PDA

View Full Version : What's our draft position?

Mags87
01-03-2010, 07:11 PM
well since everything is done for us now, what would our draft position be with respect to the game later tonight? would we finish above or below the jets if they were to miss the playoffs?

xbroughneck
01-03-2010, 07:15 PM
Not sure, but I'd love to see the Steelers draft Taylor Mays out of USC, then pick up a free agent corner for depth.

Troy will be back and we'll probably let Tyrone Carter walk.

The last USC safety we grabbed ended up being pretty good. If I'm the Steelers I figure out a way to get Taylor Mays. I'd swap our first and second for a higher first to get Mays.

JCPsteelers
01-03-2010, 07:17 PM
Not sure, but I'd love to see the Steelers draft Taylor Mays out of USC, then pick up a free agent corner for depth.

The last USC safety we grabbed ended up being pretty good. If I'm the Steelers I figure out a way to get Taylor Mays.

Taylor Mays isn't very good in coverage and wouldnt' be a good fit with Troy P..

We need a DL, CB or OL in the 1st round..

Sharkissle29
01-03-2010, 07:18 PM

The last USC safety we grabbed ended up being pretty good. If I'm the Steelers I figure out a way to get Taylor Mays. I'd swap our first and second for a higher first to get Mays.

Last i checked, i dont think there are any quality CB FA this upcoming offseason....trying to find the list again

Nighthawk
01-03-2010, 07:19 PM
Troy wasn't very good at coverage in College.. I don't get all the hate Mays gets about it.

Mags87
01-03-2010, 07:19 PM

imo i think we should get Cody outta 'Bama. He's one of the best looking nose tackles we'll have a shot at for a while and that is definately something that a 3-4 D needs.

BehindSteelCurtain
01-03-2010, 07:20 PM
Mays hasnt done anything this year. Love to see OL, DL, DB

xbroughneck
01-03-2010, 07:21 PM
Taylor Mays isn't very good in coverage and wouldnt' be a good fit with Troy P..

We need a DL, CB or OL in the 1st round..

I'd argue that...

1) he wouldn't be worse than Ty Carter in coverage

2) it's arguable that he wouldn't be as good as Ryan Clark.

That said, you're right though. He's a strong safety and the Steelers need a ball hawk back there.

I'm also not sold on Timmons being a middle linebacker. He doesn't fight off blocks nearly well enough. Maybe look at linebacker if there is a good one available. Farrior isn't getting younger.

xbroughneck
01-03-2010, 07:22 PM
Troy wasn't very good at coverage in College.. I don't get all the hate Mays gets about it.

I see what they are saying though. Mays is a strong safety. Troy's position.

Now, with Troy being prone to injury I wouldn't mind having a backup strong safety like Mays.

I'd much rather have Mays than Carter as a backup.

steelerchad
01-03-2010, 07:25 PM
If the Jets win they're in and we would draft ahead of them. If they lose they are 8-8 and would draft ahead of us.
I believe we'll be drafting 19th if the Jets win directly in front of Houston and 20th if they lose.
We will also be playing the 3rd place schedule next year which means we'll have the Titans on the road and the Raiders at home again next year. The Rest of the games are set. Our division twice each. The AFC East. The NFC South.

Kratos
01-03-2010, 07:27 PM
Too bad Denver didn't end up winning since we were out anyway, we would have picked up a spot. But it'll probably be 19.

Mags87
01-03-2010, 07:29 PM
so the only thing that tonights game is that we can gain one spot in the draft if the Jets win. well it is a reason to watch a game and i do loves me some football. so down with Cincy!

steelerchad
01-03-2010, 07:30 PM
Yes. At this point we should be Jets fans to get 1 higher draft spot. Every little bit helps.

xbroughneck
01-03-2010, 07:33 PM
Yes. At this point we should be Jets fans to get 1 higher draft spot. Every little bit helps.

Jets Jets Jets!!!!!:applaudit:

(but for our season)
:banging::banging::coffee:

JCPsteelers
01-03-2010, 07:55 PM
I'd argue that...

1) he wouldn't be worse than Ty Carter in coverage

2) it's arguable that he wouldn't be as good as Ryan Clark.

That said, you're right though. He's a strong safety and the Steelers need a ball hawk back there.

I'm also not sold on Timmons being a middle linebacker. He doesn't fight off blocks nearly well enough. Maybe look at linebacker if there is a good one available. Farrior isn't getting younger.

Timmons was inconsistent this year, no doubt.. We do need backup LB's..

Sharkissle29
01-03-2010, 08:12 PM
Timmons was inconsistent this year, no doubt.. We do need backup LB's..

I think with more work against the run, Timmons will be a good LB for us in the future. He is good in pass coverage, but reacts a bit slow against the run.

if we resign Hampton, i'd go either CB or ILB in the upcoming draft in the 1st.

BlackNGold88
01-03-2010, 08:39 PM
No to Taylor Mays, he won't even be there when we pick anyways. He is a SS and we don't need that right now. Can't afford to waste a first rounder on depth. We need a starting CB or 2, a FS, a young NT, maybe another young DE.

SteelersTilIDie
01-03-2010, 09:26 PM
I see what they are saying though. Mays is a strong safety. Troy's position.

Now, with Troy being prone to injury I wouldn't mind having a backup strong safety like Mays.

I'd much rather have Mays than Carter as a backup.

Yeah, but you don't draft a future back up with a #1 pick

MasterOfPuppets
01-03-2010, 09:59 PM
as far as i can tell, we'll be picking 19th if the jets win...20th if they lose... had we not went on this 3 game useless win streak, we'd be picking 10th....:doh:

Steely McSmash
01-04-2010, 12:54 PM
Yeah, but you don't draft a future back up with a #1 pick

I think you need to draft somebody who can play SS or FS and is starter caliber. It would help tremendously to close out these late game issues and would provide a backup to either position. Essentially a much better version of Ty Carter.

I don't think Mays is that guy, from the scouting reports I've read on him, he hasn't improved much in his college career from a habits and technique perspective. his coverage skills are poor, ball skills are poor and he also is one of these guys who tackles like a missile without wrapping up his guy (probably watched too much Polamalu film:chuckle:)