PDA

View Full Version : Tired of people bashing Ike Taylor

SteelCurtain0815
12-31-2009, 01:42 AM
I read the Steelers.com message board, but am not a member and people are always bashing Ike and I can't stand it. Sure, Ike has stone hands, but he usually blankets the opponents #1 receiver. If you know football, the reason Ike doesn't get any ints is because he has a different style. He never looks at the QB, but instead stays on the WR's a$$ throughout the whole play, thus making it hard to get turned around to see the ball coming for an attempt at an int. I cannot recall one time where Ike was torched all game long. Not to mention, he shuts down Chad 85 every time we play the Bungles. Ike is a number one corner for most teams in this league, and if we could just get a replacement for gay, our secondary would be dominant once again.

steelreserve
12-31-2009, 04:47 AM
Yeah, I don't think there's anything wrong with Taylor either. This isn't his best year, but then again, you took away the best playmaker in the league who used to be playing next to him, and the other corner is essentially a rookie who wasn't ready yet. The people around you do affect what you can do yourself. People keep saying "Oh, well Polamalu is just ONE player, he shouldn't make all the difference," or "Gay is just ONE player, and it's not all his fault."

But the reality is, we've lost half our secondary, and when the new guys play like crap, it's pretty likely to affect Clark and Taylor and make them play like crap too. Just like the Stapleton effect on the offensive line last year. It does happen.

HometownGal
12-31-2009, 06:31 AM
I have no problem at all with Ike and though his play hasn't been top-notch this season, no one on the Steelers D other than Woodley has really stood out imho.

steelcity1974
12-31-2009, 07:14 AM
I think Ike gets beat sometimes because he's caught off guard...he can't believe they aren't throwing the ball to the guy Gay's marking.

Not his best season, but the best we have in the secondary right now.

Rick5895
12-31-2009, 07:22 AM
Ike hasn't had his best season, but playing CB in the NFL is a difficult task at best. Often the #1 CB on any team (Ike) is asked to cover the other teams best receiver. I have seen every game this season and what has hurt our secondary is the awful safety play. Our safeties have been out of position most of the time and that impacts on the CB's. Safeties are expected to have "over the top" coverage in most situations unless it's man, with Troy being out that just hasn't happened.

steelerchad
12-31-2009, 07:24 AM
Ike's solid and he's not the problem. He was a complete shut down corner last year. He's had a couple of blown coveages this year. It happens.
I think there are a few reasons our pass coverage has been bad. Obviously Gay hasn't performed. In addition, Carter can't replace Troy. Also, I think our pass rush has been a half step late most of the season.
Last year, we were healthy and the rush was getting there. A split second late in the rush can make a huge difference with receivers being able to get open downfield and the QB being able to deliver the ball.

steelballs
12-31-2009, 07:38 AM
I have no problem at all with Ike and though his play hasn't been top-notch this season, no one on the Steelers D other than Woodley has really stood out imho.

I'll give Timmons an "atta boy" for a few games, but overall the defensive play has been "below the line" as Tomlin would say.

As noted by others, Taylor has suffered along with the rest of the defensive backfield for several reasons, and to hold Taylor or Gay or Clark solely responsible is unfair. Ike is far from being "done" and I look for him to continue to improve and be an integral part of the Steeler "D" going forward.

TheWarDen86
12-31-2009, 08:09 AM
I don't fault Ike for not getting the INT's. But he's not the solid CB he's made out to be. He seems to get beat a lot and when he does he draws the P.I. call.

This year he's flown under the radar and I suspect it's because he's playing opposite William Gay (who would make ME look like Champ Bailey) and teams are going after him instead of Ike.

That said, he could certainly be worse.

Dino 6 Rings
12-31-2009, 09:07 AM
Um...Ike was torched in the Raiders game for a Huge Touchdown.

I like Ike...he has brick hands, but I don't hate the guy...but he was torched in that game.

FacemeIke
12-31-2009, 09:57 AM
We are lucky to have Ike....but I'm done arguing with people about that fact.

supa_fly_steeler
12-31-2009, 11:32 AM
ike is rubbish, polamalu bails him out every game, made gradowski look like peyton manning and murphy look like jerry rice.

that is inexcuseable, he needs more bashing you can't back him up, he has given up and been burnt more times than anyone apart from mcfadden, he has also pretty much given up every pass touchdown exlcuding some townsends and carters lol.

all overhyped, always the commentators saying how he's having a pro bowl type year lol what tripe.

2008 defence was something special, everyone performened well when they started mcfadden, gay, taylor, clark, carter...

i guess 2009 was not our year, we still have a top 10 Defence though lol. so im not gonna complain massive amounts because we have seen what our corners can do and can do a pretty good job.

devilsdancefloor
12-31-2009, 11:40 AM
ike is rubbish, polamalu bails him out every game, made gradowski look like peyton manning and murphy look like jerry rice.

that is inexcuseable, he needs more bashing you can't back him up, he has given up and been burnt more times than anyone apart from mcfadden, he has also pretty much given up every pass touchdown exlcuding some townsends and carters lol.

all overhyped, always the commentators saying how he's having a pro bowl type year lol what tripe.

2008 defence was something special, everyone performened well when they started mcfadden, gay, taylor, clark, carter...

i guess 2009 was not our year, we still have a top 10 Defence though lol. so im not gonna complain massive amounts because we have seen what our corners can do and can do a pretty good job.

just playing a little devils advocate dont go have a heart attack, but if ike is playing like rubbish what the hell do you call gays play? cuase you seem to have a blind eye for him.

Rick5895
12-31-2009, 11:47 AM
Um...Ike was torched in the Raiders game for a Huge Touchdown.

I like Ike...he has brick hands, but I don't hate the guy...but he was torched in that game.

In the Raider game he should have had safety help deep and he didn't. Our safeties were ALWAYS out of position in that game. UNfortunately the CB is always the one who is blamed on a busted coverage, sometimes it is the fault of the CB but most of the time some one has sh*t the bed in their responsability.

Rick5895
12-31-2009, 11:48 AM

:banging::banging::banging::banging::banging:

SteelCurtain0815
12-31-2009, 12:38 PM
In the Raiders game where Murphy was caught that long td pass, Ike obviously thought he had safety help.Who knows if he was right or wrong. I think Troy has a lot to do with our pass d lacking, but Ike has held his own for the most part, without Troy.

revefsreleets
12-31-2009, 02:04 PM
This has already been addressed by a couple different people. Ike's role has changed because he's had to cover for Gay. They are running different schemes. More cover-2. Much more zone, and he has to rely on others. The TD in the Raiders game was a perfect example...his responsibility was the outside route, and the guy turned in...there was no safety help there where there was supposed to be, so, quick 6.

Not Ike's fault....

truesteelerfan
12-31-2009, 03:53 PM
In comparison to other #1 CB's in the league, I think Ike is very average....But yes, he's the best that we've got. Gets burned too often.....if he was getting burned because he was going for a pick is one thing, but just to get burned isn't as impressive. Yes, terrible hands, but average, adequate cover skills....not a superstar, but adequate.

SteelCurtain0815
12-31-2009, 04:00 PM
Ike never gets "burned." All the big plays he gives up are because he his always face guarding the receiver and doesn't get his head turned around. There is not a WR in the league that can run right by Ike.

Atranox
12-31-2009, 04:05 PM
This year, Ike has given up more receptions than any other defensive back in the entire NFL. I think that speaks for itself.

There is not a WR in the league that can run right by Ike.

I doubt that there's a WR that could run right by Usain Bolt either. That doesn't make him a good cornerback. Ike being fast is 100% useless unless he breaks the pass up, which he never does.

SteelCurtain0815
12-31-2009, 04:13 PM
This year, Ike has given up more receptions than any other defensive back in the entire NFL. I think that speaks for itself.

I doubt that there's a WR that could run right by Usain Bolt either. That doesn't make him a good cornerback. Ike being fast is 100% useless unless he breaks the pass up, which he never does.

He is always breaking up passes. Don't you recall all the ints that he should have caught? Well those go down as a broken up pass. I honestly cannot recall a time where Ike has given up a big game to an opponents WR. Minus the Raiders game where it wasn't even Ike's fault. Ike is a great corner and we need to keep him around...

Drizztbob
12-31-2009, 04:36 PM
I cannot recall one time where Ike was torched all game long.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I'm trying to think of a game where Ike HASN'T gotten burnt for at least ONE big play in a game this year. He has been garbage all year long and if you haven't seen that, you are not watching the full game each week.

Atranox
12-31-2009, 04:53 PM
He is always breaking up passes. Don't you recall all the ints that he should have caught? Well those go down as a broken up pass.

Ike Taylor is ranked 57th in the league in pass defenses. He's broken up 11 passes all year. He has ONE more pass defense than Polamalu, who has played in only 3 games.

Lets compare some good CBs to Ike:

Darelle Revis = 37 pass defenses
Rodgers-Cromartie = 31
Darren Sharper = 24
Asante Samuel = 24
Ike Taylor = 11
Troy Polamalu (3 games) = 10

Who else has 11 pass defenses? John Jolly, a DEFENSIVE END from Green Bay, Jon Vilma, a MLB from New Orleans, and Jon Beason, a MLB from Carolina. Congratulations Ike Taylor.

On top of only breaking up 11 passes, Ike has given up more completions than ANYONE on any defense all year. This gives him the LOWEST percentage of pass breakups in the entire league.

steel9guy
12-31-2009, 05:15 PM
He's having a bad year. He'll be good next year. Ike Taylor is a beast.

SteelCurtain0815
12-31-2009, 05:19 PM
How many times has Ike given the WR he's covering 100 yards? Tell me that. Those stats are misleading as well. A lot of quarterbacks don't throw Ike's way because the WR isn't open, therefor he doesn't get the chances to knock the ball down. Ike is fine and has done good things for this football team. STOP bashing him.

HometownGal
12-31-2009, 05:42 PM
Fire the bum. :coffee:

supa_fly_steeler
12-31-2009, 05:48 PM
He is always breaking up passes. Don't you recall all the ints that he should have caught? Well those go down as a broken up pass. I honestly cannot recall a time where Ike has given up a big game to an opponents WR. Minus the Raiders game where it wasn't even Ike's fault. Ike is a great corner and we need to keep him around...

dude i can't stick up for william gays play now, he was doing alright he got rocked up adrian peterson, but ike has been horrible all year. but you need to stop sticking up for ike he has been putrid

william gay is young and can will get better, ike is older and should have vast amounts of knowledge stored in that brain of his...

ike has had a repeat of that disastrous 6-6 season.

Atranox
12-31-2009, 06:25 PM
A lot of quarterbacks don't throw Ike's way because the WR isn't open, therefor he doesn't get the chances to knock the ball down.

If they don't throw his way, then why has he given up the MOST completions in the league?

Most completions given up in the NFL, 57th in pass defenses, lowest pass defense percentage, and zero interceptions...and you think he's good?

pepsyman1
12-31-2009, 06:50 PM
If they don't throw his way, then why has he given up the MOST completions in the league?

Most completions given up in the NFL, 57th in pass defenses, lowest pass defense percentage, and zero interceptions...and you think he's good?

LOL... Stats don't lie. I think our secondary did well last year as a total unit. The only one of the group that's a great individual performer is really Troy. When Troy isn't in there, I think the individual player's skills get exposed. Troy makes the whole group work; when he's not in there, all the rest of them are just average as cover people...Ike Taylor included. We haven't had a strong, ball hawking CB in a very long time.

markymarc
01-01-2010, 01:37 PM
Ike Taylor is still our best CB on this team. I understand that our entire secondary has been horrible all season, but IMO Ike's struggles has been because he is trying to make up for the loss of Troy and the unacceptable play of William Gay.

supa_fly_steeler
01-01-2010, 03:01 PM
Ike Taylor is still our best CB on this team. I understand that our entire secondary has been horrible all season, but IMO Ike's struggles has been because he is trying to make up for the loss of Troy and the unacceptable play of William Gay.

then he is a bad cornerback if he needs troy polamalu to be back their to be this "shutdown" corner you dont need a saftey behind you, you are left on a island...

now this is a shutdown corner...

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/3073/53663073.jpg

Man i wish we picked revis picked him, not hating on timmons but revis is something special, does he even want to be a Jet lol.

Atranox
01-01-2010, 03:33 PM

The horrible play of Gay should be making Ike's job even easier. If he was covering worth a damn, nobody would throw on him.

cubanstogie
01-01-2010, 06:49 PM
If you are tired of people bashing Ike then you are in the wrong place. This is a place to vent. Some arguments are more subjective like blaming Arians for the woes. Hard to prove, on the other hand Ike IMO has been a great cover guy the last 2 years but fell off hard this year. Raider game sticks out. Ike along with the rest of secondary(except Troy when he suits up) has been the D's achilles heal unless you want to say achilles heal is injuries. The problem is Ike and Gay are the best cover guys we have at the moment so all we can do is vent, no where to turn. Its pretty hard to be in Ike's corner this year. No pun intended.