PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Arians = When something is working, let's change.

Bobby_Walden
01-03-2010, 03:45 PM
Makes you scratch your head.

Blah, blah, blah...were ranked this, that..yards...enough points to win...blah, blah,blah.

Ben is killing them. Let's try something nuts.

Oh wait, I know, "The players just need to make plays..."

Well, our D sucks. That is a bigger problem I guess.

They better draft some CB & S help.

fansince'76
01-03-2010, 03:48 PM
27-10 4th quarter lead. Nuff said. Turn the broken record over already. :coffee:

Bobby_Walden
01-03-2010, 03:52 PM
27-10 4th quarter lead. Nuff said. Turn the broken record over already. :coffee:

What was the score with 3 min. to go Einstein ?

With a poor D, we need all the points and time off clock we can get.

Rick5895
01-03-2010, 03:53 PM
Actually a 27-10 4th Q lead. The D let them back in, but something encouraging, we made 2 HUGE plays at the end. Clark's pic after an offensive turnover and Ike's pic at the end of the game. I am too concerned by the struggles offensively in the third and fourth Q. I take from this game and the last 3 of the season, the character on this team is alive and well. Even though the D struggled they aught through it to make plays when we needed it. We did last week against Baltimore as well. This will serve us well next season.
So for a change let's get off the "fire B.A." bandwagon and take some positives and talk about them.

Nadroj 20

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

How did the dolphins get back in the game?

MACH1
:popcorn:

fansince'76
01-03-2010, 03:54 PM

How about stop blaming Arians for the D repeatedly shitting the bed, Brainiac? I'm sure you've drawn up all kinds of neato-weato plays on Madden and we'd score 80 points every game if you were OC. :coffee:

HometownGal
01-03-2010, 03:55 PM

We had a 17 POINT LEAD late in the 3rd - a freakin' SEVENTEEN POINT LEAD which the D again squandered away Einstein.

27 points is more than enough to win a football game. The O more than did its job.

GodofGridiron
01-03-2010, 03:56 PM
Im awaiting the "Bruce Arians has been relieved of coaching duties" press conference....Actually id like to see it tomorrow afternoon at the latest. He shouldnt be the only one however.

SteelersFever
01-03-2010, 03:57 PM
neato-weato plays on Madden and we'd score 80 points every game if you were OC. :coffee:

:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

AllD
01-03-2010, 03:57 PM
For parting gifts Willam Gay receives a case of Turtle Wax and $100 worth of Rice-a-Roni.

BlastFurnace
01-03-2010, 03:58 PM
Makes you scratch your head.

Blah, blah, blah...were ranked this, that..yards...enough points to win...blah, blah,blah.

Ben is killing them. Let's try something nuts.

Oh wait, I know, "The players just need to make plays..."

Well, our D sucks. That is a bigger problem I guess.

They better draft some CB & S help.

This game isn't for Arians to take heat on.

It's our terrible and old defense.

HometownGal
01-03-2010, 04:00 PM
Im awaiting the "Bruce Arians has been relieved of coaching duties" press conference....Actually id like to see it tomorrow afternoon at the latest. He shouldnt be the only one however.

I think you and the rest of the Arians bashers are going to be wery, wery disappointed. :toofunny: The man has done absolutely NOTHING that constitutes a pink slip. I'm curious, though - where is all of the Lebeau hate? Just because he is a lock for the HOF doesn't mean he is without fault this season for the absolutely horrendous play of his D unit.

If, however, I'm wrong - I'll trust the decision of the FO as I always have. :drink:

BlastFurnace
01-03-2010, 04:01 PM
For parting gifts Willam Gay receives a case of Turtle Wax and $100 worth of Rice-a-Roni.

I'd buy him a Toaster Oven

Rotorhead
01-03-2010, 04:02 PM
Turn your record over fs76, take off your BA goggles while your at it. Yes our Def blew the lead like always, but BA called several boneheaded calls . . . oh wait, the god that is BA couldnt have called them right, Ben audibled to the reverse pass . . . or maybe Tomlin called that single play in . . . or even better the Rooney's called that play in from the Box . . . because it never could have been a bad call from BA! I am not blaming BA for our seasons woes, but I am stating the fact (one you and your pals can't seem to grasp) that BA picks the worst time to call those moronic plays. And for the record I think aside from the reverse pass and the run, run, empty backfield pass series at the end, BA called a great game. Unfortunately, it was the worst time for him g\to makes those retarded calls. The reverse pass was a complete momentum changer (no I dont blame Holmes cause he shouldnt have been in that position to throw that pass) and why the hell would you try to run it at that point in the game when we have been lighting it up in the air all game, not to mention 3rd down, game on the line needing a first and he uses an empty backfield?? Why not just give the dam play to the other teams defense because everyone that has ever watched at least one game of football knew Miami would blitz like crazy . . . and they did, Ben fumbled and got hurt. However, I am sure you and your BA lover pals will rationalize that Ben could have audibled out, or Tomlin ok'd the call . . . hell I am sure God stopped time, popped over onto the sideline and gave BA his personal blessing too. Point is, if he didnt make those very few retarded calls at the worst time, he wouldn't be hated by so many of us.

AllD
01-03-2010, 04:03 PM
Taylor and Clark stepped up and you didn;t hear Carter and Gay just whiffed.

GodofGridiron
01-03-2010, 04:04 PM
We had a 17 POINT LEAD late in the 3rd - a freakin' SEVENTEEN POINT LEAD which the D again squandered away Einstein.

27 points is more than enough to win a football game. The O more than did its job.

I guess you dont really WATCH these games do you ? If you did youd understand just how much talent is on this offensive unit (Ward, Holmes, Miller, Wallace and Mendenhall). You say 27 pts is enough. What you fail to realize is that with a coordinator that can actually game plan to player strengths, this offense couldve scored 2 or 3 TD's when we settled for FG's. 40 pts was possible against this unit in Miami. Im not gonna mention some other contests. This team has noooooooooo problem gettin in the red zone. But it takes creativity and execution to turn those trips into 6 instead of 3.

I cant wait til they can Arians ass so some of you would stop defending this clown of a coach who cant even sniff a headcoaching job anywhere else. I dont want mediocrity in coaching. Not on my team. You can settle but im not.

AllD
01-03-2010, 04:04 PM
Holmes throwing that pass would be the equivalent of having Harrison be our full-time long snapper.

tony hipchest
01-03-2010, 04:06 PM
How about stop blaming Arians for the D repeatedly shitting the bed, Brainiac? I'm sure you've drawn up all kinds of neato-weato plays on Madden and we'd score 80 points every game if you were OC. :coffee:actually arians drew one of those up in the 2nd quarter and it was a complete failure after we had pretty much been moving the ball at will.

the defense has holes. that much is obvious. players are old and starters are injured.

what the hell is the offenses excuse?

all steelerfans want is for the offense to grow a set of balls and carry the team for once.

arians had some great playcalling today and cannot be blamed for a loss. sadly some of his best work this season was when ben had a bum arm and couldnt throw the ball anymore, or when ben was out of the game completely and we had a 3rd string qb making his 1st start.

atleast arians almost got ben into the pro bowl though! :thumbsup:

WH
01-03-2010, 04:10 PM
I'm an Arians hater....but this is really getting ridiculous. All the guy needs to do to be a great OC is 1. Learn to adjust on the fly. 2. Call a better redzone offense. If he can fix those things this offseason, he can stay.

With Lebeau, I hope the FO doesn't have him as ''golden calf''d as 90% (including myself) has for the past season. Youth needs to be spread all over the Defense, including the coaching staff.

MACH1
01-03-2010, 04:12 PM
actually arians drew one of those up in the 2nd quarter and it was a complete failure after we had pretty much been moving the ball at will.

the defense has holes. that much is obvious. players are old and starters are injured.

all steelerfans want is for the offense to grow a set of balls and carry the team for once.

arians had some great playcalling today and cannot be blamed for a loss. sadly some of his best work this season was when ben had a bum arm and couldnt throw the ball anymore, or when ben was out of the game completely and we had a 3rd string qb making his 1st start.

Hell, I'd settle for not calling boneheaded plays at critical points in the game.

AllD
01-03-2010, 04:12 PM
Ligashesky gets a $250 gift certificate to Foot Locker.

Texasteel
01-03-2010, 04:14 PM
actually arians drew one of those up in the 2nd quarter and it was a complete failure after we had pretty much been moving the ball at will.

I don't really think the offense needs an excuse. They scored 30 points and gave the defense a 17 point lead.

No matter how old the defense is and who they are missing they still have a job to do and for the most part they have not been doing it.

X-Terminator
I guess you dont really WATCH these games do you ? If you did youd understand just how much talent is on this offensive unit (Ward, Holmes, Miller, Wallace and Mendenhall). You say 27 pts is enough. What you fail to realize is that with a coordinator that can actually game plan to player strengths, this offense couldve scored 2 or 3 TD's when we settled for FG's. 40 pts was possible against this unit in Miami. Im not gonna mention some other contests. This team has noooooooooo problem gettin in the red zone. But it takes creativity and execution to turn those trips into 6 instead of 3.

I cant wait til they can Arians ass so some of you would stop defending this clown of a coach who cant even sniff a headcoaching job anywhere else. I dont want mediocrity in coaching. Not on my team. You can settle but im not.

And if they scored 40, you'd bitch because they didn't score 42.

Let's face it, you are just like many other Steelers fans who can't see the forest for the damn trees. All you want to do is whine and bitch and find a scapegoat for everything and anything that goes wrong. Blaming Arians for the D shitting the bed AGAIN in the 4th quarter and nearly blowing the game is absolutely freaking insane. But it's par for the course for you and the rest of your ilk.

27 points is MORE THAN ENOUGH to beat just about every team in the league. It is time for you to face fact and admit that the D deserves a GREAT DEAL of blame for why the Steelers most likely will be watching the playoffs on TV. If that unit could stop the likes of the Chiefs and Raiders "vaunted offenses" from marching up and down the field, they'd be in the playoffs.

And I hope Arians is retained, if for no other reason than to watch you and the rest of the haters blow an e-gasket for my amusement.

BlastFurnace
Ligashesky gets a $250 gift certificate to Foot Locker.

I'd rather buy him a pair of boots and use one as a suppository to boot him out of here.

HometownGal
01-03-2010, 04:20 PM

No excuses need be made for the O - they have the most dynamic offense they've ever had under - dare I say it - BRUCE ARIANS and if it weren't for the "gaping holes" in the D (which is Lebeau's territory) - the Steelers would be sitting at 13-3 or 12-4, with yet another AFCN title and most likely a first round bye. :banging: :banging:

GodOfGridiron - I'm not going to waste my time or my font with you. You're at the top of the Arians hater list and there is no reasoning with you, so hate on. :drink:

tony hipchest
01-03-2010, 04:21 PM
I think you and the rest of the Arians bashers are going to be wery, wery disappointed. :toofunny: The man has done absolutely NOTHING that constitutes a pink slip. I'm curious, though - where is all of the Lebeau hate? Just because he is a lock for the HOF doesn't mean he is without fault this season for the absolutely horrendous play of his D unit.

If, however, I'm wrong - I'll trust the decision of the FO as I always have. :drink:

are you suggesting lebeau might have forgotten everything he has learned in the past 50 years in the NFL?

sorry, but i will take everything lebeau has forgotten vs everything arians has learned, any day of the week and twice on sunday.

arians doesnt even belong in the same sentence as lebeau. ive seen one unit pitch a shutout. i have NEVER seen the other unit score more that a routine 38 points in a game.

something is wrong, this season proves it, and it has nothing to do with smith and polamalu being out.

6 points against the freaking browns? c'mon man!

not being able to grind out the clock vs the chiefs and raiders? c'mon man! :dang:

SteelCityMom
01-03-2010, 04:21 PM
Seriously? Are there people really complaining about the offense in this game (and for the better part of the year)?

Just priceless.

The D rocks my socks off! (/sarcasm)

Bobby_Walden
01-03-2010, 04:22 PM
How about stop blaming Arians for the D repeatedly shitting the bed, Brainiac? I'm sure you've drawn up all kinds of neato-weato plays on Madden and we'd score 80 points every game if you were OC. :coffee:

Go read my original post Genius.

It was slamming that crazy call, BA made.

I guess you liked the call. Sweet. OK.

Anyway...

I thought I said I knew the D was the bigger issue.
Thing is...we need our offense to keep momentum, not give it away.

As far as plays go, I would have settled for another Ben R. throw, myself.

cubanstogie
01-03-2010, 04:27 PM
Turn your record over fs76, take off your BA goggles while your at it. Yes our Def blew the lead like always, but BA called several boneheaded calls . . . oh wait, the god that is BA couldnt have called them right, Ben audibled to the reverse pass . . . or maybe Tomlin called that single play in . . . or even better the Rooney's called that play in from the Box . . . because it never could have been a bad call from BA! I am not blaming BA for our seasons woes, but I am stating the fact (one you and your pals can't seem to grasp) that BA picks the worst time to call those moronic plays. And for the record I think aside from the reverse pass and the run, run, empty backfield pass series at the end, BA called a great game. Unfortunately, it was the worst time for him g\to makes those retarded calls. The reverse pass was a complete momentum changer (no I dont blame Holmes cause he shouldnt have been in that position to throw that pass) and why the hell would you try to run it at that point in the game when we have been lighting it up in the air all game, not to mention 3rd down, game on the line needing a first and he uses an empty backfield?? Why not just give the dam play to the other teams defense because everyone that has ever watched at least one game of football knew Miami would blitz like crazy . . . and they did, Ben fumbled and got hurt. However, I am sure you and your BA lover pals will rationalize that Ben could have audibled out, or Tomlin ok'd the call . . . hell I am sure God stopped time, popped over onto the sideline and gave BA his personal blessing too. Point is, if he didnt make those very few retarded calls at the worst time, he wouldn't be hated by so many of us.

After an interception its a great call to go for the throat on a big play. Holmes didn't have to throw into double coverage. It was a great gamble which Miami defended. Holmes throws it away and its 2nd down. No big deal. Your hatred of BA is blinding you IMO. That was the epitome of bad execution. A WR throwing into double coverage. I am sure BA didn't say throw it up for grabs if they are covered. Throw the ball away like he was taught in practice, don't try to be a hero if the receiver is not open. There are 2 ways to view that play, not just BA made a bad call.

FacemeIke
01-03-2010, 04:27 PM
I'd like to see Arians go, but will stand by whatever decision the front office makes. With that said, there is no defense for how horrible the Holmes play call was and how horrible the throwing play call was after the 2 minute warning last week. Yep, there are other problems. Doesn't releive BA of his portion of the blame though.

X-Terminator
01-03-2010, 04:31 PM

Anyway...

Well, if you're slamming that call, you could try, um you know...SAYING THAT...rather than give everyone a completely different impression. Because I happen to agree with you that that was a horrible call at an inopportune time, and I said so in the Gameday thread.

X-Terminator
01-03-2010, 04:36 PM
are you suggesting lebeau might have forgotten everything he has learned in the past 50 years in the NFL?

sorry, but i will take everything lebeau has forgotten vs everything arians has learned, any day of the week and twice on sunday.

arians doesnt even belong in the same sentence as lebeau. ive seen one unit pitch a shutout. i have NEVER seen the other unit score more that a routine 38 points in a game.

something is wrong, this season proves it, and it has nothing to do with smith and polamalu being out.

not being able to grind out the clock vs the chiefs and raiders? c'mon man! :dang:

The offense has scored enough points to win every game sans two.

The defense, while they have had their moments, has been consistently bad all season, especially late in games.

Yet, one coach is excoriated, while the other gets a free pass "just because."

The very definition of unfair.

If one coach gets all the blame for their unit underperforming (in your eyes), then the other should get the same blame. It's as simple as that. I don't care if they are missing players, they should still be good enough to stop the dregs of the league in crunch time.

tony hipchest
01-03-2010, 04:37 PM
- they have the most dynamic offense they've ever had under - dare I say it - BRUCE ARIANS :

i beg to differ. ive seen this team routinely put up more points with kordell stewart or a rookie/coming off of motorcycle injured ben.

cant eclipse 38 points with some of the finest offensive talent we have ever assembled (atleast since the 70's) = problem.

cant score more than 6 points vs. the browns. = problem.

cant outscore the chiefs or raiders = problem.

4th quarter offense with a 10 minute lead isnt too diffucult to figure out. cowher made a potential HOF career and potential next multi-million $$$/year gig out of it.

too bad arians didnt learn nothing from the tutelage.

Vincent
01-03-2010, 04:38 PM
How about stop blaming Arians for...

With Booosh gone, we need someone to blame EVERYTHING on. :chuckle:

SteelerFanInStl
01-03-2010, 04:38 PM

:iagree: 28th in the NFL in red zone TDs is not acceptable. The Steelers were 13th in the NFL in scoring coming into today. That's nothing more than average.

VegasStlrFan
01-03-2010, 04:39 PM
How about this... the D can't give up multiple scores in the 4th qtr and the O can't be 28th in the league in the redzone.

I think the D's problem is the easier fix with 2 starters getting healthy, not sure how to fix the O's.

stillers4me
01-03-2010, 04:40 PM
i beg to differ. ive seen this team routinely put up more points with kordell stewart or a rookie/coming off of motorcycle injured ben.

cant eclipse 38 points with some of the finest offensive talent we have ever assembled (atleast since the 70's) = problem.

4th quarter offense with a 10 minute lead isnt too diffucult to figure out. cowher made a potential HOF career and potential next multi-million $$$/year gig out of it.

And we all know that once we get into the redzone, we must pass the ball. :doh:

Rotorhead
01-03-2010, 04:42 PM
Bwahahaha, do you really believe that BS you just spewed out? I will let you in on a little secret now, Holmes isnt a QB, thus his "coverage reading skills" are most likely not up to par. The call was BAD, take off your BA love goggles please and call it for what it is. There is a difference between a "Big Play" and a "Bad Call". Ben is the QB (in case you didnt know) and probably the one to be making the throws on big plays, especially right after a turnover when 10yds will get you into FG range. Now, if you would learn to read, then read to achieve, slick, I stated that BA called a very good game (hhmmm, sounds like a BA hater to me . . . oh wait . . .). There are 2 ways to view that play:
1. Bad Call
2. Bad Call due to the timing of the call.
I honestly think that if BA wouldnt make the boneheaded calls at those key moments, he would be a very innovative and good OC, but he just for some reason (and i dont know why) makes some of the dumbest calls at the worst times and it drives me nuts. I think he has some really good ideas, good formations and even some well called games, I don't blame him for our bad season (that reading thing again) but those dam calls just get to me.

MACH1
01-03-2010, 04:57 PM
And we all know that once we get into the redzone, we must pass the ball. :doh:

And thats also how you run out the clock.

tony hipchest
01-03-2010, 05:01 PM

completely false. :coffee:

give coache dad a relatively 100% healthy unit for an entire season and we see what the results are. sb win and a top defensive unit since joe green and lambert strapped them up.

give arians a relatively 100% healthy unit, (and i agree this unit has top 5 talent seeping out of its butt), and you see what we get. an average unit who completely comes up short scoring points and especially when it matters most (in the red zone).

for the life of me, i cant see why the arians apologists dont get this. the same people who simply expect tomlin/lebeau to scheme their way out of a lack of talent, are obviously forgetting lebeaus years spent in cinnci as head coach (and make no mistake... troy and smith being out are a severe lack of talent on our squad).

anyways the line in the sand has been drawn on this issue. some will defend arians until the bitter end. others will defend lebeau, and proclaim how great of a player troy polamalu really is. im happy with where i stand. :drink:

ultimately it is a team game where all 3 phases had a chance to sack up and win one for the team. unfortunately for me, i expected more out of our offense.

fansince'76
01-03-2010, 05:24 PM
Yes our Def blew the lead like always....

Fine. Stop giving them a pass and blaming Arians for almost blowing the game after the offense spotted them a 17-point, 3-score lead heading into the 4th quarter, mmmkay?

but BA called several boneheaded calls . . . oh wait, the god that is BA couldnt have called them right, Ben audibled to the reverse pass . . . or maybe Tomlin called that single play in . . . or even better the Rooney's called that play in from the Box . . . because it never could have been a bad call from BA!

And please point out where I said that the razzle dazzle play by Holmes was a good play call? Reading (comprehension) is fundamental.

Anyway...

And the reading (comprehension) is fundamental comment above applies to you as well, Mr. Mensa candidate. :yawn:

fansince'76
01-03-2010, 05:30 PM

Really? Funny, but I vividly recall 20-point games being considered a huge offensive output and a 10-point deficit being an automatic loss when Korkie was under center and we still played the 3 yards and a cloud of dust philosophy, also known as "Cowherball."

HometownGal
01-03-2010, 05:36 PM

arians doesnt even belong in the same sentence as lebeau.

Do NOT put words in my mouth with regard to Lebeau, please. Dick Lebeau is a legend in his own right both as a player and as the Steelers DC for the last 6 seasons, but before he came back to the Steelers in 2004, he wasn't setting the NFL on fire (even with the defensive firepower he had back in the 80's with the Bungles) and was fired as their HC after 2 seasons. If you are going to put what you view as bad offensive play and playcalling on Arians, it is only right for Lebeau to shoulder some of the blame for his unit's lackluster performances all season. I know that won't happen because to Steelers fans, he is God-like and untouchable. As much as I adore him -and I do - he has to be held somewhat responsible for the absolutely abysmal play of his D unit this season. Good units adjust when adverse circumstances (Troy and Aaron's injuries) hit them unexpectedly. Lebeau's unit simply did not.

ive seen one unit pitch a shutout. i have NEVER seen the other unit score more that a routine 38 points in a game.

LMAO!!!!! :rofl: That is all. :coffee:

Darned tootin' something is wrong - our D didn't step up to the task after being given leads in at least FIVE games this season where the O put more than enough points on the board to win. That is a fact I don't think even you and the Arians Witch Hunt Club can deny. Hell - in reality we could be 7-9 instead of 9-7 as the D almost blew the Packers game last week and the Fins game today.

Last time I looked, I'm not a man. :wink:

The Browns game I will give you - the O totally stunk out the joint in that game. They also get my kick in the ass for their shitty performance against the Bungles in Week #10, though as much as it gags me with a poon to say it, the Bungles D played admirably.

Against both the Chiefs and the Raiders, the Steelers D blew halftime leads in the second halves of both of those games. In the KC game, the Steelers had a 17-7 lead at the half and the O put up another 7 late in the 4Q. Between the midway point of the 3Q and the end of regulation, the Steelers D shit the bed and gave up 17 points to the Chiefs which forced OT and ultimately, another loss. In the Raiders game, the Steelers had a 10-6 halftime lead and the Steelers O scored 2 TD's in the 4th Q. What happened to that lead might you ask? Again - the Steelers D gave up THREE TD's to the Raiders in 8+ minutes, squandering away the lead the Steelers O gave them. C'mon man! :wink: :banging: :banging: :banging:

cubanstogie
01-03-2010, 05:36 PM
Bwahahaha, do you really believe that BS you just spewed out? I will let you in on a little secret now, Holmes isnt a QB, thus his "coverage reading skills" are most likely not up to par. The call was BAD, take off your BA love goggles please and call it for what it is. There is a difference between a "Big Play" and a "Bad Call". Ben is the QB (in case you didnt know) and probably the one to be making the throws on big plays, especially right after a turnover when 10yds will get you into FG range. Now, if you would learn to read, then read to achieve, slick, I stated that BA called a very good game (hhmmm, sounds like a BA hater to me . . . oh wait . . .). There are 2 ways to view that play:
1. Bad Call
2. Bad Call due to the timing of the call.
I honestly think that if BA wouldnt make the boneheaded calls at those key moments, he would be a very innovative and good OC, but he just for some reason (and i dont know why) makes some of the dumbest calls at the worst times and it drives me nuts. I think he has some really good ideas, good formations and even some well called games, I don't blame him for our bad season (that reading thing again) but those dam calls just get to me. It was first and ten, not third and ten. It was bad execution. You can't tell me they didn't practice that play many, many times to feel comfortable with a reciever throwing it. If they guy is wide open then throw if not tuck it and run or throw it away. Not like he had to read a D as good as a QB, one receiver option if not open then throw away. That call had nothing to do with Miami coming back. The big turn around was Mendy not staying in bounds on an easy TD then our D letting them drive 80 or whatever yards.

MACH1
01-03-2010, 05:39 PM
against the Bungles in Week #10, though as much as it gags me with a poon to say it

Oh, Really. :chuckle:

X-Terminator
01-03-2010, 05:41 PM

give coache dad a relatively 100% healthy unit for an entire season and we see what the results are. sb win and a top defensive unit since joe green and lambert strapped them up.

give arians a relatively 100% healthy unit, (and i agree this unit has top 5 talent seeping out of its butt), and you see what we get. an average unit who completely comes up short scoring points and especially when it matters most (in the red zone).

for the life of me, i cant see why the arians apologists dont get this. the same people who simply expect tomlin/lebeau to scheme their way out of a lack of talent, are obviously forgetting lebeaus years spent in cinnci as head coach (and make no mistake... troy and smith being out are a severe lack of talent on our squad).

anyways the line in the sand has been drawn on this issue. some will defend arians until the bitter end. others will defend lebeau, and proclaim how great of a player troy polamalu really is. im happy with where i stand. :drink:

ultimately it is a team game where all 3 phases had a chance to sack up and win one for the team. unfortunately for me, i expected more out of our offense.

21 points allowed to the Raiders in the 4th. 13 points allowed to the Chiefs in the 4th/OT.

Sorry, even with those guys out, we're talking about the RAIDERS and CHIEFS. The Steelers defense without Troy and Aaron should still be able to shut those teams down. Period.

I absolutely will not give them a free pass for that, and I sure as hell will not blame Arians and the offense for it either.

Yes, the line has been drawn. Lebeau can do no wrong, and Arians can do no right. It may sound over the top, but what else can you possibly say about it?

HometownGal
01-03-2010, 05:43 PM
The offense has scored enough points to win every game sans two.

The defense, while they have had their moments, has been consistently bad all season, especially late in games.

The very definition of unfair.

If one coach gets all the blame for their unit underperforming (in your eyes), then the other should get the same blame. It's as simple as that. I don't care if they are missing players, they should still be good enough to stop the dregs of the league in crunch time.

And B-I-N-G-O was his name-O. :thumbsup:

GodofGridiron
01-03-2010, 06:18 PM
And if they scored 40, you'd bitch because they didn't score 42.

Let's face it, you are just like many other Steelers fans who can't see the forest for the damn trees. All you want to do is whine and bitch and find a scapegoat for everything and anything that goes wrong. Blaming Arians for the D shitting the bed AGAIN in the 4th quarter and nearly blowing the game is absolutely freaking insane. But it's par for the course for you and the rest of your ilk.

27 points is MORE THAN ENOUGH to beat just about every team in the league. It is time for you to face fact and admit that the D deserves a GREAT DEAL of blame for why the Steelers most likely will be watching the playoffs on TV. If that unit could stop the likes of the Chiefs and Raiders "vaunted offenses" from marching up and down the field, they'd be in the playoffs.

And I hope Arians is retained, if for no other reason than to watch you and the rest of the haters blow an e-gasket for my amusement.

Youre delusional my man. Seriously. You stand by this dude with all is faults.......i cant understand why. You believe hes fine with his playcalling. I have a problem with his playcalling at times and his poor ability to make adjustments or exploit defenses.

Im gonna give u a perfect example of Arians work today: just after Miami scored and secure momentum in the 4th Qtr, we try and execute three straight PASSING plays. PASSING plays........PASSING plays!!! Mendenhall was carrying the rock at just beyond 5 yrds a clip. INSTEAD of running some clock, chuggin up some yardage, Arians does what he always does....He gets cute. End result is a couple incomplettion that stop the clock, and a sack and we give the ball right back to Miami. I like Steeler football. Im sure you love Steeler football. BUT, since when did this entail empty backfield and shotgun formations on 2nd and 7 ?

Yes sir, you love Arians enough to retain him, then you have a problem. The Nation has sounded off on this clown for years yet you offer your loyal support. Insanity. Thats what it is.

This defense has its problems but its mostly due to injuries to Smith and Troy...both PRO BOWLERS. Give me a (example) defense that can miss its two key starters..PRO BOWL starters and NOT STRUGGLE.

I dont expect you or HTG to see our point, and thats fine (Arians doesnt have a lotta friends so he needs you)...but i know for a fact if we gave Payton,Garrett or Koetter or any other creative genius with an offensive mind that believes in a healthy mix, they would do wonders with the weaponry we have on offense.

Rick5895
01-03-2010, 06:32 PM
No excuses need be made for the O - they have the most dynamic offense they've ever had under - dare I say it - BRUCE ARIANS and if it weren't for the "gaping holes" in the D (which is Lebeau's territory) - the Steelers would be sitting at 13-3 or 12-4, with yet another AFCN title and most likely a first round bye. :banging: :banging:

GodOfGridiron - I'm not going to waste my time or my font with you. You're at the top of the Arians hater list and there is no reasoning with you, so hate on. :drink:

We all complain about the Defense not doing the job, and you are right they cost us a few games this season. However, as many yards as our O put up this season i can point to three games that quite frankly the offense IMO cost us.

1. The raider loss, yes I know the D crapped the bed in the 4th, but 3 red zone trips in the 1st half netted us 3 points. We should have been up 21-6 at half.

2. The Cleveland loss, in gale force winds and numbing cold we throw twice as much as we ran? Bizzare to say the least

3. Finally I will say the Chiefs loss. An Opening KO return for TD hurt us, (thats not on the D) but over 500 yards of O and only 24 points is not sufficient.

I thought Bruce did a very good job today and the last 3 games may well have saved his job. Interesting article I read on Bruce in the Trib today. In the article he said he makes use of the players talents that are on the field.
So make that a 4th game the O cost us, The OT ravens Loss with Dixon. Bruce DID NOT make use of Dixons abilities. he only 2 times he called rollouts we scored 2 TD's, The Threat of DD running was NOT used in that game.

My problem with Bruce is this, he has trouble adjusting when the D adjust to what he is doing. I have said this all along, he does a great job between the 20's but inside the red zone I think he outsmarts himself.

Just my thoughts. However this is an evolving Offense, even though I don't care for Arians, i ay he should get one more year. With a healthy D next season I can see us at 13-3 or 14-2 with the offensive output we will get.:tt04::tt02::tt:

HometownGal
01-03-2010, 06:37 PM
Youre delusional my man. Seriously. You stand by this dude with all is faults.......i cant understand why. You believe hes fine with his playcalling. I have a problem with his playcalling at times and his poor ability to make adjustments or exploit defenses.

Im gonna give u a perfect example of Arians work today: just after Miami scored and secure momentum in the 4th Qtr, we try and execute three straight PASSING plays. PASSING plays........PASSING plays!!! Mendenhall was carrying the rock at just beyond 5 yrds a clip. INSTEAD of running some clock, chuggin up some yardage, Arians does what he always does....He gets cute. End result is a couple incomplettion that stop the clock, and a sack and we give the ball right back to Miami. I like Steeler football. Im sure you love Steeler football. BUT, since when did this entail empty backfield and shotgun formations on 2nd and 7 ?

Yes sir, you love Arians enough to retain him, then you have a problem. The Nation has sounded off on this clown for years yet you offer your loyal support. Insanity. Thats what it is.

This defense has its problems but its mostly due to injuries to Smith and Troy...both PRO BOWLERS. Give me a (example) defense that can miss its two key starters..PRO BOWL starters and NOT STRUGGLE.

I dont expect you or HTG to see our point, and thats fine (Arians doesnt have a lotta friends so he needs you)...but i know for a fact if we gave Payton,Garrett or Koetter or any other creative genius with an offensive mind that believes in a healthy mix, they would do wonders with the weaponry we have on offense.

NO - YOU have a problem if you can't plainly see that our D was the root of our problems this season. Last week against the Pack and today against the Fins are PRIME examples. Stop it with the Troy and Aaron nonsense - it's getting stale. Good units adjust to adversity - this D did not. If this D has to rely solely upon 2 players to hold leads in games, obviously there is a deeper problem than you realize. :banging: I didn't realize that Smith and Polamalu each play 11 positions.

The only complaint I have against Arians is him not utilizing a FB. I'm a huge fan of a two back set. Other than that, I am very pleased with his performance overall.

The Nation has sounded off on this clown for years yet you offer your loyal support. Insanity. Thats what it is.

I dont expect you or HTG to see our point, and thats fine (Arians doesnt have a lotta friends so he needs you)...

BA has support from a contingent of Steelers fans who aren't blinded by unjustified hatred and witch hunting to find a scapegoat to dump the blame on. Two years ago it was Sean Mahan. Last year, we won the Super Bowl and BA STILL got railroaded which has continued into this season, though it is as obvious as the schnoz on your face that the Steelers D not only shit the bed, but shit the season away. God forbid our beloved Steelers D suck more vigorously than an infant on its Mama's teet. It's not insanity - it's plain and simply - common sense.

The only opinions of BA's performance that matters are those of the Rooneys and Mike Tomlin and I don't think Mr. Arians really gives a rats ass if a bunch of Steelers fans on an internet BB don't appreciate him.

X-Terminator
01-03-2010, 06:56 PM

When did I ever say I loved or blindly supported him? I don't believe I have. I have plenty of issues with Arians and his playcalling. I don't know how many times I have said that I do not like his red zone playcalling and have acknowledged that at times, he does make bad calls. I did not agree AT ALL with the fleaflicker call today and thought it was a bad decision at that point in the game. It was a momentum-killer. I think they should burn the empty set from the playbook. But just because I may have issues DOES NOT mean he should be blamed for everything wrong with the team, ESPECIALLY the defense blowing leads late. That is on the DEFENSE, NOT ARIANS! I also will not ignore all the good he has done for this offense with 2 1,000 yard receivers, a 1,000 yard rusher who only started 14 games and a 4,000 yard passer. Most OCs would get plenty of credit for that...not Steeler Nation though. No, according to them (you), he should be run out of town on a rail and every single loss is his fault.

I am sorry, I will NOT use the excuse of Troy and Aaron being out as the sole reason for the defense's struggles late in games. Even with those two guys out, there is still more than enough talent out there to shut down the likes of the Chiefs and Raiders with the game on the line. I can understand it if it's against Philip Rivers, Brett Favre or Aaron Rodgers, but against Matt Cassel and Bruce Gradkowski? No freaking way. If you want to ignore that, fine, but they aren't getting a free pass from me for those games. They were in position to win, and they choked them away. How ANY of that is Arians' fault is beyond me, but leave it to Steelers fans to come up with a way to blame him.

I also think it's hilarious that you mention that series with the 3 straight PASSING PLAYS!!!!!!, but I distinctly remember in the Gameday thread people hoping that he wouldn't get conservative. Well, he tried to be aggressive, and yet, here you are excoriating him for that. He then did what you scream about with STEELER FOOTBALL!!!!! on the next drive and tried to establish the run and it didn't work, and predictably, he gets bashed for that. He's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. If there's one thing that I have learned over the years, it's that you cannot win with Steelers fans no matter what you do. You must be perfect and win every game 100-0 plus the SB, or you suck. There is no middle ground.

Sharkissle29
01-03-2010, 07:03 PM
i dont feel like reading everything in this thread. but from what i've skimmed ill say this.

27 points does not guarantee a win in this day of age in the NFL! This is an offensive league now, not a defensive league.

Bluedust
01-03-2010, 07:05 PM
i dont feel like reading everything in this thread. but from what i've skimmed ill say this.

27 points does not guarantee a win in this day of age in the NFL! This is an offensive league now, not a defensive league.

But if we go back to Smashmouth Steeler running football we'd never score over 27 every game. :``(

Uh oh maybe it sets in.

fansince'76
01-03-2010, 07:06 PM

It should against teams with offenses that are averaging 10-15 points a game (see Raiders, Chiefs).

Sharkissle29
01-03-2010, 07:08 PM
But if we go back to Smashmouth Steeler running football we'd never score over 27 every game. :``(

Uh oh maybe it sets in.

Well, smashmouth football runs a lot of clock, so 27 could win you a lot of games if you CONTROL the game properly.

On a side note, i really wish this was still a defensive league.....but the league evolves.

Maybe 10 years from now, its back how it used to be.

A man can dream....

mesaSteeler
01-03-2010, 07:09 PM
Here is a thought for all of your Arians worshipers who want to fire LeBeau.

Let's take take Big Ben and Santino out of the offense for most of the season and see how well it does then. That is the equivalent of losing Troy and Araon Smith for the year. We only scored six points on a garbage team like Brownstains with the Arians offense. Using empty sets in bad weather is not only insane it's incompetence.

LeBeau has a long track record of successful defenses. Arians does not have the same record with the offense.

The sooner Arians is gone the better. I didn't believe in his pass happy offense when the Cardiac Chargers used it in the 70's or when the Cardiac Cardinals used it in the 90's. I don't believe Cardiac Steelers will ever be much better than 9-7 or 8-8 with it. If we have to rebuild to get back to real Steeler football then so be it. It's better than what we have now.

X-Terminator
01-03-2010, 07:13 PM
Here is a thought for all of your Arians worshipers who want to fire LeBeau.

Let's take take Big Ben and Santino out of the offense for most of the season and see how well it does then. That is the equivalent of losing Troy and Araon Smith for the year. We only scored six points on a garbage team like Brownstains with the Arians offense. Using empty sets in bad weather is not only insane it's incompetence.

LeBeau has a long track record of successful defenses. Arians does not have the same record with the offense.

The sooner Arians is gone the better. I didn't believe in his pass happy offense when the Cardiac Chargers used it in the 70's or when the Cardiac Cardinals used it in the 90's. I don't believe Cardiac Steelers will ever be much better than 9-7 or 8-8 with it. If we have to rebuild to get back to real Steeler football then so be it. It's better than what we have now.

There hasn't been one person who in your mind supports Arians who has said LeBeau should be fired, and I challenge you to find posts where anyone has said that. That is just a cop-out and an excuse to deflect blame from the defense for their problems.

What has been said is that Arians shouldn't be the one taking the blame for the defense's problems - the defense should...and that if Arians is supposed to take all of the blame for the offense's problems, then LeBeau should take all of the blame for the defense's problems, and that his stature should NOT earn him an exemption from criticism.

mesaSteeler
01-03-2010, 07:22 PM
There hasn't been one person who in your mind supports Arians who has said LeBeau should be fired, and I challenge you to find posts where anyone has said that. That is just a cop-out and an excuse to deflect blame from the defense for their problems.

What has been said is that Arians shouldn't be the one taking the blame for the defense's problems - the defense should...and that if Arians is supposed to take all of the blame for the offense's problems, then LeBeau should take all of the blame for the defense's problems, and that his stature should NOT earn him an exemption from criticism.

A post where someone wants LeBaau to be gone. Well that's not hard to hard to find.

1) Arians is gone
2) Ligashesky is gone
3) We draft for Defense. The D is just too old. Farrior's age has caught up to him.
4) Parker is gone
5) Hampton is gone
6) Lebeau is gone

That's out of the top of my head.

See
http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=45998&highlight=FIRE+LEBEAU

fansince'76
01-03-2010, 07:27 PM

A post where someone wants LeBaau to be gone. Well that's not hard to hard to find.

1) Arians is gone
2) Ligashesky is gone
3) We draft for Defense. The D is just too old. Farrior's age has caught up to him.
4) Parker is gone
5) Hampton is gone
6) Lebeau is gone

See

You might want to read the highlighted part of X-T's post and then read the very top item in the list you cited. There are more than a few who think the entire coaching staff, including Tomlin, should be shitcanned. It's a big reason I thank Christ that fans don't call the shots for the team.

X-Terminator
01-03-2010, 07:32 PM

See

Fansince already said it, so I won't repeat it. It's also well-known that that guy has never supported Arians, so your example fails.

Next...

tony hipchest
01-03-2010, 07:41 PM
NO - YOU have a problem if you can't plainly see that our D was the root of our problems this season. Last week against the Pack and today against the Fins are PRIME examples. Stop it with the Troy and Aaron nonsense - it's getting stale. Good units adjust to adversity - this D did not. If this D has to rely solely upon 2 players to hold leads in games, obviously there is a deeper problem than you realize. :banging: I didn't realize that Smith and Polamalu each play 11 positions.

The only complaint I have against Arians is him not utilizing a FB. I'm a huge fan of a two back set. Other than that, I am very pleased with his performance overall.

BA has support from a contingent of Steelers fans who aren't blinded by unjustified hatred and witch hunting to find a scapegoat to dump the blame on. Two years ago it was Sean Mahan. Last year, we won the Super Bowl and BA STILL got railroaded which has continued into this season, though it is as obvious as the schnoz on your face that the Steelers D not only shit the bed, but shit the season away. God forbid our beloved Steelers D suck more vigorously than an infant on its Mama's teet. It's not insanity - it's plain and simply - common sense.

The only opinions of BA's performance that matters are those of the Rooneys and Mike Tomlin and I don't think Mr. Arians really gives a rats ass if a bunch of Steelers fans on an internet BB don't appreciate him.

sean mahan sucked balls and is currently unemployed and im sure his future in the nfl is kaput like the hundereds of nfl players who didnt make it before him.

if you wanna make the same comparisson with arians... well i can certainly see it.... :hunch:

i dont think buzzwords such as 'unjustified" or 'railroaded" and "scapegoated" will change the obvious.

:coffee:

fansince'76
01-03-2010, 07:42 PM
i dont think buzzwords such as 'unjustified" or 'railroaded" and "scapegoated" will change the obvious.

What, that our D sucked ass this year, but has, and will continue to be completely given a pass while Arians bears the brunt of the blame from many for FIVE fourth quarter leads relinquished by them? I agree.

X-Terminator
01-03-2010, 07:43 PM

But they definitely apply in this case.

Preacher
01-03-2010, 07:44 PM

:doh:

I guess blowing mulitple 4th quarter leads just doesn't matter anymore.

One little thing you forgot. While the Steelers defense played very well last year, except for 2 games in the reg. season. The OFFENSE, when it had to, made plays.

This year, while the offense played very well except for 2 games, the defense, DIDN"T make plays when they had to.

But nevermind. The free pass will go on.

It really is a shame that Arians couldn't have coached his guys how to play defense. He should be fired.

tony hipchest
01-03-2010, 07:50 PM
:doh:

I guess blowing mulitple 4th quarter leads just doesn't matter anymore.

One little thing you forgot. While the Steelers defense played very well last year, except for 2 games in the reg. season. The OFFENSE, when it had to, made plays.

This year, while the offense played very well except for 2 games, the defense, DIDN"T make plays when they had to.

But nevermind. The free pass will go on.

It really is a shame that Arians couldn't have coached his guys how to play defense. He should be fired.

if that makes the arians apologists sleep well at night, then fine.

i get it. tha arians apologist and kumbaya crowd want a board where nobody even dares critisize a holmes pass on a trick play that goes for an interception.

put it in the COC and im sure the rest of us peons will conform.

fansince'76
01-03-2010, 07:54 PM
i get it. tha arians apologist and kumbaya crowd want a board where nobody even dares critisize a holmes pass on a trick play that goes for an interception.

put it in the COC and im sure the rest of us peons will conform.

Ah, I get it. The "Arians is the antichrist and root of all evil" crowd would prefer a board where 30 new "Arians sucks and needs to be fired" threads need to be started on a daily basis and the weekly bedshitting by the defense will be blissfully glossed over and ignored in the meantime in the singleminded pursuit of the crucifixion of Arians all day, all the time. I'll ask Mike to get that in the COC stat! :thumbsup:

mesaSteeler
01-03-2010, 07:57 PM
Fansince already said it, so I won't repeat it. It's also well-known that that guy has never supported Arians, so your example fails.

Next...

Don't like that one then try this one.
The defense sucks.

Fire LeBeau.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=43606&highlight=FIRE+LEBEAU&page=4

or this one

And Arians and Lebeau. Lebeau's playcalling has been just as bad and his insistence to run the prevent b.s. is killing the team and he doesn't seem to care

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?p=709849&highlight=FIRE+LEBEAU#post709849

X-Terminator
01-03-2010, 08:02 PM
Don't like that one then try this one.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=43606&highlight=FIRE+LEBEAU&page=4

or this one

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?p=709849&highlight=FIRE+LEBEAU#post709849

Killer is Killer...he is facetious most of the time...kinda like steelreserve only less crass. He's also is not a fan of Arians, and neither is the second guy. I'm talking about people who, in your view, OPENLY SUPPORT Arians who have called for Dick LeBeau to be fired. So far, you're 0 for 3.

Try again.

BlastFurnace
01-03-2010, 08:08 PM
I have a bigger problem with Zerlein than I do with Arians. The playcalling worked. It was the line that kept on getting blown up that was causing plays to get derailed. Willie Colon has not improved in 3 years as a starter. Colon is the sole reason that we have "False Start # 74" in our playbook. I'll take my chances with Arians with the production we had this year.

stillers4me
01-03-2010, 08:19 PM
And the number one reason to fire Arians: All this BS will finally stop.

fansince'76
01-03-2010, 08:21 PM

Until we lose a game or two after his successor is hired, anyway. As I've said before, I didn't just imagine a decade and a half of squawking about "Cowherball."

GBMelBlount
01-03-2010, 08:22 PM
Great thread with a lot of good points and truisms. Fact is we had just as many problems last year as we did this year.

The difference is we won the close games last year and this year we lost them.

Whether it starts in training camp or permeates the locker room day in and day out, this team was not hungry like they were last year

....and it starts from the top down imo.

Here's to #7 next year! :drink:

X-Terminator
01-03-2010, 08:27 PM
Until we lose a game or two after his successor is hired, anyway. As I've said before, I didn't just imagine a decade and a half of squawking about "Cowherball."

You didn't. It's tradition around The Nation - the OC is the 2nd most likely coach to be tarred and feathered by the fans, 2nd only to the HC. No matter who has the job, there will always be bitching and calls for him to be fired even if he does a good job overall.

Psyychoward86
01-03-2010, 08:33 PM

it may only be jan.3rd, but this just may be the post of the year

MasterOfPuppets
01-03-2010, 08:39 PM
i think a few first downs in the first 12 minutes or so of the fourth might have been helpful ...:noidea:

mesaSteeler
01-03-2010, 08:57 PM
i think a few first downs in the first 12 minutes or so of the fourth might have been helpful ...:noidea:

Arians practicing clock management? What a concept. But if he did that then he couldn't get greedy with the pass as he admitted to doing after the first lost to the Bungles.

Rotorhead
01-03-2010, 09:40 PM
Ok, my last post on this subject (had to go to bed since it was late here). Please point out anywhere where I said BA was the reason for our losses this season, cause I would like to know. Yes reading comprehension is key there! I actually said he called a GOOD game, and I just cant deal with the boneheaded calls at the worst times. I completely agree our Def lost us this season, period, that is not even negotiable. My issue, for the last time, is that he (BA) makes the worst calls at the worst times, and by worst calls I mean the puzzling ones that make absolutly no sense and then ending up becoming a momentum or game changer. Get rid of those and I think he is doing a fine job. Now, read this post 2-3 times so you understand that I am not bashing him, just one part of his gameplan he has an issue with.

MACH1
01-03-2010, 09:42 PM
Ok, my last post on this subject (had to go to bed since it was late here). Please point out anywhere where I said BA was the reason for our losses this season, cause I would like to know. Yes reading comprehension is key there! I actually said he called a GOOD game, and I just cant deal with the boneheaded calls at the worst times. I completely agree our Def lost us this season, period, that is not even negotiable. My issue, for the last time, is that he (BA) makes the worst calls at the worst times, and by worst calls I mean the puzzling ones that make absolutly no sense and then ending up becoming a momentum or game changer. Get rid of those and I think he is doing a fine job. Now, read this post 2-3 times so you understand that I am not bashing him, just one part of his gameplan he has an issue with.

Bingo.

cubanstogie
01-03-2010, 09:51 PM

I understand, you are just saying you think the double pass a bad call. Because it failed you have a valid point. All I am saying is if Holmes throws it away it is a moot point. Because it was first and ten, I liked the call. Hell it worked in the SB against the seahags.BA sometimes appears to try and out think opponents and ends up out thinking himself. Due to our D struggling we have done a few things out of the ordinary, such as the onside kick. All I am saying is its hard to blame BA too much when we drop way too many passes and plays such as Mendy not knowing where the sideline is. When you throw in our inability to run with consistency and our poor secondary it shows we are an average team even when our QB has a pro bowl year.

cubanstogie
01-03-2010, 09:53 PM
Arians practicing clock management? What a concept. But if he did that then he couldn't get greedy with the pass as he admitted to doing after the first lost to the Bungles.

how do we manage the clock when we can't establish the run?

MACH1
01-03-2010, 09:54 PM
how do we manage the clock when we can't establish the run?

Can't or didn't try?

cubanstogie
01-03-2010, 09:57 PM
Can't or didn't try?

I don't have an answer to that, I know some games we tried and couldn't. It sucks when you have a lead and can't run any time off the clock or give your D rest though. Maybe we gave up on the run early some games, but I have ,my doubts whether we could have established the run anyway.

mesaSteeler
01-03-2010, 10:00 PM
Can't or didn't try?

or

Doesn't want to.

or

Doesn't believe in it.

MACH1
01-03-2010, 10:00 PM
I don't have an answer to that, I know some games we tried and couldn't. It sucks when you have a lead and can't run any time off the clock or give your D rest though. Maybe we gave up on the run early some games, but I have ,my doubts whether we could have established the run anyway.

Possibly, but it wouldn't hurt to at least try in some of those games, run a little more time off. :noidea: At least keep the D off the field that much longer. :chuckle:

T.Richardson
01-03-2010, 10:05 PM

having to score more than 38 points to win a game = problem

Allowing Chambers a 60 yard run in overtime to win the game = problem

Allowing the Raiders to march down the field, and score with 30 seconds left = problem

giving up 20+ points in the 4th quarter = problem

Bil Cowher took until nearly the end of his career to win a superbowl..

And the Offense is not the freaking problem, blame it all on Arians, his playcalling caused the defense to blow leads, his playcalling caused the team to go 9-7, what else? did Bruce Arians freaking sleep with your wife? that does equal a problem..

Too bad the defense allowed some of the worst offenses to score 20+ points.. oh wait, the offense is to blame, I forgot this stupid ass logic! maybe if I became the OC for this team, I would bring my offensive abilities from Madden and make this offense score 50 points a game.. but you would still complain now wouldnt you.

tony hipchest
01-03-2010, 10:05 PM
Maybe we gave up on the run early some games, but I have ,my doubts whether we could have established the run anyway.atleast not against stallwarts such as the raiders, chiefs and browns.

those guys are tuff.

tony hipchest
01-03-2010, 10:10 PM
And the Offense is not the freaking problem, of course not. our offense is the greatest ever. fantasy football players across america all agree.

X-Terminator
01-03-2010, 10:14 PM
or

Doesn't want to.

or

Doesn't believe in it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but did the Steelers not rush at least as much as they passed in 2007? I believe they averaged 32 rush attempts per game. Who was the OC then? Oh that's right, it was BA! Wasn't Willie Parker leading the league in rushing that season, while also leading the league in carries? Who was the OC then? Oh that's right, it was BA! If he didn't believe in running the football, why would he do that? I think BA plays to whatever the strengths of the team are. In 2007, it was the rushing attack. This season and last, it was the pass, and why not, with a top-5 QB, an excellent receiving corps, a stud TE and now a RB who is also a receiving threat? I don't blame BA at all for leaning on the pass more than the run with all that talent. Where he has problems is his situational playcalling and the red zone inefficiency. That must be improved going into next season.

cubanstogie
01-03-2010, 10:17 PM
Possibly, but it wouldn't hurt to at least try in some of those games, run a little more time off. :noidea: At least keep the D off the field that much longer. :chuckle:

I remember seeing a stat after 24 plays 12 run, 12 pass. I can't speak about the 4th quarter, after it was 27-10 I left to take my daughter to the park. I was stressed more about NE blowing the lead, and didn't even fathom the Dolphins making a game of it with a 3rd sting QB.

tony hipchest
01-03-2010, 10:19 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but did the Steelers not rush at least as much as they passed in 2007? I believe they averaged 32 rush attempts per game. Who was the OC then? Oh that's right, it was BA! Wasn't Willie Parker leading the league in rushing that season, while also leading the league in carries? Who was the OC then? Oh that's right, it was BA! If he didn't believe in running the football, why would he do that? .

why would he suddenly change his "philosophy" (which really wasnt his philosophy all along but the philosophy the HEAD COACH that was imposed upon him,)

*see my avitar*

X-Terminator
01-03-2010, 10:28 PM
why would he suddenly change his "philosophy" (which really wasnt his philosophy all along but the philosophy the HEAD COACH that was imposed upon him,)

*see my avitar*

OK then, if you're going to ask that, then why did the HEAD COACH change HIS "philosophy" and allowed him to lean more on the pass than the run? I mean, he's the head coach...surely if he wanted more commitment to the run in the game plan, he'd ask for and get it, right? Arians isn't going to go against the wishes of his HC...the guy who could have him fired the next day if he did so, right?

I get it already. It's BA's fault that the defense stunk late in games, and I don't know why I'm even wasting my bandwidth arguing about it. The defense deserves no blame whatsoever.

tony hipchest
01-03-2010, 10:38 PM
OK then, if you're going to ask that, then why did the HEAD COACH change HIS "philosophy" and allowed him to lean more on the pass than the run? I mean, he's the head coach...surely if he wanted more commitment to the run in the game plan, he'd ask for and get it, right? Arians isn't going to go against the wishes of his HC...the guy who could have him fired the next day if he did so, right?

I get it already. It's BA's fault that the defense stunk late in games, and I don't know why I'm even wasting my bandwidth arguing about it. The defense deserves no blame whatsoever.

:coffee:frankly our HC is "young, dumb and full of come".

he gave too much control to a coordinator who shouldnt have "earned" it based on spectacular play of the offensive talent we have fielded the past 3 years, despite of the outcome of last years sb...

arians job last year to win the sb was a no brainer. im sure if he woulda attempted to run the ball 8 times in the final series we would have absolutely NO arians supporters around these days.

cubanstogie
01-03-2010, 10:45 PM
i have this dream where i wake up tomorrow and arians is already out of town

Does he take our secondary and special teams coverage units with him?

mesaSteeler
01-03-2010, 10:51 PM

You and me both brother, you and me both.

Dino 6 Rings
01-03-2010, 11:09 PM
I have this dream, where I wake up and we didn't lose to the Browns, Raiders and Chiefs, and Bengals Twice...and to the pathetic Bears (who won me money today in my suicide pool on the final week with a win over the happless lions)

I have this dream where our kick coverage team can tackle

where a running play can pick up a yard on a 3rd and 1

where a defense can hold a 10 point lead, 17 point lead, 11 point lead, 10 point lead....

where the defense can stop a 3rd and 9 against the Cheifs at there own 10 yard line instead of giving up a 30 yard pass play that leads to a game tying touchdown with 5 mins to play in the game...

where the Bengals don't convert TWO 4th down attempts on their final game winning drive on our defense when they get the ball with 5 mins left.

where we don't let the bears score 10 points in the forth and score ZERO ourselves and lose by 3.

I have a dream where I wake up and we didn't only score 12 against the Bengals, 17 against the Ravens, 24 against the Raiders, 6 agains the Browns...SIX POINTS AGAINST THE MOTHER EFFING RIVAL BROWNS!!!?????....

and I wake up and the Colts played their starters last week, and the Patriots played their starters all game this week and we go to the tourney...

while I'm dreaming...my daughter wants a pony...

CargoJon
01-03-2010, 11:38 PM
Am I the only one that thinks that LeBeau has been sitting on leads and playing conservative pansy defenses when we get a lead? It happened last year in the Super Bowl and bled through badly to this year and I think I saw it this game for sure, as well as others I'm sure.

I love D LeB, but I think he sandbags the D when we get a lead instead of stepping on other teams throats like we did in the AFCCG last year against Baltimore. Maybe in part it has to do with Troy being out, but IDK...

pepsyman1
01-04-2010, 12:12 AM
Am I the only one that thinks that LeBeau has been sitting on leads and playing conservative pansy defenses when we get a lead? It happened last year in the Super Bowl and bled through badly to this year and I think I saw it this game for sure, as well as others I'm sure.

I love D LeB, but I think he sandbags the D when we get a lead instead of stepping on other teams throats like we did in the AFCCG last year against Baltimore. Maybe in part it has to do with Troy being out, but IDK...

I don't thinks its just you Cargo. I think Coach D has gotten very conservative most of the games with Troy being out...that and the fact that the whole secondary in general has been getting beaten so regularly late in games. Personally, if there's a chance we are gonna get beaten in the secondary by a team who's had trouble scoring on us most of the day I'd rather it be because we played some tight coverages and pulled out every crazy blitz scheme we had and they came up with a big play to beat it. If we got beat in that scenario, then at least we went down swinging so to speak. This soft coverage and minimal blitzes at the end of games seems so out of character for our team.

mikegrimey
01-04-2010, 12:24 AM
Didn't WP only have 2 touchdowns that 2007 season when he was leading the league in rushing.

We were still not that impressive in the red zone or goaline situations. Which is where its hurting the most.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-04-2010, 09:22 AM

I dont think he is sitting on leads with conservative defenses. I think he expects his D line to be able to not get pushed around, but that is exactly what happened to Kirschke and Eason yesterday and most of the season.

When the D-line cant push the pocket, the LB's cant get lanes to rush the passer. When they can put pressure on the QB, he has time to throw the football at William Gay, Tyrone Carter or the elderly Deshea Townsend. Teams got big plays on the Steelers late in games because the QB's had time and the older players like Farrior and backups got exposed.

Steelers will get some guys healthy like Smith, Keisel, Troy. They will draft upgraded talent at ILB, S, D line, CB and be a better defense next year.

Rick5895
01-04-2010, 09:54 AM
having to score more than 38 points to win a game = problem

Allowing Chambers a 60 yard run in overtime to win the game = problem

Allowing the Raiders to march down the field, and score with 30 seconds left = problem

giving up 20+ points in the 4th quarter = problem

Bil Cowher took until nearly the end of his career to win a superbowl..

And the Offense is not the freaking problem, blame it all on Arians, his playcalling caused the defense to blow leads, his playcalling caused the team to go 9-7, what else? did Bruce Arians freaking sleep with your wife? that does equal a problem..

Too bad the defense allowed some of the worst offenses to score 20+ points.. oh wait, the offense is to blame, I forgot this stupid ass logic! maybe if I became the OC for this team, I would bring my offensive abilities from Madden and make this offense score 50 points a game.. but you would still complain now wouldnt you.

The D has not lived up to what is expected of a Steelers D this season. That is a fact. I am not a fan of Bruce however, , although the offense has failed in the red zone this season , with the output this O has had it should've been enough to put us in the playoffs. In fact we should have won the division. I have said in other posts I have felt this offense could've helped more by not turning the ball over in critical times and actually scoring TD's when we are in the red zone (Raider game 3 X in the RZ in 1st half 3 net points)
The D has certainly crapped the bed this year, on that we all agree. The lack of turnovers have hurt us more and the dropped pics have killed us.
Consider this in the Chiefs game, dropped pic by Ike in OT, next play was Chambers 60 yard catch. (also KC opened with a KR TD)
IN the raiders mess, dropped pic by Burnett, 2 plays later TD Raiders.
In the first Bengals loss, we were in command until we gave Cinci life by allowing a pic 6.
second Bungles loss, B.Scott KR TD.

That is 4 games with that happening, take those away and we are 13-3.

Yes the D did play poorly this season, but the 8 return td given up by this team and the dropped pics hurt just as much as the soft D.

Even though I am not a fan of B.A. I can see the offense is evolving and I would like to see him here for at least 1 more season to see if he can improve on the most important thing, scoring TD's. Jaded as I am about B.A, I believe that will happen, and with a healthy D with some infusion of young, hungry talent, we will once again hoist the LOMBARDI :tt04:!!!!!

Rick5895
01-04-2010, 09:56 AM
I dont think he is sitting on leads with conservative defenses. I think he expects his D line to be able to not get pushed around, but that is exactly what happened to Kirschke and Eason yesterday and most of the season.

When the D-line cant push the pocket, the LB's cant get lanes to rush the passer. When they can put pressure on the QB, he has time to throw the football at William Gay, Tyrone Carter or the elderly Deshea Townsend. Teams got big plays on the Steelers late in games because the QB's had time and the older players like Farrior and backups got exposed.

Steelers will get some guys healthy like Smith, Keisel, Troy. They will draft upgraded talent at ILB, S, D line, CB and be a better defense next year.

Exactly:drink:

CargoJon
01-04-2010, 09:59 AM
The D has not lived up to what is expected of a Steelers D this season. That is a fact. I am not a fan of Bruce however, , although the offense has failed in the red zone this season , with the output this O has had it should've been enough to put us in the playoffs. In fact we should have won the division. I have said in other posts I have felt this offense could've helped more by not turning the ball over in critical times and actually scoring TD's when we are in the red zone (Raider game 3 X in the RZ in 1st half 3 net points)
The D has certainly crapped the bed this year, on that we all agree. The lack of turnovers have hurt us more and the dropped pics have killed us.
Consider this in the Chiefs game, dropped pic by Ike in OT, next play was Chambers 60 yard catch. (also KC opened with a KR TD)
IN the raiders mess, dropped pic by Burnett, 2 plays later TD Raiders.
In the first Bengals loss, we were in command until we gave Cinci life by allowing a pic 6.
second Bungles loss, B.Scott KR TD.

That is 4 games with that happening, take those away and we are 13-3.

Yes the D did play poorly this season, but the 8 return td given up by this team and the dropped pics hurt just as much as the soft D.

Even though I am not a fan of B.A. I can see the offense is evolving and I would like to see him here for at least 1 more season to see if he can improve on the most important thing, scoring TD's. Jaded as I am about B.A, I believe that will happen, and with a healthy D with some infusion of young, hungry talent, we will once again hoist the LOMBARDI :tt04:!!!!!

As much as I'd like to - don't forget the Bears game. :mad: We got ZERO interceptions from the guy that led the league in them, then let him march down the field to beat us.

CargoJon
01-04-2010, 10:00 AM

My only observation to your point is that why does it only seem to happen in the 4th quarter when we're winning then? Is the D Line getting tired due to lack of depth perhaps?

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-04-2010, 11:10 AM
My only observation to your point is that why does it only seem to happen in the 4th quarter when we're winning then? Is the D Line getting tired due to lack of depth perhaps?

From what I watched this season, most teams tried to run the ball against us and get in manageable 3rd down distances for most of the game. Ravens, Bengals, Browns, Raiders, Chiefs, Dolphins all seemed to run the ball early and then take shots in the passing game when they needed to come back later in the game.

Broncos never tried to throw deep, Packers threw early and often, Bears tried to establish run and Cutler INT's and the Vikings seemed relatively balanced against us.

I think teams passed when they needed to in the 3rd and 4th, with spread formations that Gay, Carter, Townsend, Farrior were exposed for their weakensses. Also, Keisel, Kirschke, Eason were not getting upfield on those instances and the DB's had to cover longer than able to. IMO, it starts up front with no pressure and ended in the back end with Gay, Carter, Townsend not being able to cover than long.

pepsyman1
01-04-2010, 01:20 PM
From what I watched this season, most teams tried to run the ball against us and get in manageable 3rd down distances for most of the game. Ravens, Bengals, Browns, Raiders, Chiefs, Dolphins all seemed to run the ball early and then take shots in the passing game when they needed to come back later in the game.

Broncos never tried to throw deep, Packers threw early and often, Bears tried to establish run and Cutler INT's and the Vikings seemed relatively balanced against us.

I think teams passed when they needed to in the 3rd and 4th, with spread formations that Gay, Carter, Townsend, Farrior were exposed for their weakensses. Also, Keisel, Kirschke, Eason were not getting upfield on those instances and the DB's had to cover longer than able to. IMO, it starts up front with no pressure and ended in the back end with Gay, Carter, Townsend not being able to cover than long.

Hey Gonzo
Do you it's the length of time they have to cover OR do you think the cushion our corners are giving is a bigger part of it. When you watch these 4th quarter drives we've given up the opposing QB's are throwing in rhythm, usually pulling the trigger under 3 seconds and seemingly ALWAYS have an open receiver. There have been so many plays when I thought Harrsion was RIGHT THERE, and only needed another split second to reach the QB but they invariably keep getting the ball out very quickly on us.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-04-2010, 01:48 PM
Hey Gonzo
Do you it's the length of time they have to cover OR do you think the cushion our corners are giving is a bigger part of it. When you watch these 4th quarter drives we've given up the opposing QB's are throwing in rhythm, usually pulling the trigger under 3 seconds and seemingly ALWAYS have an open receiver. There have been so many plays when I thought Harrsion was RIGHT THERE, and only needed another split second to reach the QB but they invariably keep getting the ball out very quickly on us.

I see guys standing in the pocket and having too much time to get the pass off, but I know what you are saying in that at times, there seems to be a decent pass rush, but the 7 yard slant or skinny post is open and passed to.

The Steelers play a lot of off man where the CB keeps things in front of him and needs to break on the ball. Kind of like the goal line pass that was thrown behind Hartline yesterday and Gay got lucky it wasnt thrown in front of him. Those are ones that I think Gay isnt reacting to well and has lousy footwork on......you could see on that play that he was not moving his feet and Hartline beat him.

I think Burnett and Lewis will be upgrades to Gay, but still hope we throw a contract at him to keep Gay in the mix. Veteran depth never hurts and I always likened William Gay to a young Townsend.

mesaSteeler
01-04-2010, 08:54 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers Should Fire Bruce Arians: The Numbers Don't Lie
Lee Heisler
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/319272-numbers-dont-lie-its-time-to-fire-bruce-arians
Correspondent Written on January 04, 2010

PITTSBURGH - 2009: Bruce Arians of the Pittsburgh Steelers poses for his 2009 NFL headshot at photo day in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. (Photo by NFL Photos) NFL Photos/Getty Images

For three seasons now, I've pleaded my case to anyone that would listen: fire Bruce Arians. And now I'm going to do so one last time.

The people that support Bruce Arians are going to point to several reasons why he should not be fired such as:

He was the offensive coordinator in 2008 when the Steelers won the Super Bowl.

Ben Roethisberger likes him.

In 2009 his offense had a quarterback throw for over 4,000 yards, two recievers go over 1,000 yards recieving, and a running back have over 1,000 yards rushing.

I can state my opinions, as I often have, about how Arians' offense is very predictable and unbalanced. Or about how I feel that he doesn't maximize his players' strengths. Or about how he doesn't make adjustments. Or about how subborn he is about certain plays such as the empty backfield set.

But instead, I'll respond to the three most common defenses for Bruce Arians that I have listed above to show you why Bruce Arians should be fired.

In response to those who say that Arians was the offensive coordinator of a Super Bowl winning team:

You are correct, he was the coordinator, but the Steelers won in spite of Arians, not because of him.

First of all, the offense was very inconsistent throughout the season.

Secondly, the times that the Steelers went to the no-huddle and allowed Ben Roethlisberger to call the plays was when the offense was the most successful. Much more successful than when Arians called the plays.

Finally, the defense carried the 2008 Steelers to the Super Bowl. Look at the stats. Or you could look at the game against the Cowboys where the defense pretty much won the game by themselves.

Now, for those who say that the Steelers should keep Arians because Ben Roethlisberger likes him.

Of course Ben Roethlisberger is going to like him, name a quarterback that wouldn't like an offensive coordinator that allows him to throw the ball over 60 percent of the time.

But by Arians doing so, he is also cutting Roethlisberger's career short.

Yes, Roethlisberger holds the ball and will take several sacks, but Arians insistence on using the empty backfield set and becoming pass happy is increasing the number of times that Roethlisberger gets hit and sacked.

Let's compare the two seasons in which Ben Roethlisberger led the Steelers to the Super Bowl.

In 2005, Ben Roethlisberger was sacked 23 times.

In 2008, Ben Roethlisberger was sacked 46 times.

Granted, the Steelers pass more now so the sacks will go up, but that is Arians' decision.

And, yes, the Steelers offensive line was better in 2005, but a good offensive coordinator puts his players in positions to succeed. So maybe he should realize that pass blocking isn't the strength of this offensive line.

And in true Bruce Arians fashion, people are going to point to certain stats such as the 4,000 yard passer, two wideouts going over 1,000 yards, along with a 1,000 yard running back in 2009.

Well, take a look at these stats.

In 2009 the Steelers ranked 21st in the NFL by scoring touchdowns in the redzone only 48.2 percent of the time. Behind teams such as Washington, Tampa Bay, Jacksonville, Kansas City, and Carolina.

In 2009 the Steelers ranked 22nd in the NFL in rushing yards per game while averaging 22.5 points per game.

In 2008 the Steelers ranked 23rd in the NFL in rushing yards per game while averaging 21.7 points per game.

In 2007 the Steelers ranked third in the NFL in rushing yards per game while averaging 24.6 yards per game.

Bruce Arians claims that his "pass-first" offense puts points on the board. But in looking at the stats from the three seasons that he has been the Steelers offensive coordinator it shows that in the one season that Arians was committed to the run was the one in which the Steelers averaged the most points.

And looking back at stats since Ben Roethlisberger came into the NFL the Steelers offense has been the most successful when they are a run first team.

In 2004, the Steelers ranked second in rushing yards and averaged 23.2 points per game.

In 2005, the Steelers ranked fifth in rushing yards and averaged 24.3 points per game.

In 2006, the Steelers ranked 10th in rushing yards and averaged 22.1 points per game.

In 2007, the Steelers ranked third in rushing yards and averaged 24.6 points per game.

In 2008, the Steelers ranked 23rd in rushing yards and averaged 21.7 points per game.

In 2009, the Steelers ranked 22nd in rushing yards and averaged 22.5 points per game.

The numbers show that when the Steelers run the ball well, they score more points.

Now let's look back at the numbers from Arians' only other time as offensive coordinator with the Cleveland Browns:

2001 Browns: 17.8 points per game, 31st in total offense, 31st in rushing offense, and 28th in passing offense.

2002 Browns: 21.5 points per game, 23rd in total offense, 23rd in rushing offense, and 18th in passing offense.

2003 Browns: 15.9 points per game, 26th in total offense, 20th in rushing offense, and 25th in passing offense.

Those numbers are not very impressive to me.

So while Bruce Arians loves his "pass-first" offense and his 4,000 yard passer and such, he needs to realize that as an offense there is only one stat that matters:

Points scored.

The numbers don't don't lie, Bruce Arians. So it's time to take your pass-happy offense and hit the road.

Venom
01-04-2010, 09:18 PM
Hello , my name is Charlie Weiss

TackleMeBen
01-04-2010, 09:21 PM
i was listening to some radio sports show and they were discussing this.. and they said arians wont get fired b/c ben gets what ben wants. and we all know ben wants him to stay

SteelMusic
01-04-2010, 09:22 PM
I just read that before coming here -- spot on. I do think that our O play calling got much better the last few games, but I still don't want to see BA back. Our offense is way to inconsistent under his system and I don't see that changing.

With all of the talent we have on the Offensive side of the ball, I would love to see what an elite, or even decent OC could do with it. I just think our talented offense deserves better.

Psyychoward86
01-04-2010, 09:26 PM
with us not making the playoffs, i kind of which our offense was a complete failure this year so we could guarantee that Arians wouldnt be here anymore as an OC.

xbroughneck
01-04-2010, 09:46 PM
The Steelers can win with Arians. It's proven.

If he is let go though, I would be happy.

I don't think he calls a good game, some of his offensive sets should be thrown out, and he seems to have a thing for Spaeth and Corey Davis.

I would like to see someone argue our offense would be WORSE with a different coordinator considering the talent we have on offense.

Not saying Arians did anything this year to deserve getting fired (and he won't), but the offense needs to be tweaked.

pepsyman1
01-04-2010, 09:50 PM

So while Bruce Arians loves his "pass-first" offense and his 4,000 yard passer and such, he needs to realize that as an offense there is only one stat that matters:

Points scored.

The numbers don't don't lie, Bruce Arians. So it's time to take your pass-happy offense and hit the road.

No argument from me. Moving the ball up and down the field but not scoring the points to go with it isn't the way to a championship. As "pass-first" as Arians is and the offenses he'd like to be compared too, we don't score anywhere NEAR what the high powered offenses score. The big time offenses usually score WELL OVER 400 points a year. If we were doing that then I'd say whatever he was doing works, but to have the image of one of those high power offenses and no points to show for it is just a shell game that will get us nowhere.

lardlad
01-04-2010, 10:04 PM
Bruce Arians claims that his "pass-first" offense puts points on the board.

That gets the team down the field to kick a field goal, so yes I guess it does put three on the board.
(I agree with just about everything you have said, I just wanted to add this to it)

Arians has NO clue what to do on first, second OR third and goal. And with few exceptions does he know how to close out a game. Parker and the run game at the end of the mami game was pretty nostalgic, I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Also I want to re-enforce what you said about the 2min drill. Now granted the 2 min drill can be pretty effective on it's own. But man it seems so obvious that Ben calls a better game than Arians. And Ben loves him because he picks out the plays from the playbook they are going to run.

lardlad
01-04-2010, 10:31 PM
BA has to go. They left tons of touchdowns out there this season because he can't call a short game. Believe me I am as disgusted as anyone when it comes to the defense blowing leads, and they have a real problem there. LeBeau is proven, he gets a mulligan. The offense's talent is what is winning games, could you imagine if Whiz stayed on as OC? Cripes, they's be putting up 30+ nearly every game. How good were they when Roethlisberger was just starting out? He is sooo much better now, and the receivers are way way better. If this offense plays like they should, we would not be worried about the defense giving up leads, they would be well rested in the 4th qtr and would close it out because we would control the clock. Arians is too quick to get down field and kick a FG (because he can't finish).

I guess it is an argument you cannot prove, but I am convinced he is hurting the offense more than he helps it. The frikkin guy is clueless on goal to go and puts Ben in the shotgun on 3rd and >1. I have seen one great call this season from the sidelines. It was a screen to Moore, that was set up by a block from Holmes that was totally designed to work that way. It was a couple weeks ago. Absolute beautiful play, it was text book, but that is it, when something happens it's because of talent of the players, not brilliant play calling. Ben gets hit so many times because he has to constantly go through his progressions, if he was not as elusive as he is…

I guess it comes down to who is available. But I cannot say I like his play calling at all. As far as I can tell, Ben could call an entire game himself and probably do no worse, why have him? Most of the big plays come when it all breaks down, maybe it is Ben, but I think it's likely more BA.