tt02:

Psyychoward86
12-30-2009, 10:14 PM
what the heck makes u guys think Santonio is a diva that wants the big bucks? Because he's a young, rising star that won a superbowl MVP. He's shown nothing but a team player attitude and proud loyalty to the Steelers. I think it's very likely we sign him, and i think he'll want to stay here. Woodley will probably get the same treatment. The Steelers have an amazing nose for drafting great LB's, but we dont have much behind Woodley and Harrison.

VegasStlrFan
12-30-2009, 10:27 PM
what the heck makes u guys think Santonio is a diva that wants the big bucks? Because he's a young, rising star that won a superbowl MVP. He's shown nothing but a team player attitude and proud loyalty to the Steelers. I think it's very likely we sign him, and i think he'll want to stay here. Woodley will probably get the same treatment. The Steelers have an amazing nose for drafting great LB's, but we dont have much behind Woodley and Harrison.

It's not a knock on the guy, if he has a chance to get big money more power to him. Don't forget this is a business for these guys that could be over in a blink of an eye.

Psyychoward86
12-30-2009, 10:35 PM
It's not a knock on the guy, if he has a chance to get big money more power to him. Don't forget this is a business for these guys that could be over in a blink of an eye.

not everyone is like that. We have some people on this team that have demonstrated that, such as Troy.

steel9guy
12-31-2009, 12:42 AM
not everyone is like that. We have some people on this team that have demonstrated that, such as Troy.

I'd never trust anyone though. Randal El made all that money in Washington that he wouldn't have gotten with us.

MasterOfPuppets
12-31-2009, 12:57 AM
i'm guessin holmes is gone. we'll get a good indication of how the steelers feel about it in this years draft. if they draft a wr in the first 3 rds, i'd say its because they don't feel to good about resigning holmes.there should be lots of good prospects in the 2nd and 3rd rnds.

Galax Steeler
12-31-2009, 04:50 AM
Like everyone else has said I also see us getting Woodley signed. There is no way we let a player of his caliber get away from us. As for Holmes I will take the wait and see aproach I sure hope that we find someway to sign him to a contract.

mulldog24
12-31-2009, 10:51 AM
I think that signing Woodley would be a priority especially now that it seems were headed for an uncapped year and we can afford to spend without any cap penalties.

GoSlash27
12-31-2009, 11:04 AM
If I had to choose between Woodley and 'Tone, I'd definitely keep Woodley. We have a huge amount of depth and talent at WR. Lamarr is a whole lot more difficult to replace.

Plus, there's the whole locker room mechanics thing to look at.

Glace
12-31-2009, 11:06 AM
I forgot where I read this, but I believe that Santonio's agent is the same agent that T.O. has (forgot his name)....and that definitely make re-signing him a hard thing to do.

Rosenhaus....blah!

Although, I don't hear his name much anymore...which is a good thing.

Maybe the whole T.O. fiasco straightened him out, lol

Psyychoward86
12-31-2009, 11:26 AM
We have a huge amount of depth and talent at WR.

lol. Hines, Wallace, and Hines, who also happens to be pretty old and will get less productive in a few years and retire. That's all we have at the moment.

GoSlash27
12-31-2009, 12:26 PM
lol. Hines, Wallace, and Hines, who also happens to be pretty old and will get less productive in a few years and retire. That's all we have at the moment.

Worse ways to be. Hinesey and Wallace would be franchise players on any other team. Bring in Logan and Galloway, alongside the best hands TE in the league, and we can live without 'Tone.

How do you go about replacing Woodley?? He's only the strong side half of the most dominant tandem in NFL history... :wave:
/better than Lloyd/Greene
//better than Gildon/Peezy

Psyychoward86
12-31-2009, 12:41 PM
Worse ways to be. Hinesey and Wallace would be franchise players on any other team. Bring in Logan and Galloway, alongside the best hands TE in the league, and we can live without 'Tone.

How do you go about replacing Woodley?? He's only the strong side half of the most dominant tandem in NFL history... :wave:
/better than Lloyd/Greene
//better than Gildon/Peezy

yeah i said i agree about Woodley. But Tone is important too. The guy comes up with splash plays in the clutch, when we need them most, and im not talking about just our superbowl run last year. He's still doing it. Logan isnt going to be a big enough contributor as a wide receiver, Galloway is 37 years old, only a temporary solution. The steelers dont believe in temporary success, they go long term. Tone's gotta stay too.

GoSlash27
12-31-2009, 12:48 PM
yeah i said i agree about Woodley. But Tone is important too. The guy comes up with splash plays in the clutch, when we need them most, and im not talking about just our superbowl run last year. He's still doing it.
No argument there. 'Tone is huge for us, especially with his YAC. But the question (as I understand it) is what to do if you have to let one go.
We can get by without 'Tone if we have to. Plus, I don't think he really has a preference where he plays, so long as he plays. He doesn't bleed black 'n' gold the way Woodley does, he bleeds "Santonio's bicep".
I'm afraid he'll be too expensive to keep.

revefsreleets
12-31-2009, 02:10 PM
We paid top dollar for Hines. We'll pay top dollar for his heir apparent....

stb_steeler
12-31-2009, 02:40 PM
Woodley and Santonio will be signed. Woodley is getting better all the time and we need Tone for the quick outs and first downs, he's good at that.

steel9guy
12-31-2009, 05:13 PM
yeah I think Woodley would be harder to replace because they're are a lot more quality wide receivers available than HUGE Powerful Linebackers like Woodley. I can see Woodley and Troy leading us into the future. I think holmes will want alot of $.

markymarc
01-01-2010, 01:33 PM
Everyone knows that Mike Wallace is going to be a very good WR in the Steelers offense. Hines Ward is not getting younger and he can still play at a high level, but eventually his NFL career will come to an end. Personally I think if Holmes would not be resigned our offense would take a step backwards.

IMO Santonio Holmes is just as important to the offense as Lamar Woodley is to the defense.

steel9guy
01-01-2010, 11:50 PM
I think Holmes is important but losing woodley would kill our Defense. You can go get another receiver but Woodleys talent is rare.

markymarc
01-02-2010, 11:27 AM
I think Holmes is important but losing woodley would kill our Defense. You can go get another receiver but Woodleys talent is rare.

I agree that losing Woodley would really hurt our defense. Plus the other thing to consider is we have no depth at OLB. And sorry, but you can't just plug in a WR and expect them to put up numbers like Holmes. Let's not forget without Holmes last season we don''t win Super Bowl XLIII.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-02-2010, 11:36 AM
I agree that losing Woodley would really hurt our defense. Plus the other thing to consider is we have no depth at OLB. And sorry, but you can't just plug in a WR and expect them to put up numbers like Holmes. Let's not forget without Holmes last season we don''t win Super Bowl XLIII.

Good point...but it truly is easier to find a reciever than it is to find an 3-4 OLB.

markymarc
01-02-2010, 11:41 AM
Good point...but it truly is easier to find a reciever than it is to find an 3-4 OLB.

I do agree it's easier to find a WR compared to a 3-4 OLB. I just don't think you can find a WR and expect the same numbers Holmes puts up, unless you are drafting 1 in the first round.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-02-2010, 11:42 AM
I do agree it's easier to find a WR compared to a 3-4 OLB. I just don't think you can find a WR and expect the same numbers Holmes puts up, unless you are drafting 1 in the first round.

Good draft year for WR's though. Not so good at OLB.

steel9guy
01-02-2010, 08:57 PM
I think Woodley is gonna be huge next year and be one of the most feared defenders in the league soon.