PDA

View Full Version : Shame On Any Steelers Fan Who Thinks That Pittsburghs Season Is Over

mesaSteeler
01-02-2010, 10:49 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/318252-shame-on-any-steelers-fan-who-thinks-that-pittsburghs-season-is-over

Shame On Any Steelers Fan Who Thinks That Pittsburghs Season Is Over
Timothy Kessler

Correspondent

The year was 2005. The Pittsburgh Steelers started the season with a record of 7-2, not much different than this season’s 6-2 start. They then went on a three game losing streak to bring their record to 7-5, hurting their playoff chances in the process.

Sound familiar?

They needed to win their final four games that year to capture the final spot in an extremely tight AFC playoff race.

A lot of people doubted it would happen. A lot more people said that even if they did get in, they would not go very far.

Mere weeks after being all but counted out, not only did they win their final four games… the Steelers, taking the sixth and final seed into the playoffs, became the first team ever to win a Super Bowl without playing a single home playoff game.

After becoming the first sixth seed ever to win both a divisional playoff game and a conference championship, they defeated the NFC champion Seattle Seahawks in Super Bowl XL to secure their league-tying fifth Super Bowl title.

In doing so, becoming the very first sixth seeded team to win it all… beating the AFC’s third seed, first seed, and second seed, before beating the NFC’s top rated seed.

Doubters plagued that season just the same as this. Its human nature and it is understandable. But what I can't understand is how Steelers fans themselves can give up before their team is officially out, with that season still fresh in our minds.

Have you forgotten the Steelers magic?

They showed flashes of it throughout last season, culminating in their final drive, on their way to their sixth Lombardi Trophy. Santonio Holmes’ touchdown catch was one for the ages, and every bit as magical as the immaculate reception.

And no Steelers fan can tell me that Mike Wallace’s game winning touchdown against Green Bay did not bring back memories of the Super Bowl. Nor can they tell me that the Steelers didn't have luck on their side after watching Baltimore struggle to unsuccessfully keep those six points on the board at the beginning of the fourth quarter a week ago.

The pieces are falling into place, one way or another. And I, for one, believe that anything is possible especially when considering the Steelers, who have proven over and over again that they are more than capable of bucking the odds.

I wasn't surprised to see some "so called" Steelers fans jump ship during their five game slump. Every great team has them... the bandwagon fans.

What has surprised me is why so many more fans have given up on the season before the Steelers are mathematically out. Especially now that glimpses of the magic has reappeared.

I have seen it time after time, in one article after another. Very well known and usually supportive Steelers fans have given up hope.

And although there is nothing wrong with accepting the inevitable, it is also ok to believe in something that may seem highly unlikely. It’s called having faith. We do it everyday of our lives.

What the Steelers need the most right now is support. And if they can’t get it from their own fans, who is going to give it to them? Isn't that exactly what fans are supposed to be for?

Never give up hope. Believe it can be done and it may just happen. The Pittsburgh Steelers were certainly down, but they were never out.

And so what if they are relying on other teams to get in. That is no reason to think they can't.

A holiday miracle is in the works. Keep the faith.

#1 Big Ben Fan
01-02-2010, 11:18 AM
I don't think its over as long as they have a shot then I will remain hopeful. I'm not expecting them to make it since the Steelers need a ton of help. I think we will beat the Dolphins but I don't know if the teams we need to lose will lose their games. I'm hoping they do for sure.

Steelers>NFL
01-02-2010, 11:38 AM
They have been so inconsistant and underacheived this season.
Hard to see them break out of the funk anytime soon this season.

KeiselPower99
01-02-2010, 11:50 AM
Truth is in 2005 we controlled our own playoff destiny. This year we need 2 teams to lose and us to win.

mesaSteeler
01-02-2010, 12:00 PM
Truth is in 2005 we controlled our own playoff destiny. This year we need 2 teams to lose and us to win.

Gotta agree this isn't not 2005 again and the team is not playing now like it did then. Back in 2005 we could dominate other teams with a power running game. Now we depend on last second miracle plays to win and we will lose as many of those as we win. Oh that's right we are 8-7 aren't we? More proof as if any were needed that our current pass first crap offense is a loser. I hope we get into the playoffs but let's just say I'm not betting the house that we will. Even we get into the playoffs this team isn't good enough to go anywhere.

stb_steeler
01-02-2010, 12:14 PM
Not to mention 2005 wasnt a back to back SB year. This year it would of been....

steeltheone
01-02-2010, 12:39 PM
Ive never thought going into a game thinking we would or could not win

Psyychoward86
01-02-2010, 12:50 PM
This is a lot worse than the '05 season, but it's about the same as the '08 Eagles season. At 9-6-1, they got to the Championship game. IF we get in (IF), maybe we can get as far? First things first though, we need the right cards to fall into place...

mesaSteeler
01-02-2010, 01:12 PM
This is a lot worse than the '05 season, but it's about the same as the '08 Eagles season. At 9-6-1, they got to the Championship game. IF we get in (IF), maybe we can get as far? First things first though, we need the right cards to fall into place...

The right cards? More like drawing on an inside straight flush.

smokin3000gt
01-02-2010, 01:19 PM
As long as there is still a shot I am optimistic. For me 2004-2005 was insane with work and I wasn't able to follow the season closely so correct me if I'm wrong, but besides winning the last 4 games didn't we need help from other teams as well?

GoSlash27
01-02-2010, 01:21 PM
"Over"?! *NOTHING* (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q47bpOCTcaY)is "over" until WE say it's over!
/Germans, Pearl Harbor, etc.

stillers4me
01-02-2010, 01:22 PM
We're not dead, yet. But I'd feel so much better with a healthy Troy and Aaron Smith.

SteelKid212
01-02-2010, 01:24 PM

dam right.... :doh:

Psyychoward86
01-02-2010, 01:30 PM

at least we dont need any miracles :noidea:

Pentheon
01-02-2010, 01:38 PM
I been saying it since our first few loses in the 5 game losing streak that were not out of it till were mathematically eliminated.

Don't give up people.

If we don't make it this year, theres always next year, can't ever give up on your team.

GoSlash27
01-02-2010, 01:47 PM
I read this headline as "Shame on a nuh who try to run game on a nuh" :toofunny:
Hut one hut two hut three... hut!
/Wu Tang!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf3jzDb4H7o)

GBMelBlount
01-02-2010, 01:58 PM
As long as there is still a shot I am optimistic.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KX5jNnDMfxA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KX5jNnDMfxA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Eztarget
01-02-2010, 02:02 PM
The playoffs are not out of the question but logic says that Cincy, NE will rest their starters and the Broncos, Jets, Ravens, and Houston will not since they are playing for their playoff hopes.

It all really comes down to the three loses against KC, Cleveland, and Oakland. Win just ONE of those games and we would control our destiny.

AllD
01-02-2010, 02:12 PM
In 2005 we took a winning streak into the playoffs in order to make it and then kept winning. In 2009 we just broke out of a 5 game losing streak and have won two in a row. I am sure no other team is shaking in their boots with our secondary, even though they would rather play a weaker and less experienced Jets in the playoffs than the Steelers.

HometownGal
01-02-2010, 03:44 PM
Oh that's right we are 8-7 aren't we? More proof as if any were needed that our current pass first crap offense is a loser. I hope we get into the playoffs but let's just say I'm not betting the house that we will. Even we get into the playoffs this team isn't good enough to go anywhere.

Well - we would be 12-3, AFCN Champs and in control of our destiny if it weren't for our pourous secondary who can't hold the lead that the "pass first crap offense" gave them. :coffee:

HughC
01-02-2010, 03:45 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/318252-shame-on-any-steelers-fan-who-thinks-that-pittsburghs-season-is-over

Shame On Any Steelers Fan Who Thinks That Pittsburghs Season Is Over
Timothy Kessler

Doubters plagued that season just the same as this. Its human nature and it is understandable. But what I can't understand is how Steelers fans themselves can give up before their team is officially out, with that season still fresh in our minds.

I wasn't surprised to see some "so called" Steelers fans jump ship during their five game slump. Every great team has them... the bandwagon fans.

What has surprised me is why so many more fans have given up on the season before the Steelers are mathematically out. Especially now that glimpses of the magic has reappeared.

I have seen it time after time, in one article after another. Very well known and usually supportive Steelers fans have given up hope.

And although there is nothing wrong with accepting the inevitable, it is also ok to believe in something that may seem highly unlikely. It’s called having faith. We do it everyday of our lives.

What the Steelers need the most right now is support. And if they can’t get it from their own fans, who is going to give it to them? Isn't that exactly what fans are supposed to be for?

Never give up hope. Believe it can be done and it may just happen. The Pittsburgh Steelers were certainly down, but they were never out.

And so what if they are relying on other teams to get in. That is no reason to think they can't.

A holiday miracle is in the works. Keep the faith.

Sorry, but I don't particularly care for somebody preaching to me how fans should and should not react. A little bit of negativity is not always a bad thing, if for no other reason than to send a message that the performance and results had been unacceptable. If every fan cheers and is happy regardless of the outcome, then the message they are sending to both the players and the front office is that it's okay if you don't win, and losing to teams like the Browns, Raiders and Chiefs is acceptable.

On a side note, if the author is going to call out the entire fanbase for not remaining positive after the Cleveland game, then how about doing the same for Hines Ward after he said the "playoff chances were pretty much over" after that game. Seems to me that's a lot worse than fans venting after a bad loss.

StainlessStill
01-02-2010, 03:48 PM
Obviously this writer NEVER looked at this board! We've been having every playoff scenario POSSIBLE the past 6 weeks! :helmet:

Tx777
01-02-2010, 04:17 PM
I got my hopes high and if the chips do fall in our favor im going to go out and get my Steelers tattoo that I've been wanting for the past few years and is just me but has this week dragged waiting on sunday

StainlessStill
01-02-2010, 04:20 PM
I got my hopes high and if the chips do fall in our favor im going to go out and get my Steelers tattoo that I've been wanting for the past few years and is just me but has this week dragged waiting on sunday

Why wait and only get it if they make the playoffs? Get that S.O.B tomorrow! I had to wait a lifetime to get the 5th trophy on my 4 Super Bowls. The 6th followed REALLY FAST:tt04: Don't wait or only get it if they make the playoffs. Go get it ASAP!

Fire Haley
01-02-2010, 04:32 PM
My hopes are high

http://www.txroadrunners.com/images/pics/Funny7/flexible_stripper.jpg

Jmat
01-02-2010, 04:32 PM
In other words, Shame on any Steeler fan who is being a realist.

cubanstogie
01-02-2010, 04:40 PM
In other words, Shame on any Steeler fan who is being a realist.

exactly, just because some are not "homers" doesn't mean they are any less of a fan. The fact is we need a lot of help, and if you look at the spreads in the games the odds of 2 big upsets are not good.

steel striker
01-02-2010, 07:34 PM
Well I for some strange reason I think the only game to worry about is the bungles vs jets. I really think we are going to beat the phins plus the cheats will win as well. Sanchez has three picks left in him. I think we will get in. I know thats alot that must happen but, it could happen.

Shellshock
01-02-2010, 09:17 PM
That looks like the stipper who jammed up the Duke lacrosse team.

GoSlash27
01-03-2010, 03:49 AM
That looks like the stipper who jammed up the Duke lacrosse team.

http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo7/smallfri001/austin-powers.jpg
That's a man, baby!