PDA

View Full Version : Reasons Seattle will win are curious....

ColoradoSteelerFan
01-30-2006, 05:39 PM
Howdy all. My first post. Been around here reading the posts for a few weeks and just thought it was time to drop in. Should be a fun week as we prepare to watch our Steelers play in the Super Bowl for the first time in a decade!

Having been checking out several boards recently, I have found it funny to read the reasons Seattle fans think the Seahawks will win. They have a better record....they were a #1 seed....they have a better running back.....etc. Surely they have to have something more to fall back on that this!

FACT: Pittsburgh lost 5 games while Seattle lost 3. BUT...only 2 with Ben healthy. Maddox lost 2 and they lost to Indy after Ben returned from 4 games off. If Ben were healthy, Steelers beat Jacksonville and Baltimore, finish 13-3, win the north and are probably the #2 seed.

FACT: Steelers ended the season with the 5th ranked Strength of Schedule. Seattle finished with the 30th ranked SOS. Only the Bears and Packers faced teams with fewer wins. Seattle has not beaten a team with a winning record since Nov. 27 (gotta subtract the Colts since they rested most of their team)

FACT: Steelers beat the #1, #2 and #3 seeds....on the road. Seattle beat the #5 and #6 seeds....at home. The Seahawks have not played a team as good as the Steelers all year. The Steelers have beaten two teams in the past two weeks who are arguably both better than the Seahawks.

FACT: Seattle has one victory against a team that went on to win its division. (Colts don't count. They rested most of their starters). Steelers have beaten 3 in the past 3 weeks...and have 5 wins this season against teams who would win their division.

FACT: Shaun Alexander has 40 post season carries.....23 for no game or loss. Now he faces one of the NFL's most overpowering run defenses.

FACT: Steelers have held its last 3 opponets to WELL below their rushing averages. Cincy averaged 119.4 for the year. They got 84 vs. Pitts. Colts averaged 106.4 for the year. They got 58 vs. Pitt. Broncos entered the game with the 2nd ranked rushing offense in the NFL with 158.7 for year. They got 97.

FACT: Steelers have not allowed more than 105 yards rushing in any of its past 7 games....and are allowing only 76.5 yards/game during this 7-0 win streak.

Seattle is a good team, no doubt. But if you want to predict a victory, try doing it with logical facts that are not so easily picked apart!

Seattle has 4 sacks over its past 2 games. Steelers have 12 over its past three. The Steelers front 7 are a much more imposing group. The Seahawks have gone 15-32 on 3rd down conversions over the past 2 games. The key to Seattle's success during the playoffs has been the ability to keep the opponents from converting 3rd downs. Washington and Carolina went a combined 6 for 28. The Steelers have converted 22 of its 41 3rd down conversions. The problem for Seattle is that the Steelers will convert 3rd downs. They have done it regularly during this 7-0 win streak. If Seattle cannot hold the Steelers to 30% or so on 3rd downs (and they don't have the secondary to do this), then they are in a world of trouble. There are FAR more reasons to why the Steelers should win this game than there are why the Seahawks should.

At any rate....glad to be around here.....and here's to winning one for the thumb!

Steelers 31 Seahawks 20

Suitanim
01-30-2006, 05:43 PM
NICE post...here's some more facts and figures.

* Of the top 6 tacklers for the Seahawks, 4 of them are defensive backs.
* Only two defensive linemen are in the top 11 in tackles.
* Only backup DT Marcus Tubbs is over 300 pounds.
* The Hawks starting front four are Grant Winstrom (272 pounds), Rocky Bernard (293 pounds), Chartric Darby (270 pounds), and Bryce Fisher (268 pounds).
* Tatapu is thier defensive stud, but he is 5'11"-238 pounds.
* Kevin Bentley is their thickest LB at 6'-245.
* While their run defense only gives up 3.6 YPC, here are some of the offenses they faced: Ari (2), Houston (1), Atl (1), San Fran (2), Philly (1), Tenn (1), Indy (1-sitting people), GB (1). In 10 games, these teams either lacked a running game or chose to throw.
* The other 6 games had backs run for: Tiki Barber (26-151), Steven Jackson (17-70 & 17-77), Marion Barber (22-95), Clinton Portis (25-90), and Fred Taylor (20-76).
* In the playoffs, Carolina lacked a running game and Seattle gameplanned to stop Portis and make Brunell beat them.
* At safety, they have former college linebacker Boulware playing strong safety and Marquand Manuel, the former Bengal, at free safety.
* Marcus Trufant and Andre Dyson play corner, but Boulware leads the team in INTs with 4. Trufant and Dyson have 1 all season.
* The Seahawks defense allows more passing yards than their offense gets.

TexaSteeler
01-30-2006, 05:43 PM
Ok, I'll buy that.

tony hipchest
01-30-2006, 05:44 PM
good facts. seattle fans are breaking out their smack and the steelerfans are breaking out stats and facts. if seattle is relying on the no respect card to get them through they are in for a rude awakenning. if that really worked the cardinals and bengals would be in the sb every year.

to piggy back offa one of suits stats: average steeler lineman =311 lbs
average seahawk d lineman= 280lbs

giving up 31 lbs/person

whoa!

SteelCityMan786
01-30-2006, 05:45 PM
Well Thought Out. To The Point. How About Some Points. Colorado And Suit Both.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-30-2006, 05:46 PM
Great thoughts from all of you... Nice job !

That being said, they're gonna come out fighting with all they got, so we have to be ready.

Suitanim
01-30-2006, 05:53 PM
Hey, I never said Seattle wasn't a quality opponent. It's not easy to win 15 games in a season, even with a weak schedule in a weaker conference. But I do have them ranked as the the #3 team power-wise that we have faced, and we beat #1, #2 and #4 fairly convincingly (The Colts game with even HS quality refs was a 28-10 Steelers win).

Can the Seattle Seahawks win the Super Bowl? Of course! Will they? I doubt it...something tells me many, if not most of their players are just happy to be in the big game. But, you know, hey, I was wrong about two of the ten playoff games so far, so my .800 winning percentage isn't perfect.

As for a prediction, I'm standing firm on a 30-20 Steelers win. We're averaging a litle less than 30 against better defenses than Seattle, so 30 minimum.

ColoradoSteelerFan
01-30-2006, 05:58 PM
Well Thought Out. To The Point. How About Some Points. Colorado And Suit Both.

Muchas gracias!

I am sick of hearing this crap from Seattle fans. I cannot for the life of me believe they are talking smack! They have a nice team that has had a nice run, but come on!

....but so did the Bengals......DONE.
....and the Colts (remember 13-0?)......DONE.
....and the Broncos (14-3).........DONE.

Seattle beat a Redskins team that really shouldn't have been in the playoffs and a Carolina team that had been playing way above their heads for a long time....and they got to do it all at home. Pittsburgh has team that appears to have defied the odds stacked against them. Seattle has benefitted from a weak schedule and a weeker conference. The Steelers went through a MUCH more difficult AFC, with a much more difficult schedule and did it on the road.

Cape Cod Steel Head
01-30-2006, 06:06 PM
Howdy all. My first post. Been around here reading the posts for a few weeks and just thought it was time to drop in. Should be a fun week as we prepare to watch our Steelers play in the Super Bowl for the first time in a decade!

Having been checking out several boards recently, I have found it funny to read the reasons Seattle fans think the Seahawks will win. They have a better record....they were a #1 seed....they have a better running back.....etc. Surely they have to have something more to fall back on that this!

FACT: Pittsburgh lost 5 games while Seattle lost 3. BUT...only 2 with Ben healthy. Maddox lost 2 and they lost to Indy after Ben returned from 4 games off. If Ben were healthy, Steelers beat Jacksonville and Baltimore, finish 13-3, win the north and are probably the #2 seed.

FACT: Steelers ended the season with the 5th ranked Strength of Schedule. Seattle finished with the 30th ranked SOS. Only the Bears and Packers faced teams with fewer wins. Seattle has not beaten a team with a winning record since Nov. 27 (gotta subtract the Colts since they rested most of their team)

FACT: Steelers beat the #1, #2 and #3 seeds....on the road. Seattle beat the #5 and #6 seeds....at home. The Seahawks have not played a team as good as the Steelers all year. The Steelers have beaten two teams in the past two weeks who are arguably both better than the Seahawks.

FACT: Seattle has one victory against a team that went on to win its division. (Colts don't count. They rested most of their starters). Steelers have beaten 3 in the past 3 weeks...and have 5 wins this season against teams who would win their division.

FACT: Shaun Alexander has 40 post season carries.....23 for no game or loss. Now he faces one of the NFL's most overpowering run defenses.

FACT: Steelers have held its last 3 opponets to WELL below their rushing averages. Cincy averaged 119.4 for the year. They got 84 vs. Pitts. Colts averaged 106.4 for the year. They got 58 vs. Pitt. Broncos entered the game with the 2nd ranked rushing offense in the NFL with 158.7 for year. They got 97.

FACT: Steelers have not allowed more than 105 yards rushing in any of its past 7 games....and are allowing only 76.5 yards/game during this 7-0 win streak.

Seattle is a good team, no doubt. But if you want to predict a victory, try doing it with logical facts that are not so easily picked apart!

Seattle has 4 sacks over its past 2 games. Steelers have 12 over its past three. The Steelers front 7 are a much more imposing group. The Seahawks have gone 15-32 on 3rd down conversions over the past 2 games. The key to Seattle's success during the playoffs has been the ability to keep the opponents from converting 3rd downs. Washington and Carolina went a combined 6 for 28. The Steelers have converted 22 of its 41 3rd down conversions. The problem for Seattle is that the Steelers will convert 3rd downs. They have done it regularly during this 7-0 win streak. If Seattle cannot hold the Steelers to 30% or so on 3rd downs (and they don't have the secondary to do this), then they are in a world of trouble. There are FAR more reasons to why the Steelers should win this game than there are why the Seahawks should.

At any rate....glad to be around here.....and here's to winning one for the thumb!

Steelers 31 Seahawks 20Nice post! I notice there haven't been any Seahag rebuttals yet.

SteelCityMan786
01-30-2006, 06:09 PM
Muchas gracias!

I am sick of hearing this crap from Seattle fans. I cannot for the life of me believe they are talking smack! They have a nice team that has had a nice run, but come on!

....but so did the Bengals......DONE.
....and the Colts (remember 13-0?)......DONE.
....and the Broncos (14-3).........DONE.

Seattle beat a Redskins team that really shouldn't have been in the playoffs and a Carolina team that had been playing way above their heads for a long time....and they got to do it all at home. Pittsburgh has team that appears to have defied the odds stacked against them. Seattle has benefitted from a weak schedule and a weeker conference. The Steelers went through a MUCH more difficult AFC, with a much more difficult schedule and did it on the road.

This is a case too add more points. Bengals, Colts, Broncos. DONE. They All Kicked The Bucket on there 2005-2006 Season When The Steelers Knocked off in there house.

NMHawkFan
01-30-2006, 06:11 PM
Facts and stats are fine and people will generally quote them until they are blue in the face. I have no doubt the Steelers will come out rolling for the win...however, so will the Seahawks. Fans on both sides are convinced of their respective teams' victory and that too is great. Anything can happen in the Superbowl!!!!! It's almost the same ordeal as the Patriots vs. Rams SB where all the stats and facts proved on paper that the Rams were the better team and we all know what happened there. For example.....Steelers lost to the Bengals at home when Ben tossed 3 INT's...but then you guys spank the Bengals bad at their house in the playoffs. Point is, stats and facts are fine but warfare is fought in the trenches and this weekend is hopefully a tight fought SB with no injuries and solid gameplans.

Hat off to the Steelers for an amazing run and good luck this weekend!

GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ColoradoSteelerFan
01-30-2006, 06:15 PM
Nice post! I notice there haven't been any Seahag rebuttals yet.

Thanks!

I don't know what rebuttals there could possibly be. Seattle is a very good team, but the Steelers have played many very good teams this year. They beat Chicago when Chicago was on a 6 game win streak....then followed that up by going on the road to beat Minnesota when the Vikings had won 6 in a row.....then went on the road to take out the 3 top seeds in the AFC.

Seattle has a nice QB....but certainly no better than Ben.

Seattle has a very good running game....but Alexander has not shown much in the playoffs so far.

Seattle's defense is certainly inferior to the Steelers.

There just isn't much to point to for Seattle where one can say, "See, this is where Seattle has the decided edge." They might win. I will grant them this. But to talk smack is just silly. It makes the person talking that smack look a tid bit mentally challenged.

Pittsburgh is riding high....and will win this game. 31-20.

NMHawkFan
01-30-2006, 06:24 PM
I will give the Steelers the edge on defense considering ours has not played the 3 teams you guys played in the playoffs. Stopping Washington was certainly a joke and Carolina was so one-dimensional all we had to do was shut down Smith and it was over. I do think that Seattle's defense is better than some people think. Chicago and the Giants both tried to shut down Smith and they failed miserably where Seattle blanked him.

I give the edge to Seattle on offense. During the playoffs everyone talked about how the Steelers defense shut down the Bengals, Colts and Broncos (which they did and I am not the type that lays fault on Palmer getting hurt was the reason). But at the same time they all kept talking about how tough the Redskin defense was and how hard the Panthers will hit us. Fact is, our o-line totally dominated both of those "high powered" defenses. We lost Alexander in the Redskin game and Hasselbeck took over and picked the Redskins apart proving we are not completely relying on Shaun to win it for us. Carolina had the big bad Peppers and the Lucas nightmare in the secondary and we again, destroyed them. No matter how bad Carolina's offense was...our offense still moved the ball at will against their defense.

Anyway, just some "friendly" conversation with this week's ENEMY, lol!!!!!!!!!!

NMHawkFan
01-30-2006, 06:27 PM
Seattle has a very good running game....but Alexander has not shown much in the playoffs so far.

Well we cannot count the first game since he was out in the beginning but the game against Carolina he had 132 yards rushing and 2 touchdowns.....not exactly something to sneeze at.

seahawksfan
01-30-2006, 06:38 PM
good facts. seattle fans are breaking out their smack and the steelerfans are breaking out stats and facts. if seattle is relying on the no respect card to get them through they are in for a rude awakenning. if that really worked the cardinals and bengals would be in the sb every year.

to piggy back offa one of suits stats: average steeler lineman =311 lbs
average seahawk d lineman= 280lbs

giving up 31 lbs/person

whoa!

Whoa. :blah: :blah: :blah: Facts don't win games. Heart, determination and a burning desire to win; that's why the Seahawks have dumped you nay sayers along the wayside on their way to the SB. Believe me, your Steelers aren't taking the Seahawks for granted. Both Bettis and Hines on NFL.com today said as much. Cowler, too. The guys who know, the guys who will put all out on the field, will determine the outcome. Statistics do nothing except work within a computer to predict behavior.

So, if it feels good to bring out statistics card keep feeling good because come Sunday you wont have anything left to take the sting off a SB defeat. Unless, of course, it's to make excuses for why the Seahawks triumphed.

tony hipchest
01-30-2006, 06:39 PM
in the past 2 years pittsburgh has had the best d. last year by numbers, this year by results. if you average it out the steelers were pretty much on top for 2 years. the steelers offense practices against this every day and even they admit it has helped them become a more efficient unit. carolina and washington are good, just not as good as the steelers. this steelers team is battle tested, where as the seahawks d has flown under the radar and been overshadowed bu a great offense. an offense the steelers are built to shut down.

tony hipchest
01-30-2006, 06:41 PM
Whoa. :blah: :blah: :blah: Facts don't win games. Heart, determination and a burning desire to win; that's why the Seahawks have dumped you nay sayers along the wayside on their way to the SB. Believe me, your Steelers aren't taking the Seahawks for granted. Both Bettis and Hines on NFL.com today said as much. Cowler, too. The guys who know, the guys who will put all out on the field, will determine the outcome.

why do you think alot of steelerfans are so confident? its not because of stats, its the very same intangibles you mentionned.

advantage steelers.

seahawksfan
01-30-2006, 06:42 PM
I will give the Steelers the edge on defense considering ours has not played the 3 teams you guys played in the playoffs. Stopping Washington was certainly a joke and Carolina was so one-dimensional all we had to do was shut down Smith and it was over. I do think that Seattle's defense is better than some people think. Chicago and the Giants both tried to shut down Smith and they failed miserably where Seattle blanked him.

I give the edge to Seattle on offense. During the playoffs everyone talked about how the Steelers defense shut down the Bengals, Colts and Broncos (which they did and I am not the type that lays fault on Palmer getting hurt was the reason). But at the same time they all kept talking about how tough the Redskin defense was and how hard the Panthers will hit us. Fact is, our o-line totally dominated both of those "high powered" defenses. We lost Alexander in the Redskin game and Hasselbeck took over and picked the Redskins apart proving we are not completely relying on Shaun to win it for us. Carolina had the big bad Peppers and the Lucas nightmare in the secondary and we again, destroyed them. No matter how bad Carolina's offense was...our offense still moved the ball at will against their defense.

Anyway, just some "friendly" conversation with this week's ENEMY, lol!!!!!!!!!!

The Steelers will be the toughest defense we've faced this year. We did have 3-4 experience 4x this past year (49'ers x 2, Texans, Cowboys). Granted, the Steeler D has a higher caliber player than these teams. So, the Seahawk defense bends, doesn't break. The offense has to bring a balanced attack. Do it well. Do it better than The Steelers offense. Minimize mistakes. Special teams play keeps the big play from breaking out.

seahawksfan
01-30-2006, 06:46 PM
in the past 2 years pittsburgh has had the best d. last year by numbers, this year by results. if you average it out the steelers were pretty much on top for 2 years. the steelers offense practices against this every day and even they admit it has helped them become a more efficient unit. carolina and washington are good, just not as good as the steelers. this steelers team is battle tested, where as the seahawks d has flown under the radar and been overshadowed bu a great offense. an offense the steelers are built to shut down.

An "under the radar" defense is why Steeler fans don't understand what is coming. I like this match up for so many reasons...two great teams, coaches from both sides have ties from the past, our defense, your resurgence over the later half of the season, Bettis back home...then the passion of this board.

I love this game!

ZornToLargent
01-30-2006, 06:48 PM

Steelers 31 Seahawks 20
Yeah, stats shmats. What stats will you use after the butt whooping the Seahawks are gonna give your Steelers on Sunday?

When are you Steelers gonna realize that the score is 0-0, nothing to nothing and all the marbles are at stake. If you keep hanging on to the past with your stats. If you think because this is our break out year with nothing in the past to look at or reference, this gives your team the benefit...well, that is the way we like it. If you think our strength of schedule is indicative of our team?.that?s awesome! That will make the butt whooping against the Steelers that easier because we will catch your guys sleeping. You Steelers fans hold on tight to this false hope and sense of security. After your team is watching Hasselbeck and Holmgren accepting the Lombardi trophy, past stats will be all you have left....and the wonder of where it all went so wrong.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-30-2006, 06:55 PM
Dude, you really need to try and stop making yourself feel better with posts like that :rofl:

There is not a player in our locker room or coach or trainer for that matter that believes this game isnt anything but 0-0..and nothing is won yet. We are carrying that same mentality of us against the world right through sunday without missing a beat.

And far as us Steeler fans hanging on past accomplishments.. i hardly think so.. sure we've had alot of success in Cowher's tenure, but no SB rings, and this is what its all about. Stats be damned, we're coming to get ya and win the Super Bowl :tt:

Suitanim
01-30-2006, 06:57 PM
The Steelers will be the toughest defense we've faced this year. We did have 3-4 experience 4x this past year (49'ers x 2, Texans, Cowboys). Granted, the Steeler D has a higher caliber player than these teams. So, the Seahawk defense bends, doesn't break. The offense has to bring a balanced attack. Do it well. Do it better than The Steelers offense. Minimize mistakes. Special teams play keeps the big play from breaking out.

Now you are starting to see the light. Gameplan well and hope your offense plays flawlesly against the best D they've faced all year. But, that's only half the equation...you must also figure out how to make YOUR bend don't break defense actually not break. Cincy's D was reminiscent of Seattle's, and they broke. Indy's was slightly better, and they broke. Denver's was even better, and, well...Special teams can be a killer, too. Being in a dome means you won't get the free pass 37 yardline starting field position Jeff Reed usually allows in the outdoors. ARE can KILL you with one run.

Good team...but just good. As the game approaches, I honestly feel like the Steelers are truly a team of destiny this year. It's not a bad draw for the Hawks. They get some big-time exposure, pick up some bandwagoners, sell some merchandise and make that big blip on the radar. They are good enough to make a game out of it, too.

ZornToLargent
01-30-2006, 07:01 PM
Dude, you really need to try and stop making yourself feel better with posts like that :rofl:

There is not a player in our locker room or coach or trainer for that matter that believes this game isnt anything but 0-0..and nothing is won yet. We are carrying that same mentality of us against the world right through sunday without missing a beat.

And far as us Steeler fans hanging on past accomplishments.. i hardly think so.. sure we've had alot of success in Cowher's tenure, but no SB rings, and this is what its all about. Stats be damned, we're coming to get ya and win the Super Bowl :tt:
And you need to stop coddling yourself with posts like this. :blah: :blah: :blah:

Seattle is on one....your team better get out of the way. It will be a fight to the end.

If anyone has an "us against the world" mentality and reason for it, it's the 'Hawks. We have been dissed (and I understand why) for 30 years. It is time to rectify that, and that time is this Sunday. Sorry, but the Steelers are not against the world, the world is on your side this time. Y'all are the favorites. Believe me, it's the Seahawks against the world, not the Steelers.

ColoradoSteelerFan
01-30-2006, 07:02 PM
Well we cannot count the first game since he was out in the beginning but the game against Carolina he had 132 yards rushing and 2 touchdowns.....not exactly something to sneeze at.

Alexander averaged 5.1 yards per carry for the regular season. He is averaging 3.2 per/carry on the 40 carries he's had in the playoffs. 23 of his 40 carries have been for a loss or no gain. Now, he faces arguably the best run defense in the NFL. I don't think you'll see Alexander hit the century mark unless he rips off a 40 yarder on a single play.

Alexander and the Seattle O-line are both very good. However, the Steeler front 7 have been playing lights out for the past 7 games. 12 sacks over the past 3 games. The Broncos had the NFL's 2nd ranked rush offense and arguable one of the best O-lines in the game. The Steelers embarassed them on their own field. The question is not IF Farrior, Haggans and Porter will get to Hasselback....its how many times. The real question is can the Seattle defense stop the Steeler running game and get to Roethlisberger. They lead the NFL in sacks, but have only 4 to show for their efforts over the past 2 games. If you cannot sack Roeth, things will get ugly. Roethlisberger has thrived under pressure since returning from his injury. Pressure will not be enough.

seahawksfan
01-30-2006, 07:05 PM
Now you are starting to see the light. Gameplan well and hope your offense plays flawlesly against the best D they've faced all year. But, that's only half the equation...you must also figure out how to make YOUR bend don't break defense actually not break. Cincy's D was reminiscent of Seattle's, and they broke. Indy's was slightly better, and they broke. Denver's was even better, and, well...Special teams can be a killer, too. Being in a dome means you won't get the free pass 37 yardline starting field position Jeff Reed usually allows in the outdoors. ARE can KILL you with one run.

Good team...but just good. As the game approaches, I honestly feel like the Steelers are truly a team of destiny this year. It's not a bad draw for the Hawks. They get some big-time exposure, pick up some bandwagoners, sell some merchandise and make that big blip on the radar. They are good enough to make a game out of it, too.

Just being a "good" team will make the agony of the Steeler lose that much more painful. :cool:

ZornToLargent
01-30-2006, 07:05 PM

That is so weird, because the closer the game gets, we too feel like we are the team of destiny....and personally I can't wait to hear the excuses of why we won the game. It will be anything but credit to the Seahawks. The Steelers have not faced an offensive line or QB up to the caliber of the Seahawks yet this year either.....if you think you have, you have another thing coming this Sunday. Your QB will have to figure out a way to get into the end zone. We have the best red zone D in the league. And our QB is outstanding in the red zone too...there is no rattling Hasselbeck this year. Good luck trying.

ColoradoSteelerFan
01-30-2006, 07:09 PM
Whoa. :blah: :blah: :blah: Facts don't win games. Heart, determination and a burning desire to win; that's why the Seahawks have dumped you nay sayers along the wayside on their way to the SB. Believe me, your Steelers aren't taking the Seahawks for granted. Both Bettis and Hines on NFL.com today said as much. Cowler, too. The guys who know, the guys who will put all out on the field, will determine the outcome. Statistics do nothing except work within a computer to predict behavior.

So, if it feels good to bring out statistics card keep feeling good because come Sunday you wont have anything left to take the sting off a SB defeat. Unless, of course, it's to make excuses for why the Seahawks triumphed.

Question: Who do you think the rest of America....those who do not have an team in this game....think has the "heart" factor on their side going into this game....Seattle or Pittsburgh?

Seattle....beat the #5 and #6 at home?

Pittsburgh.....beat the #1, #2 and #3 on the road?

Then throw in the Bettis factor and Roethlisberger's promise to get him to the Super Bowl. And throw in the fact that Detroit has become Pittsburgh and the Super Bowl crowd will partisan Steelers.

Not saying Seattle doesn't have heart....just that Pittsburgh's is overflowing right now. I wouldn't want to be facing the Steelers right now. As Mike Ditka stated....this team just smells like destiny.

HburgXL06
01-30-2006, 07:20 PM
Seahawks fans....cmon don't play on us Steelers fans for puttin up stats and tell us it's all bout heart and blahblah. You guys have put up just as many stats of your own to make a case. Stats can be twisted any which way to make any team seem stronger and more dominant and you are right that stats don't affect actual behavior on da field. But if you want to talk about heart look at this Steelers team. I have never in my short life seen any team that has been so united and devoted to each other, their coach, and their city. In the Super Bowl both teams could be considered da rookies for different reasons but it comes to a team that has been workin their way towards this game for several years perfectin their play it comes out to da Steelers. Good for da seahawks for gettin this far. I was shocked at seein them come this far. My first thought when seein them play this year was "Da seahawks? When da f**k did they get good?" So respect for comin this far but we comin to bring some hurt. Just ask Peyton or Plummer if they are still sore. Good luck.

BuFu

ColoradoSteelerFan
01-30-2006, 07:21 PM
That is so weird, because the closer the game gets, we too feel like we are the team of destiny....and personally I can't wait to hear the excuses of why we won the game. It will be anything but credit to the Seahawks. The Steelers have not faced an offensive line or QB up to the caliber of the Seahawks yet this year either.....if you think you have, you have another thing coming this Sunday. Your QB will have to figure out a way to get into the end zone. We have the best red zone D in the league. And our QB is outstanding in the red zone too...there is no rattling Hasselbeck this year. Good luck trying.

Oh please. The Denver Broncos had one of the very best O-lines coming to that game....and they were eaten up. Seattle averaged 153.6 yards per game rushing this year....Denver averaged 158.7. Since Denver has Mike Anderson who was NOT MVP, we must conclude that Denver's O-line had MORE of an effect on their rushing game than did Seattle's. Therefore your statement that the Steelers have not faced an offensive line up to the caliber of the Seahawks yet this year is simply wrong. In fact, since the Steelers beat both Carson Palmer AND Peyton Manning....BOTH on the road, your assertion that the Steelers have not faced a QB up to the caliber of the Seahawks is also painfully incorrect.

You seem to believe that Seattle's redzone defense will somehow keep the Steelers out of the endzone. Problem is, Seattle's secondary has been mediocre all year. Seattle's defense finished the year ranked 17th in total defense and 25th in pass defense. Since they lead the league in sacks, this should be a troubling number for Seattle fans. Roethlisberger has shown over the past 3 games that the passing game has evolved for Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh's pass defense is so much improved over the first half of the season. A majority of their 12 sacks over the past 3 games must be credited as cover sacks. QB's have just not found open receivers and have ended up on their backsides as a result. The Steelers have allowed only 15 passing TD's all year. Therefore, the real question should be will Hasselback find the endzone at all.

How is Seattle shown its a team of destiny? What in the world makes you say this?

Suitanim
01-30-2006, 07:22 PM
Yes, the Seahawks are a team of destiny as well. They are destined to lose their first Super Bowl appearance.

Da'Burgh
01-30-2006, 07:26 PM
HERE'S A STAT...

DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!

Hawk Believer
01-30-2006, 07:41 PM
Fact: The better team will win on Sunday.

Suitanim
01-30-2006, 07:42 PM
Fact: The better team will win on Sunday.

That doesn't bode so well for you...don't you have something else we can debate?

ZornToLargent
01-30-2006, 07:43 PM
Oh please. The Denver Broncos had one of the very best O-lines coming to that game....and they were eaten up. Seattle averaged 153.6 yards per game rushing this year....Denver averaged 158.7. Since Denver has Mike Anderson who was NOT MVP, we must conclude that Denver's O-line had MORE of an effect on their rushing game than did Seattle's. Therefore your statement that the Steelers have not faced an offensive line up to the caliber of the Seahawks yet this year is simply wrong. In fact, since the Steelers beat both Carson Palmer AND Peyton Manning....BOTH on the road, your assertion that the Steelers have not faced a QB up to the caliber of the Seahawks is also painfully incorrect.

You seem to believe that Seattle's redzone defense will somehow keep the Steelers out of the endzone. Problem is, Seattle's secondary has been mediocre all year. Seattle's defense finished the year ranked 17th in total defense and 25th in pass defense. Since they lead the league in sacks, this should be a troubling number for Seattle fans. Roethlisberger has shown over the past 3 games that the passing game has evolved for Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh's pass defense is so much improved over the first half of the season. A majority of their 12 sacks over the past 3 games must be credited as cover sacks. QB's have just not found open receivers and have ended up on their backsides as a result. The Steelers have allowed only 15 passing TD's all year. Therefore, the real question should be will Hasselback find the endzone at all.

How is Seattle shown its a team of destiny? What in the world makes you say this?
Denver phoned that one in. They simply didn't have their "A" game on the field. Trust me, that will not be the case with Seattle. Our game just keeps getting better week after week. Hasselbeck will be all over that endzone...

Beating all odds against us from day one this season, winning our confrence when nobody expected us to...you bet we're the team of destiny. We are a dynasty in the making. You'll be watching us for years to come.

ZornToLargent
01-30-2006, 07:51 PM
I have never in my short life seen any team that has been so united and devoted to each other, their coach, and their city.
That is the perfect description of the Seahawks.

In the Super Bowl both teams could be considered da rookies for different reasons but it comes to a team that has been workin their way towards this game for several years perfectin their play it comes out to da Steelers.
Several years? Are you sure about that since this is your QB's 2nd year in the league. The 'Hawks have kept the same team for several years and too have been just as hard working towards this.

Good for da seahawks for gettin this far. I was shocked at seein them come this far. My first thought when seein them play this year was "Da seahawks? When da f**k did they get good?"
Exactly, you have no idea about the Seahawks. This will be a great game!!!

So respect for comin this far but we comin to bring some hurt. Just ask Peyton or Plummer if they are still sore. Good luck.
Peyton Manning and Jake Plummer are lovers. Hasselbeck is a better QB than both of those guys. You'll find out more on Sunday. Will this be the first or 2nd Seahawks game you have seen?

Suitanim
01-30-2006, 07:52 PM
Denver phoned that one in. They simply didn't have their "A" game on the field. Trust me, that will not be the case with Seattle. Our game just keeps getting better week after week. Hasselbeck will be all over that endzone...

Beating all odds against us from day one this season, winning our confrence when nobody expected us to...you bet we're the team of destiny. We are a dynasty in the making. You'll be watching us for years to come.

Uh-huh...well, that being said, I have nothing else for you, other than make sure you come back talking Dynasty and such Monday...

ColoradoSteelerFan
01-30-2006, 08:18 PM

Good grief! What horrible logic!

So.....they "phoned" it in, huh? So, I guess that means the Colts did as well....and of course, that would have to be the case with Cincy, too. Oh, wait...it was Carson Palmer's injury.

...of course, the Redskins played the "A" game....as did the Panthers. Not having DeShaun Foster had nothing to do with them being completely one-dimensional. Right?

The Steelers completely throttled the Bengals for 3 quarters and won easily. They completely throttled the Colts for 3 quarters and had the game made close by the wrong call on the INT. They completely throttled Denver for 3 quarters before simply coasting to the 17 point win. See, a team not bringing their "A" game has a lot to do with the other team not allowing the "A" game.

I can see what I'm dealing with here.....no chance on locking onto any "facts" so we just make stuff up.

....great.....:rolleyes:

ZornToLargent
01-30-2006, 08:24 PM
I can see what I'm dealing with here.....no chance on locking onto any "facts" so we just make stuff up.

....great.....:rolleyes:
Dude, lighten up. All the fact that even remotely matter will come after teh game on Sunday. I am just bored and incredibly excited about the upcoming game. Yes, I am incredibly confident in my 'Hawks, and you are with your Steelers...and we both do it rightfully so. This will be one helluva a great game....and eFF Off the rest of the world who thinks this SB will be boring becasue we are two small market teams.....Eff all that! Just to piss off the rest of the world...i am hoping for a Steelers/Seahawks SB for a few more years in a row.

ColoradoSteelerFan
01-30-2006, 08:37 PM
Dude, lighten up. All the fact that even remotely matter will come after teh game on Sunday. I am just bored and incredibly excited about the upcoming game. Yes, I am incredibly confident in my 'Hawks, and you are with your Steelers...and we both do it rightfully so. This will be one helluva a great game....and eFF Off the rest of the world who thinks this SB will be boring becasue we are two small market teams.....Eff all that! Just to piss off the rest of the world...i am hoping for a Steelers/Seahawks SB for a few more years in a row.

I can agree with you on this.

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-30-2006, 08:40 PM
The STEELERS will be back to the playoffs again.. I just hope your hawks can recover from the beating that's about to be put on them!!

shevdog
01-30-2006, 08:43 PM

Steelers 31 Seahawks 20

Good info you put together. Do the Seahawks have what it takes to beat the Steelers? Only if the Steelers make mistakes. If the Steelers stick with their gameplan and minimize mistakes and turnovers, then "one for the thumb" is finally here!

HburgXL06
01-30-2006, 08:46 PM
Peyton Manning and Jake Plummer are lovers. Hasselbeck is a better QB than both of those guys. You'll find out more on Sunday. Will this be the first or 2nd Seahawks game you have seen?[/QUOTE]

First I feel honored that I actually ruffed someone's feathers enuf to be quoted. And it will be my 3RD seahawks game I've watched. First was Seahawks v. Eagles, second was NFC championship. I don't claim to know da team up and down I just kno mine and yea they have been building from Stewart, to Maddox, to Roethlisberger. That's just one way of lookin at their growth. Lastly, please stop tryin to take away da wins we had. Cincy ok da QB was hurt but da colts and da broncos were still top notch 1st n 2nd place teams in da AFC. Of course they are gonna make every excuse as to why they lost. I mean cmon........they lost.....to da 6th place seed. Both teams have heart sure, both teams have reasons sure, but you can't just keep braggin bout 3 players to carry da whole team (Hasselback, Alexander, Strong). It's a team not a few stars, if you wanna compare star power let's list: Roethlisberger, Bettis, Ward, Randel El, Polamalu and I could go on. It is a team and that's what da Steelers are: many players, one team, one goal, one trophy.

BuFu

ColoradoSteelerFan
01-30-2006, 08:49 PM
Good info you put together. Do the Seahawks have what it takes to beat the Steelers? Only if the Steelers make mistakes. If the Steelers stick with their gameplan and minimize mistakes and turnovers, then "one for the thumb" is finally here!

Thanks.

...and I agree with ya on what the Seahawks will need to win. I live in Denver and had quite a week with the Broncos fans before the AFC championship game. This is EXACTLY what I told the Broncos fans I talked to....if both teams play their best game, the Steelers will win. The Steelers played great, the Broncos didn't and it was all over by halftime.

This is the same thing this week. The Seahawks need turnovers to win. If they don't get them, they will lose. The Seahawks need their best game and mistakes from Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh is simply too well-rounded offensively and defensively. Seattle's offense is very good, but their defense has shown problems. Big Ben exploits their secondary the way he exploited Champ Bailey and Denver and Pittsburgh wins.

ZornToLargent
01-30-2006, 08:51 PM
First I feel honored that I atually ruffed someone's feathers enuf to be quoted. And it will be my 3RD seahawks game I've watched. First was Seahawks v. Eagles, second was NFC championship. I don't claim to know da team up and down I just kno mine and yea they have been building from Stewart, to Maddox, to Roethlisberger. That's just one way of lookin at their growth. Lastly, please stop tryin to take away da wins we had. Cincy ok da QB was hurt but da colts and da broncos were still top notch 1st n 2nd place teams in da AFC. Of course they are gonna make every excuse as to why they lost I mean cmon........they lost.....to da 6th place seed. Both teams have heart sure, both teams have reasons sure, but you can't just keep braggin bout 3 players to carry da whole team (Hasselback, Alexander, Strong). It's a team not a few stars, if you wanna compare star power let's list: Roethlisberger, Bettis, Ward, Randel El, Polamalu and I could go on. It is a team and that's what da Steelers are: many players, one team, one goal, one trophy.

BuFu
First off. BuFu, you should be quoted more. You are definetly quote material.
Second, Seattle doesn't have any star players (ok, sure Shaun...but he plays with a team mentality)...that's why nobody in the country thinks we'll win. What we have is more than star players....we have a complete and blanced team. And almost all of them are complete unknowns.

Damnit, can Sunday take any longer to get here???

ZornToLargent
01-30-2006, 08:56 PM
Thanks.

...and I agree with ya on what the Seahawks will need to win. I live in Denver and had quite a week with the Broncos fans before the AFC championship game. This is EXACTLY what I told the Broncos fans I talked to....if both teams play their best game, the Steelers will win. The Steelers played great, the Broncos didn't and it was all over by halftime.

This is the same thing this week. The Seahawks need turnovers to win. If they don't get them, they will lose. The Seahawks need their best game and mistakes from Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh is simply too well-rounded offensively and defensively. Seattle's offense is very good, but their defense has shown problems. Big Ben exploits their secondary the way he exploited Champ Bailey and Denver and Pittsburgh wins.
Our offense speaks for itself. But our Defense doesn't even know how good our Defense is...they are that good, and that young and that talented. They keep getting better every single week. Yes, we have had issues. If they play like they played last week....or even better...it should be one of the greatest SB's in recent years.

HburgXL06
01-30-2006, 08:56 PM
^ We have well known players because they make big plays. But that does not mean they play as individual units. They do play as one team and that is what makes them so great. I never detracted from da fact that da seahawks are one team witout too many star players. I just stated that if it came to a star player namin competition we would have more but that is not to say da seahawks aren't a good team. If they weren't a good team they would be sittin in Seattle watchin da game and not in Detroit playin in it. Both teams play as teams and that is what makes them both so great.

BuFu

seahawksfan
01-30-2006, 10:38 PM
Well, we have again the same rhetoric about having to play the perfect game to win. The Steelers have had to play a perfect game (regardless of the ******* ref calls) to get this far. Both teams will have to play their best game of the year to prevail. Should be a GREAT game.

Rust-Buster
01-30-2006, 10:58 PM
Where do I start.

You say blame 2 games the Steelers lost on losing Ben, but the Hawks played without D-Jackson for 10 games this season. The Seahawks had injuries all season, especially in the Defensive back corps, but they managed to put together an eleven game winning streak, and the Green Bay loss was garbage time, we had locked up home field advantage by that game and Holgrem only allowed the starters to play until Alexander got his TD record and rushing title.

As far as strength of schedule goes, lets break that down, the Steelers total wins of opponents was 136, Hawks opponents total wins 117, that's a 19 win difference, divide that by 16 games, and that means that Pitts opponents averaged 1.19 more wins over the season. You lost 5 games, we lost 3, and the last was a give-away to the Packers.
You say we haven't beat a team with a winning record since Nov. 27, what do you call the playoff wins. And where was Pittsburgh Nov 27? 6 and 7? You're the Steeler expert, you should know.

You say we can't count the Colt's win because they rested their starters. They played their starters in the first quarter, and we outscored them 14-3. We rested our starters in the second half and still beat them.

Yeah, we had an easier playoff schedule, because that was the plan, get the division, get the bye week to heal, and get the homefield advantage. We achieved our goals. You guys had to play on the road. It was impossible for us to play the number 1 seed, because it was us, baby.

Shaun Alexander got knocked out of the first playoff game with a concussion, we won without him. Alexander has 141 yards rushing in 1 game and about 3 carries in the other game. Bettis has 137 in 3 games. Alexander outran with a concussion and one less game.
Your overpowering run defense will be facing our overpowering O-Line, with 2 pro-bowl starters, an alternate, and Mack Strong, the best blocking fullback in the NFL.

Upon further review. Seattle's top reciever, D. Jackson has 218 yards in two games,
Wilson has 196 in 3.

Delhomme came into Seattle with the highest quarterback rating in the playoffs, in Seattle he played with a rating in the 30's.

We can go on digging up stats from now until game day, players make the plays. And coaches make the calls. I see two teams evenly matched. I say, Seattle 27 Steelers 20.

ColoradoSteelerFan
01-31-2006, 12:13 AM
Our offense speaks for itself. But our Defense doesn't even know how good our Defense is...they are that good, and that young and that talented. They keep getting better every single week. Yes, we have had issues. If they play like they played last week....or even better...it should be one of the greatest SB's in recent years.

This is complete gibberish....surely you know this. "Our defense is so good it doesn't know how good it is":blah: :blah: :blah: :sofunny: :dang:

...Well....if a defense that finished the year ranked in the middle of pack can feel that way about itself, more power to it! If a secondary that finished ranked near the bottom can feel that way about itself...we'll....it is simply delusional.

....See, good defenses show that on the field. The Steelers have. They peaked at the right moment. They were 7-5 and facing elimination. They rallied and showed what they were made of. Seattle got to play San Francisco....and an Eagles team minus Donovan McNabb and any hope of survival....and a Colts team without any motivation.....and Tennessee....and San Francisco again....and Arizona....and Houston....and St. Louis....and Arizona....AGAIN.

Seattle is a good team. They have played the schedule given. But, do you honestly believe that Seattle would be 7-0 when facing the 7 teams the Steelers have faced in the past 7 weeks? Maybe you do.....and maybe you are completely off your rocker.....

Rust-Buster
01-31-2006, 12:52 AM
You guys remind me of the old Saturday Night Live routine with the Bears fans going over and over stats and hypothetical situations in which every joke ends in "Da Bears"
I picked apart the stats that started this thread, I don't see anything in your stats that guarantees a win. If the Steelers are so good, why did they have to go on the road to get to the SuperBowl? I hear alot of excuses about injuries and how you guys are arriving together at the right time. So are the Hawks. The Seahawks are a solid team, and play like a complete unit. As far as the defense goes, it's good enough to win. When Holgrem was resting the offense in the lop sided wins against the Eagles and Indy, and the loss against Green Bay, he left the defense in so they could get better. The Hawks defense played injured all season, but they are all back now for this game except for Ken Hamlin.
Check out how the Hawks defense does in the redzone. You can run up and down all day the field all day if you want, but getting into the endzone, that's the paycheck baby. Seattle 27, Steelers 20.

NMHawkFan
01-31-2006, 08:51 AM
How about we all just hope for an exciting and nailbiting game and then afterwards we all go and hang Skip Bayless and pelt him with Hawk/Steeler souveniers.

Suitanim
01-31-2006, 08:55 AM
I picked apart the stats that started this thread

Bwahahahahahahahaha!

Let's just put it this way...if Seattle was still in the AFC, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Steve_Courson's_Liver
01-31-2006, 10:24 AM
This has all the makings of a blow out...but I would not bet on it. On paper, it looks like a mismatch, but the seahawks are the NFC champs, I am sure they will come to play.

I am hoping for one of those classic Superbowls where it is so lopsided you can start celebrating at half time. I had enough drama in the Indy game.

ColoradoSteelerFan
01-31-2006, 10:38 AM
You guys remind me of the old Saturday Night Live routine with the Bears fans going over and over stats and hypothetical situations in which every joke ends in "Da Bears"
I picked apart the stats that started this thread, I don't see anything in your stats that guarantees a win. If the Steelers are so good, why did they have to go on the road to get to the SuperBowl? I hear alot of excuses about injuries and how you guys are arriving together at the right time. So are the Hawks. The Seahawks are a solid team, and play like a complete unit. As far as the defense goes, it's good enough to win. When Holgrem was resting the offense in the lop sided wins against the Eagles and Indy, and the loss against Green Bay, he left the defense in so they could get better. The Hawks defense played injured all season, but they are all back now for this game except for Ken Hamlin.
Check out how the Hawks defense does in the redzone. You can run up and down all day the field all day if you want, but getting into the endzone, that's the paycheck baby. Seattle 27, Steelers 20.

You picked apart the stats? uh.....no.

You commented on the Steelers 2 losses without Ben, but did nothing to discredit the information. You then added some stuff about Jackson. This is not "picking" apart.

You commented on SOS and then attempted to make it look better for the Seahawks. You tried to spin....but did not pick apart. See, there is a 19 game differential between the wins of the Steeler opponents and the Seahawks opponents when we look as JUST the regular season. BUT....when it is known that counting playoff opponents, Seahawk opponents have 130 wins while the Steeler opponents have 164 wins. This is NOT 19.....this is 34. Again, this is not "picking" apart.

Then you made this statement:

You say we can't count the Colt's win because they rested their starters. They played their starters in the first quarter, and we outscored them 14-3. We rested our starters in the second half and still beat them.

This is a COMPLETELY INACCURATE STATEMENT!

1. The score at the end of the first quarter was 7-3....NOT 14-3. When Manning left the game, it was still 7-3. Sorgi played the entire 2nd quarter and the rest of the game.

2. Seattle did NOT rest their starters in the second half. Shaun Alexander scored the games final TD with 4:02 left......in the 4th quarter. Other starters who played the whole game? Matt Hasselbeck. He was the ONLY Seattle QB to play that day. Jeremy Stevens was also still playing in the 4th. Seattle might have begun to rest starters when they were up 28-6 but it didn't happen any sooner than this.

On Alexander. He had 6 carries for 9 yards in the Washington game. A game he played almost the entire first quarter and one in which he had done absolutely nothing by the time he got the concussion. Against Carolina, he had 34 rushes for 132 yards. Not bad. However, when you consider Alexander produced 5.1 yards/carry throughout the year and even that days effort left him with a 3.9 yds/carry ave. I would say he was STILL underproducing. So, we have 40 carries for 141 yards. This is a 3.5/yard average in the playoffs when compared to 5.1 for the regular season.

I don't have any idea where Delhomme's QB rating was BEFORE last week. Based on the inaccurate information you provided, I doubt he was the highest. What I do KNOW now is that Seattle is facing the QB with the highest rating in Big Ben. Ben is at 124.8.....Hasselbeck is at 108.9. To end the regular season, Big Ben was still ahead, albeit slightly ahead of Hasselbeck, 98.8 to 98.2....and was way ahead of Delhomme who finished the year with an 88.1. Also, lets remember what the Steelers did to Manning who finished the year with a 104.1 rating, ranked first among QB's with 10 or more games.

Rust-Buster....you didn't pick apart the stats. You tried to spin them to fit your purposes. When the truth be known, Seattle fans still don't have much to talk smack about. Seattle is a very good team and they have a defense that has been good enough to win, as you said. But, it has been good enough to win over some mediocre competition, both regular season and in the playoffs. The Steelers are by far the best team Seattle has played all year. The Steelers, on the other hand, have played two teams in the past two weeks that are probably better than the Seahawks. Steelers will be ready to go......you are what stands between them and the one for the thumb!

Hawk Believer
01-31-2006, 10:59 AM
[QUOTE=ColoradoSteelerFan]
On Alexander. He had 6 carries for 9 yards in the Washington game. A game he played almost the entire first quarter and one in which he had done absolutely nothing by the time he got the concussion. Against Carolina, he had 34 rushes for 132 yards. Not bad. However, when you consider Alexander produced 5.1 yards/carry throughout the year and even that days effort left him with a 3.9 yds/carry ave. I would say he was STILL underproducing. So, we have 40 carries for 141 yards. This is a 3.5/yard average in the playoffs when compared to 5.1 for the regular season.

QUOTE]

To shed some nuinaced light on this... Using the west coast offense, Seattle almost always uses the pass to set up the run. The scripted opening plays of the quarter are always heavy on the pass. For sure, Alexander was not getting far on the few carries he had. The Skins were well prepared for the typical Seahawk scheme. But thats when Seattle made the adjustment. They were covering the pass and run but they were leaving Hasselbeck open. Thats when he made the adjustment and started scrambling. And led the team to victory in spite of losing Alexander.

But oh yeah, I forgot, Hasselbeck is a lousy QB who can't make reads, falters under pressure, and can't scramble. (I am not saying you said that CSF, I've been reading that a lot elsewhere). I hope thats what your defense thinks about him.

Also, I don't have stats to back this up, but it always has seemed to me that Alexander is the type of back that will get 8 one to two yards gains and then bust out with a 20 to 30 yarder. I would guess his average gain has a pretty significant negative skew.

millertime83
01-31-2006, 11:16 AM
And you need to stop coddling yourself with posts like this. :blah: :blah: :blah:

Seattle is on one....your team better get out of the way. It will be a fight to the end.

If anyone has an "us against the world" mentality and reason for it, it's the 'Hawks. We have been dissed (and I understand why) for 30 years. It is time to rectify that, and that time is this Sunday. Sorry, but the Steelers are not against the world, the world is on your side this time. Y'all are the favorites. Believe me, it's the Seahawks against the world, not the Steelers.

You really should take some of your own advice. Like you mentioned, stats don't mean anything for the game on Sunday, but now all of a sudden you want to state how it's the world against Seattle. Tell me exactly how that will help the Seachickens come Sunday. Also, the bottom line is about lining up and playing football and I hope the Seachickens are ready to get punched in the mouth because this will be a physical battle!

Suitanim
01-31-2006, 11:20 AM
Hmmmpf! Someone just got owned!

HburgXL06
01-31-2006, 12:16 PM
Any team or fan that regards Hasselback and Seattle as an easy win is foolin themselves. But I agree da Steelers are a physical team and do know how to beat opponents into submission. Porter has a sniper scope for QBs it seems. He don't care who he has to go thru to get there. Tide should pick him up as a spokesman since he gives so many QBs grass stains. If da seahawks want to get yards down da field they gonna have to be able to hold off da pressure on Hasselback better than did da colts and da broncos. Also look for Polumalo because he is omnipresent on D and will find ways to trip up receivers and make interceptions. Peace.

BuFu

seahawksfan
01-31-2006, 12:21 PM
You really should take some of your own advice. Like you mentioned, stats don't mean anything for the game on Sunday, but now all of a sudden you want to state how it's the world against Seattle. Tell me exactly how that will help the Seachickens come Sunday. Also, the bottom line is about lining up and playing football and I hope the Seachickens are ready to get punched in the mouth because this will be a physical battle!

Physical battle? No problem, bring it on...:boxing:

ColoradoSteelerFan
01-31-2006, 12:21 PM
To shed some nuinaced light on this... Using the west coast offense, Seattle almost always uses the pass to set up the run. The scripted opening plays of the quarter are always heavy on the pass. For sure, Alexander was not getting far on the few carries he had. The Skins were well prepared for the typical Seahawk scheme. But thats when Seattle made the adjustment. They were covering the pass and run but they were leaving Hasselbeck open. Thats when he made the adjustment and started scrambling. And led the team to victory in spite of losing Alexander.

But oh yeah, I forgot, Hasselbeck is a lousy QB who can't make reads, falters under pressure, and can't scramble. (I am not saying you said that CSF, I've been reading that a lot elsewhere). I hope thats what your defense thinks about him.

Also, I don't have stats to back this up, but it always has seemed to me that Alexander is the type of back that will get 8 one to two yards gains and then bust out with a 20 to 30 yarder. I would guess his average gain has a pretty significant negative skew.[/QUOTE]

People saying Hasselbeck is a lousy QB who can't make reads, falters under pressure and can't scramble are about as ignorant as the Seahawk fans who prompted me to start this thread. Hasselbeck is a great QB and arguably the best QB in the NFC all year. He has made the most of what he has and proved in the Washington game that he doesn't need Alexander to win. That being said, against a defense like Pittsburgh he is going to need Alexander to win. If Hasselbeck is forced to pass as the game goes along, thing are not going to be good for Seattle. The Steeler secondary has been playing amazingly well during this 7-0 win streak. The team has 12 sacks and many, if not a majority must be credited as cover sacks. No one to pass to. Kitna ran around all second half looking for someone to pass to and couldn't find them. Manning had little time and when he did he had difficulty finding open guys (did you see McFaddon's play on Wayne at the end of the game?) And Jake the snake, one of the better scramblers, found himself harassed and flushed out all day.

During the 7-0 win streak, the Steeler's defense has held the opposing passer to at or below their average in completion percentage and yards per attempt. Really, Plummer is the only QB to be near his average. If Alexander can run, things will be looking very good for Seattle....if he can't they won't be. The Steelers secondary is good enough to keep Hasselbeck tied up all day....the question is whether Seattle's is good enough to keep Roethlisberger off-balance.

Himewad
01-31-2006, 12:44 PM
The Steelers will be the toughest defense we've faced this year. We did have 3-4 experience 4x this past year (49'ers x 2, Texans, Cowboys). Granted, the Steeler D has a higher caliber player than these teams.

Ummm ... if you think the "experience" you gained against the 3-4 defenses of the 49ers and Texans is the same as the experience of being ambushed by Joey Porter and pals, I can see why you are so confident. Seriously ... the 49ers and Texans?!? I don't know whether to shake my head or laugh. I think I'll laugh. :sofunny:

Dallas, the other 3-4 defense Seattle faced this year, played well against you. And this is the FIRST YEAR the Cowboys are playing that defensive formation. If Drew Bledsoe didn't gift-wrap that game for you, the 'Boys would have beat you.

This has got to be the lamest argument for Seattle winning the Super Bowl that I have ever heard of. "WE BEAT SAN FRANCISCO TWICE AND THE TEXANS ONCE!!! NEXT STOP ... DETROIT!!!" :rolleyes:

SteelerFanInCA
01-31-2006, 02:35 PM
I see two teams evenly matched. I say, Seattle 27 Steelers 20.
Not even in Madden's 2006 is that score possible.

Rust-Buster
01-31-2006, 03:02 PM
Colorado, Okay, maybe I got it wrong about when they pulled Manning. I'm pretty sure Alexander did not play the second half except to come in and score that one touchdown.
I remember him being sat out in the second half. Maybe I have beer memory about that.
I'll have to look that up. I'll concede the point. Were all spinning our wheels here baby.

millertime83
01-31-2006, 03:10 PM
Physical battle? No problem, bring it on...:boxing:

Funny thing is that the bengals, colts and broncos thought they were ready for a physical battle as well and we all know how that turned out. Here's to a great battle on sunday, although I think the Seachickens will crumble after getting punched in the mouth a few times.

marksashton
01-31-2006, 03:14 PM
Alexander averaged 5.1 yards per carry for the regular season. He is averaging 3.2 per/carry on the 40 carries he's had in the playoffs. 23 of his 40 carries have been for a loss or no gain. Now, he faces arguably the best run defense in the NFL. I don't think you'll see Alexander hit the century mark unless he rips off a 40 yarder on a single play.

Alexander and the Seattle O-line are both very good. However, the Steeler front 7 have been playing lights out for the past 7 games. 12 sacks over the past 3 games. The Broncos had the NFL's 2nd ranked rush offense and arguable one of the best O-lines in the game. The Steelers embarassed them on their own field. The question is not IF Farrior, Haggans and Porter will get to Hasselback....its how many times. The real question is can the Seattle defense stop the Steeler running game and get to Roethlisberger. They lead the NFL in sacks, but have only 4 to show for their efforts over the past 2 games. If you cannot sack Roeth, things will get ugly. Roethlisberger has thrived under pressure since returning from his injury. Pressure will not be enough.

I just have to chime in on this. I admire the Steelers defense. They're tough against the run and have a pretty good pass defense. But they have not faced an offense like Seattle's all year. Seattle's offense is very balanced - good passing and great running. They have the best offensive line in the NFL. THey open up holes and defend the rush very very well. While the Steelers D is good, I don't think they're good enough to dominate Seattle's passing and rushing game. They'll need to emphasize pass defense or rush defense to win. But when they do that they play to Seattle's strengths. If the other team focuses on stopping the run, our good QB and receivers run rampant. If the other team focuses on stopping the pass then Alexander gains 120 yards and 2 TD's. Bottom line, I think Seattle's strengths on offense match up pretty well against the Steelers D.

On the other side of the ball, Seattle's defense will surprise at least the Pittsburgh fans if not the players. Seattle was 5th in the NFL agasint the run this year. While their defensive line is small by Pittsburgh standards, they're quicker. They move to the ball well. They're very aggressive. They also sack the QB a lot but I think that's over played. Their focus isn't on sacks. It's on pressuring the opposing QB enough to throw off timing. Seattle's biggest weakness is in the secondary and I think that's where they'll win or lose the game. If Pittsburgh is able to establish a running game (I don't think they will in any significant way...) then Seattle will be in a world of hurt b/c they'll need to bring in extra help. Pittsburgh's QB is good, no question. But he's also very young. How will he hold up under the pressure? How will he handle getting knocked around? How will he handle the pressure he'll face if the Steelers can't establish the run?

Steel - X
01-31-2006, 03:18 PM
How will he hold up under the pressure? How will he handle getting knocked around? How will he handle the pressure he'll face if the Steelers can't establish the run?

I guess you can say the same for Hasslebeck, correct? He hasnt been to many Superbowls either.

Justin Otstott
01-31-2006, 03:19 PM

I hope after the SB is over and if and I say if we win you stick around for a bit...

jpa375
01-31-2006, 03:31 PM
Any of you ****y seahag trolls want to put some money where your mouths are? Anybody?

Hawk Believer
01-31-2006, 03:31 PM
Would you really want us back if the Hawks win?

I'll be back to debrief rain or shine.

Steel - X
01-31-2006, 03:32 PM
We would welcome you back if the hawks win. I will be looking for you.

Justin Otstott
01-31-2006, 03:34 PM
yup and also if we win...wanna see how you guys react if u lose.

Hawk Believer
01-31-2006, 03:37 PM
Regardless of which side wins, there will be an awful lot of opposing fans who will look pretty foolish for what they've said. But I guess if you can't talk trash the week you team is in the SB, when can you?

Hawk Believer
01-31-2006, 03:38 PM
But I guess if you can't talk trash the week you team is in the SB, when can you?

As I was posting I realized I could answer my question.... The week after.

Justin Otstott
01-31-2006, 03:39 PM
im not talking trash im saying if we win not when, you guys get my respect...wait i mean your team...the fans so far are blah!

Hawk Believer
01-31-2006, 03:50 PM
im not talking trash im saying if we win not when, you guys get my respect...wait i mean your team...the fans so far are blah!
I wasn't naming anyone in particular. But there are a lot of people on both sides that present the situation like there is no possiblity that the other team will get a first down.

I try to walk the same road you.. Support your team and root for them. But anybody who really thinks a game is guaranteed is delusional even if one side is favored.

So what is your gripe on Seattle fans so far? Too brazen or not enough?

Rust-Buster
01-31-2006, 08:02 PM
I'll come back, you guys know you're stuff. It's alot more fun to banter here then at home. JPA375. I'd put some money where my mouth is, but I'd probably find out you're a cop. How about a humilition bet, no eating turds though. If the Steelers win, I will go attend my City Council Meeting (In Bremerton, Washington, right across the bay from Seattle) in a dress and address the council and say, "the Pittsburgh Steelers are mightier than the Seahawks"
Wanna make that bet? Loser has to post pics here to prove it.

24seven
01-31-2006, 08:10 PM
I wonder if Steeler fans go to the Seahawks board to post there hurrahs.. Seems strange that the other team has to come here to voice there opinions.. Personally I would never think of seeking out another teams forum to stir up the shit.. I guess I have better things to do......

ColoradoSteelerFan
01-31-2006, 08:11 PM
I just have to chime in on this. I admire the Steelers defense. They're tough against the run and have a pretty good pass defense. But they have not faced an offense like Seattle's all year. Seattle's offense is very balanced - good passing and great running. They have the best offensive line in the NFL. THey open up holes and defend the rush very very well. While the Steelers D is good, I don't think they're good enough to dominate Seattle's passing and rushing game. They'll need to emphasize pass defense or rush defense to win. But when they do that they play to Seattle's strengths. If the other team focuses on stopping the run, our good QB and receivers run rampant. If the other team focuses on stopping the pass then Alexander gains 120 yards and 2 TD's. Bottom line, I think Seattle's strengths on offense match up pretty well against the Steelers D.

On the other side of the ball, Seattle's defense will surprise at least the Pittsburgh fans if not the players. Seattle was 5th in the NFL agasint the run this year. While their defensive line is small by Pittsburgh standards, they're quicker. They move to the ball well. They're very aggressive. They also sack the QB a lot but I think that's over played. Their focus isn't on sacks. It's on pressuring the opposing QB enough to throw off timing. Seattle's biggest weakness is in the secondary and I think that's where they'll win or lose the game. If Pittsburgh is able to establish a running game (I don't think they will in any significant way...) then Seattle will be in a world of hurt b/c they'll need to bring in extra help. Pittsburgh's QB is good, no question. But he's also very young. How will he hold up under the pressure? How will he handle getting knocked around? How will he handle the pressure he'll face if the Steelers can't establish the run?

This is the kinda stuff I'm talking about!

Haven't faced an offense like Seattle's all year?

Seattle finished the year ranked 2nd in total offense with 369.7 yds/game.

The Colts finished 3rd in total offense with 362.4 yards/game.....Steelers beat them two weeks ago....on the road.

Denver finished 5th in total offense with 360.4 yards/game. Steelers beat them last week.....on the road.

Cincy finished 6th in total offense with 358.1 yards/game....Steelers beat them TWICE this season.....BOTH TIMES on the road.

So...you are wrong. The Steelers have faced AND BEATEN 3 team with very, very good offenses....all within the last 3 weeks.

NO running back has gained 100 yards on the Steelers during the past 7 games, and I can't think of a single back to do it this year (though it might have happened once or twice). In fact, there has been only ONE time during the past 7 games when the opposing team's entire rush offense broke the 100 yard mark (105 Cincy).

The Steelers don't have to put 8 guys in the box because their D-line and LB's are so good. This leave both safeties available for the Blitz or coverage.

Roethlisberger has shown how he operates when they can't establish the run. He showed this against Denver. The Steelers averaged like 2.7 yards a carry and hit 90 yards....what happened? Denver got blown out! So....your question has been answered.

Hawk Believer
01-31-2006, 08:19 PM
I wonder if Steeler fans go to the Seahawks board to post there hurrahs.. Seems strange that the other team has to come here to voice there opinions.. Personally I would never think of seeking out another teams forum to stir up the shit.. I guess I have better things to do......
Personally I enjoy a good debate rather than a bunch of people agreeing on everything. We don't have to be here. But most of the other Steelers fans here have been pretty welcoming.