PDA

View Full Version : Bires: Only Steelers 'lay down'

mesaSteeler
12-31-2009, 06:16 AM
Bires: Only Steelers 'lay down'
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1501/2009/december/31/bires-only-steelers-lay-down.html
By: Mike Bires
Beaver County Times

Thursday December 31, 2009 12:13 AM

Times photo by LUCY SCHALY BEST OF CARSON: Lamarr Woodley sacks Bengals QB Carson Palmer.

PITTSBURGH — LaMarr Woodley believes the Steelers’ playoff drive may come up short because “teams will lay down.”

Woodley claims New England and Cincinnati will in essence lose on purpose Sunday because they fear meeting the Steelers in the wild-card round.

Woodley, a blossoming star at outside linebacker, is entitled to his opinion. But as far as how the Patriots and Bengals approach their final game of the regular season, it’s no business of the Steelers.

There is no rule prohibiting NFL teams that have already clinched playoff berths from pulling their starters for all or parts of games that mean little to them.

Last week, Indianapolis coach Jim Caldwell was questioned and criticized for yanking his starters — superstar quarterback Peyton Manning in particular — against the New York Jets. Had the Colts won that game, the Steelers’ playoff chances would be much better than they are right now.

Critics ripped Caldwell for not only ruining the Colts’ chances for an unbeaten season but, more importantly, for compromising the integrity of the game.

Obviously, Woodley is questioning the integrity of the Patriots and Bengals, who may both have to win in order for the Steelers (8-7) to qualify for the playoffs.

“All of them will lay down. No one wants to see Pittsburgh in there,” Woodley said.

Woodley may be right about teams fearing the Steelers. Still, that doesn’t mean Bill Belichick or Marvin Lewis are wrong if they pull their star QBs (Tom Brady and Carson Palmer) or other starters at any point in their games against Houston (8-7) or the Jets (8-7).

The top priority for Belichick and Lewis is to have their teams prepared as best as possible for their wild-card games next weekend.

If they want to rest starters for fear of them getting hurt and missing the playoffs, then that’s their prerogative.
Advertisement Click here

In fact, that’s exactly what the Steelers did in the last week of the 2004 regular season in a game that directly impacted the second of two AFC wild-card spots.

In that game at Buffalo, the Steelers, 14-1 at the time, didn’t start Ben Roethlisberger or Jerome Bettis.

Hines Ward only played a quarter. Troy Polamalu was pulled early. Even Brian St. Pierre, a third-team quarterback, replaced Tommy Maddox late in the third quarter.

As it turned out, the Steelers won 29-24 and eliminated the Bills.

The outcome is irrelevant. The fact of the matter is that the Steelers didn’t play key players for fear of them getting hurt.

That’s exactly what Tony Dungy did in ’04 by starting Jim Sorgi in the last game against Denver, which routed the Colts and claimed the final wild-card spot.

That’s what Caldwell did this past Sunday by benching Manning, Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark and other Indy starters in the third quarter.

It’s what Belichick and Lewis might do this Sunday.

If by chance the Steelers win in Miami and get into the playoffs because other teams in the hunt lose their games, more power to them.

But if the Steelers fail to quality, even if they beat the Dolphins, they have no one to blame but themselves.

When you lose to Kansas City, Oakland and Cleveland down the stretch, maybe you don’t deserve to be in the playoffs.

If anyone is guilty of “laying down,” it’s the Steelers for the way they played against the Chiefs, Raiders and Browns.

Mike Bires can be reached online at mbires@timesonline.com

SteelKid212
12-31-2009, 08:55 AM
Bires: Only Steelers 'lay down'
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1501/2009/december/31/bires-only-steelers-lay-down.html

But if the Steelers fail to quality, even if they beat the Dolphins, they have no one to blame but themselves.

When you lose to Kansas City, Oakland and Cleveland down the stretch, maybe you don’t deserve to be in the playoffs.

If anyone is guilty of “laying down,” it’s the Steelers for the way they played against the Chiefs, Raiders and Browns.

Mike Bires can be reached online at mbires@timesonline.com

unfortunately, he is right.... :doh:

lets just hope woodley continues unleashing hell this sunday against miami and that the steelers pull it off. :tt03:

mulldog24
12-31-2009, 09:37 AM
I think we can and will beat the Dolphins but even then it's a long shot that we get in to the playoffs!

LVSteelersfan
12-31-2009, 05:53 PM
Keep the faith. Keep the faith. I want the Steelers to stomp Miami in the ground because they have done that to no one this year. If they don't make the playoffs, so be it. But we need at least one butt whoopin' from the Steelers this year. I hope Troy plays because Carter is not good enough to handle the wild cat.

wardisgreat
12-31-2009, 06:09 PM
This Miami team scares me, Henne will exploit our porous secondary.
I just hope all our infighting stops and Ben doesn't give up on us again.

supa_fly_steeler
12-31-2009, 06:29 PM
lets hope ryan clark destroys the convict williams, he deserves the due of being destroyed, some needs to stop the ***** tackling and put devastating hits on the field for
glory
victory
success

HometownGal
01-01-2010, 07:33 AM
Keep the faith. Keep the faith. I want the Steelers to stomp Miami in the ground because they have done that to no one this year. If they don't make the playoffs, so be it. But we need at least one butt whoopin' from the Steelers this year. I hope Troy plays because Carter is not good enough to handle the wild cat.

I think the Broncs and Vikes games can be considered beat downs, but other than those two games, you're right.

Doesn't look like Troy is going to play, so Carter will have to really step up his play to counteract their wildcat.

Whether they get into the playoffs or not this season - whatever they've got to do to win - DO IT.

steel striker
01-01-2010, 07:54 AM
For some reason I think we will sneak into the post season and, I just think that big win against the pack was something special. Call me crazy but, I just got that feeling.

T.Richardson
01-01-2010, 09:00 PM
lets hope ryan clark destroys the convict williams, he deserves the due of being destroyed, some needs to stop the ***** tackling and put devastating hits on the field for
glory
victory
success

Are you talking about Ricky Williams?? Im pretty sure he isnt a convict..

zulater
01-01-2010, 09:12 PM
Are you talking about Ricky Williams?? Im pretty sure he isnt a convict..

Not a convict, just a stoner. :smoker:

AllD
01-01-2010, 10:10 PM
I guarantee that Miami is not going to lay down. The Steelers better look in the mirror before they point fingers.

solardave
01-02-2010, 05:59 AM
"Obviously, Woodley is questioning the integrity of the Patriots and Bengals, who may both have to win in order for the Steelers (8-7) to qualify for the playoffs."

I agree mostly with this guy except for the above statement. Neither one of these teams has much integrity to question. Certainly not the Patriots!!!Look at all the problem players the Bengals have adopted over the last few years. The only one who turned around is Chris Henry and tragedy struck.Larry Johnson will bring them down eventually.

desertsteel
01-02-2010, 09:54 AM
This Miami team scares me, Henne will exploit our porous secondary.
I just hope all our infighting stops and Ben doesn't give up on us again.
Ben give up? You're a moron.