PDA

View Full Version : Blue Moon New Year's Eve Plans

GutterflowerSteel
12-30-2009, 11:02 PM
So what's everybody doing for NYE? It's also the first blue moon since NYE 1990 - the next one isn't until 2028.

Our band is going to jam all night long and have a good time :applaudit: What are you doing?

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/space/12/30/blue.moon/index.html?section=cnn_latest

CNN) -- It happens only once in a blue moon -- and scientists say a blue moon is exactly what we'll see in the skies this New Year's Eve.

Don't expect an azure glow over our lunar satellite, however. The term "blue moon" simply refers to the second full moon in a calendar month, something that hasn't happened on a New Year's Eve for nearly 20 years, NASA says.

"December 1990 ended with a blue moon, and many New Year's Eve parties were themed by the event," said Professor Philip Hisc o c k of the department of folklore at Memorial University of Newfoundland, in Canada. "It was a lot of fun."

Most months have just one full moon, because the 29.5-day cycle of the moon matches up pretty well with the length of calendar months. Occasionally, there will be two full moons in a month, something that happens about every 2 years, NASA says.

But a blue moon on December 31 is rare.

MOON MONIKERS
The Farmers' Almanac lists these Algonquin Indian names for the full moon of each month:

January: Wolf Moon
February: Snow Moon
March: Worm Moon
April: Pink Moon
May: Flower Moon
June: Strawberry Moon
July: Buck Moon
August: Sturgeon Moon
September: Corn Moon
October: Harvest Moon
November: Beaver Moon
December: Cold Moon
Source: www.farmersalmanac.com

* New Year's
* NASA
* Cultural History

Elvis Presley crooned about it when he sang the old Rodgers and Hart song "Blue Moon," in which he stood alone without a dream in his heart or a love of his own.

He struck a more hopeful tone in another tune, singing about his love returning to his arms "When My Blue Moon Turns to Gold Again." He also covered Bill Monroe's bluegrass classic, "Blue Moon of Kentucky."

It is possible for the moon to have a cerulean hue, NASA says, but that's sometimes caused by fine dirt circulating in the Earth's atmosphere or the dark blue tone of the sky.

A blue moon hasn't always meant the second full moon in a month. Hundreds of years ago, it simply meant "never" or "absurd," His**** said.

"The phrase 'blue moon' has been around a long time, well over 400 years, but during that time its meaning has shifted," he said. "I have counted six different meanings which have been carried by the term, and at least four of them are still current today. That makes discussion of the term a little complicated."

When the Indonesian volcano Krakatoa erupted in 1883, it put so much dust in the atmosphere that the moon actually appeared blue -- an event so unusual that the term "once in a blue moon" was coined, according to NASA's National Space Science Data Center. The effect lasted for almost two years, His**** said.

Full moons used to have 12 names, one for each month, such as "harvest moon," NASA said. The term "blue moon" referred to the 13th full moon in a year.

The term acquired its current meaning in the 1940s, after the Farmer's Almanac of Maine offered an astronomical definition of a blue moon "so convoluted that even professional astronomers struggled to understand it," NASA wrote on its Web site.

A writer at Sky and Telescope magazine in the late 1940s tried to explain the almanac's definition by saying it referred to the second full moon in a month.

"That was not correct, but at least it could be understood," NASA wrote. "And thus the modern blue moon was born."

HAPPY NEW YEAR, EVERYONE!

TroysBadDawg
12-31-2009, 12:05 AM
Guess I am baby sitting for the neighbors. Besides New Years Eve is Amatuer Night at the bars and parties.

CantStop85
12-31-2009, 12:57 AM
Hm, I think I might toast to the occasion with a Blue Moon of my own. :tt03:

HometownGal
12-31-2009, 07:07 AM
I was supposed to babysit my grandsons but my daughter and her hubby decided not to go out tonight. I don't do New Years Eve anymore, as I much prefer the safety of my own home when the drunks hit the highways. :thumbsup:

For those going out - have a great time! :drink: :hug:

Galax Steeler
12-31-2009, 07:14 AM
I think I will stay home and have a couple of Beers and bring the new year in.

Gnutella
12-31-2009, 10:02 AM
My New Year's Eve itinerary

- Go to mall and get refund
- Meet friend at Panera Bread for lunch
- Go bowling
- Eat dinner at Shane's Rib Shack
- Play laser tag
- Ring in the new year (decade)
- Go home
- Sleep

Vincent
12-31-2009, 10:41 AM
Guess I am baby sitting for the neighbors. Besides New Years Eve is Amatuer Night at the bars and parties.

NYE is for younger folks. Enjoy the heck out of yourselves you people and land safely. :chuckle:

We'll look forward to the "stories" over the next several days. Pics are welcome.

revefsreleets
12-31-2009, 01:30 PM
I think I will stay home and have a couple of Beers and bring the new year in.

Yup...that's for me too...Happy New Year all!

SteelCityMom
12-31-2009, 03:36 PM
Definitely not going out with the crazies tonight. Had enough of that in the past.

Got a chilled bottle of champagne, some strawberries, some vanilla candles, one sleeping child, a good movie and a lot of snuggling in store for me tonight.

tony hipchest
12-31-2009, 04:31 PM
Hm, I think I might toast to the occasion with a Blue Moon of my own. :tt03:actually, that sounded so good i just picked up a 6 pack of the new winter brew myself. :cheers:

we're going to a family party tonight. beer, patron, jello shots and lots of home cooked mexican food is on the menu. sounds pukealicious!

but unlike christmas eve, im staying away from any posole or menudo this time. having food poisoning last saturday, just the thought of eating intestine makes me wanna yak right now. :puke:

BrandonCarr39
12-31-2009, 07:43 PM
Eh - I plan to sit here at home, and reflect over the last decade and everything that went on.

BTW - it was 10 years ago to this date(either 12/31/99 or 1/1/00) that I was in a PITTSBURGH airport on my way to Ohio, and it was snowed it, so there were hours of delays, so I ended up celebrating the turn of the century New Year's at that airport. Guess what I heard pretty much all day there? Yep - Kordell Stewart jokes. Wow - ALOT has happened over the last decade, eh?

Anyhow - will be sitting here at my home, and maybe watching CNN/FOX all the New Year's celebrations.

Preacher
12-31-2009, 07:59 PM
We're having a bunch of people over at our house...

Pizza, finger foods (Salami and turkey with bread, oil and Parmesan cheese),

dominoes... Wii for the kids...

Skype phonecall from a friend of ours in Bulgaria about 11:00 PM (Set up on the bigscreen).

Then kick everyone out promptly at 12:01! :chuckle:

HometownGal
12-31-2009, 08:05 PM
We're having a bunch of people over at our house...

Pizza, finger foods (Salami and turkey with bread, oil and Parmesan cheese),

dominoes... Wii for the kids...

Skype phonecall from a friend of ours in Bulgaria about 11:00 PM (Set up on the bigscreen).

Then kick everyone out promptly at 12:01! :chuckle:

Your wife should kick you in your hiney for being here on the board instead of entertaining your guests. :buttkick:

For those of you who are Stooge fans, AMC is running a Stooge marathon until midnight. :thumbsup: I've seen each of these probably 500 times and I am sitting here laughing my ass off. :rofl: :toofunny: That is - if you are getting bored with some of the stooges around here. :chuckle: :wink:

Preacher
12-31-2009, 08:13 PM
Your wife should kick you in your hiney for being here on the board instead of entertaining your guests. :buttkick:

For those of you who are Stooge fans, AMC is running a Stooge marathon until midnight. :thumbsup: I've seen each of these probably 500 times and I am sitting here laughing my ass off. :rofl: :toofunny: That is - if you are getting bored with some of the stooges around here. :chuckle: :wink:

Ahhhh, but grasshopper... it is only 6:12 here!!
(I live on the west coast!!)

Guests are coming over in about 20 minutes or so :wink02:

SteelersinCA
12-31-2009, 08:24 PM
actually, that sounded so good i just picked up a 6 pack of the new winter brew myself. :cheers:

we're going to a family party tonight. beer, patron, jello shots and lots of home cooked mexican food is on the menu. sounds pukealicious!

but unlike christmas eve, im staying away from any posole or menudo this time. having food poisoning last saturday, just the thought of eating intestine makes me wanna yak right now. :puke:

MMMMMMMMM full moooooon!

HometownGal
12-31-2009, 08:27 PM
Ahhhh, but grasshopper... it is only 6:12 here!!
(I live on the west coast!!)

Guests are coming over in about 20 minutes or so :wink02:

Ahhhhh, but termite - why aren't you helping your lovely wife get ready for your guests? :wink: :flap:

Godfather
12-31-2009, 09:08 PM
Eh - I plan to sit here at home, and reflect over the last decade and everything that went on.

BTW - it was 10 years ago to this date(either 12/31/99 or 1/1/00) that I was in a PITTSBURGH airport on my way to Ohio, and it was snowed it, so there were hours of delays, so I ended up celebrating the turn of the century New Year's at that airport. Guess what I heard pretty much all day there? Yep - Kordell Stewart jokes. Wow - ALOT has happened over the last decade, eh?

Anyhow - will be sitting here at my home, and maybe watching CNN/FOX all the New Year's celebrations.

That was the last time I went out for NYE. A couple of my friends from college invited everyone over.

We were watching everyone around the world ring in Y2K and saying "You just KNOW New Orleans is going to be the first place to screw this up."

I was surprised the lights stayed on. Entergy is notoriously incompetent. As in 100 times worse than Duquesne Light.

stillers4me
12-31-2009, 09:24 PM
A blue moon? That explains all the crazy people we had in the office this week. We got all the nut jobs.

hindes204
12-31-2009, 09:27 PM
Taking my lovely wife out to a late dinner, and then probably heading home and watching Dick Clark bring in the new year

Hmmmmm........I could go to preachers house and crash his party, im only abt 20 mins away :chuckle:

X-Terminator
12-31-2009, 11:33 PM
I'm doing what I always do for New Year's Eve...sitting at home. Let the drunken amateurs have their night - I don't want to deal with them, especially not on the roads. The only time I've gone out on New Year's Eve in the past 15 years was when I went to the first NHL Winter Classic in Buffalo 3 years ago, and my buddies and I went to Buffalo's version of First Night. Other than that, fuhgheddaboudit. Besides, the Stooges are on! (thanks for the heads-up, HTG!)

devilsdancefloor
12-31-2009, 11:45 PM
My mom learned how to speak english watching TV and watching A LOT of Stooges. love the stooges knuckleheads!

Preacher
01-01-2010, 04:44 AM
Ahhhhh, but termite - why aren't you helping your lovely wife get ready for your guests? :wink: :flap:

LOL . . .

Because staying out of my wife's way until told what to do is best way to keep peace in house! :wink02:

Preacher
01-01-2010, 04:45 AM
Taking my lovely wife out to a late dinner, and then probably heading home and watching Dick Clark bring in the new year

Hmmmmm........I could go to preachers house and crash his party, im only abt 20 mins away :chuckle:

Shame I didn't see this earlier, I would have said, "Come on!"

We ended up having WAY more than enough food.

HometownGal
01-01-2010, 08:05 AM
My mom learned how to speak english watching TV and watching A LOT of Stooges. love the stooges knuckleheads!

Moe, Larry cheese! Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk. :chuckle:

I love those guys and wish they were on the tube on a regular basis.

So - how many of you woke up feeling like you've been beaten down with a 2 x 4? :chuckle:

Vincent
01-01-2010, 01:04 PM
...and watching Dick Clark bring in the new year

"They" made me stay up for this. WTF happened to poor old Dick? Seriously.

Fire Haley
01-01-2010, 01:06 PM
WTF happened to poor old Dick? Seriously.

Holy crap! I saw a piece of that.

Dick looked like he's been dead for 10 years then dug up. Stroke?

HometownGal
01-01-2010, 07:45 PM
Dick looked like he's been dead for 10 years then dug up. Stroke?

Yep - Dick Clark had a stroke in 2004 and really hasn't looked well the last couple of times I've seen him on TV.