PDA

View Full Version : KC, Cleveland, Oakland

Eztarget
01-03-2010, 06:19 PM
That sums up our lost season. Win ONE of those games we're in win them all we're the AFC North champ.

The NFL is such a fine line from season to season. I'm thinking with a healthy Troy we win at least ONE of those games. Oh well time to retool some aging positions.

Bluedust
01-03-2010, 06:22 PM
Same as the 2006 season, if we beat Oakland things would have been different. Same thing every year.

tony hipchest
01-03-2010, 06:24 PM
im thinking we put together an effective offensive gameplan and we win one of those games too.

having troy back wasnt an option. running the ball was.

ravens have no problem running the ball vs. the raiders.

cheifs have no problem running the ball 25 times and watching ther broncos choke away their season.

teh browns have no problem having a runner put up nearly 300 yds vs the chiefs.

etc....

xbroughneck
Same as the 2006 season, if we beat Oakland things would have been different. Same thing every year.

If it were the same thing every year we would win the Super Bowl this year.:doh:

steeltheone
We should beat any of those 3 teams without Troy, Harrison and woodley.

Preacher
01-03-2010, 06:26 PM
im thinking we put together an effective offensive gameplan and we win one of those games too.

cheifs have no problem running the ball 25 times and watching ther broncos choke away their season.

etc....

Wow. it wasn't the offense that gave up leads in HOW MANY leads in games this year? It wasn't the offense that gave up leads in the playoffs last year.

Sorry... We are out of the playoffs, because of the defense this year.

Here's to hoping it gets fixed for next year.

xbroughneck
01-03-2010, 06:27 PM

etc....

Offense is why the Steelers lost against the Browns.

They lost against KC and OAKLAND because of the defense.

I personally think Arians had a good year this year. I think he's a horrible situational coordinator, but he has a QB that can make his system work. Plus, we had a good run attack this year as well (even though I hate our scheme).

tony hipchest
01-03-2010, 06:27 PM
We should beat any of those 3 teams without Troy, Harrison and woodley.we were crippled on offense in all three of those games. theres no way we would even be close w/o troy, harrison, and woodley being out (although im sure the arians apologists will chime in at any point now stating otherwise.)

Preacher
01-03-2010, 06:29 PM

I personally think Arians had a good year this year. I think he's a horrible situational coordinator, but he has a QB that can make his system work. Plus, we had a good run attack this year as well (even though I hate our scheme).

Bingo. Also our first lost to the Bengals. Our only loss to the Ravens were the defense too. Oh yeah, also the loss to chicago.

That makes what... 5 games on the defense, and 1 on the offense. But you know, if we just RAN THE BALL MORE, our defense would have played better!

Can you believe Arians missed all those tackles? :wink02:

Bluedust

Yeah, I will totally admit the Browns game was absolutely pathetic, I can't explain that BS at all, but besides that, the stats and facts are right there.

I'm only 26, so I don't know if it's just too hard for people living in the Steel Curtain era to actually admit our defense sucks, but to deflect the blame onto our offense, with the stats they put up (hint: records broken) is insanity.

xbroughneck
we were crippled on offense in all three of those games. theres no way we would even be close w/o troy, harrison, and woodley being out (although im sure the arians apologists will chime in at any point now stating otherwise.)

In two of those games we put up enough points to win. The defense didn't hold.

I mean come on. I don't like Arian's offensive scheme (never have) but I'm not blind enough to not see we had a much bigger problem on defense when Troy and Aaron Smith went out due to injuries.:doh:

GoSlash27
01-03-2010, 06:31 PM
The key difference: Winners place blame inside to look for opportunities to improve instead of placing it outside to factors beyond their control.
We're not in the playoffs this year, and that's all on us. No blame on any other team. But on the plus side, we're 9-7 on the year. Another winning season for the Black 'n' Gold

Edman
01-03-2010, 06:32 PM
Despite the Winning record, this season is still a total waste and an even bigger disappointment than 2006.

There is a list of problems with this team a mile long. From the coaches, to the schemes, to the personnel. The problems are long, and they are great. We cannot sit on our hands. It's time to get to work to fix them, or else we'll see more of the same next year, or even worse.

Preacher
In two of those games we put up enough points to win. The defense didn't hold.

I mean come on. I don't like Arian's offensive scheme (never have) but I'm not blind enough to see we had a much bigger problem on defense when Troy and Aaron Smith went out due to injuries.:doh:

You know, the bottom line is, our offense lost RB's, OL, a WR, and even a QB for a game last year, and the offense still was able to pull it our in the end.

Our defense loses 2 people, and they give up five games (plus 3 playoffs games the Offense saved them from in the playoffs last year).

Bluedust
The key difference: Winners place blame inside to look for opportunities to improve instead of placing it outside to factors beyond their control.
We're not in the playoffs this year, and that's all on us. No blame on any other team. But on the plus side, we're 9-7 on the year. Another winning season for the Black 'n' Gold

Yep, as I said in another post, I'm glad they went out fighting and not like they were on the 5 game losing streak. The last 3 games they looked like champions so I'm content.

tony hipchest
01-03-2010, 06:33 PM

we are 19th in the league in rushing this year even though we are tops in possession time and hold the lead in nearly every game.

Preacher
01-03-2010, 06:34 PM
we are 19th in the league in rushing this year even though we are tops in possession time and hold the lead in nearly every game.

Yep,

its a shame we have to keep throwing the ball because we can't trust the defense.

MaidenIndiana
01-03-2010, 06:35 PM
we were crippled on offense in all three of those games. theres no way we would even be close w/o troy, harrison, and woodley being out (although im sure the arians apologists will chime in at any point now stating otherwise.)

Just how was our offense crippled in these games? Big Ben started and played in all three games and only went out toward the end of the KC game. At the very least we should've won one of those games. Offense wasn't great this year, but it was good enough to beat those three reams. Our defense let us down this year and Arlens didn't have a damn thing to do with our defense

tony hipchest
01-03-2010, 06:35 PM

Here's to hoping it gets fixed for next year.sorry preacher, but that is not your call. it is subjective and left to opinion. :noidea:

i can think of 5 games this season arians coulda put away if he werent coaching to pad his resume and hopefully land HC'ing consideration.

Bluedust
01-03-2010, 06:37 PM

We are also ranked 31st in Defense in the 4th quarter, where we've happened to allow 21, 21, 22, 14, etc etc points.. so... I don't know why you keep arguing?

Is it really that hard to come to grips with the fact that our defense blows this year?

plenewken

And we're 30th in red zone efficiency. Pretty pathetic if you ask me.

xbroughneck

Even at 19th..(yeah I'd prefer we were higher...around the 12th mark), we have a 1,000 yard rusher, plus Willie put up good yards.

The defense gave up too many points this year.

xbroughneck
01-03-2010, 06:38 PM

Agreed. Completely agree.

My only contention is that the defense was a MUCH bigger problem this season.

tony hipchest
01-03-2010, 06:40 PM
And we're 30th in red zone efficiency. Pretty pathetic if you ask me.thats the defenses fault according the the gurus.

ben 4000+
2 wr 1000+
mende 1000+
middle of the pack points scored-

= arians exonerated, defense FAIL.

then again, stats dont matter. :noidea:

Preacher
01-03-2010, 06:41 PM
sorry preacher, but that is not your call. it is subjective and left to opinion. :noidea:

i can think of 5 games this season arians coulda put away if he werent coaching to pad his resume and hopefully land HC'ing consideration.

Sorry Tony, but that is not your call. it is subjective and left to opinion as well. I can think of about 6 other games we would have lost had we played good ole 3 yards and cloud of mediocrity football.

I guess we have different opinions.

One thing is for sure though... this defense gives up leads, and has done with Troy and Aaron in the playoffs all 3 times last year as well.

Or is 4th quarter scoring a matter of opinion too?

tony hipchest
01-03-2010, 06:42 PM
Even at 19th..(yeah I'd prefer we were higher...around the 12th mark), we have a 1,000 yard rusher, plus Willie put up good yards.

The defense gave up too many points this year.

i wonder why :scratchchin:

stb_steeler
01-03-2010, 06:44 PM
Wow. it wasn't the offense that gave up leads in HOW MANY leads in games this year? It wasn't the offense that gave up leads in the playoffs last year.

Here's to hoping it gets fixed for next year.

Opposite of last year...it happens!

Preacher
i wonder why :scratchchin:

Same reason they did in the playoffs last year??:noidea:

Bluedust
thats the defenses fault according the the gurus.

ben 4000+
2 wr 1000+
mende 1000+
middle of the pack points scored-

= arians exonerated, defense FAIL.

then again, stats dont matter. :noidea:

I honestly don't get what you're trying to argue, unless you're trolling, in 5 of the 7 losses, we had the LEAD, and the defense gave it up.

And you can also see the easily provided offensive stats (hint: very nice), so, what are you saying? That it's the Offense's fault that if the Defense gives up 40 points we should be able to make at least 41?

Like honestly, I don't get you.

Fifty8
01-03-2010, 06:47 PM
The telling stat to me was when the anonoucers today said we had allowed 22 straight redzone scores. That is pathetic.

Can't wait to get Troy and Aaron back and draft a corner.

Bluedust
01-03-2010, 06:49 PM
The telling stat to me was when the anonoucers today said we had allowed 22 straight redzone scores. That is pathetic.

Exactly, so I don't understand what we're arguing.

Yes, OF COURSE the Offense could be better, no one is saying otherwise, but you're retarded if you think that is what caused us to lose any game except the Browns debacle.

edit: I'm not saying this to you Fifty. :)

xbroughneck
01-03-2010, 06:50 PM

+1
And bring in a free agent safety. Can't be hard finding one better than Ty Carter.

plenewken
01-03-2010, 06:52 PM
I honestly don't get what you're trying to argue, unless you're trolling, in 5 of the 7 losses, we had the LEAD, and the defense gave it up.

And you can also see the easily provided offensive stats (hint: very nice), so, what are you saying? That it's the Offense's fault that if the Defense gives up 40 points we should be able to make at least 41?

Like honestly, I don't get you.

What LEAD exactly are you talking about? 3 pts? 4 pts? You call that a lead? Seriously?

What about winning the toss in overtime against KC and BAL, and being friggin' unable to put 3 pts on the board? Is that the defense fault? Heck, the offense even had the ball TWICE in overtime against Baltimore, and the Ravens ended up winning the game.

Puhleeze!

steve314
01-03-2010, 06:55 PM
That sums up our lost season. Win ONE of those games we're in win them all we're the AFC North champ.

Unless they slacked off after beating KC and Oakland, for example, and lost to GB and Baltimore. There are lots of ways of ending up 9-7.

Bluedust
01-03-2010, 06:55 PM
What LEAD exactly are you talking about? 3 pts? 4 pts? You call that a lead? Seriously?

What about winning the toss in overtime against KC and BAL, and being friggin' unable to put 3 pts on the board? Is that the defense fault? Heck, the offense even had the ball TWICE in overtime against Baltimore, and the Ravens ended up winning the game.

Puhleeze!

We've lost 5 of 7 games having the lead going into the 4th. That's a lead, yes.

I know it's tough for some people to rationalize the "blue-collar hard work ethic Steeler defense" sucking dick, but it was true this year, sorry.

Edit: And just like in politics and anything, people are putting this into one side or the other only, all three phases have failed this year, but it was the Defense that has failed consistently all year, so to blame the Offense would be dishonest.

Preacher
01-03-2010, 06:58 PM

No No no....

See, if we ran the ball more, somehow that would stop the rezone scores on defense.

Oh wait. No no no, see, troy P. is so great, he is able to defend the ENTIRE endzone! (nevermind the playoffs last year where we kept getting torched in the fourth quarter, which I continue to harp on until I get an answer why that is different than this year).

this year, our defense sucks. Part of it is our injuries. Part of it is the fact that it was figured out. The same thing happened in 2002, leading to a horrid 2003. Same thing happened in 2005, leading to a bad 2006 defensive season (they just threw on us.

My expectation, is the same as before. Lebeau will go back to the drawing board. he'll come with his list for Santa on players he wants... They'll get some of them, then he and the head coach will figure out how to fix it.

Had we played with this year's offense last year, or last year's defense this year, we would have been undeafeted. I absolutely believe that.

JCPsteelers
01-03-2010, 07:00 PM
The KC loss was probably the most unexplainable one. Going up and down the field on that team the whole game and losing it in overtime was just ridiculous.

I could at least see that the Raiders and Browns outplayed us..

fansince'76
01-03-2010, 07:01 PM
Oh wait. No no no, see, troy P. is so great, he is able to defend the ENTIRE endzone! (nevermind the playoffs last year where we kept getting torched in the fourth quarter, which I continue to harp on until I get an answer why that is different than this year).

:toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

Bluedust
01-03-2010, 07:01 PM
No No no....

See, if we ran the ball more, somehow that would stop the rezone scores on defense.

this year, our defense sucks. Part of it is our injuries. Part of it is the fact that it was figured out. The same thing happened in 2002, leading to a horrid 2003. Same thing happened in 2005, leading to a bad 2006 defensive season (they just threw on us.

My expectation, is the same as before. Lebeau will go back to the drawing board. he'll come with his list for Santa on players he wants... They'll get some of them, then he and the head coach will figure out how to fix it.

Had we played with this year's offense last year, or last year's defense this year, we would have been undeafeted. I absolutely believe that.

I only joined this board this year, did you guys have to go through this in the other years where we didn't win it all? I mean this is insanity, and I've even been called negative. lol (edit: I am, but I mean in relation to these armageddon posts)

plenewken
01-03-2010, 07:07 PM
We've lost 5 of 7 games having the lead going into the 4th. That's a lead, yes.

I know it's tough for some people to rationalize the "blue-collar hard work ethic Steeler defense" sucking dick, but it was true this year, sorry.

I noticed you didn't try to dispute my point about the 2 overtime losses when we won the toss. I know, you have no argument.

I never said our defense played solid this year but objectively, they did a reasonably decent job considering the injuries they faced and the fact that our offense couldn't 1) stay on the field 2) kill the clock 3) score more than 3pts most of the time.

Ever wondered why the defense gave up points in the 4th quarter and not before?

Preacher
01-03-2010, 07:07 PM
I only joined this board this year, did you guys have to go through this in the other years where we didn't win it all? I mean this is insanity, and I've even been called negative. lol (edit: I am, but I mean in relation to these armageddon posts)

:huh:

Not sure how my post is an "Armageddon" post. This year, our defense sucked. We gave up way too many redzone TD's, 3rd downs, etc. etc.

That is my reflection of the past 4 months.

I fully expect us to be a top defense again next year. I think that is called hope.

Could you explain yourself a bit more?

Bluedust
01-03-2010, 07:08 PM
I noticed you didn't try to dispute my point about the 2 overtime losses when we won the toss. I know, you have no argument.

I never said our defense played solid this year but objectively, they did a reasonably decent job considering the injuries they faced and the fact that our offense couldn't 1) stay on the field 2) kill the clock 3) score more than 3pts most of the time.

hai

Edit: And just like in politics and anything, people are putting this into one side or the other only, all three phases have failed this year, but it was the Defense that has failed consistently all year, so to blame the Offense would be dishonest.

Bluedust
01-03-2010, 07:09 PM
:huh:

Not sure how my post is an "Armageddon" post. This year, our defense sucked. We gave up way too many redzone TD's, 3rd downs, etc. etc.

That is my reflection of the past 4 months.

I fully expect us to be a top defense again next year. I think that is called hope.

Could you explain yourself a bit more?

OH, I wasn't talking about you, I was agreeing with you and talking about all these other ones, sorry.

Preacher
01-03-2010, 07:11 PM

Sorry, but that is wrong. Steelers are 4th in the league in TOP.

That's right. 4TH. Meaning there were only 3 other offenses that held on to the ball as long as the Steelers did this year.

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/average-time-of-possession-net-of-ot

And a funny thing happened on the way to those overtime games... The defense blew leads in every one of them.

So why is it, that the defense gets a pass??

Preacher
01-03-2010, 07:12 PM
OH, I wasn't talking about you, I was agreeing with you and talking about all these other ones, sorry.
:thumbsup:

And yes, it is. You should have seen it around here last year after a WIN! :doh:

tony hipchest
01-03-2010, 07:13 PM
Same reason they did in the playoffs last year??:noidea::rofl: no matter how GREAT a defense is (yes, last years defense was great)... they give up points and not even the best of the best pitches a shut out every week

next.

tony hipchest
01-03-2010, 07:14 PM
So why is it, that the defense gets a pass??because the defense has the balls to sack up and carry the load when the other unit is hurting? :hunch:

tony hipchest
01-03-2010, 07:20 PM
Part of it is the fact that it was figured out.

:rofl: being decimated, old, and gassed is far from being "figured out".

does that means arians offense has been "figured out" for a third time?

i dont mind the bashing of lebeau as long as it isnt done as a blind, knee-jerk defense of arians (and that is what it has become).

Preacher
01-03-2010, 07:28 PM
:rofl: no matter how GREAT a defense is (yes, last years defense was great)... they give up points and not even the best of the best pitches a shut out every week

next.
Bwahahahahahaha :toofunny::toofunny:

THAT is your answer?

Come on Tony.

They allowed 14 points in the 4th against San Diego... only reason we won is because the offense matched them with 14 points in fourth.

They allowed 7 against the Ravens (not bad, but it took two INT's to stop them, instead of stopping them on downs).

They allowed 14 in the Superbowl.

Two games before the playoffs, they allowed ANOTHER 14 points.

AGAIN.......ALL IN THE 4th QUARTER.

Um Tony... When your starting pitcher gets lit up, that means there's something wrong. being lit up 3 out of 5 times (and having to make spectacular plays just to get off the field the 4th time) is more than just not "pitching a shut out".

Sorry, you can blame Arians all you want. But those stats tell us there are problems with our defense, WITH OR WITHOUT troy.

Preacher
01-03-2010, 07:30 PM
:rofl: being decimated, old, and gassed is far from being "figured out".

does that means arians offense has been "figured out" for a third time?

i dont mind the bashing of lebeau as long as it isnt done as a blind, knee-jerk defense of arians (and that is what it has become).

Huh? Defense of Arians?

Me thinks the bashing of Arians is done in defense of Lebeau.

Gotta blame someone... can't be lebeau. Let's get Arians..hes the whipping horse that DARED changed something. :rolleyes:

Bluedust
01-03-2010, 07:32 PM
because the defense has the balls to sack up and carry the load when the other unit is hurting? :hunch:

Yeah you're absolutely a troll, try harder and be more subtle next time.

Larry
01-03-2010, 07:36 PM
Yeah, our defense wasn''t a problem at all this season....:rofl:

Larry
01-03-2010, 07:41 PM

I'm not sure he's a troll, but he's pretty stupid.

Bluedust
01-03-2010, 07:51 PM
I'm not sure he's a troll, but he's pretty stupid.

I've been yelled at too much so I try to give people the benefit of the doubt now.

X-Terminator
01-03-2010, 07:51 PM
Yeah, our defense wasn''t a problem at all this season....:rofl:

Evidently to most, there was absolutely no issue whatsoever. It's the offense's fault...even though they put them in position to win every one of those games that the defense blew in the 4th.

Don't give a damn if the lead is 3 or 30 in the 4th Q...when the defense has a chance to make a stop, they should be expected to get the job done. I don't know why that is so hard for most of them to understand or admit.

Bluedust
01-03-2010, 07:53 PM
Evidently to most, there was absolutely no issue whatsoever. It's the offense's fault...even though they put them in position to win every one of those games that the defense blew in the 4th.

Don't give a damn if the lead is 3 or 30 in the 4th Q...when the defense has a chance to make a stop, they should be expected to get the job done. I don't know why that is so hard for most of them to understand or admit.

Yeah I don't get it, we can all agree the Offense wasn't the greatest this year, but they were FAR from our problem.

tony hipchest
01-03-2010, 08:00 PM

Don't give a damn if the lead is 3 or 30 in the 4th Q...when the defense has a chance to make a stop, they should be expected to get the job done. I don't know why that is so hard for most of them to understand or admit.evidently to MOST, troy and smith matter. its just the head in the sand crowd cant accept or even acknowledge this fact.

tony hipchest
01-03-2010, 08:01 PM
Yeah you're absolutely a troll, try harder and be more subtle next time.take it up with the board admin then. im sure he will boot me for trolling if he sees fit.

Bluedust
01-03-2010, 08:02 PM
evidently to MOST, troy and smith matter. its just the head in the sand crowd cant accept or even acknowledge this fact.

Troll Confirmed. You won't address any of our issues and keep posting your talking points.

Lets dance to Lady Gaga. :D

MACH1
01-03-2010, 08:08 PM

Don't confuse them with facts about how horrid the red zone O is. :rolleyes:

And yes the #6 ranked D stunk it up.

MACH1
01-03-2010, 08:10 PM
take it up with the board admin then. im sure he will boot me for trolling if he sees fit.

:fishing:

How's the fishing.

:chuckle:

BlastFurnace
01-03-2010, 08:10 PM

Wow....a newbe identifying trolls now. Tony isn't a troll.

X-Terminator
01-03-2010, 08:11 PM
evidently to MOST, troy and smith matter. its just the head in the sand crowd cant accept or even acknowledge this fact.

I've never said they DIDN'T matter. But their absence from the lineup does not excuse the defense from shitting the bed with the game on the line against teams who, up to that point, couldn't score in a brothel with a roll of $100 bills.

Bluedust
01-03-2010, 08:13 PM
Wow....a newbe identifying trolls now. Tony isn't a troll.

A newbie on here, but I've had the internet since '93 with AOL, I can identify people that are just fishing for emotional responses.

fansince'76
01-03-2010, 08:14 PM
I've never said they DIDN'T matter. But their absence from the lineup does not excuse the defense from shitting the bed with the game on the line against teams who, up to that point, couldn't score in a brothel with a roll of $100 bills.

How dare you say that about future HoFers like Bruce Gradkowski and Louis (second coming of Jerry Rice) Murphy! :nono:

Bluedust
01-03-2010, 08:15 PM
How dare you say that about future HoFers like Bruce Gradkowski and Louis (second coming of Jerry Rice) Murphy! :nono:

Dude Arians should have game-planned against Bruce Godkowski better, wtf is your problem?

MACH1
01-03-2010, 08:18 PM
A newbie on here, but I've had the internet since '93 with AOL, I can identify people that are just fishing for emotional responses.

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/PTGPOD/826309~Chocolate-Chip-Cookie-on-White-Background-Posters.jpg

:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

BlastFurnace
01-03-2010, 08:19 PM

LOL...your response is actually funny..."I've had the Internet since 93"
:rofl:

tony hipchest
01-03-2010, 08:22 PM
Troll Confirmed. You won't address any of our issues and keep posting your talking points.

Lets dance to Lady Gaga. :D keep up the good work on the troll patrol... :thumbsup:

Preacher
01-03-2010, 08:23 PM

Bingo... not to mention last year, when in 4 of 5 games, they did the same thing towards the end of the year, WITH Troy and Aaron.

Its as if Troy's replacement was the only one missing tackles this year...

Heck, Today's hit was the hardest hit we've seen all year. Last year, we had that kind of hit almost every game.... either the O or the D (or both)

Bluedust
01-03-2010, 08:24 PM
keep up the good work on the troll patrol... :thumbsup:

At least you're good at detecting it. :D

Bluedust
LOL...your response is actually funny..."I've had the Internet since 93"
:rofl:

I know, those old 9600 baud modems were a goddamn bitch.

Psyychoward86
why does everybody forget about our 2nd best player on defense?

Bluedust
01-03-2010, 08:27 PM
why does everybody forget about our 2nd best player on defense?

ARAINS??? FIRE HIM11

Quasar
01-03-2010, 10:33 PM
Think of this: in 2008, our Super Bowl season, we lost 2 games by >7 points. In 2009, we lost no games by >7 points. Go figure.

plenewken
01-04-2010, 02:29 PM
Think of this: in 2008, our Super Bowl season, we lost 2 games by >7 points. In 2009, we lost no games by >7 points. Go figure.

Our schedule this year was much easier than last year.