PDA

View Full Version : Polamalu, Ward look to suit up for finale

Galax Steeler
12-30-2009, 08:59 AM
Strong safety Troy Polamalu and wide receiver Hines Ward are working toward playing Sunday against the Miami Dolphins. Whether either is healthy enough to play in the regular-season finale remains to be seen, though coach Mike Tomlin sounded more optimistic about Ward, who is nursing hamstring injuries in both legs.

Polamalu has missed six consecutive games with a strained posterior collateral ligament. He has done some straight-line running the past two days with an eye toward playing against the Dolphins.

"He's just progressing, trying to get ready, hopefully to play," Tomlin said of Polamalu at his weekly news conference. "The door's not closed on him participating."

Ward got treatment yesterday, and Tomlin checked on the 12-year veteran as he was icing both hamstrings.

"He's going to give us everything he has," Tomlin said.

Running back Willie Parker (shoulder) has been ruled out for the 1 p.m. game against the Dolphins. Tomlin said he is hopeful left guard Chris Kemoeatu (wrist) will be able to play. Kemoeatu, as well as defensive end Brett Keisel (neck) and linebacker Rocky Boiman (calf), will be limited this week in practice.

The Steelers placed rookie cornerback Keenan Lewis (back) on injured reserve and signed Trae Williams from the Seattle Seahawks' practice squad. A fifth-round draft pick by the Jaguars in 2008, Williams spent last season on the Eagles' practice squad. Lewis, a third-round draft pick last April, played in four games this season and was credited with one tackle on special teams.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_659969.html?feed=9&source=rss_teams_Pittsburgh_Steelers

MACH1
12-30-2009, 11:05 AM
Parker hurt again? Gettin brittle in his old age. :wink02:

BlastFurnace
12-30-2009, 11:07 AM
I wouldn't even play Troy any more this season. I don't see the point. If this team could make a serious Super Bowl run, then I would consider it, but I don't see it this year.

Nadroj 20
12-30-2009, 11:14 AM
I wouldn't even play Troy any more this season. I don't see the point. If this team could make a serious Super Bowl run, then I would consider it, but I don't see it this year.

I agree we can beat the dolphins with him and if we would make the playoffs thats when we would like to see him come back....other then playing in a meaningful playoff game i dont expect to see #43 until next season.

markymarc
12-30-2009, 01:34 PM
I would actually sit Hines Ward and Troy Polamalu against the Dolphins. Let's see what Tyler Grisham and Joey Galloway can offer this final weekend. Save Troy and Hines for the playoffs :tt02:

Glace
12-30-2009, 02:04 PM
Heh...Parker gets less than 5 touches and hurts his shoulder now....

I'm so glad we got Mendy so we can wave bye-bye to "Fast" Willie Parker.

GoSlash27
12-30-2009, 02:24 PM
Where does this article say what the headline implies?:noidea:

VinnySteel
12-30-2009, 03:26 PM
I'm still wondering why Troy wasn't placed on IR after the last game he played. Really what gave them the impression he was going to come back any time before this last game and even then, what's the use. I have a feeling he'll suit up as a decoy then sit on the sideline the whole game.

birdflyhigh
12-30-2009, 03:43 PM
They should save them for next year, ITS OVER.

markymarc
12-31-2009, 01:47 PM
According to the ESPN ticker last night on TV they mentioned that while Troy did practice on Wednesday he is not expected to play against the Dolphins.

JEFF4i
12-31-2009, 02:07 PM
I feel for all of them, to be honest. For Troy, keep him out, we'll need him for the post-season.

For Hines...well, Ward is going to do what he's going to do. Luckily we have a decent bit of receivers we can count on.

For FWP, well, his hayday may be gone, but he's still got some fire in the furnace. 2 touches against the Ravens and got nearly half the yards Mendy did, and I love Mendy.

supa_fly_steeler
12-31-2009, 02:13 PM
Heh...Parker gets less than 5 touches and hurts his shoulder now....

I'm so glad we got Mendy so we can wave bye-bye to "Fast" Willie Parker.

wtf that is extreme ignorance, fans like you irratate me, did you not know what willie did for us all these years, that's a disgraceful comment.

i would be ashamed if i was you, while parker is ineffective for us, he will probably become one of the best steeler running backs ever.

GoSlash27
12-31-2009, 02:24 PM
Supafly,
While I'm with you on giving FWP his due as a Steeler and a RB with huge numbers, I can kinda see Glace's point.
I have always said that FWP was a bad fit for us. While his running is impressive, it's not drive-sustaining. And he has always been fragile.

I am very glad Mendy has matured.
/still wish we had hung onto Redman

JEFF4i
12-31-2009, 04:07 PM
Supafly,
While I'm with you on giving FWP his due as a Steeler and a RB with huge numbers, I can kinda see Glace's point.
I have always said that FWP was a bad fit for us. While his running is impressive, it's not drive-sustaining. And he has always been fragile.

What's the fit anymore though? We're a passing team now, many would say that's a bad fit.

I'd like to see Parker finish his days as a Steeler, he still has some left in the tank, and when it was a combo of him and Bettis, our running game couldn't be stopped. We can still use what he has to offer.

memphissteelergirl
12-31-2009, 07:13 PM
I with the school of thought that we won't see TP again this season. :noidea:

casteeler
01-01-2010, 12:17 AM
i seriously doubt anyone on this forum knows troys status , so let's let the guys being paid to make these decisions do their jobs.If troy feels like playing let him then let him play!

AllD
01-01-2010, 08:42 AM
Ward needs to call Art Monk and ask him how he warms up. Ward's hamstrings could be a result of not stretching enough. When you get older your body loses some of its elasticity and flexability. Especially with Ward skipping Wednesday practices, he needs to do something to avoid this situation. I don't know what Ward's workout activity entails, but the accumulation of hits and his longevity may have finally caught up to the great one.

Will he be able to finish next season? Will he be around to finish his contract?

OneForTheToe
01-01-2010, 12:05 PM
They should save them for next year, ITS OVER.

Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

:tt04:

Somebody is going to miss this reference and correct me for sure.:wink02:

KYsteelfan
01-01-2010, 12:18 PM
Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

I love it. I was about to use that exact same line.

:tt:

GoSlash27
01-01-2010, 12:58 PM
"Germans?"
"Forget it. He's on a roll."
:chuckle:

Seriously... I'd like to see everybody in Black and Gold return, but we've got to do some rebuilding for the future. That means we can't keep everybody we've got. FWP is first to go because he's the most expendable.
Surely there are wiser heads than mine making these decisions, and I'll defer to their judgement.

supa_fly_steeler
01-01-2010, 05:54 PM
Supafly,

yea i get ya but it's as if Grace is saying he doesn't care who comes next, as if he he doesn't even care when we start to replace the older guys, yet they did awesome things for us during there younger years....

as for Redman, i think he will make the squad once moores contract is up in a few year or parker goes, i still think they will also bring justin vincent to the roster as well.

Glace
01-02-2010, 12:12 PM
wtf that is extreme ignorance, fans like you irratate me, did you not know what willie did for us all these years, that's a disgraceful comment.

i would be ashamed if i was you, while parker is ineffective for us, he will probably become one of the best steeler running backs ever.

whoa whoa whoa.....lol.

Maybe I was a little harsh in my wording, but I stand by my point.

Hey, I was impressed with Willie when he first got here. But the more he played, the more I saw problems. Since then he has completely changed the way he runs, which is another problem.

There is no doubt he helped this team immensely in the final years of the Bus. I'm not denying that.

Willie went from being lightning in a bottle to trying to imitate the Bus. After his first year as the starter...he tried to bulk up a little bit. This of course made it easier for the geniuses to say "Hey, lets run willie up the middle!"....FAIL

Willie's biggest runs came when he was in space. He'd either fake to the inside and explode out around the pile down the sideline, or we'd see Ben toss the ball to him out in space.

Sure, he broke a few nice runs going through the middle....one of which was a superbowl record....but there was no consistency...which lead to Willie's stats being completely misleading. I got tired of watching him get buried at the line or behind it 90% of the time....only to have him break a big one and then he's "fast" willie again.

After his injury....he changed even more. He ran scared. He stutter-steps at the line looking for holes....as opposed to Mendy who gets the ball and it's full steam ahead no matter what. Mendy falls forward....Parker falls backwards. And, Mendy STILL runs tough even after his season ending collision with Ray Lewis last year.

As for Parker....I know the kid still has some tread on the tires. He just doesn't fit into Steeler Football. I do wish him well.

I've been saying it since he came to Pittsburgh.....that if the Eagles had landed him and he were in a role like Westbrook....He would be un-freaking-believable.

I don't know how a thread about Troy and Ward got into Willie...but had to defend my viewpoint.

As far as Troy....Stay on the sideline unless we make the playoffs man.

Troy is lucky that he didn't tear anything....to which he needs to credit his off-season workouts and conditioning (you guys see the vids of his workouts? Cool stuff)

The problem with his injury is that with a strain, those tendons and ligaments are now looser than they were before, which could lead to more damage if he plays. This is probably the last game of the season...and if he were to go out and tear something, you can say goodbye to Troy for the beginning of next season as well.

Glace
01-02-2010, 12:16 PM
yea i get ya but it's as if Grace is saying he doesn't care who comes next, as if he he doesn't even care when we start to replace the older guys, yet they did awesome things for us during there younger years....

as for Redman, i think he will make the squad once moores contract is up in a few year or parker goes, i still think they will also bring justin vincent to the roster as well.

And it's GLACE....not grace..... :chuckle:

(Mr. T voice) I pity the fool who be callin me grace!

Just picking man. :drink:

Curtain_of_Steel
01-02-2010, 12:37 PM
IF the Steelers make the playoffs, than they are an immediate threat to win the superbowl. Proven from the past.
Playing Troy against the Fins? Maybe only is key down situations later in the game at best. I would save him, in hopes of being in the playoffs with the goal of playing through it. The question is, is he ready to go, just out of game shape? Or is it still healing? What are the risks, since he doesnt like wearing a brace?

As far as Ward goes? Suck it up. You wanted to shoot of your mouth on BigBen, he can play with short routes and slants. Love Ward but he took a step back in the class act department going after BB.

As far as Troy sitting on the sideline? He hasn't never sat, he has always cheered along and directed from the sideline.

Fire Haley
01-02-2010, 01:10 PM
Where does this article say what the headline implies?:noidea:

Here's a better report

Steelers | Ward practices in full Friday

Fri, 01 Jan 2010 20:15:53 -0800

Pittsburgh Steelers WR Hines Ward (hamstring) practiced in full Friday, Jan. 1. He is listed as probable for Week 17.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steelers | Polamalu limited Friday

Fri, 01 Jan 2010 20:08:31 -0800

Pittsburgh Steelers SS Troy Polamalu (knee) was limited in practice Friday, Jan. 1. He is listed as questionable for Week 17, but he is not expected to play.

Shellshock
01-02-2010, 10:22 PM
Limited means he had phone duty at the Steelers Front Office.