PDA

View Full Version : Ed Bouchette's Steelers chat transcript

mesaSteeler
12-30-2009, 09:48 PM
Ed Bouchette's Steelers chat transcript
Wednesday, December 30, 2009
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09364/1024724-66.stm

Ed Bouchette: Good afternoon. Just listened to Mike Tomlin at his news conference and he said nothing I did not expect. Let's begin

JoseATL: What is the word on Troy returning for the final game of the season and if there is a postseason for any of those games?

Ed Bouchette: MT said Polamalu ran yesterday and today in a straight line. He said he might try to practice. He said the door is not closed to him playing Sunday. It sounded to me as if it were not open wide either.

bdenny29: Ed, give me a Happy New Year and tell me that Jeff Reed will be our kicker in 2010 ... please!

Ed Bouchette: I cannot tell you that. I can say he should be their kicker, but I'm not sure they will settle on a contract and someone else might jump in and give him more. He, to me, is one of the more underrated kickers in the league because he has to kick in Heinz and the rest of the AFC North, where there are no domes and all teams play in the North.

screenwriter: Ed, Who within the Steelers organization might Bill Cowher hire as part of his new staff?

Ed Bouchette: I think you might look at some of the coaches who were here under Cowher previously, especially on defense, people such as Keith Butler, Ray Horton.

Israel P.: Ed, if the Saints had remained undefeated, do you think the Colts would have pulled their starters?

Ed Bouchette: I don't think that was relevant to the Colts. They had a shot at becoming the only team to go 19-0 and decided to take a dive instead.

Mwoodym112: Ed, love the chat, Whats the feeling around the locker room with the way the Colts more or less quit the other day, and let the Jets win? I know the Steelers needed to take care of their own business, but it looks like the Jets are going to slip into the playoffs, and they don`t really deserve too!

Ed Bouchette: Are you saying the Steelers -- who lost to KC, Oakland and Cleveland, need I remind you -- deserve it more than the Jets?

Yogi Berra: Ed I always say it ain't over till it's over, well what do you say?

Ed Bouchette: I think it's over.

screenwriter: Ed, Will the Steelers make some "splash" free agent signings in an uncapped 2010 season?

Ed Bouchette: I do not expect the Steelers to operate any differently in the uncapped year than they normally do.

Ed Bouchette: BULLETIN: Steelers just placed rookie corner Keenan Lewis on IR with a back problem that has plagued him all season. Signed CB Trae Williams from Seahawks practice squad. He was drafted in 5th round by Jaguars in '08 from South Florida. This is the first 53-man roster he will make.

Dan from Munhall: What did Tomlin say at the conference that was so unexpected?

Ed Bouchette: Nothing.

MARINO_KNOWS_BEST: Ed, do Mendenhall's spinning issues need to be addressed... it seems to make him prone to fumbles much like AD of Minnesota.

Ed Bouchette: I do not know what makes me dizzier, trying to figure out tiebreakers or watching Mendenhall spin into the line.

arjan: I am sick of hearing so many people whine about this or that. Whatever, we have one game to play and better than a small chance of getting into the tournament. In regards to identity, I know we aren't the "smashmouth" team of old, but I feel like in general there isn't a strong sense of team and direction. Have you noticed that?

Ed Bouchette: No.

Steely_J: Ed ... I've got the perfect nickname for the 09 Steelers Defense ... "The Steel Circle" ... cuz we don't have any corners. Your thoughts?

Ed Bouchette: I have none, but I like Rust Belt.

screenwriter: Ed, Assuming the Steelers season officially ends this Sunday night, how soon might we see a shake-up among the coaching staff?

Ed Bouchette: If there are changes, I would say one week.

S.CalifSteelerFan: Any bets on whether Bengals will pull their starters?

Ed Bouchette: You mean they might even start their starters? I expect a full Cincy Bengals dive Sunday night. There is no reason for them to play, and actually more reason for them to throw the game and not allow the Steelers into the playoffs.

Need_A_Miracle: Ed: Mr. Goodell changed the game time on Sunday which is detrimental to the Steelers. Your thoughts?

Ed Bouchette: Yes, I answered that in my daily question today. Mr. Goodell changed the game time for Bengals-Jets because they thought that would be the most attractive for TV. I agree. The Steelers have no one but themselves to blame for their predicament and have no beefs about the NFL changing game times that might hurt their chances.

Reid Bryant: Ed, the NFL playoff scenario 3 states a Steelers win and losses by Ravens, Broncos and Jets puts the steelers in the playoffs as one of only three scenarios. While this is one scenario, isn't it true 3 losses by ANY of the other 4 9-7 teams and a Steelers win puts them in the playoffs? Am I missing something?

Ed Bouchette: Yes, you are missing my head spinning just reading that. We've printed the three scenarios which come from the NFL, why do people still want to argue with them?

PittFan: "Are you saying the Steelers -- who lost to KC, Oakland and Cleveland, need I remind you -- deserve it more than the Jets?" - yea, but at least none of the Steelers wins came agains't teams that had pulled half their starters in the 3rd quarter

Ed Bouchette: No, but the Browns were missing five starters on defense, lost another during the game and were without Jamal Lewis.

MWoody112: Any status or update on Hines Ward and his gimpy hamstrings?

Ed Bouchette: They are still gimpy. He was here today with ice on both of them.

PeteS.: Ed, you stated Cincy should rest their starters this week. What about momentum heading into the playoffs? It's not like Cincy is rolling over anybody lately.

Ed Bouchette: I think momentum from last regular season game to first playoff game is overrated.

TK: Ed, which Steelers do you think deserves to be in the Pro Bowl this year?

Ed Bouchette: Not many. James Harrison, Heath Miller, maybe Santonio Holmes.

TucsonKen: Whatever happened to integrity in the NFL with the Colts playing their second stringers against a playoff possible Jets team? Seems most of the media has not mentioned that angle.

Ed Bouchette: I think plenty of media has mentioned it. PG Plus, I know, is full of it. You want integrity in the NFL? I will write my solution for Sunday on this matter. Where was the integrity in 2004 when Bill Cowher pulled his starters at Buffalo?

whataretheythinkin: Is it just me, or does it seem ridiculous when Gay and Taylor chest bump for anything, and that stupid wave of the fingers in front of they eyes. It's like "guys you stink right now, lets hold up on the show boating when you get lucky on ONE play"

Ed Bouchette: I'm old school so I hate all that stuff.

mesaSteeler
12-30-2009, 09:48 PM
oddInSyracuse: Have you heard anything about the CBA? Do the players/coaches comment on this at all?

Ed Bouchette: Yeah, that's a minor basketball league. From what I hear, there will be no new CBA in 2010 so there will be an uncapped year. That makes Willie Colon a RFA rather than UFA and it also will mean fewer free agents available.

bg_steel: Ed, In PG+ you wrote about that some Steelers aren't giving it their all. Do you think they'll go all out sunday?

Ed Bouchette: I did not write they weren't giving it their all. I wrote that some mentioned, including Willie Colon, that he think they might have taken some things for granted in those games.

Mwoodym112: Ed, did you give any blood yesterday at the Heinz Field/Steelers blood drive yesterday?

Ed Bouchette: I give enough of it here every Tuesday.

Chad Reilly: Looking back on the year now...Do you think "Camp Cupcake" started the year on the wrong note. Didn't Cower make the same mistake after SB 40?

Ed Bouchette: If that were the case, how did they start 6-2? The toughness of their training camp had nothing to do with their 5-game losing streak.

bdenny29: You don't think Ben's had a Pro Bowl season?

Ed Bouchette: No, not when you only take 3 QBs and you have Matt Schaub leading the conference and Peyton Manning and Philip Rivers and a guy named Brady. I do not think the voters would pick BBR over any of those. I do think Ben has been the team MVP though.

Tprod: Ed, which impending Steeler FA do you expect the Steelers to aggressively resign?

Ed Bouchette: Casey Hampton.

FG: How about a Pittsburgh and Baltimore AFC Championship?

Ed Bouchette: The only way you will see that is if you have a tape of last season's AFC championship.

TucsonKen: What is your prediction for the Steelers? In or out?

Ed Bouchette: Out.

Steely_J: Ed ... even if the Steelers do get into the playoffs, they've shown me nothing that says they can keep it going. Could you please tell everyone that these are NOT the 2005 Steelers?

Ed Bouchette: No, they are not. If the squeeze into them, they likely would open the playoffs at New England and I think that would be a mismatch.

Joey Porter: How much trash will I talk this week to my former team?

Ed Bouchette: Oh, that you were only still here to straighten them out during their 5-game skid.

dimond.rulz: Steelers did beat a Bills team that needed a win for the playoffs in '04 ... any cause for hope?

Ed Bouchette: There always is hope. They needed more in 1989 and did it.

SteelfaninBmore: Who is your favorite from the AFC?

Ed Bouchette: San Diego

Steelerfanindenver: Jets and Texans are favored by 10 and 6/1/2, respectively, over Cincy and NE this week that should give us some idea of who will be playing their starters and what the likelihood of the Steelers getting in is.

Ed Bouchette: That is what I've said. There is little incentive for either team to win. They have to play the first week of the playoffs, so this really is their "bye" week, time to rest some people.

dimond.rulz: Did Caldwell make the right call in your estimation?

Ed Bouchette: Don't be fooled. Their GM, Bill Polian made that call and it created a furor in Indy. Instead of celebrating a wonderful team and year, they have created a distraction. No, I think they made a mistake.

Ed Bouchette: Thanks all. See you next Tuesday if they are in the playoffs or not.