PDA

View Full Version : Bengals could get help from the Steelers Sunday.

steelerchad
01-02-2010, 07:31 PM
Most people are under the assumption that if NE wins they will clinch the #3 seed. This is not completely true. That spot could still be up for grabs by the time the Bengals play Sunday night and a Steeler win over the Dolphins would help that cause for the Bengals. In turn, this could give the Bengals motivation to actually play for the win.
Here is how that spot will be determined If both the Pats and Bengals win on Sunday, which the Steelers desperately need. The tiebreaker is currently down to the strength of victory with the Pats opponents having 73 wins and the Bengals having 68. This could change by the outcome of games Sunday. For instance if the Steelers defeat the Dolphins this would count as +2 for the Bengals as they've beaten the Steelers twice. In addition, the Pats would get nothing added to their total as they have beaten the Dolphins once this season. The Bengals need to make up 5 games and the below scenario would give the Bengals the edge, making Sunday nights game a win and lock up the #3 seed propostion.

Steelers d. Dolphins - Bengals +2.
Ravens d. Raiders - Bengals +1 as the Bengals beat them twice and the Pats once.
Colts d. Bills - no points, but this would prevent NE from getting +2.
Browns d. Jaguars - +2 Bengals and the Pats would be prevented from a +1.
Packers d. Cards +1 Bengals.
Chiefs d. Broncos +1 Bengals.
Seahawks d. Titans - no point for the Pats.
Saints d. Panthers - no point for the Pats.

This scenario would be a +7 for the Bengals going into Sunday nights game making the #3 seed possible even with a Pats win. One of the above points could swing the other way and they could still get the #3. But if 2 of them swung to the Pats and they ended up tied again the next tiebreaker would be strength of schedule which the Pats would win.

Merchant
01-02-2010, 08:18 PM
my head hurts.

Preacher
01-02-2010, 08:25 PM
my head hurts.
http://www.jasonlove.com/cartoons/00435-funny-cartoons-math-equation.gif

:chuckle:

Psyychoward86
01-02-2010, 08:28 PM
im not even gonna bother...

Nadroj 20
01-02-2010, 09:43 PM
Ummm, yea if you say so....:chuckle:

HughC
01-02-2010, 09:58 PM
Somehow, I don't think that the Strength of Victory tiebreaker is affecting the game plan of either the Bengals or the Patriots.

steelerchad
01-02-2010, 11:27 PM
Somehow, I don't think that the Strength of Victory tiebreaker is affecting the game plan of either the Bengals or the Patriots.

Really? I can assure you that's the tie-breaker that's being used. So if the scenario plays out you can bet it will make a difference in how the Bengals play the game, so I'm not sure you know what the heck you're talking about.

steelerchad
01-02-2010, 11:31 PM
Ummm, yea if you say so....:chuckle:

I don't say so. It is so. Maybe a longshot, but so are our chances in general and this could help give a little hope for the Bengals to play hard.

Mr. Dô
01-03-2010, 12:21 AM
Most people are under the assumption that if NE wins they will clinch the #3 seed. This is not completely true. That spot could still be up for grabs by the time the Bengals play Sunday night and a Steeler win over the Dolphins would help that cause for the Bengals. In turn, this could give the Bengals motivation to actually play for the win.
Here is how that spot will be determined If both the Pats and Bengals win on Sunday, which the Steelers desperately need. The tiebreaker is currently down to the strength of victory with the Pats opponents having 73 wins and the Bengals having 68. This could change by the outcome of games Sunday. For instance if the Steelers defeat the Dolphins this would count as +2 for the Bengals as they've beaten the Steelers twice. In addition, the Pats would get nothing added to their total as they have beaten the Dolphins once this season. The Bengals need to make up 5 games and the below scenario would give the Bengals the edge, making Sunday nights game a win and lock up the #3 seed propostion.

Steelers d. Dolphins - Bengals +2.
Ravens d. Raiders - Bengals +1 as the Bengals beat them twice and the Pats once.
Colts d. Bills - no points, but this would prevent NE from getting +2.
Browns d. Jaguars - +2 Bengals and the Pats would be prevented from a +1.
Packers d. Cards +1 Bengals.
Chiefs d. Broncos +1 Bengals.
Seahawks d. Titans - no point for the Pats.
Saints d. Panthers - no point for the Pats.

This scenario would be a +7 for the Bengals going into Sunday nights game making the #3 seed possible even with a Pats win. One of the above points could swing the other way and they could still get the #3. But if 2 of them swung to the Pats and they ended up tied again the next tiebreaker would be strength of schedule which the Pats would win.I gave that scenario in this

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/playoffscenario?algorithm=custom&16=54145555

and the pats still have 3rd seed

Rotorhead
01-03-2010, 12:36 AM
I think it has been determined the Yahoo Playoff generator is only accurate up to a certain point.

Mr. Dô
01-03-2010, 01:08 AM
correct me if I'm wrong the strength of schedule is the total of wins and losses by all of the team's opponents? I never got the whole strength tie breaker part

Mr. Dô
01-03-2010, 01:39 AM
Cincinnati - 78

Green Bay 11-5
Baltimore 9-7
Baltimore 9-7
Pittsburgh 9-7
Pittsburgh 9-7
New York Jets 8-8
Chicago 7-9
Cleveland 5-11
Cleveland 5-11
Kansas City 4-12
Detroit 2-14

New England - 83

Baltimore 9-7
Atlanta 9-7
NY Jets 8-8
Houston 8-8
Miami 7-9
Jacksonville 7-9
Tennessee 7-9
Carolina 7-9
Buffalo 5-11
Buffalo 5-11
Tampa Bay 3-13

New England at Houston NE 8 (NE)
Cincinnati at NY Jets Cin 8 NE 1 (CIN)

Chicago Bears at Detroit Lions Negate game for Cin
Atlanta Falcons at Tampa Bay Buccaneers Negate game for NE

Indianapolis Colts at Buffalo Bills NE 2 (Ind)
New Orleans Saints at Carolina Panthers NE 1 (NO)
Tennesee Titans at Seattle Seahawks NE 1 (Sea)

Jacksonville Jaguars at Cleveland Browns Cin 2 NE 1
Pittsburgh Steelers at Miami Dolphins Cin 2 NE 1 (Cle)
Kansas City Chiefs at Denver Broncos Cin 1 (KC)
Baltimore Ravens at Oakland Raiders Cin 2 NE 1 (Bal)

Week 17 games, how many points for either or both teams on the line, and selected winner that would give Bengals more points than the Pats in ()'s

GoSlash27
01-03-2010, 03:40 AM
I was told there would be no math...

steel striker
01-03-2010, 05:44 AM
Even Yoda would be scratching his head. lol Must later understand.

Rick5895
01-03-2010, 07:05 AM
I would rather the Pats beat the texans and the Raiders shock the Rat birds. With all the Denver players not playing today, KC will upset them , then the Cinci game won't matter.

HometownGal
01-03-2010, 07:25 AM
Really - who cares? :noidea:

My only concern at this point is the Steelers winning in Miami and the stars aligning in their favor.

steelerchad
01-03-2010, 08:54 AM
correct me if I'm wrong the strength of schedule is the total of wins and losses by all of the team's opponents? I never got the whole strength tie breaker part

No. The above you stated would be the strength of schedule tiebreaker which comes after the strength of victory tie breaker. Stength of Victory is basically the number of wins of the teams you have beaten. So for the Bengals, they have won 10 games so far. 2 each from the Steelers, Ravens, Browns, plus Packers, Bears, Lions, and Chiefs. Since they beat the Steelers, Ravens and Browns all twice each one of those teams count as 2 wins. So they can gain a possible 10 additional wins today if all 6 teams they have beaten were to win today. They only have an opportunity to earn 9 wins however, as the Bears and Lions play each other today and one will win and one will lose. So there is alreay 1 win in the bag with 8 more possible.

Also, the Yahoo playoff generator is accurate, but not to that level. They do not have the 4th tiebreaker loaded into that system, which is the tiebreaker that is needed to decide this if the Pats and Bengals end up tied.
1. head to head - they didn't play.
2. conference record- they are tied.
3. common opponents - they are tied.
4. strength of victory - if the Bengals make up 6 wins they will get #3. If they end up tied they go to strength of schedule.
5. strength of schedule - Pats will win this if it gets to this. No chance for Bengals on this.

stb_steeler
01-03-2010, 08:55 AM
:doh: I'll wait till the end of Sunday to see :alcohol:

43Hitman
01-03-2010, 09:05 AM
No. The above you stated would be the strength of schedule tiebreaker which comes after the strength of victory tie breaker. Stength of Victory is basically the number of wins of the teams you have beaten. So for the Bengals, they have won 10 games so far. 2 each from the Steelers, Ravens, Browns, plus Packers, Bears, Lions, and Chiefs. Since they beat the Steelers, Ravens and Browns all twice each one of those teams count as 2 wins. So they can gain a possible 10 additional wins today if all 6 teams they have beaten were to win today. They only have an opportunity to earn 9 wins however, as the Bears and Lions play each other today and one will win and one will lose. So there is alreay 1 win in the bag with 8 more possible.

Also, the Yahoo playoff generator is accurate, but not to that level. They do not have the 4th tiebreaker loaded into that system, which is the tiebreaker that is needed to decide this if the Pats and Bengals end up tied.
1. head to head - they didn't play.
2. conference record- they are tied.
3. common opponents - they are tied.
4. strength of victory - if the Bengals make up 6 wins they will get #3. If they end up tied they go to strength of schedule.
5. strength of schedule - Pats will win this if it gets to this. No chance for Bengals on this.

Nice work. Let's hope it all plays out to our favor. :drink:

steelerchad
01-03-2010, 09:36 AM
Really - who cares? :noidea:

My only concern at this point is the Steelers winning in Miami and the stars aligning in their favor.

Really, who cares? I guess you do. If you want the stars to align, this spells it out.