PDA

View Full Version : Bengals are "playing to win"

Pentheon
12-30-2009, 06:35 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/12/30/ocho.ap/index.html

haha ochocinco is funny as hell but the good thing is marvin lewis told him they are playing to win. Don't give up on our chances of the Pats and Bengals winning.

With them struggling lately, I don't see why they wouldn't play their starters.

:tt04::tt02::tt:

Prok
12-30-2009, 06:50 PM
I can't see them playing starters past half time. Especially if pats win earlier. I think they'd rather take their chances with a rookie QB than Ben.

steelpride12
12-30-2009, 06:53 PM
Fighting for the 3rd seed against New England I see both teams playing their starters and fighting to win the game.

tony hipchest
12-30-2009, 06:54 PM
loosely translated this means they are playing to win (in the playoffs). they will scout the jets playing their hardest, throw the game while showing nothing, and play them again the following week with a real game plan and real starters.

steelreserve
12-30-2009, 06:57 PM
Honestly, maybe they do play the whole game to try and get the win just to have some semblance of confidence. Otherwise, they go into the playoffs losing 3 out of 4, with the only teams they've beaten since Nov. 15 being the Chiefs, Lions and Raiders.

... ugh. That actually makes me a lot more skeptical about Cincinnati's chances of winning even if they DON'T rest their starters.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
12-30-2009, 07:18 PM
The Raiders beat the Bengals.

CantStop85
12-30-2009, 07:26 PM
loosely translated this means they are playing to win (in the playoffs). they will scout the jets playing their hardest, throw the game while showing nothing, and play them again the following week with a real game plan and real starters.

Either way I would expect to see a very vanilla game plan from Cincinnati...they won't want to show too much in the chance that they have to play the Jets in the wildcard round. Larry Johnson will probably get a majority of the carries as they want to rest Benson up...but I wouldn't say that's a big drop off talent-wise. I would say that Carson plays deep into the 3rd quarter as he hasn't been particularly sharp this season and could use a tune-up. Ocho's come out and said that he wants to play the whole game. Domata Peko will be playing for the first time since he got injured, so he'll probably get a good amount of snaps just to get back into the swing of things.

I don't think the main concern will be whether or not the starters play (I think they will, and for a good amount of time). I think the main concern should be Cincy's motivation. At best this is a battle for seeding for the Bengals, where as it's pretty much a playoff game for the Jets. It'll be hard for the Bengals to match the Jets intensity based on that fact alone. Add to that the fact that the Bengals will probably run with a very basic game plan, and it'll be tough to for them to beat the Jets. I think the key to the game will be turnovers...if Sanchez starts making mistakes then the Bengals could pull it out.

On the bright side, it is the Bengals' first prime time game of the season, and seeing as they just found out that none of them made the Pro Bowl, the motivational factor could be there. Should be interesting.

CPanther95
12-30-2009, 07:42 PM
Fighting for the 3rd seed against New England I see both teams playing their starters and fighting to win the game.

If NE wins at 1 pm, they lock up the #3 seed. If they lose, it probably won't matter to the Steelers if the Bengals win or not.

Bengals won't be fighting for anything except to play the Jets in Round 1 instead of the Ravens. The question is, "Is that worth fighting for?"

SH-Rock
12-30-2009, 07:46 PM
Ochocinco wants to play. At least we'll be amused

SteelerForever
12-30-2009, 09:27 PM
If NE wins at 1 pm, they lock up the #3 seed. If they lose, it probably won't matter to the Steelers if the Bengals win or not.

Bengals won't be fighting for anything except to play the Jets in Round 1 instead of the Ravens. The question is, "Is that worth fighting for?"

This is not necessarily true!! The tiebreaker that will decide 3rd seed is the strength of victory. The Patriots currently have the lead in that tiebreaker but if the Steelers are still alive and needing a Bengal win to make the playoffs the there is a chance the tiebreaker has swayed over to the Bengals.

As of now the Patriots have a 4 game lead heading into the final week of the season.If the Steelers are still alive both Pittsburgh and Baltimore had to win. Since the Bengals beat each of these teams twice they quickly pick up 4 wins whereas the Patriots only pick up 1. If the Browns beat the Jags and the Colts beat the Bills the Bengals would actually have a 1 game lead heading into the final 2 games.

The final games that would ultimately decide this tiebreaker would be :

KC at Denver
GB at Arizona

vs

Tenn at Seattle
New Orleans at Carolina

If the Bengals keep pace in these 2 games they would be playing for the 3rd seed when they play the Jets. Steeler fans need to cheer for KC,GB, Seattle and New Orleans. If just 2 of these teams wins the Bengals could still be the 3 seed and moving their game to the night game could actually help us because the Bengals would know all the variables!!!!

I know I am asking for alot but all the games are very possible. Keep the Faith!!!!!!!!!!

CPanther95
12-30-2009, 10:37 PM
This is not necessarily true!! The tiebreaker that will decide 3rd seed is the strength of victory. The Patriots currently have the lead in that tiebreaker but if the Steelers are still alive and needing a Bengal win to make the playoffs the there is a chance the tiebreaker has swayed over to the Bengals.

As of now the Patriots have a 4 game lead heading into the final week of the season.If the Steelers are still alive both Pittsburgh and Baltimore had to win. Since the Bengals beat each of these teams twice they quickly pick up 4 wins whereas the Patriots only pick up 1. If the Browns beat the Jags and the Colts beat the Bills the Bengals would actually have a 1 game lead heading into the final 2 games.

The final games that would ultimately decide this tiebreaker would be :

KC at Denver
GB at Arizona

vs

Tenn at Seattle
New Orleans at Carolina

If the Bengals keep pace in these 2 games they would be playing for the 3rd seed when they play the Jets. Steeler fans need to cheer for KC,GB, Seattle and New Orleans. If just 2 of these teams wins the Bengals could still be the 3 seed and moving their game to the night game could actually help us because the Bengals would know all the variables!!!!

I know I am asking for alot but all the games are very possible. Keep the Faith!!!!!!!!!!

None of that changes the fact that if the 3rd seed is locked up by SNF, it won't matter to the Bengals.

Plus, with all that would have to happen for the Pats to win and lose the #3 seed, I'd rather just root for Oakland.

Rick5895
12-30-2009, 10:44 PM
With the struggles the Bengals have had this season and the fact they didn't play a great game against KC. I expect them to come out hard and play to win. Consider the fact they will be the prime time game. I beleive they will beat the jets on Sunday night. The Jets have trouble with physical teams that can run, that is Cinci. should be a good game.

Preacher
12-30-2009, 10:47 PM
I would fall over laughing if, after SNF is over,

the Steelers find themselves in the 5th seed.

VegasStlrFan
12-30-2009, 11:19 PM
They can play to win, not sure that will matter. I don't think Cincy wins this game with or without something to play for. I hope they win, but I'm just not sold on CIncy.

stillers4me
12-30-2009, 11:28 PM
I would fall over laughing if, after SNF is over,

the Steelers find themselves in the 5th seed.

I would fall over laughing if, after being shoved into the playoffs, the Jets win the Superbowl.

As a matter of fact, If the Jets get in and we don't, I'm going to be the biggest Jets fan in the world. :chuckle:

Psyychoward86
12-30-2009, 11:37 PM
the bengals have lost 2 of the last 3 games. And the one game that they won was a last minute ugly ass win against the lowly Chiefs. I dont see why they wouldnt play their starters. What kind of dumb coach would feel confident going into the playoffs with a team that has lost 3 of the last 4? (at least that would be the likely scenario if the bengals play their backups)

SteelerForever
12-31-2009, 12:03 AM
None of that changes the fact that if the 3rd seed is locked up by SNF, it won't matter to the Bengals.

Plus, with all that would have to happen for the Pats to win and lose the #3 seed, I'd rather just root for Oakland.

I will surely root for the Raiders first but I sure would like the Bengals to have something to play for if the Raiders lay an egg.

BTW, winning 2 pickem games and spliting the other 4 really isn't too far of a stretch.

pepsyman1
12-31-2009, 12:36 AM
I will surely root for the Raiders first but I sure would like the Bengals to have something to play for if the Raiders lay an egg.

BTW, winning 2 pickem games and spliting the other 4 really isn't too far of a stretch.

I tried running your scenarios through all the different playoff generators that can be found and regardless of how any of the other games go, the Pats still get the number 3 seed if they win. The gap in the "strength of wins percentage" is too big to overcome with only the one game left. If you find any source that shows otherwise, post it.

mikegrimey
12-31-2009, 01:09 AM
I totally agree that if the Jets sally into the playoffs off the strength of beating a couple of teams 2nd stringers, I will root for them to the end. Nothing would be funnier if the Jets got an upset in the wildcard round and went into indy and totally flustered a rusty Colts team that hasn't played meaningful football in almost a month.

I'm really really hoping the Colts lay an egg in the divisonal round. It served them right to be ousted in 2007 after screwing the Browns over (oddly enough I wasn't too upset about it then), i'm thinking history will repeat.

pghfrank1948
12-31-2009, 07:35 AM
I dont Bungles can beat the Jets even if they play all starters. That teams is like Obama (Smoke and Mirrors) Their Defense is ok but the offense is suspect. No deep threat, and if you stop Benson, Its open season on Pretty Boy Palmer. You can bet Ryan will be after Palmers Knees if he plays. He coached those Thugs in Baltimore and knows how to late hit a QB. They wont do the Steelers any favors to be sure. We knocked them out of their two chances at a playoff win. IN 05 win Kimo, and 06 to keep them out. No help from them. But I think Oakland will beat the Rats, and K.C will beat Denver, and N.E. will take out Houston. So Fingers are crossed. I just want a W in Miami !!!!! Go Steelers!!!

HometownGal
12-31-2009, 07:41 AM

Agreed. :thumbsup:

steelballs
12-31-2009, 07:47 AM
..I'll believe it when I see it.

Texasteel
12-31-2009, 07:51 AM
We shouldn't be in this position, but we are. The day may go our way and it might not. Either way, I'm still a Steeler, have been for over 35 year, hope to be for another 35. Go get um fellas!!!

steelballs
12-31-2009, 08:13 AM
We shouldn't be in this position, but we are. The day may go our way and it might not. Either way, I'm still a Steeler, have been for over 35 year, hope to be for another 35. Go get um fellas!!!

Ditto that brother.
This season was frustrating to say the least, but I'd rather be a "frustrated" Steeler fan than a fan of any other team.

My Steeler "fandom" started in 1969 (8 years old) and it has been a great ride ever since. I hope to see another 35+ years just like you Tex...and GO STEELERS!

steelcity1974
12-31-2009, 08:27 AM
The Bengals "playing to win" doesn't make me feel any better. It's not as if they are Indy who can DECIDE if they want to win a game or not. I don't think he Bengals will put their best team, formations, plays on the field this Sunday...but even if they did...I can see the Jets winning anyway. I think they will have a good chance of beating the Bengals in back to back weeks. Bengals lost 2 straight to good teams and then nearly lost to the Chiefs at home. They are not playing their best ball right now.

Rick5895
12-31-2009, 08:30 AM
Ditto that brother.
This season was frustrating to say the least, but I'd rather be a "frustrated" Steeler fan than a fan of any other team.

My Steeler "fandom" started in 1969 (8 years old) and it has been a great ride ever since. I hope to see another 35+ years just like you Tex...and GO STEELERS!

DITTO!!

But I have a funny feeling Texans, Ratbirds and Jets will all lose. Call it karma on the Colts whose disgusting display of quitting last week affected more teams than just the Steelers.:tt04::tt:

CPanther95
12-31-2009, 08:52 AM
I tried running your scenarios through all the different playoff generators that can be found and regardless of how any of the other games go, the Pats still get the number 3 seed if they win. The gap in the "strength of wins percentage" is too big to overcome with only the one game left. If you find any source that shows otherwise, post it.

The playoff generators must not be programmed beyond the common opponents tiebreaker. I know the Yahoo generator doesn't show Cincy overtaking them, but they would if all those games went just right.

SteelerForever
12-31-2009, 09:40 AM

I haven't seen it anywhere either. I did the computation myself. I will try to summarize the info for you.

The Bengals defeated (Pit,Pit Balt Balt Cle Cle GB Det Chi KC) Those teams have 61 wins.

The Patriots defeated (Atl Car TB Balt Tenn Mia NYJ Buf Buf Jax). Those teams have 65 wins.

In order for the Bengals to pass the Patriots they need to have the teams they defeated have 5 more wins than the teams the Patriots defeated. NOTE The Bengals have to win this tiebreaker because they lose the next one if they tie.

If the Steelers are still alive Sunday Night needing a Bengal win to make the playoffs the Steelers and Ravens both won earlier. That means 4 wins for the Bengals and only 1 for the Patriots. Now the Tiebreaker is 66 - 65 Patriots.

Since Detroit plays Chicago one team will win. The same goes for TB and Atlanta. Each team getting a win makes the tiebreaker 67-66 Patriots.

If the Browns beat the Jags the Bengals get 2 and the Patriots 0 which actually swings the tiebreaker in the Bengals favor 68-67. In order to keep this advantage the Colts have to beat the Bills because the Pats beat the Bills twice.

Now there are only 4 games left ( KC at Den, GB at Ariz, NO at Car, Tenn at Sea). The Bengals can now win the tiebreaker if 2 of the following 4 teams win (KC GB NO Sea)

In summary here is what need to happen:

Pittsburgh Wins
Baltimore Wins
Cleveland Wins
Indianapolis Wins

and

2 of these 4 teams must win (KC GB NO Sea)

steelballs
12-31-2009, 09:56 AM
DITTO!!

But I have a funny feeling Texans, Ratbirds and Jets will all lose. Call it karma on the Colts whose disgusting display of quitting last week affected more teams than just the Steelers.:tt04::tt:

I hope you're right about the aforementioned games.

I was disgusted as well last week with the Colts....although each team has the right to make their own personnel decisions, the laying down by the Colts was really bad for the league.

The Colt fans, players and media were all PO'd by the decision as the Colts had the
opportunity to pursue that ever elusive unbeaten season, but pretty much told their supporters screw you.
I would have understood the decision more if the Colts already had a loss, but to take a dive when still undefeated was in my book unexcusable....they deserve the "karma" gods to make them pay a price.

Dino 6 Rings
12-31-2009, 10:09 AM
I think its all talking nonsense out of Cincy and that they pull their starters in the 3rd regardless to rest up for the playoffs.

We'll see...right now...GO STEELERS Go Raiders, Go Patriots, Go Chiefs, Go Bengals

CPanther95
12-31-2009, 10:31 AM
My nightmare scenario is that we need a Cincy win and at a key point in the game Ochocinco catches the ball, runs towards the endzone then stops, places the ball on the 1 yard line, pulls a Terrible Towel out of his pants and twirls it overhead as he walks back to the sideline.

Dino 6 Rings
12-31-2009, 10:33 AM
My nightmare scenario is that we need a Cincy win and at a key point in the game Ochocinco catches the ball, runs towards the endzone then stops, places the ball on the 1 yard line, pulls a Terrible Towel out of his pants and twirls it overhead as he walks back to the sideline.

you know...he'd pay for that right?

FacemeIke
12-31-2009, 11:09 AM
At least Larry Johnson will play for the Bengals second stringers. Maybe they can just pound the ball down New York's throat and still win the game.

CPanther95
12-31-2009, 11:23 AM
you know...he'd pay for that right?

Oh yeah, both directly and via the curse.

But until then he'd be the talk of the sports world.

GoSlash27
12-31-2009, 12:11 PM
Chad gets a lot more leeway for that sort of behavior than most WRs. I wonder how much it annoys his team mates.

UltimateBengal
12-31-2009, 02:22 PM

Bingo! If NE loses, then they will approach this game with a very conservative game plan on both sides of the ball. They will not reveal anything because they will be playing them the following week. The starters will play as long as the game is close. If NE wins, the starters will be out by halftime, Palmer might only play one quarter. The bottom line is that by resting your guys or playing a vanilla game, you get a chance to scout and develop a game plan for the Jets the following week in Cincy. Losing this game could possibly eliminate the Steelers and send the Ravens(if they win) to NE. So what would we gain by winning this game, nothing!

CPanther95
12-31-2009, 02:29 PM
Bingo! If NE loses, then they will approach this game with a very conservative game plan on both sides of the ball. They will not reveal anything because they will be playing them the following week. The starters will play as long as the game is close. If NE wins, the starters will be out by halftime, Palmer might only play one quarter. The bottom line is that by resting your guys or playing a vanilla game, you get a chance to scout and develop a game plan for the Jets the following week in Cincy. Losing this game could possibly eliminate the Steelers and send the Ravens(if they win) to NE. So what would we gain by winning this game, nothing!

If NE loses, Bengals will play to win. They'll get the #3 (probably against the Broncos) and Ravens will go to NE.

Unless they have orchestrated a deal with NE to both lose their games. :doh:

TackleMeBen
12-31-2009, 02:31 PM
that would be funny and wouldnt be funny.. i think the competitor in ocho cinco would want to score so he can do his impression of fireman ed of the jets.

AllD
01-01-2010, 09:04 AM
We beat the Bills in 2004 with our backups including 102 yards by Willie Parker. The Bills' loss kept them out of the playoffs.