PDA

View Full Version : Harrison, Hampton tabbed for NFL's Pro Bowl

mesaSteeler
12-29-2009, 10:26 PM
Harrison, Hampton tabbed for NFL's Pro Bowl
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/print_659914.html
By Scott Brown
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Outside linebacker James Harrison and nose tackle Casey Hampton were named to the Pro Bowl today.

Harrison made the AFC team as a starter while Hampton was selected as a reserve.

The Steelers did not place an offensive player on the team even though they have a 4,000-yard passer, a 1,000-yard rusher and two 1,000-yard receivers for the first time in franchise history.

Harrison, who is second on the Steelers with 10 1/2 sacks, has made the Pro Bowl for three consecutive seasons. Hampton has been selected to the Pro Bowl five times.

The annual all-star game between the AFC and NFC will be played on Jan. 31

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

mesaSteeler
12-29-2009, 10:30 PM
Tuesday, December 29, 2009
AFC North Pro Bowl analysis
By James Walker
ESPN.com
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/print?id=7644

Perfect sense: Cleveland Browns kick returner Joshua Cribbs was a no-brainer. Cribbs is the NFL's most dangerous and best all-around special teams' player. He has four returns (three kickoffs, one punt) for touchdowns this season. Baltimore Ravens tailback Ray Rice also made sense. I wondered if enough people recognized the special season Rice is having rushing the ball and catching out of the backfield. He didn't win the fan vote but gained enough respect from players and coaches to make his first Pro Bowl. I also liked the recognition of Ravens defensive tackle Haloti Ngata, who is coming into his own and will be a dominant force for years to come.

2009 Pro Bowlers: AFC North
Baltimore Ravens
LB Ray Lewis*
FB Le'Ron McClain*
DT Haloti Ngata*
S Ed Reed*
RB Ray Rice
Cleveland Browns
KR Joshua Cribbs
OT Joe Thomas
Pittsburgh Steelers
LB James Harrison*
DT Casey Hampton

*denotes starter
Made it on rep: Baltimore's Ed Reed is arguably the top safety in football, but this season was not his best. He's been banged up and Baltimore's pass defense was shaky all year. With just three interceptions, Reed's having one of his least productive seasons. But a decent, albeit not spectacular, year from Reed still is better than 80 percent of NFL safeties. Some may want to add Baltimore linebacker Ray Lewis and/or Steelers defensive tackle Casey Hampton to this group, mainly because of their age. But I thought both players had productive seasons.

Got robbed: Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger surpassed 4,000 yards for the first time in his NFL career. But it was not enough to get a Pro Bowl nod. San Diego Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers took the final quarterback spot in the AFC behind Tom Brady and Peyton Manning, and Rivers also is deserving. Not having one player from the AFC North champion Cincinnati Bengals looks odd. Tailback Cedric Benson was the top player for the Bengals who got the biggest snub.

supa_fly_steeler
12-29-2009, 10:33 PM
the pro bowl sucks, like they want to waste time down in miami when they could be spending it with their family.

Gnutella
12-29-2009, 11:38 PM
Got robbed: Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger surpassed 4,000 yards for the first time in his NFL career. But it was not enough to get a Pro Bowl nod.

As long as the fans have input in this kind of stuff, he'll continue to get robbed.

casteeler
12-29-2009, 11:57 PM
Give me a f*#@ing break!!! No Miller, or santonio holmes .... bulls*#t. Big ben would have to throw for 10,000 yards to make the team!

Psyychoward86
12-30-2009, 12:45 AM
the Lolbowl. Pshh guys it has never mattered. It's nice to see Hampton and Harrison get recognition though. I feel like one of those bengal CB's got snubbed bad though, they both played better than Champ Bailey this season, particularly Leon Hall. Would've been cool to see Kemo in there too!

steelpride12
12-30-2009, 01:17 AM
Saddest voting results I have saw in many years wow, no surprise Ben didn't make it with the 4,000 yards and less than stellar numbers he will never get the recognition he deserves. Umm Holmes or Ward? okkkk and mostly Wood come on he has been a beast all season. Miller def. could have made it to at LEAST a back up roll, but once again not noticed one bit. Just sad!

mikegrimey
12-30-2009, 01:55 AM
I can't believe some of you guys actually think Ben got snubbed. What's worse is bringing up stats like 4,000 passing yards is apparently meant to convince somebody he's worthy? Come now, didn't Jon Kitna have 4,000 passing yards with the lions too?

Ben has been good this year but not as good as the three in the probowl. Manning, Rivers, and Brady have all been better.

Ben's had a few chances to win games on the last posession this year and failed (cincy, KC, and cleveland come to mind immediately). I think Rivers has been pulling the biggest clutch drives in the year thus far. Brady has quietly (kind of) been playing pretty good ball, just not as great as the 07 season, and Manning has proven once again that he is the best regular season QB of all time.

ljk2442
12-30-2009, 04:54 AM
IMO Heath Miller got robbed, Hines Ward got robbed, and Woodley got robbed.... oh well... Big Ben sorry but beat KC, Oakland, and the Browns and you may of made it

HometownGal
12-30-2009, 06:59 AM
Congrats to both James and Casey, though I still think the Pro Bowl is a huge joke. :drink:

zulater
12-30-2009, 07:10 AM
Lamar Woodley and Heath Miller would have been the most deserving among the Steelers and should have been selected. Yeah Dallas Clark and Antonio Gates both put up great numbers, but we're supposed to be talking tight ends not wide recievers, and neither of them block as well as Matt Spaeth. Miller's 71 catches and 5 td's, this for a guy who can not only lead a running play, but is often asked to stay in and pass block on 3rd downs, is amazing and makes him the best and most complete TE game in the league. Not only should Heath have beem selected, he should be starting.

Galax Steeler
12-30-2009, 07:39 AM
Lamar Woodley and Heath Miller would have been the most deserving among the Steelers and should have been selected. Yeah Dallas Clark and Antonio Gates both put up great numbers, but we're supposed to be talking tight ends not wide recievers, and neither of them block as well as Matt Spaeth. Miller's 71 catches and 5 td's, this for a guy who can not only lead a running play, but is often asked to stay in and pass block on 3rd downs, is amazing and makes him the best and most complete TE game in the league. Not only should Heath have beem selected, he should be starting.

I agree there should be no way that Woodley and miller don't make it. Woodley has played just as good if not better then Harrison this year. I know he started off slow but look what he has done in the second half of the season.

Miler should have been in there as well he has some of the best hands of any tight end in the league. He know how to find the soft spot in the defense and get that first down when he is needed.

Vincent
12-30-2009, 08:41 AM
The "pro bowl" has been bull@#$% since 76 when we had 8 starters on defense. :chuckle:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/quarterbackRating/year/2009/seasontype/2

Ben was #7 in the league in QB rating and #8 in yards. That's on the cusp as they take 3 from each conference. Couple that with the games the offense went in the tank, and I'm not feeling too dissed about Ben.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/receiving

Tone was tied for 3rd with Wayne, so that's BS. Hines is 13th, under the cusp. Heath has only Dallas Clark and Zack Miller ahead of him in the AFC, so that's iffy.

T.Richardson
12-30-2009, 11:36 AM
I can't believe some of you guys actually think Ben got snubbed. What's worse is bringing up stats like 4,000 passing yards is apparently meant to convince somebody he's worthy? Come now, didn't Jon Kitna have 4,000 passing yards with the lions too?

Ben has been good this year but not as good as the three in the probowl. Manning, Rivers, and Brady have all been better.

Ben's had a few chances to win games on the last posession this year and failed (cincy, KC, and cleveland come to mind immediately). I think Rivers has been pulling the biggest clutch drives in the year thus far. Brady has quietly (kind of) been playing pretty good ball, just not as great as the 07 season, and Manning has proven once again that he is the best regular season QB of all time.

In the Cincy game, Sweed dropped a TD pass, Ben was injured at the end of the K.C. game, but Cleveland..yea the offense blew that one..

Ben has had a career season, the defense just didnt do there job this year.

fansince'76
12-30-2009, 11:40 AM
The Pro Bowl is a joke - the All-Pro teams are the only ones that really matter, IMO.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-30-2009, 12:08 PM
Pro bowl is always tough, because deserving guys always get a snub. There are only so many spots.

As for QB, I still agree that Manning, Rivers, Brady have had better seasons than Ben, but one of them should be playing in the SB come Feb, so Ben might still get the call to be the #3 QB.

zulater
12-30-2009, 12:11 PM
Pro bowl is always tough, because deserving guys always get a snub. There are only so many spots.

As for QB, I still agree that Manning, Rivers, Brady have had better seasons than Ben, but one of them should be playing in the SB come Feb, so Ben might still get the call to be the #3 QB.

IMO Ben was slightly better than Brady all things considered. Let's see pretty boy behind our o-line. :tombstone

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-30-2009, 12:23 PM
IMO Ben was slightly better than Brady all things considered. Let's see pretty boy behind our o-line. :tombstone

I thought that everybody believed that our O line was much improved?? Wasnt everybody talking about Starks and Kemo for pro bowl at week 8????

The difference is that you cant put Brady behind our line and Ben behind the Patriots to make a comparison. Pats have the #4 passing offense.....Steelers have the #7 passing offense and Brady has his team in the postseason while Ben is working voodoo dolls in hope they make it.

Ben wasnt snubbed, he was just the 4th best by a narrow margin.

fat4jc
12-30-2009, 12:25 PM
IMO Matt Schaub is more deserving than Ben. That's not to take anything away from Ben, but Schaub has been pretty good as well.

Dino 6 Rings
12-30-2009, 12:33 PM
I'm kind of shocked we got 2 in from our team actually. I mean, I figured Harrison would get the votes, since he's pretty awesome, but Hampton getting the votes is rather surprising.

I'm not surprised that no one else got in though, 8-7 team folks. It is what it is.

zulater
12-30-2009, 12:35 PM
IMO Matt Schaub is more deserving than Ben. That's not to take anything away from Ben, but Schaub has been pretty good as well.

Schaub had a better line, the best wr in the AFC and a better defense to play with than Ben and hasn't managed to win so much as a game more. I would take Ben over Schaub any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

markymarc
12-30-2009, 02:59 PM
The Pro Bowl and MLB, NHL and NBA all star games are always a big joke. It's all about being popular. I don't really pay attention anymore because it really proves nothing IMO. In any of the all star games you can make an argument about players getting robbed and not making it.

Congrats to James Harrison and Casey Hampton for making the Pro Bowl. Unfortunately, Ben Roethlisberger, Lamar Woodley and Heath Miller got robbed.

Nadroj 20
12-30-2009, 03:25 PM
Congrats to Hampton and Harrison even though i cant stand the pro bowl really.....IMO the 3QBs that made it are on the top 3 AFC teams so theres is a very good chance we will still get to see ben in the game....if i even watch it :chuckle:

Steeldude
12-30-2009, 03:32 PM
they need to put an end to the pro bowl

mikegrimey
12-30-2009, 03:48 PM
In the Cincy game, Sweed dropped a TD pass, Ben was injured at the end of the K.C. game, but Cleveland..yea the offense blew that one..

Ben has had a career season, the defense just didnt do there job this year.

sweed wasn't even playing in the cincy game I'm talking about. We got the ball back down 6 with 1:57 to go and didn't get a yard. Ben and them failed.
You're also having selective memory about the game in KC. Before he got hurt in overtime, Ben and the offense got the ball at least two times with a chance to win it and didn't. He also almost blew it against Denver with a fumble returned for a TD and a redzone pick---he's had a good year but not his best.

birdflyhigh
12-30-2009, 03:56 PM
I agree I'd rather have Shaub than Big Benjamin. Ben has taken to many hits, looks like he doesn't take care of himself, check out the double chin. He will be done before he hits 30.

Angus Burgher
12-30-2009, 04:05 PM
I agree I'd rather have Shaub than Big Benjamin. Ben has taken to many hits, looks like he doesn't take care of himself, check out the double chin. He will be done before he hits 30.

Thanks. Yeah, Ben is such a slacker. 4 playoff appearance and 2 super bowl wins in 5 years. Man, I wish we had a true champion like Shaub.

birdflyhigh
12-30-2009, 04:09 PM
I agree Ben has been great, he's a real gamer, who takes an inordinate amount of hits. Its just a feeling that his best days are going to be behind him real soon.

zulater
12-30-2009, 04:11 PM
sweed wasn't even playing in the cincy game I'm talking about. We got the ball back down 6 with 1:57 to go and didn't get a yard. Ben and them failed.

Ben didn't play a good game that day. But Holmes did drop what should have been a touchdown pass at the end of the first half.

You're also having selective memory about the game in KC. Before he got hurt in overtime, Ben and the offense got the ball at least two times with a chance to win it and didn't.

He was sacked both times the offense got the ball after the Chiefs 91 yard tying td drive. He was also victimized by a couple critical drops that game including a momentun changing one by Heath that turned what should have been a first down inside the Chiefs 50 into a Chiefs td.

He also almost blew it against Denver with a fumble returned for a TD and a redzone pick---he's had a good year but not his best.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009110900/2009/REG9/steelers@broncos#tab:analyze

We must have been watching a different game that night. 21-29 for 3 td's in one of the league's toughest venue's and you're saying "he almost blew it"? :doh: Any idea why we were in that game to begin with? :noidea:

zulater
12-30-2009, 04:12 PM
Thanks. Yeah, Ben is such a slacker. 4 playoff appearance and 2 super bowl wins in 5 years. Man, I wish we had a true champion like Shaub.

Yeah too bad he had to sit behind a Hall of Famer like Vick all those years. :chuckle:

fansince'76
12-30-2009, 04:21 PM

Consider the source - a fan of a team whose best QB was and still is far and away the most overrated QB in NFL history.

mikegrimey
12-30-2009, 08:48 PM
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009110900/2009/REG9/steelers@broncos#tab:analyze

We must have been watching a different game that night. 21-29 for 3 td's in one of the league's toughest venue's and you're saying "he almost blew it"? :doh: Any idea why we were in that game to begin with? :noidea:

Come on now, how are you going to blatantly ignore the specific points I mentioned in regards to his preformance in Denver?

Completion percentage be damned. We didn't score a single offensive point in the first half of that game. And to begin the second half, Ben was hot, but coughed up the ball that lead to 7 Denver points. Also, later in the game, with a chance to go up BIG, Ben threw a pick on a first and goal.

That's two crucial turnovers that are directly BB's responsibility to prevent.
Yea, I know exactly why we were even in that game to begin with.

zulater
12-30-2009, 08:59 PM
Come on now, how are you going to blatantly ignore the specific points I mentioned in regards to his preformance in Denver?

Completion percentage be damned. We didn't score a single offensive point in the first half of that game. And to begin the second half, Ben was hot, but coughed up the ball that lead to 7 Denver points. Also, later in the game, with a chance to go up BIG, Ben threw a pick on a first and goal.

That's two crucial turnovers that are directly BB's responsibility to prevent.
Yea, I know exactly why we were even in that game to begin with.

Probably should have been benched I suppose? I'm sure Matt Schaub would have had us up by about 40 by then? :coffee:

The Steelers had about 60 odd offensive snaps that game. Ben had a couple bad plays. He had a bunch of really good ones. At the end of the game he did more than enough to put the Steelers in position to win. which they of course did that night. To represent that game as a negative for Ben is ridiculous imo.

Need I address you point more?

mikegrimey
12-30-2009, 09:03 PM
I hope you're just being cheeky and don't think i'd seriously condone benching BB is the answer.

I'm just being a realist. He had a good game in Denver, but wasn't the reason we we're in the game to begin with, and was responsible for some atroscious turnovers that a better team than the Broncos would have made us pay for.

mikegrimey
12-30-2009, 09:08 PM
Kind of like when we played the Vikings.
Farve had a pretty good game but had a couple of bad turnovers (one really wasn't all his fault) that took them right out of the game. The different with us was our defense kept the pressure on Denver so got beat solidly.

I didn't present the game as a negative overall, but its an indication about how some people overrate Ben, specifically the people claiming he was snubbed from a probowl appearance.
You've well established yourself as an apologist and cited statistics the second I mentioned the two costly plays he made in the game against Denver.
I can only imagine the defense you would make for his toss into triple coverage in the redzone against oakland.

SteelerFanInStl
12-30-2009, 09:17 PM
The Pro Bowl is nothing more than a popularity contest.

zulater
12-30-2009, 09:37 PM
Kind of like when we played the Vikings.
Farve had a pretty good game but had a couple of bad turnovers (one really wasn't all his fault) that took them right out of the game. The different with us was our defense kept the pressure on Denver so got beat solidly.

I didn't present the game as a negative overall, but its an indication about how some people overrate Ben, specifically the people claiming he was snubbed from a probowl appearance.
You've well established yourself as an apologist and cited statistics the second I mentioned the two costly plays he made in the game against Denver.
I can only imagine the defense you would make for his toss into triple coverage in the redzone against oakland.

You tell me how Ben is responsible for a blind side strip, like the one you cited against him in the Broncos game? :noidea:

I never said Ben was without warts. But given the offensive line he has to work with imo he's doing a helluva job. I don't see any of the other elite qb's (and he is elite) in the league standing behind Trai Essex, and Jeff Hartings. I've seen what Peyton looks like when he's being mercilessly rushed ( 2005 AFC divisional playoff game) I've seen Brady when he's getting hit.( SB XII) Same with Rivers and any of the rest you want to cite. And it usually aint pretty. :coffee:

Give this team an ordinary quarterback this year and they wouldn't have won 5 games and wouldn't have been close in most of the rest.

Give this team an ordinary qb the last 5 years and there's two less Lombadi's in the Trophy case imho. You think I'm overrating him, I think you're underrating him. I remember too many good Steelers teams dying on the vine because of the likes of Neil O'Donnell, Kordell Stewart, and Mike Tomczak behind center. So go ahead and think of me as the biggest Ben apoligist if you want. I'm just glad the guy's on my team.

mikegrimey
12-30-2009, 09:51 PM
I don't underrate Ben at all. In fact, I do agree with you that he's an elite QB. I just don't think he's the end all be all.

I specifically disagree with your assessment of Rivers and Brady---Well, pre knee injury Brady.
Manning I can somewhat agree with. The Colts wisely built their team around their QB and Manning plays like he's their most valuable asset (which he is).

Rivers and Brady on the other hand have always been able to stand in the pocket and deliver while taking a hit. Rivers, in particular, plays in a style pretty similar to Ben. Anyone who watched the patriots from 2001-2007 knows Brady can take a hit. He's only recently started the pansy-style of football where he'll clamor for a flag after being touched (none more blatant than in the Ravens game this year, where the referee actually took the bait)

Rivers has been playing almost this entire season without his starting center and both guards on the offensive line. Talk about o-line problems. You're out of line in saying that Rivers can't handle pressure. The dude has been on fire this year and has rallied his team to a lot of big victories, all the while with a makeshift oline. Sound familiar to somebody last year?

I think our oline takes more criticism than it deserves. Yea, we've got no future HOF's but they've been playing at a good level dating back to the halfway point of last season.
A lot of the sacks are on Ben, who only recently started throwing the ball away more. That's not a complaint from me, it's just the way the guy plays the game. Kind like Adrian Peterson, taking it easy on a run isn't in his mentality, just like giving up on a play isn't in Ben's.

Look, I think Ben is an elite QB, anybody to deny his accomplishments is just being silly. He's had some missteps this season particularly though, where we could have put a few games away if he was playing sharper.

JPPT1974
12-30-2009, 09:52 PM
Congrats to those two on making it. Too bad Polamalu got hurt and if he didn't, he could had made it! Hope he gets better soon.

zulater
12-30-2009, 10:08 PM
I don't underrate Ben at all. In fact, I do agree with you that he's an elite QB. I just don't think he's the end all be all.

I specifically disagree with your assessment of Rivers and Brady---Well, pre knee injury Brady.
Manning I can somewhat agree with. The Colts wisely built their team around their QB and Manning plays like he's their most valuable asset (which he is).

Rivers and Brady on the other hand have always been able to stand in the pocket and deliver while taking a hit. Rivers, in particular, plays in a style pretty similar to Ben. Anyone who watched the patriots from 2001-2007 knows Brady can take a hit. He's only recently started the pansy-style of football where he'll clamor for a flag after being touched (none more blatant than in the Ravens game this year, where the referee actually took the bait)

Rivers has been playing almost this entire season without his starting center and both guards on the offensive line. Talk about o-line problems. You're out of line in saying that Rivers can't handle pressure. The dude has been on fire this year and has rallied his team to a lot of big victories, all the while with a makeshift oline. Sound familiar to somebody last year?

I think our oline takes more criticism than it deserves. Yea, we've got no future HOF's but they've been playing at a good level dating back to the halfway point of last season.
A lot of the sacks are on Ben, who only recently started throwing the ball away more. That's not a complaint from me, it's just the way the guy plays the game. Kind like Adrian Peterson, taking it easy on a run isn't in his mentality, just like giving up on a play isn't in Ben's.

Look, I think Ben is an elite QB, anybody to deny his accomplishments is just being silly. He's had some missteps this season particularly though, where we could have put a few games away if he was playing sharper.

I have no argument with Rivers and Manning being ahead of Ben. I even understand Brady, though this year I disagree that he's been better than Ben. I know Schaub has the stats, but if we have to give Brady the nod due to past deeds then Ben should get in over Schaub. I think it's fair to surmise that one of the selcted Pro bowl quarterbacks will end up in the Super Bowl. If and when that happens I think Ben should get the nod.

As for our offensive line. They've been up and down this year. Lately Starks and Colon's play has really fallen off. But I'm ok with them going foward. I think they both are reasonably good starters. It was too bad Kemo got hurt when he did, because his play was really coming on. I think he could be in the running for season end honors himself next year. Esexx, nice guy to have for depth but no starter. Hartings, good team guy, but not a good enough player anymore. .

zulater
12-30-2009, 10:09 PM
Congrats to those two on making it. Too bad Polamalu got hurt and if he didn't, he could had made it! Hope he gets better soon.

He could have made that and also had the Steelers easily in the playoffs by this time too.

zulater
12-31-2009, 01:47 PM
Pro Bowl alternates
Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was not voted to the Pro Bowl but there is a good chance he will play in the game and possibly a few more of his teammates will join him.

Roethlisberger along with Woodley and tight end Heath Miller were selected as first alternates at their positions for the AFC team in the Jan. 31 game in Miami.

Each would join the squad if one player at their positions bows out. Because no player from the AFC team in the Super Bowl will play in the Pro Bowl, there is a good possibility one or all could join teammates James Harrison and Casey Hampton, who have been named to the all-star squad.

The quarterbacks on the AFC Pro Bowl team are Peyton Manning of No. 1 playoff seed Indianapolis, Philip Rivers of No. 2 seed San Diego and Tom Brady of AFC East champion New England.

The tight ends are Dallas Clark of Indianapolis and Antonio Gates of San Diego. The outside linebackers are Harrison, Elvis Dumervil of Denver and Brian Cushing of Houston.

There's also the likelihood that many of the players on the losing team in the AFC championship game Jan. 24 might bow out of the Pro Bowl game the following Sunday.

"Those things are always nice," said Miller, who set the team record for his position with 71 receptions.

"You take it as a compliment. I won't lose any sleep because I didn't make it, or the other way around."

For more on the Steelers, read Ed Bouchette on the Steelers at www.post-gazette.com/plus. Ed Bouchette can be reached at ebouchette@post-gazette.com.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09365/1024728-66.stm#ixzz0bIGLO4QE

iloveben7
01-01-2010, 01:44 AM
at least Ben, Heath, and LaMarr got chosen as alternates. But the 3 should've been voted in to begin with.

The ProBowl is such a joke and a popularity contest. Guys only get in based on their name and what cities they play for.