PDA

View Full Version : With our first pick...

Fifty8
01-03-2010, 03:23 PM
Now that the season is almost certainly over (thx patsies, LOL) we defintley should draft the best corner available with our 1st pick.

St33lersguy
01-03-2010, 03:31 PM
Given our draft position with their 1st pick the Pittsburph steelers select Terrence Cody DT Alabama

Steely McSmash
01-03-2010, 04:36 PM
Given our draft position with their 1st pick the Pittsburph steelers select Terrence Cody DT Alabama

Could very well be. I would think they'd bring him in for a visit. If he can maintain his fitness in the offseason, I think he'd be a good pickup.

supa_fly_steeler
01-03-2010, 04:45 PM
If the Steelers let Hamtpon go, they will draft cody, if he stays, and he is only available for round 1 selection they wont.

deminutah
01-03-2010, 06:35 PM
If the Steelers let Hamtpon go, they will draft cody, if he stays, and he is only available for round 1 selection they wont.

Hampton is great but 32, we might not have another shoot at a very strong nose tackle again. I'm not saying let Hampton go, but it would be awesome to have Cody for 2011 when Hampton will be turning 34.

BlackNGold88
01-03-2010, 07:46 PM
http://mgofootball.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/warren.jpg

Venom
01-03-2010, 08:00 PM
CB Joe Haden, Florida Gators

AlleghanyAdams87
01-03-2010, 08:16 PM
Haden won't be there at 18. That is where we will pick

SteelersTilIDie
01-03-2010, 08:24 PM
CB Patrick Robinson, Florida State University

deminutah
01-03-2010, 08:47 PM
Dan Williams is better than Cody

He looks interesting.

Aussie_steeler
01-04-2010, 12:04 AM
We are officially in that grey zone. Need to trade up to get Rolando McClain or Joe Haden.

Sit and look at players like Taylor Mays, Jerry Hughes, Jared Odrick,l some O line talent or loads of 4-3 specific defensive players

Trade down and look at the best NT ( Williams), Guard ( Iupati) or Centre ( Maurkice Pouncey)

Sad that the season is over but now in full draft geek mode.

Steeldude
01-04-2010, 01:42 AM
i would rather have williams over cody. i doubt cody will control his weight.

Steely McSmash
01-04-2010, 11:58 AM

thus the heir to Hampton's throne.....:rofl:

I'm going to spend the afternoon at work visuallizing him jogging around the practice field at St. Vincent's.

littlemac
01-04-2010, 12:21 PM
If top CB'S taken i would take Odrick [6'5'' 305] think Smith same size and desire with him and Hood D line tackles good for next 8 to10 years.:drink. :drink:

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-04-2010, 12:26 PM
I think Cody will be there and it will depend on the interviews done by Tomlin and John Mitchell if they take him.

I think they will want to find out if he is possibly the next Casey Hampton or the next Jimmy Kennedy.

Texasteel
01-04-2010, 03:30 PM
I know I sound like a broken record, but I want an OT that can shift to LT in a year or so in the 1st or 2nd.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-04-2010, 04:33 PM
I know I sound like a broken record, but I want an OT that can shift to LT in a year or so in the 1st or 2nd.

Then.....stop hoping for it or it will never happen. :chair: Start pimping something improbable like C.J. Spiller instead. :chuckle:

Sharkissle29
01-04-2010, 04:35 PM

Such a boring pick!!!!

LOL, i never get excited when we draft OL in the first round but sometimes it has to be done. I'm a big fan of the skills positions..

IMO i dont think we necessarily need to draft OL in the first round or 2

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-04-2010, 04:46 PM
Such a boring pick!!!!

LOL, i never get excited when we draft OL in the first round but sometimes it has to be done. I'm a big fan of the skills positions..

IMO i dont think we necessarily need to draft OL in the first round or 2

Yeah, but you have to ask Jets QB's if they think Ferguson and Mangold were boring picks......or Kyle Orton if Ryan Clady was boring, or Joe Flacco if Michael Oher was a boring pick.

Ben could have used some of those "boring picks", but I guess the key to our O line of the future is Max Starks, Ramon Foster, Tony Hills, AQ Shipley and Kemo. :doh:

Sharkissle29
01-04-2010, 05:51 PM
I really dont think our OL is as bad as everyone says.

IMO, our pass blocking is ABOVE AVERAGE. Our run blocking can use some help, so a nasty pulling guard would be nice....still boring tho :)

Texasteel
01-04-2010, 07:24 PM
I really dont think our OL is as bad as everyone says.

IMO, our pass blocking is ABOVE AVERAGE. Our run blocking can use some help, so a nasty pulling guard would be nice....still boring tho :)

We have a RT that may never play for the Steelers again and a LT that IMO looks weak, slow, and complacent. Besides the fact that our back up OTs look poor to me.

I still say that the offense starts at the line. A good line can make a bad QB look good, and a bad line make a good QB look bad.

But then I am a big fan of the line, on both sides of the ball.

Texasteel
01-04-2010, 07:35 PM
Yeah, but you have to ask Jets QB's if they think Ferguson and Mangold were boring picks......or Kyle Orton if Ryan Clady was boring, or Joe Flacco if Michael Oher was a boring pick.

Ben could have used some of those "boring picks", but I guess the key to our O line of the future is Max Starks, Ramon Foster, Tony Hills, AQ Shipley and Kemo. :doh:

Add that scares the hell out of me.

MasterOfPuppets
01-04-2010, 07:42 PM
We have a RT that may never play for the Steelers again and a LT that IMO looks weak, slow, and complacent. Besides the fact that our back up OTs look poor to me.

I still say that the offense starts at the line. A good line can make a bad QB look good, and a bad line make a good QB look bad.

But then I am a big fan of the line, on both sides of the ball.
well it looks like this year is going uncapped so colon will be a RFA once again... mike iupati might be a good option at 18. ... they highlighted him a few times at the bowlgame, dude is definitely a mauler at guard and could be a better RT than colon. thats the first i seen him play live, made a fan out of me....:thumbsup: i'd love to see him and colon paired up on the right side. starks isn't going anywhere for a few years yet, so not much point in going LT this year, i'd rather see someone stronger replace essex in the middle...colon or iupati fits that ticket. and essex becomes the top reserve at tackle.
watch him destroy mauluga.
.<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PWdvfRhTruw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PWdvfRhTruw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

807 plays zero sacks allowed...
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nhFMZROcNZ8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nhFMZROcNZ8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

BlackNGold88
01-04-2010, 08:16 PM
Isn't he a guard? You don't take guards that early in the 1st round, hell most of the time you don't period.

lionslicer
01-04-2010, 08:17 PM
When is the last time we drafted an Offensive Lineman in the first round? we need one of Faneca caliber again.

MasterOfPuppets
01-04-2010, 08:26 PM
Isn't he a guard? You don't take guards that early in the 1st round, hell most of the time you don't period.
that was before guards started making 6 mill + A year.... brandon albert was a 15 th pick.....:noidea:

Texasteel
01-04-2010, 08:43 PM
well it looks like this year is going uncapped so colon will be a RFA once again... mike iupati might be a good option at 18. ... they highlighted him a few times at the bowlgame, dude is definitely a mauler at guard and could be a better RT than colon. thats the first i seen him play live, made a fan out of me....:thumbsup: i'd love to see him and colon paired up on the right side. starks isn't going anywhere for a few years yet, so not much point in going LT this year, i'd rather see someone stronger replace essex in the middle...colon or iupati fits that ticket. and essex becomes the top reserve at tackle.
watch him destroy mauluga.

I know what you are saying about Starks, but I can dream can't I.

I haven't seen Iupati play but the way you and a couple other talk I guess I will have to watch for him between now and the draft.

Nighthawk
01-04-2010, 08:48 PM
My list for where we should be picking

1) Earl Thomas (ball hawking FS)
2) Taylor Mays (big hitter, athletic freak and great speed, and I think he can turn into a good coverage guy)
3) Cody (Hamptons replacement eventually, especially if we chose not to resign)
4) Warren (Upgrade at CB)

MasterOfPuppets
01-04-2010, 09:10 PM
I know what you are saying about Starks, but I can dream can't I.

I haven't seen Iupati play but the way you and a couple other talk I guess I will have to watch for him between now and the draft. my way of thinking is i'd rather have the best guard on the board that can most likely successfully transition to RT if need be, than the 4th or 5th best tackle on the board who most likely will be a RT anyway...:noidea: ...this team STILL has problems running the ball in short yardage situations... why not try to fix that and get a guy that can start and help your team immediatly rather than take a flyer on the position later on and get a guy / guys who can't even earn a game day uni ( hills, urbik) ? iupati gives the oppurtunity to upgrade 2 positions if he can beat colon out at RT, and moving colon to RG.

check out this scouting report on him...
http://www.sidelinescouting.net/rankings/og.shtml

taztroy43
01-04-2010, 11:54 PM
Mike Lupati looks good!!! I wouldn't mind seeing him in black and gold!!! Any chance on him being there in the 2nd round???

Rdp616
01-07-2010, 12:29 PM
I think will do somthing like we did with Troy and trade up to hopfully get someone like Hayden. Mays will be gone.

Vincent
01-07-2010, 12:46 PM
Dan Williams is better than Cody

Some "draft experts" agree. I think either would be good additions. IMHO, if they go Cody, they're signaling 3-4 going forward. If Williams, 4-3 could be on the horizon.

350+ NTs are all the rage in the AFCN. :chuckle:

Texasteel
01-07-2010, 03:01 PM
Mike Lupati looks good!!! I wouldn't mind seeing him in black and gold!!! Any chance on him being there in the 2nd round???

I don't know, he seems to be on hiw way up. The Senior Bowl may tell us a lot.

TheWarDen86
01-07-2010, 03:03 PM
"With their first pick in the 2010 NFL draft the Pittsburgh Steelers select Ndamukong Suh; DL out of Nebraska.....because the Warden prayed his ass off that Suh would fall to us."

I know, I know..

Texasteel
01-07-2010, 03:08 PM
"With their first pick in the 2010 NFL draft the Pittsburgh Steelers select Ndamukong Suh; DL out of Nebraska.....because the Warden prayed his ass off that Suh would fall to us."

I know, I know..

Earth to Warden, Earth to Warden.:wink02:

TheWarDen86
01-07-2010, 03:19 PM
Earth to Warden, Earth to Warden.:wink02:

lol. C'mon. I guy can dream, can't he? :wink02:

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-07-2010, 03:42 PM
Some "draft experts" agree. I think either would be good additions. IMHO, if they go Cody, they're signaling 3-4 going forward. If Williams, 4-3 could be on the horizon.

350+ NTs are all the rage in the AFCN. :chuckle:

Williams is something like 325lbs. Still big enough to play NT. I just saw him getting pushed around by double teams of Va. Tech in the bowl game.....which frightens me.

Looks like he gets too high at times and doesnt anchor well vs the double team, where Cody still keeps crawling forward like a John Deere tractor.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-07-2010, 03:47 PM

Iupati will probably play guard in the NFL. He is just too massive and a better mauler than being out on the edge. Kind of like Carl Nicks of the Saints. He should be one of the top 2 prospects at that position and probably gone by the 2nd.

St33lersguy
01-07-2010, 04:01 PM

No worries, just put him on the PUP list and have him conditioned for the season :thumbsup:

Aussie_steeler
01-07-2010, 10:35 PM
With our first pick................we trade down with the Vikings so that they can take Colt McCoy to sit behind Brett Favre for one year to then become his heir apparent. ( Steelers #18 for Vikings #30 & #62)

The Steelers take Mike Iupati OG or Maurkice Pouncey OC ( the best at their positions) and then use the two second round picks to take a safety and a linebacker.

Only problem with this scenario is that Andy Reid loves to draft O linemen in the first. I think Iupati is a man that Reid and the Eagles would drool over.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-07-2010, 11:09 PM
If we keep our #18 pick, then I think we will take Terrance Cody (I hope).

Cody is a huge lane clogger that reminds me a lot of Hampton. If the Steelers stick with the 3-4, he's perfect for it because our linemen are asked to take up blockers and let the linebackers make plays (when they aren't being held).

I think Cody could get a lot of playing time his rookie year, rotation with Hampton to keep a fresh set of legs out there at NT at all times.

mulldog24
01-08-2010, 10:43 AM
With our first pick................we trade down with the Vikings so that they can take Colt McCoy to sit behind Brett Favre for one year to then become his heir apparent. ( Steelers #18 for Vikings #30 & #62)

The Steelers take Mike Iupati OG or Maurkice Pouncey OC ( the best at their positions) and then use the two second round picks to take a safety and a linebacker.

Only problem with this scenario is that Andy Reid loves to draft O linemen in the first. I think Iupati is a man that Reid and the Eagles would drool over.

I really like this scenario Aussie! Even if Iupati isn't there we could get Pouncey. Maybe even get Weatherspoon(lb Missouri) there and get a safety and guard in the 2nd like Asamoah(G Illinois) and Darrell Stucky(S Kansas). Depending on where there stock is come draft time.:popcorn:

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-08-2010, 11:28 AM

If we traded with the Vikings (assuming they pick somewhere near #30)...they would get our 1st round #18 pick and we would take their 1st round #30 and 2nd round #62 pick.

With that scenerio we could probably get CB Robinson in the first...Safety Nate Allen and OT Jason Fox in the second round.

Might even be looking at OLB Hughes in the first (at 6'2 258) he can play inside and outside.

revefsreleets
01-08-2010, 11:47 AM
I'm undecided here...I guess I need to know more about the progress of the kids playing CB we drafted last year. As things stand this very second, I'd say CB is our most obvious and glaring need. Gay isn't the answer, and his poor performance drug Ike down. We need a kid who can cover one-on-one. Safety is a not-so-distant second, BUT I still have visions of Troy in his first year, flying blind, taking bad angles, whiffing on tackles and missing assignments. Obviously he turned out fine, but I think there's a steeper learning curve at Safety and if Troy goes down again, we are probably going to have some defensive struggles regardless. I'd almost say CB in 1, NT in 2, S in 3 and let the kid learn. Dump Carter and hope Mundy improves for depth.

I'm not sure what the OT FA situation is, but we need some depth along the line. Hills scares me as a LT back-up, and Starks is what he is....and if he goes down, an okay situation gets dramatically worse.

supa_fly_steeler
01-08-2010, 11:48 AM
i hate drafting o-lineman in the first, it is boring to watch them get better and better, but i would realise why we would take on.

It be awesome for patrick robinson, if their is two peeps i want it is robinson and micah johnson (cant stop going on about them haha just pimping my guys llol)

Gay isn't the answer, and his poor performance drug Ike down.

not buying your sentence here, Taylor has always been horrible he is putrid, Polamalu bails him out, he had a complete ditto of the 2006 season in which he got benched for Colclough or Townsend can't remember and don't want to remember.

Patrick Robinson is Ike Taylor frame, a little bit slower but better at tackling and catching.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-08-2010, 12:46 PM
I'm undecided here...I guess I need to know more about the progress of the kids playing CB we drafted last year. As things stand this very second, I'd say CB is our most obvious and glaring need. Gay isn't the answer, and his poor performance drug Ike down. We need a kid who can cover one-on-one. Safety is a not-so-distant second, BUT I still have visions of Troy in his first year, flying blind, taking bad angles, whiffing on tackles and missing assignments. Obviously he turned out fine, but I think there's a steeper learning curve at Safety and if Troy goes down again, we are probably going to have some defensive struggles regardless. I'd almost say CB in 1, NT in 2, S in 3 and let the kid learn. Dump Carter and hope Mundy improves for depth.

I'm not sure what the OT FA situation is, but we need some depth along the line. Hills scares me as a LT back-up, and Starks is what he is....and if he goes down, an okay situation gets dramatically worse.

Only problem is that I dont many a 3-4 NT's, outside of the 1st round, that I would want until around the 4th-5th round, where I like Torrell Troupe quite a bit...or maybe gamble on Cam Thomas in the 6th-7th round.

With the scenerio I laid out we could concievably have a draft like this:

1) CB Pat Robinson, Florida State
2) FS Nate Allen, South Florida (plays both safety positions)
2b) OT Jason Fox, Miami
3) ILB Micah Johnson, Kentucky
3b) OLB O''Brien Schofield, Wisconsin
4) NT Torell Troup, Central Florida
5) RB Joique Bell, Wayne St.
5b) Kicker Leigh Tiffin, Alabama
6) QB John Skelton, Fordham
7) TE Nate Byham, Pittsburgh

Grav
01-09-2010, 06:13 AM
Earl Thomas

SteelerNation12
01-09-2010, 06:45 AM
Earl Thomas now that he has declared would be a perfect fit here.

theplatypus
01-09-2010, 07:06 AM

I know, I know..

I've been having that same pipe dream for a few weeks.

MasterOfPuppets
01-09-2010, 05:18 PM

actually another problem with that scenerio is colt McCoy isn't going in the first rd..... he's last years colt brennan . i'm guessin 4 th rd tops...:noidea:

Aussie_steeler
01-09-2010, 05:25 PM
actually another problem with that scenerio is colt McCoy isn't going in the first rd..... he's last years colt brennan . i'm guessin 4 th rd tops...:noidea:

I am not sure he is colt brennan. He fits a West coast offence system. A couple of days after posting that he has again broken down with injury and I now agree that he is not mid first round talent.

I think he is a 2nd round prospect for a team that doesnt want to break the bank with a top 10 QB. DOes a team like St Louis look for a 2nd round QB because they would be crazy to pass SUH as the #1 pick.

I really believe he and Jevan Snead will be over valued by a few teams. It happens every draft. That can be the only reason that Jevan Snead declared.

MasterOfPuppets
01-09-2010, 05:55 PM
I am not sure he is colt brennan. He fits a West coast offence system. A couple of days after posting that he has again broken down with injury and I now agree that he is not mid first round talent.

I think he is a 2nd round prospect for a team that doesnt want to break the bank with a top 10 QB. DOes a team like St Louis look for a 2nd round QB because they would be crazy to pass SUH as the #1 pick.

I really believe he and Jevan Snead will be over valued by a few teams. It happens every draft. That can be the only reason that Jevan Snead declared.

lol.... there was some hawaii homers here last year that used very same reasoning. the bottom line is McCoy doesn't have an nfl arm and no experience under center and reading defenses....just like brennan. maybe denver will take a shot at him since mcdaniels doesn't believe in throwing the ball over 10 yards.....:chuckle:

Aussie_steeler
01-09-2010, 06:06 PM
lol.... there was some hawaii homers here last year that used very same reasoning. the bottom line is McCoy doesn't have an nfl arm and no experience under center and reading defenses....just like brennan. maybe denver will take a shot at him since mcdaniels doesn't believe in throwing the ball over 10 yards.....:chuckle:

I am definitely not a texas homer....you know I have no alleginance to any program...... i just think someone falls for his hype and the texas hype.

I am extremely cautious of texas players as some seem to find it hard to transition to the nfl and maintain the lofty expectations placed on them( something about relaxed academics???). For some reason Longhorn players seem to be able maintain the momentum through the draft process. In my view McCoy will continue the trend. The 2010 QB class is not stunning so someone is going to overpay somewhere. WIll it be with McCoy or Snead? I am guessing it will be McCoy.

I dont see him having a stellar NFL career. I do think that Earl Thomas is one Texas player who will buck that trend.

MasterOfPuppets
01-09-2010, 06:48 PM
I am definitely not a texas homer....you know I have no alleginance to any program...... i just think someone falls for his hype and the texas hype.

I am extremely cautious of texas players as some seem to find it hard to transition to the nfl and maintain the lofty expectations placed on them( something about relaxed academics???). For some reason Longhorn players seem to be able maintain the momentum through the draft process. In my view McCoy will continue the trend. The 2010 QB class is not stunning so someone is going to overpay somewhere. WIll it be with McCoy or Snead? I am guessing it will be McCoy.

I dont see him having a stellar NFL career. I do think that Earl Thomas is one Texas player who will buck that trend.
i'd put my money on snead. i seen it written that he has the strongest arm in this class. he's just not very accurate. that would make him kyle boller ...:chuckle: snead came out this year because every player thats worth a damn on ole miss is also departing.

Aussie_steeler
01-09-2010, 07:08 PM
i'd put my money on snead. i seen it written that he has the strongest arm in this class. he's just not very accurate. that would make him kyle boller ...:chuckle: snead came out this year because every player thats worth a damn on ole miss is also departing.

I think Mallet and Locker going back also helped. He knows he is probably the 4th prospect ranked QB behind Clausen, Bradford, Tebow. More money this year then next year to be made

If they are all leaving Ole Miss then Jerrelle Powe NT is an interesting prospect. Giant of an NT, trouble is he cant read by all reports and has been academically ineligible for most of his college life. How smart does a NT have to be to play in the NFL?

MasterOfPuppets
01-09-2010, 07:11 PM
I think Mallet and Locker going back also helped. He knows he is probably the 4th prospect ranked QB behind Clausen, Bradford, Tebow. More money this year then next year to be made

If they are all leaving Ole Miss then Jerrelle Powe NT is an interesting prospect. Giant of an NT, trouble is he cant read by all reports and has been academically ineligible for most of his college life. How smart does a NT have to be to play in the NFL?

oh i didn't know mallet was returning ... i probably would have penciled him in as a viking pick....:doh:

TheWarDen86
01-11-2010, 07:41 PM
I've been having that same pipe dream for a few weeks.

Keep praying buddy, we have a 1/18 chance. :chuckle:

taztroy43
01-12-2010, 03:31 AM
With the first pick Steelers will select Earl Thomas FS out of Texas....thats if he's there when they pick....

http://www.halfbrokehotel.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/Earl.jpg

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2009/0407/ncf_g_thomas_576.jpg

Galax Steeler
01-12-2010, 04:29 AM
Keep praying buddy, we have a 1/18 chance. :chuckle:

I don't even think your odds are that good wishfull thinking.:wink02:

Galax Steeler
01-12-2010, 04:30 AM
With the first pick Steelers will select Earl Thomas FS out of Texas....thats if he's there when they pick....

That is who I want to see in Black and Gold.:thumbsup:

TheWarDen86
01-12-2010, 03:20 PM
I don't even think your odds are that good wishfull thinking.:wink02:

Why is everybody pissin all over my pipe dream? :wink02:

Galax Steeler
01-12-2010, 03:21 PM
Why is everybody pissin all over my pipe dream? :wink02:

I am sorry I shouldn't have ruined your pipe dream.:chuckle:

TheWarDen86
01-12-2010, 05:41 PM
I am sorry I shouldn't have ruined your pipe dream.:chuckle:

What ever....ya pipe dream pisser. :chuckle:

:wink02: :drink:

Aussie_steeler
01-12-2010, 05:48 PM
What ever....ya pipe dream pisser. :chuckle:

:wink02: :drink:

Classic - can we officially add that term to the draftgeek glossary?? Please

Texasteel
01-12-2010, 07:25 PM
Classic - can we officially add that term to the draftgeek glossary?? Please

You know, with the degenerates we have here we could come up with our own language.

So of like text messages.

MasterOfPuppets
01-12-2010, 07:35 PM
You know, with the degenerates we have here we could come up with our own language.

:toofunny:

TheWarDen86
01-12-2010, 07:50 PM

Degenerates? WTF? ur not my BFF n e mor.

:chuckle:

Texasteel
01-13-2010, 05:12 AM
Degenerates? WTF? ur not my BFF n e mor.

:chuckle:

I rest me cast.

Northside Jonny
01-23-2010, 01:36 PM

Absolute Beast I think this guy is worth moving up for !!!!!!!! :tt04::nw:

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-23-2010, 02:10 PM

I would love to get Thomas...but If he makes it past the 49r's at #13, I think the Giants would be happy to grab him at #15...I would be very surprised if he makes it to us at #18.

Chidi29
01-23-2010, 08:38 PM
It's still early in the process for both the prospects and myself so it's tough to say who we could get. For all we know, a couple guys end up doing really well or poorly at the Combine and the equation totally changes. It happens every year. I think it's almost easier to say who we're not going to take than who we are.

OT - Doubt it. Starks improved a lot as the season went along and Willie Colon was fantastic last year. Sites like profootballfocus back that up. Good run blocker and almost never gets beat off the edge. He still has a bad rep as a guy who "should be moved inside to guard" and I would have agreed with that had he not played as well as he did this season. Too risky to move him. We're in a great situation with him. Tender him this year and make sure he can do it two years in a row before having to throw big money at him.

FS - If we re-sign Clark, I'd lean towards no. Clark is older than you'd think, but if you were to take a guy like Earl Thomas, you'd want to get him in the lineup pretty early. By his second season at least; I think that's what happened with Troy. Of course, if Clark walks or gets a really short, cheap deal, then FS is a strong candidate.

OG - I'd love to upgrade RG, Essex's footwork in pass blocking is terrible, but 18 might be too high, even for a guy like Iupati.

C - Not unless you want to cut Hartwig. And that'll cost at least $1.5 million which has to be paid in what I'm assuming is one lump sum. Can't spread that out over time according to the new rules of a CBA-less league. Same reason why I doubt Farrior gets cut this year. I agree that his play is painfully, obviously on the decline, but he'll cost $4 million.

CB - I can't say we won't take one here, but if it were me, I wouldn't. Ike is still a good corner who we trust enough to match up against any #1 WR and the loss of Troy caused us to play recklessly in order to compensate for the loss of playmaking ability he had. That is of course, the player's fault and something that needs to be worked on but something that should recitfy itself this season. And I know I'll be killed for this, but I don't think Gay is as bad as people think. He's a solid, physical tackler who played well two years ago. Reason being why everyone was ok with McFadden leaving. While Gay wasn't good by any means this year, I didn't think he was horrible. Again, he was just exposed as being a Dick LeBeau corner. Not a huge playmaker by any means, but a guy that isn't going to kill you in mistakes and one that's a solid tackler and good against the run. To me, a lot of the "mistakes" he made either came from...

1. Him slipping. Mostly at home, where everyone slipped. Just more costly for a corner.

2. It looking like his fault when in reality, someone else screwed up or the QB made a good play. Case in point, remember that Mark Clayton 54 yard catch in the first matchup against Baltimore. People think that was on Gay because he was half-running with him but in reality, it was on Clark. He bit on Heap's seam route, allowing Clayton to get open.

3. The scheme. We always play our corner off and teams have always dink and dunked us underneath. Like I said, these things just become more evident when you don't have that big playmaker like Troy to swoop in and make that one big play. Referring back to the Baltimore game, I specifically remember a Carter blitz that forced Gay to play well off as there was no safety help, allowing Flacco to hit Clayton on an 11 yard out.

The numbers of Gay seem to reflect that, too. High catch % but a top 25 YPC amount. At one point, it was second in the league only behind Richard Marshall. A few bad games where he got credited for giving up a big play just inflated that amount.

Another thing to consider. Most 1st round corners are of the blazing fast, lockdown, good in press coverage variety. Again, that isn't LeBeau's scheme. It's a zone; running a 4.3 and being able to man up on a receiver isn't required. Good to have but not needed. Same with press coverage; it's a very passive zone in respect to how far off we play our corners. Have the safties run over the top, the CBs take the middle of the field and the LBs taking the flats. Don't give up the big play, make it difficult to throw it far down the field (The only throw consistently being there is a 10-15 yard out behind the corner and in front of the safety, which takes quite a bit of accuracy and timing to pull off. Also becoming more difficult to throw the deep middle with a couple of Tampa 2 looks I saw us running towards the end of the year in the sense that we'd drop that ILB back into the deep middle), and force them to beat you underneath.

Now onto what I think we will do. Again, bear in mind that it's very early in the draft process for me. I haven't even gone back and attempted to rewatch any of the players. Haven't started on any mocks yet either.

In a perfect world, an elite tackle maybe like a Campbell or Bulaga fall to us, we trade with someone who wants that guy to move into the back end of the first round and get Dan Williams. To me, taking him at 18 seems like a reach at this point. Don't want a repeat of Troy Edwards.

Northside Jonny
01-23-2010, 09:04 PM
I would love to get Thomas...but If he makes it past the 49r's at #13, I think the Giants would be happy to grab him at #15...I would be very surprised if he makes it to us at #18.

That is why I said to move up for him Buddy.
:busted:

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-24-2010, 07:45 AM
That is why I said to move up for him Buddy.
:busted:

I understood....."Buddy".....and concurred. I was showing about how far we would may have to move up to get Thomas.

taztroy43
01-24-2010, 12:51 PM

Our first pick has to be on FS Earl Thomas....He would solidify our DB instantly....He and Troy would be the best pair of S in the NFL for many years to come.....That's only if they draft him....I don't believe any other team has the coaching to develop him to his full potential except for us(the Steelers).....

Northside Jonny
01-26-2010, 03:22 PM
I understood....."Buddy".....and concurred. I was showing about how far we would may have to move up to get Thomas.

Just kidding with you Lambert .:hug:Will you agree that if we don't get thomas we should not make a desperate mistake and take taylor mays . I don' t think he is even worthy of the first round.

blitzburgh56
01-26-2010, 04:38 PM
If Joe Haden drops past Buffalo at number 9, I feel like the Steelers should draft up to get him. I think he can be the next Darelle Revis. The Steelers let the Jets trade up to snag Revis and look what he turned out to be. Switch the roles and go snag Haden from someone if he falls to number 10. Sadly i feel Haden will end up being a Brownie. :noidea:

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-27-2010, 06:34 AM
Just kidding with you Lambert .:hug:Will you agree that if we don't get thomas we should not make a desperate mistake and take taylor mays . I don' t think he is even worthy of the first round.

I would rather pass on Mays in the 1st round and pick up nate Allen in hte 2nd.

This draft has all the markings of us possibly trading down. Minnesota's DT Pat Williams is thinking about retirement, and the Vikes may be in the market to trade up and pick up Dan Williams. The logical trade would be they would give us their 1st (#29) & 2nd (#69) and they would get our 1st (#18) and 5th (#146).

That would give us.

1st round (#29)
2nd round (#50)
2nd round (#69)
3rd round (#82)
4th round (#114)
5th round (compensatory pick) *projected
5th round (compensatory pick) *projected
6th round (#178)
7th round (#210)

Wiith out first 4 picks when then should be able to get Safety Nate Allen...ILB Micah Johnson...CB Devin McCourty...and DT Torrell Troup.

SteelMember
01-28-2010, 02:38 PM
I rest me cast.

Jeopardy Answer...

What a tired pirate with a broken arm might say. :sofunny:

Just playin buddy. :drink:

steelerdave1969
01-29-2010, 01:50 PM
I would love the Steelers to have an opportunity to select OG Mike Iupati for sure out of Idaho. This guy should be a great player at the next level. Also ILB Rolando McClain from Alabama would be a great player to add to our Steelers LB corp. He would be a great replacement player for James Farrior in the next year or 2 at the most. Dont overlook another ILB by the name of Daryl Washington from TCU. This 6'3 234 lb beast would be an awesome pick up as well, though there is a Slight chance we might could get him in the 2nd.

jonslow
01-29-2010, 02:54 PM
I would love the Steelers to have an opportunity to select OG Mike Iupati for sure out of Idaho. This guy should be a great player at the next level. Also ILB Rolando McClain from Alabama would be a great player to add to our Steelers LB corp. He would be a great replacement player for James Farrior in the next year or 2 at the most. Dont overlook another ILB by the name of Daryl Washington from TCU. This 6'3 234 lb beast would be an awesome pick up as well, though there is a Slight chance we might could get him in the 2nd.

Washington doesn't warrant a pick at #18. He's arguably the fourth or fifth best inside linebacker this year, and although he's played pretty well this week during Senior Bowl pracices, he hasn't really done enough to warrant first round status. There's a good chance he'll be available at #18 in the second. McClain, Spikes, Weatherspoon (who played some ILB this week), Sharpton, Chaney... it's a big mess after McClain, but I just don't think Washington witll go in the first or high second. I do like him, though. I do inside linebacker profiles for my site and I spent a lot of time watching him on film. He's gonna be a solid contributor in either a 3-4 or as weak-side backer in a 4-3.