PDA

View Full Version : Mike Tomlin press conference

mesaSteeler
12-29-2009, 10:47 PM
Mike Tomlin press conference
http://pit.scout.com/2/933036.html

By SteelCityInsider.com

Posted Dec 29, 2009

Mike Tomlin addressed the media Tuesday and talked about the Ravens, the Dolphins, injuries and why he doesn't care what the Bengals do.

Mike Tomlin, coach, Pittsburgh Steelers

In reference to the game, not a dominant performance by any stretch, but made the necessary plays at timely moments to deliver a victory. I thought the sequence of events prior to the half was big offensively. Of course, I thought the sequence of events on third and fourth down with the pressure provided by LaMarr Woodley late in the game was significant. We aspire to be dominant. When were not, we need those kinds of timely plays to get victory.

Not talking a lot about the playoff scenarios because we put ourselves in this situation so well deal with it the best way we know how. Were going to focus on the things we can control. All the scenarios include us winning, so thats our focus.

Looking at some injury things, weve got a laundry list of bumps and bruises. Rocky Boiman has a calf strain. He could be limited at the early part of the week. Willie Parker has a shoulder sublexation. Hes definitely going to be out tomorrow (Wednesday). Well see how he improves as the week goes on. Brett Keisels still experiencing discomfort involving his stingers. Chris Kemoeatu still has significant weakness in his wrist. Hopefully well get him some work the latter part of the week and see if he can be able to play. Troy (Polamalu) ran yesterday in a straight line. Hes doing the same thing right now as we speak. Maybe hell practice in a limited capacity, but were taking it day by day in terms of how he responds to the workouts. Yesterday was a positive step. Well find out about today when Im done here and then well move on from there. The doors not closed on him participating.

Lets talk about the Dolphins for a few minutes. Offensively, Ricky Williams is their guy; hes a thousand-yard rusher, very talented guy, does a lot of things running, catching. (Chad) Henne spreads the ball around to a lot of people, (Davone) Bess, (Ted) Ginn, (Brian) Hartline and others. Theyre very good at the screen game, wide receivers and running backs. They employ the bunch (formation). Quick passing is a part of their game. Very good on third down; on the season I think theyre in the upper 40 percent range, probably has them in the top part of the league in that category. They average 32, 33 minutes time of possession per game. When youre converting third downs and dominating time of possession, youre going to be in a lot of football games and theyre in just about every one you turn on.

Defensively, theyre led by (Joey) Porter and (Jason) Taylor, their outside pressure men. Both guys are active career NFL sack leaders. The tape justifies that. They apply big-time pressure on the quarterback. Their corner tandem -- young guys Vontae Davis and (Steve) Smith, starting as rookies (is) playing beyond their years. Vontae, of course, is a very talented and physical guy. Hes got four interceptions. Smith is a big guy, 6-3, very tough to drop balls in on both guys because of their stature and the way they play the game, a very physical nature. Just got word Channing Crowder is out for the year, so there will be some turnover in the interior of their linebacking corps. But theyre a rock-solid defense. They come from a lot of angles. Coach (Paul) Pasqualoni does an awesome job with those guys, highlighted by outside linebacker play and corner play.

Of course, weve got to be ready to deal with Ted Ginn, Jr., not only as a wideout, but also in the return game. Were disappointed with that return to midfield late in that game Sunday, giving their offense the short field. Our defense thankfully stood up and preserved the lead, but that was a hairy moment. We could have some more hairy moments kicking the ball to Ted Ginn, Jr. Weve got to be on the screws in regards to that. Of course, we got a shot in the arm from our own return game with Stefan Logan.

Q: You played your QB in a game that had no meaning last year in the last game. Whats your feeling on teams that are already in and dont play all their starters?

A: I really have no opinion. I trust that those coaches are going to do what they feel is best for their football teams. Im going to do whats best for mine. Very rarely do I pass judgment on decision-making of other coaches in regards to other teams, because I dont have a pulse on their group, what they need. Im sure those guys do.

Q: Is there any sense of obligation on the part of a head coach for the integrity of other teams who are vying for playoff spots?

A: I think were all competitors and we play to win. I know I do. Every time we come out of that tunnel thats the intent. The ramifications, in regard to other teams, is irrelevant to me. Its more about the people that I come out of the tunnel with and our commitment to this organization, our fans, and our community, so when we come out we play to win.

Q: Is this the first time Troy has been able to straight-line run?

A: I think he did a little bit of straight-line running last week. Hes been running in the pool. Hes just progressing, trying to get ready, hopefully to play.

Q: Is being able to cut going to decide whether he can play?

A: Yeah, no question. The unanticipated movement that comes with playing football, changing direction, dropping your weight and so forth, will be critical in him getting clearance to play. Absolutely.

Q: Hows Hines Ward doing?

A: Hines is miserable, but Im going to save a seat on the bus for him. Hes got two hamstrings and a myriad of other issues. It gives him a bad disposition, but hell show.

Q: Did he injure the second hamstring compensating for the first?

A: Im sure in some form or fashion, but thats Hines. Hes going to leave it out on the field. Hes going to give us everything he has. He was lying on the table down there with two icebags on his hamstrings when I walked it to check on him, and he was in his usual good spirits.

Q: How would you assess your return game?

A: Its been consistently good from a kickoff standpoint all year. We havent had the house call but its been consistently good. Its provided us quality field position. Its been a shot in the arm. Its been a positive. I think the punt return game has improved of late, which is encouraging. But were growing by leaps and bounds with Stefan, and I think a lot of it has to do with understanding him, what he does well, and establishing continuity between him and the guys blocking for him.

Q: When the officials told you Derrick Masons incompletion would be ruled incomplete even if it was reviewed, doesnt that go against the spirit of instant replay?

A: I appreciated the information about that because it saved me a timeout. I didnt necessarily like it, but I appreciated the information.

Q: Was that the referee who told you that?

A: Yes.

mesaSteeler
12-29-2009, 10:48 PM
Q: Was Ben Roethlisberger out of the pocket when the illegal contact by Frank Walker occurred?

A: He was in the pocket when the infraction occurred. I watched the tape. Ben saw the flag when he worked back to his left and assumed, because of the location, that it was a defensive penalty, so he took a shot downfield. He was aware of the penalty prior to letting go of the football.

Q: Why did you call a pass play there?

A: We thought we could move the chains. We didn’t want to give them the ball back.

Q: Did your experience against the Wildcat against the Browns help? And how much time will you have to spend on it this week?

A: It does, but we didn’t wait till we played Cleveland or in anticipation of this game to prepare for it. It’s something that we started in the off-season because this is a copycat league and that we would see more of it. Preparation is one thing; play is another. We’ll see how we perform against it.

Q: Do they use less of it without Ronnie Brown?

A: Yes they do. They use less. They employ Pat White some in there at quarterback. Of course they have some direct snaps to Ricky Williams as well. But it’s not what it was with Ronnie Brown. Shoot that’s the case for anybody else in the league that has it. Unless you’ve got Ronnie Brown or Josh Cribbs, it’s not quite as effective.

Q: Are you disappointed in your run defense of late?

It’s been disappointing but we found a way to win the game and that’s ultimately what we aspire to do. We realize if we stop the run and make teams one-dimensional it increases our chances of winning. That’s why it’s been disappointing.

Q: What can you do to get the ball out to Mike Wallace?

A: Throw it early. He can run. He runs by people. He’s a talented guy. He provides timely plays for us, and he has for the better part of the year. He’s shown great maturity. He doesn’t ride the emotional roller coaster. He’s pretty consistent from a personality standpoint in terms of respecting the preparation process. Some games he gets a bunch of opportunities, some he doesn’t get as many, but he’s the same guy every day and those are some of the things we appreciate about him.

Q: Were you as confident in him when you saw him in offseason workouts and training camp?

A: Really it’s about training camp. Football is played in pads. A lot of guys look fast running around in the spring in shorts. He did, but he looked fast in pads. He wasn’t intimidated when he got sticky, if you know what I mean. He’s a mature football player.

Q: You still need help if you win. If you win in Miami, would you be disappointed if the Bengals don’t go all out to beat the Jets Sunday night?

A: I could care less how the Bengals approach what it is they do. This is our bed. We’re going to lay in it. We created this situation. What we are going to do is control what we can control, and that’s our preparation of play for the game. We’re not going to cry over spilled milk. If there’s any level of disappointment in terms of how this thing unfolds, it’s going to be on us.

steelerfan29_99
12-30-2009, 12:08 AM
i'm not trying to start anything.but when I see that Ed Reed who is hurt is going to try and play sunday so he can try and help his team win it makes me wonder how bad troy's injury is...if it was a slight tweak as was originally reported then even troy at 50% is better than no troy in the game sunday..not trying to question anyones toughness but it does make you wonder just a little...

MACH1
12-30-2009, 12:18 AM
i'm not trying to start anything.but when I see that Ed Reed who is hurt is going to try and play sunday so he can try and help his team win it makes me wonder how bad troy's injury is...if it was a slight tweak as was originally reported then even troy at 50% is better than no troy in the game sunday..not trying to question anyones toughness but it does make you wonder just a little...

I'd rather have him at 100% next season. Why risk any further injury in a more likely than not meaningless game at the end of the season.

tony hipchest
12-30-2009, 12:27 AM
i'm not trying to start anything.but when I see that Ed Reed who is hurt is going to try and play sunday so he can try and help his team win it makes me wonder how bad troy's injury is...if it was a slight tweak as was originally reported then even troy at 50% is better than no troy in the game sunday..not trying to question anyones toughness but it does make you wonder just a little...anyone who reported it as a "slight tweak" is an ignorant moron who shot their load prematurely IMO.

in regards to mike tomlin... it seems his message may be getting through to arians.

1st and goal from the 5 and in two consecutive running tries with mendenhall, we see him punch it in (i think thats a first for the season).

thats 2 weeks in a row we have seen mendenhall rush a ball in for a td, as opposed to empty backfield set for a sack or a ben toss for an interception.

good job mike! :thumbsup:

(his answers in regards to wallace and not crying over spilt milk are about as good as it gets)

JEFF4i
12-30-2009, 03:56 AM
I still like him, even though some on here are crying about Tomlin.

His answers were solid and his philosophy for winning has been too. If it's true that Ben saw the flag, then no harm no foul.

Preacher
12-30-2009, 04:41 AM
I noticed this little gem as well...

Q: Was Ben Roethlisberger out of the pocket when the illegal contact by Frank Walker occurred?

A: He was in the pocket when the infraction occurred. I watched the tape. Ben saw the flag when he worked back to his left and assumed, because of the location, that it was a defensive penalty, so he took a shot downfield. He was aware of the penalty prior to letting go of the football.

That throw deep was EXACTLY because a penalty was already called. That was Arians, or Ben deciding to be a cowboy. It was a free shot downfield with no ramifications. We had what, 2 or 3 of those on Sunday. Good for Ben to see it and try to make something of it.

GoSlash27
12-30-2009, 04:59 AM
Q: Hows Hines Ward doing?

A: Hines is miserable, but Im going to save a seat on the bus for him. Hes got two hamstrings and a myriad of other issues. It gives him a bad disposition, but hell show.

Q: Did he injure the second hamstring compensating for the first?

A: Im sure in some form or fashion, but thats Hines. Hes going to leave it out on the field. Hes going to give us everything he has. He was lying on the table down there with two icebags on his hamstrings when I walked it to check on him, and he was in his usual good spirits.

Somebody needs to sit him down IMO. There's only one Hines Ward, but we can handle business without him crippling himself.

Preacher
12-30-2009, 05:31 AM
Somebody needs to sit him down IMO. There's only one Hines Ward, but we can handle business without him crippling himself.

LOL...

What I loved, was the "bad disposition" comment. You know, Hines and a bad disposition is a bad combination for an opponents linebackers :chuckle:

eafratitpm3
12-30-2009, 10:13 AM
I'd rather have him at 100% next season. Why risk any further injury in a more likely than not meaningless game at the end of the season.

I agree 100%. I think we can beat the Dolphins without Troy, if he was 50% I think one of the other games that we lost to the Raiders/Chiefs/Browns would have served us more with him in there if it were just his presence.
With our slim chance of making the playoffs I wouldn't risk hin at all.:tt04:

BlastFurnace
12-30-2009, 10:44 AM
I noticed this little gem as well...

That throw deep was EXACTLY because a penalty was already called. That was Arians, or Ben deciding to be a cowboy. It was a free shot downfield with no ramifications. We had what, 2 or 3 of those on Sunday. Good for Ben to see it and try to make something of it.

I agree with you 100%. Wallace was wide open. Had Ben just got a little more "umph' into it, it would have been a Touchdown.

The only problem I had with it was all the missed tackles as he was returning the INT.

MACH1
12-30-2009, 11:01 AM
LOL...

What I loved, was the "bad disposition" comment. You know, Hines and a bad disposition is a bad combination for an opponents linebackers :chuckle:

Only if he can run. A double hammy might make that difficult.

markymarc
12-30-2009, 01:25 PM
Sounds like we could be seeing Tyler Grisham or Joey Galloway playing the #3 WR spot on Sunday.

revefsreleets
12-30-2009, 01:31 PM
I wonder if the Steelers FO realizes that Ted Ginn is a bust? The braintrust says so, so it must be true. We probably won't even need to cover him Sunday which should really help bolster our secondary....

MACH1
12-30-2009, 01:38 PM
I wonder if the Steelers FO realizes that Ted Ginn is a bust? The braintrust says so, so it must be true. We probably won't even need to cover him Sunday which should really help bolster our secondary....

Weeee.....We get to watch Ted Dropped it A'Ginn.

Better?

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-30-2009, 01:39 PM
Oh yeah, this is gonna be good. I almost forgot that we get to see Ted Ginn vs William Gay, all day. :doh: should be a good matchup.

The other matchups that will be interesting for me are Jake Long, vs Harrison and Woodley vs Carey in the pass game and on the other side, I have a bad feeling that Cam Wake is gonna give Willie Colon and his short arms, fits. :banging:

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-30-2009, 01:41 PM
WTF does Ted Dropped it A'Ginn have to do with this thread.

YOU.........must be part of the braintrust. :pin:

SteelCityMom
12-30-2009, 01:41 PM
Oh yeah, this is gonna be good. I almost forgot that we get to see Ted Ginn vs William Gay, all day. :doh: should be a good matchup

Let's just hope Gay doesn't make Ginn look like Randy Moss lol.

MACH1
12-30-2009, 01:43 PM
YOU.........must be part of the braintrust. :pin:

Yep, my bad. My reading comprehension isn't that great today.

:doh::doh::doh:

revefsreleets
12-30-2009, 01:43 PM
WTF does Ted Dropped it A'Ginn have to do with this thread.

Reading is fundamental:

Tomlin mentions him by name not once, but TWICE!

"Of course, weve got to be ready to deal with Ted Ginn, Jr., not only as a wideout, but also in the return game."

And:

"(Chad) Henne spreads the ball around to a lot of people, (Davone) Bess, (Ted) Ginn, (Brian) Hartline and others"

I know Tomlin isn't as knowledgeable as most fans here, but this is taking it a bit far, isn't it? Naming a specific player whom the braintrust has already dismissed as one of the worst busts in the last 5 years?

MACH1
12-30-2009, 01:45 PM
Reading is fundamental:

Tomlin mentions him by name not once, but TWICE!

"Of course, weve got to be ready to deal with Ted Ginn, Jr., not only as a wideout, but also in the return game."

And:

"(Chad) Henne spreads the ball around to a lot of people, (Davone) Bess, (Ted) Ginn, (Brian) Hartline and others"

I know Tomlin isn't as knowledgeable as most fans here, but this is taking it a bit far, isn't it? Naming a specific player whom the braintrust has already dismissed as one of the worst busts in the last 5 years?

Yep, as I said my reading comp isn't up to snuff today.

A future HOF'r that earned the nick name Dropped it A'Ginn. :noidea:

tony hipchest
12-30-2009, 06:44 PM
actually the steelers may wanna put their best and fastest CB (ike taylor) on "drop it a'ginn, and have him shadow him the whole game. after all, ginn is bringing his whopping 2 reception per game average to the table :chuckle:

that, and his 35 catches for 400 yds and a touchdown, musta been what tomlin was talking about when saying henne likes to spread the ball around.

the great thing about this match up is ike would finally be going up against someone who drops the ball more than he does. :laughing:

but the fact is, had the 3rd year pro (and i use that term loosely) been a trojan, longhorn, or wolverine, he woulda long since been declared a bust by the guru, but since he is a buckeye the love affair continues...

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/lovegurunewtrailer.jpg

"Oh boy...

Ted Ginn Jr.

Know the name. You'll be hearing a LOT of it for the next 15 years, and maybe for another 15 after that."

:toofunny:

LVSteelersfan
12-30-2009, 07:21 PM
I believe he was mostly mentioning Ginn because of the return game. Not so much his WR skills. With our lousy kick coverage, Ginn could have a field day on us just like others before him.

tony hipchest
12-30-2009, 10:50 PM
I believe he was mostly mentioning Ginn because of the return game. Not so much his WR skills. With our lousy kick coverage, Ginn could have a field day on us just like others before him.you would think, but tomlin, the front office, and the guru are 100X more brilliant than any of us peon messageboard posting, fans.

nevermind that tomlin has a photographic memory and easilly commits all 53 members of every 32 teams rosters to memory in the blink of an eye and waxes poetic about the competition (by name0 every single week...

the mere fact that he mentioned ginn by name (TWICE) and the guru is an OSUfan, is true testament to ginns HOF receiving credentials.

as far as his return skills they are impressive.... good thing the steelers got someone better to act as him on scout teams (logan).

make no mistake, our rookie UDFA from the canadian league has out preformed the vaunted top ten future HOF pick from 3 years ago on kick AND punt returns (logan is 3rd in the league and well below 1/10 the price.) infact he is only behind ginn in total yards by 100 and he only has 1 touch from scrimmage.

now by no means would i ever call stefan logan a bust. then again, we didnt spend a 9th overall draft pick and millions of dollars to get him. the 2 also have another similarity... logan will never be a legitimate rb in this league. and even though ginn is predicted to be a solid #3 for years to come, he cant shake a stick at m. wallace or our last udfa #3 wr (n. washington).

anyways, when logan practices against the steelers coverage unit in practice does he score a TD every time? i would think he does.

i will hope ginn doesnt.

(FWIW- i expect ginn to be a significant part of the dolphins gameplan on sunday- the dolphins mgmt arent stupid either (although only the guru can truly make that call) and he's about all they got in a last ditch effort to win this game.

an early shot with ginn (hoping he doesnt do his finest sweed impersonation), test a quick heavy dose of r. williams, a little wildcat, and then go with what seems to work best.

Preacher
12-30-2009, 10:59 PM
Sigh.

http://www.baileydigitalimages.com/shop/images/1440-644.jpg

tony hipchest
12-30-2009, 11:33 PM
Sigh.

http://www.baileydigitalimages.com/shop/images/1440-644.jpg

did someone say pissing contest?

CmVvgo1wxh4

Steeldude
12-31-2009, 01:49 AM
you would think, but tomlin, the front office, and the guru are 100X more brilliant than any of us peon messageboard posting, fans.

nevermind that tomlin has a photographic memory and easilly commits all 53 members of every 32 teams rosters to memory in the blink of an eye and waxes poetic about the competition (by name0 every single week...

the mere fact that he mentioned ginn by name (TWICE) and the guru is an OSUfan, is true testament to ginns HOF receiving credentials.

:thumbsup::rofl:

so is revs once again claiming a person is great based on going to ohio st?:doh:

or is he claiming ginn is great because tomlin mentioned his name?

or both? :rofl:

revefsreleets
12-31-2009, 03:01 PM
Yep, as I said my reading comp isn't up to snuff today.

A future HOF'r that earned the nick name Dropped it A'Ginn. :noidea:

HOF? I never said anything even remotely close to that...but it's once again a lot of fun to watch people get all frustrated and take it out on me. I'm sorry Sweed busted out, but it's not MY fault.:rofl:

I said, BEFORE THE DRAFT, that Ginn's name would be one we'd be hearing for the next 15 years.

We're still talking about him, so....so far, so good.

markymarc
12-31-2009, 03:07 PM

You're right because we are talking about him. At least we know Ted Ginn Jr is high up on 1 NFL list...........and that would be tied for 4th in most dropped passes this season.

revefsreleets
12-31-2009, 03:16 PM
Tell ya what, Sparky...when your draft picks are 100% spot on and without error, get back to me, okay?

Rick5895
12-31-2009, 03:22 PM
Enough of this Ted Ginn nonsense, back to the injury reports. We will be able to beat the fish without troy. Let him strengthen the knee and hopefully if we (when) we have a playoff run we have as close to 100% Troy. Same with Hines, he should sit. I know he makes big catches but again, I think our O can be just fine for the game against the fish without him. I am sure Galloway, with a couple of weeks in our O, can fill the void. Grisham as #4. As I said if or when we are in the playoffs we need these guys (Hines and Troy) to advance.

markymarc
12-31-2009, 03:36 PM
Tell ya what, Sparky...when your draft picks are 100% spot on and without error, get back to me, okay?

Right back at you board genius!

MACH1
12-31-2009, 04:14 PM
HOF? I never said anything even remotely close to that...but it's once again a lot of fun to watch people get all frustrated and take it out on me. I'm sorry Sweed busted out, but it's not MY fault.:rofl:

I said, BEFORE THE DRAFT, that Ginn's name would be one we'd be hearing for the next 15 years.

The only reason anyone utters his name is because he's a bust and gets paid big bucks to drop it a'ginn.

markymarc
01-01-2010, 02:30 PM
I will be the first to admit about being wrong on draft picks. Here are a few of the Steelers picks that I was totally off with.

1. Tim Worley
2. Bruce Davis
3. Matt Spaeth
4. Dallas Baker
5. Anthony Smith

Then here is a list of draft picks from other NFL teams that I was completely wrong about.

1. Charles Rogers
2. Matt Jones
3. Blair Thomas
4. Keith McCants
5. Aundray Bruce
6. Steve Emtman

Now let me add that I do believe Ted Ginn Jr. will have an alright NFL career for the Dolphins. I do believe he was taken way too early and should not have been a first round pick. IMO he was way over hyped coming out of Ohio State.

Steeldude
01-01-2010, 06:13 PM
HOF? I never said anything even remotely close to that...

how deep does the hypocrisy go :rofl: