PDA

View Full Version : Wallace earns Greene Award

Galax Steeler
12-31-2009, 04:57 AM
PITTSBURGH — For the first time in three seasons, the Steelers have a Rookie of the Year who’s more than just a special teams player.

This year, wide receiver Mike Wallace is the winner of the “Joe Greene Great Performance Award," given annually to the Steelers' top rookie.

Two years ago, punter Daniel Sepulveda won the award. Last year, it was linebacker Patrick Bailey, who’s used exclusively on special teams.

“I just have confidence in what I can do,” said Wallace, one of the Steelers’ three third-round picks in this year’s NFL Draft. “I know what type of player I am. I have all of the confidence in the world in my abilities.

“If somebody is giving me the opportunity to get out there, I'm not giving it back. I’m taking advantage of it. I never have been the type of guy who wants to sit around and watch. I like to play in a game, be in a game and make an impact.”

As the Steelers’ No. 3 wideout behind starters Hines Ward and Santonio Holmes, Wallace sure has made an impact. He’s fourth on the team with 37 catches, fourth with 692 receiving yards and tied for second with five touchdown catches. He’s a big-play threat who’s scored TDs on catches on 47, 40, 25, 70 and 19 yards

“I just believed in myself, hoping for an opportunity,” Wallace said. “I just thank the organization for giving me the opportunity to get in and play, believing I can make the plays.”

FARRIOR: MEDIA GOOD GUY

As a 13-year NFL veteran, inside linebacker James Farrior knows how to deal with the media. Since coming to the Steelers in 2002 as a free agent, he’s been a player that reporters always seek out for his perspectives.

This year as the Steelers have struggled in their bid to make the playoffs, Farrior has been especially cooperative in dealing with tough questions that typically follow tough losses. That’s one of the reasons why Farrior was presented with “The Chief Award,” presented annually to the Steeler who best exemplifies the spirit of cooperation with the media.

“I’ve been around this league for a long time and I understand you have to take the good with the bad,” Farrior said. “This year we had more bad than we normally have.

“It’s been tough. This year was probably the toughest year as far as dealing with the media. We haven’t been in a situation like this, losing five straight games (recently). It was something we weren’t used to but I understand dealing with the media is part of our business. It’s something we are obligated to do. I felt like I had to do it.”

“The Chief Award” is named in honor of the Steelers’ founder, the late Art Rooney Sr.

MORE PRO BOWLERS?

The Steelers only had two of their stars make it to the Pro Bowl. The AFC roster announced Tuesday included nose tackle Casey Hampton and outside linebacker James Harrison.

But there is a chance as many as three more Steelers may play in the NFL’s annual all-star game. Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, tight end Heath Miller and outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley are alternates.

If any Pro Bowl picks don’t play in the game, their places will be filled by alternates.

Of the three Steeler alternates, Roethlisberger and Miller have the best chance of making the Pro Bowl, which will be played Jan. 31 in Miami.

There’s a good chance that one of the three AFC QBs _ Indianapolis’ Peyton Manning, San Diego’s Philip Rivers or New England’s Tom Brady _ will be playing in the Feb. 7 Super Bowl. If that’s the case, he won’t play in the Pro Bowl.

The same holds true for the AFC Pro Bowl tight ends, If Indy’s Dallas Clark or San Diego’s Antonio Gates are in the Super Bowl, Miller will be added to the AFC roster.

Woodley’s chances of playing in the Pro Bowl aren’t as promising. The three outside linebackers — Harrison, Houston’s Brian Cushing and Denver’s Elvis Dumervil _ might not even make the playoffs.

WOODLEY HONORED

Based on his impressive performance Sunday in a 23-20 win over Baltimore, Woodley has been named the AFC Defensive Player of the Week.

Woodley finished the game with seven solo tackles, two sacks and a forced fumble. Both his sacks came on the Ravens final possession. The second sack resulted in a fumble that was recovered by rookie defensive end Ziggy Hood.

Woodley, a second-round pick in the 2007 draft, leads the Steelers with 11.5 sacks this season.

He set a franchise record Sunday by recording at least a half-sack in seven consecutive games. The previous record of six was set by linebacker Greg Lloyd in 1994.

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1424/2009/december/31/notebook-wallace-earns-greene-award.html

GoSlash27
12-31-2009, 07:47 AM
Wallace's award is a no-brainer. He should be in the running for NFL rookie of the year.

Psyychoward86
12-31-2009, 10:06 AM
Oooo shocking :chuckle:. Gratz to Wallace and Farrior. And yeah, it would be great to see Wallace also win the offensive rookie of the year award. He probably wont though with Maclin, Crabtree, Harvin, Moreno, and Beanie Wells in the running. Would be cool to see Heath and #7 get honors to the Lolbowl too

supa_fly_steeler
12-31-2009, 11:38 AM
mike wallace is going to be the best wide reciever of the 2009 class, the only guys that have better stats are the starters, and there not that much more than wallace.

i hope he keeps tearing up defences in years to come :tt:

zulater
12-31-2009, 12:58 PM
I was worried that the offense would miss Nate Washington this season. Not only wasn't he missed, Wallace proved to be an upgrade. ( sorry Nate) The sky's the limit for this kid. He's starting to run better routes, and when he learns the game with his speed, watch out league.

GoSlash27
12-31-2009, 01:13 PM
I was worried that the offense would miss Nate Washington this season. Not only wasn't he missed, Wallace proved to be an upgrade. ( sorry Nate) The sky's the limit for this kid. He's starting to run better routes, and when he learns the game with his speed, watch out league.

I would argue that he already knows his routes as well as any seasoned vet. He's OCD when it comes to preparation. I really admire that about him. He's where he needs to be when he needs to be there, every time. If he was sent the ball as often as Hinesey or 'Tone, he'd have a thousand easy.

markymarc
12-31-2009, 01:42 PM
Congrats to Mike Wallace for winning the Greene award. While I know Wallace is a speed demon, it's going to be scary how good he truly can be once the NFL game slows down for him. What a steal in the 3rd round.