PDA

View Full Version : Offseason Priorities

Fifty8
01-03-2010, 07:32 PM
Well as we look to be headed to an uncapped year, what are the priorities?

1) Draft best CB available or OL in 1st rd
2) Draft the other position in rnd 2
3) Are Woodley and Holmes entering last year of contracts? If so extensions are in order for sure.
4) Get rid of Gay.

Questions:
1) What is Parker's status and future/or not with Steelers?
2) How about Batch?

Other thoughts?

BlackNGold88
01-03-2010, 07:37 PM
Woodley and Holmes are first priority imo. Then work on getting better through the draft. We need a FS and at least 2 CBs. I don't think you can go wrong with Nate Allen USF FS later in the draft. Hopefully we can nabbed a CB in the first 2 rounds and land one in FA. Booden or Rogers should be FA and would be instant upgrades over Gay.

Edman
01-03-2010, 07:39 PM
1) Arians is gone
2) Ligashesky is gone
3) We draft for Defense. The D is just too old. Farrior's age has caught up to him.
4) Parker is gone
5) Hampton is gone
6) Lebeau is gone

That's out of the top of my head.

JCPsteelers
01-03-2010, 07:40 PM
Gay is cheap and I doubt they will get rid of him even with his bad play this year..

Need to figure out what they are going to do with Hampton... IF they don't sign him they will need to draft a 3-4 nose tackle in the 1st or 2nd round.

Need to improve the secondary and the offensive line.

BlackNGold88
01-03-2010, 07:41 PM
1) Arians is gone
2) Ligashesky is gone
3) We draft for Defense. The D is just too old. Farrior's age has caught up to him.
4) Parker is gone
5) Hampton is gone
6) Lebeau is gone

So basically can all the coaches..I'm fine with Arians, but you don't fire Lebeau he has been the catalyst for this team's success.

Rick5895
01-03-2010, 07:42 PM
Well as we look to be headed to an uncapped year, what are the priorities?

1) Draft best CB available or OL in 1st rd
2) Draft the other position in rnd 2
3) Are Woodley and Holmes entering last year of contracts? If so extensions are in order for sure.
4) Get rid of Gay.

Questions:
1) What is Parker's status and future/or not with Steelers?
2) How about Batch?

Other thoughts?

Interesting but I must respectfully disagree with you on a couple of points ( or all)

1. Draft either a DT (NT) or safety in 1st round. Rationale, our pass D was more a product of confused and poor safety play. Need a replacement for Big Snack

2. Look for ILB help in 2nd round. In the rest of the draft, look for depth along the DL and OL.

3. Get Woodley and Holmes signed up for the long term. I very much agree with that.

4. I am not sure we give up on a young player like Gay yet, but I would give Burnett or Lewis every opportunity to take his spot in training camp.

Hopefully we can keep Parker. I say cut Batch loose. Look at a rookie QB to develop at the 3rd string.

Replace the ST coach and OL coach and maybe the DB coach.

SteelerEmpire
01-03-2010, 07:43 PM
1) Arians is gone
2) Ligashesky is gone
4) Parker is gone
5) Hampton is gone
6) Lebeau is gone

They'll probably give Lebeau another year or 2 to show bad defensively before anything like that....but I think he'll rebound.... expect the only set in stone changes on the D to be in the back field...

xbroughneck
01-03-2010, 07:45 PM
1) Figure out what's happening at middle linebacker. Farrior showed a little age late in the season, and Timmons is NOT an inside linebacker. He's fast to the QB, fast to the ball, BUT HE DOES NOT SHED BLOCKS!! So IMHO we are lacking in the middle.

2) Secondary. Troy will be back next year, but if something happens again I don't want Tyrone Carter as the first safety off the bench. IMHO there has got to be a decent free agent we can bring in.
We also can't afford for William Gay AND Deshea Townsend to be our #2 and #3 corner. We can't. They are both soft in coverage (might be Lebeau scheme).

3) This is actually the most important...extend Woodley and Santonio.

HometownGal
01-03-2010, 07:45 PM
Farrior's age has caught up to him.

I disagree with this. The secondary was clearly the achilles heel of this team. Our LB's were probably the most consistent of all of the groups in that unit. I watched today as Farrior chased Thigpen down late in the game and he sure didn't look old to me.

We need to go back to a 2 back set and utilize a fullback. I'm fine with a 70/30 pass to run offense as we didn't draft and pay Ben big bucks for him to continuously hand the ball off, but I believe a FB is crucial to the success of both aspects of the offensive scheme.

lukas
01-03-2010, 07:48 PM
While I am not happy with the methodology of Steeler's football slowly changing from a smashmouth team to a finesse team, I am not out for Arian's head. He's doing good things here.

Put it this way: this type of offense, blunders aside, is something that wouldn't even be conceivable a few years ago.

We're explosive. We're dynamic. We're dangerous.

Those are not adjectives that could be applied to Steeler's offense previously.

stb_steeler
01-03-2010, 07:48 PM
1) Arians is gone
2) Ligashesky is gone
4) Parker is gone
5) Hampton is gone
6) Lebeau is gone

They nuts if they let Lebeau go. That happens we might as well start all over. I dont think the fans want the team to go into a slump from a rebuild.

stillers4me
01-03-2010, 07:50 PM
I disagree with this. The secondary was clearly the achilles heel of this team. Our LB's were probably the most consistent of all of the groups in that unit. I watched today as Farrior chased Thigpen down late in the game and he sure didn't look old to me.

We need to go back to a 2 back set and utilize a fullback. I'm fine with a 70/30 pass to run offense as we didn't draft and pay Ben big bucks for him to continuously hand the ball off, but I believe a FB is crucial to the success of both aspects of the offensive scheme.

And if Arians is retained, you will never see that fullback in "his offense." Period.

And folks, Dick Lebeau isn't going anywhere until Dick Lebeau is ready. And he's already said he'd be back.

JCPsteelers
01-03-2010, 07:51 PM
While I am not happy with the methodology of Steeler's football slowly changing from a smashmouth team to a finesse team, I am not out for Arian's head. He's doing good things here.

Put it this way: this type of offense, blunders aside, is something that wouldn't even be conceivable a few years ago.

We still don't score a lot of TD's.. Arians offense gets a bunch of yards, but at times we seem to get boggled down in the redzone..

The offense was a minor distraction this year compared to the poor 2nd half defense and special teams coverage all year.

lukas
01-03-2010, 07:53 PM
And if Arians is retained, you will never see that fullback in "his offense." Period.

And people said that Arians would never call a screen. Would never utilize Miller effectively. Would never this, would never that.

Yeah, Arians still makes bonehead calls. But the last several games I've been getting the impression that he's been actively rectifying his mistakes.

SteelerFanInStl
01-03-2010, 07:55 PM

And that's the big problem that I have with him. We need a FB.

stillers4me
01-03-2010, 07:56 PM
And people said that Arians would never call a screen. Would never utilize Miller effectively. Would never this, would never that.

Yeah, Arians still makes bonehead calls. But the last several games I've been getting the impression that he's been actively rectifying his mistakes.

Bruce Arians has said himself that he would never utilize a full back in "his offense". Just going by his own words.

Rick5895
01-03-2010, 07:58 PM

If you are happy with a 70/30 pass run ratio, then a FB is purely a luxury we can't afford to have given the roster limits of the NFL, because of those 30 percent run plays you would likely use a FB on maybe a third of those plays. I agree, a pure FB would be nice and I would prefer 60/40 split and even then a pure FB would still be a luxury. As fans we can't have it both ways, we are either a power running team (with FB) or we are a passing team that uses our threat to pass to set up the run, which IMO uses a 1 back set more effectively. Whatever we do offensively we need to find a decent OL coach. I think we have the talent on the OL and need a coach to get it out of them.

xbroughneck
01-03-2010, 07:59 PM

HG, my main problem with our LB corp is Timmons. He had a monster sack today, yes. And he has the speed to chase down RBs when he has a clear line to them.

BUT, he has problems when he's being blocked by anyone other than a tight end. On quite a few run plays I see Timmons standing up because he's been pushed out of position. IMHO, right now he's not playing at an old Larry Foote level and the Steelers need him to.

And yes, Farrior has lost a step. It's natural at his age. He's still good enough to start on the Steelers but I feel he's lost a step. IMHO obviously.

As far as the Steelers needing to use a fullback more. I agree. Thing is, they have a good TE/FB on the roster. His name is David Johnson. They don't use him enough. Quite a few plays they pull him and have Spaeth in at TE only to block. IMHO Johnson is the better blocker so why even have Spaeth in there. How many passes did the guy catch this year?

Fifty8
01-03-2010, 08:00 PM
Interesting but I must respectfully disagree with you on a couple of points ( or all)

1. Draft either a DT (NT) or safety in 1st round. Rationale, our pass D was more a product of confused and poor safety play. Need a replacement for Big Snack

2. Look for ILB help in 2nd round. In the rest of the draft, look for depth along the DL and OL.

3. Get Woodley and Holmes signed up for the long term. I very much agree with that.

4. I am not sure we give up on a young player like Gay yet, but I would give Burnett or Lewis every opportunity to take his spot in training camp.

Hopefully we can keep Parker. I say cut Batch loose. Look at a rookie QB to develop at the 3rd string.

Replace the ST coach and OL coach and maybe the DB coach.

Is Hampton a FA or retiring OR are you saying he's old? I think he is fine. His mates on either side were hurt or rotated alot and he had to do more with less help.

Yes, Woodley and Holmes are keepers 4 sure.

Corner to me is number one. Ike will be better with Troy back to help, I like Clark too, BUT Deshea and Gay gotta go.

OL is my second most urgent concern.

JCPsteelers
01-03-2010, 08:04 PM
And that's the big problem that I have with him. We need a FB.

Why? We have a Top 5 QB with 3 WR and a quality TE.. The team is more dynamic going one back with 3WR and TE..

Especially with the rules that are so in favor of passing the ball, it would be stupid to go back to a FB type of offense.

The offense needs to get more consistent instead of changing its philosophy.

xbroughneck
01-03-2010, 08:09 PM
Why? We have a Top 5 QB with 3 WR and a quality TE.. The team is more dynamic going one back with 3WR and TE..

Especially with the rules that are so in favor of passing the ball, it would be stupid to go back to a FB type of offense.

The offense needs to get more consistent instead of changing its philosophy.

Agreed.

I think they need to let Spaeth go in the off season...or at least move him to 3rd TE on the depth chart.

Steelers need blockers out there for Mendy. IMHO Johnson is better than Spaeth at blocking.

If you have Johnson and Miller at TE you have two guys that are pretty decent blocking tight ends, and you can use Johnson as the fullback.

YOU CAN'T USE SPAETH AS A FULLBACK. So why does he get playing time?

Rick5895
01-03-2010, 08:09 PM
Is Hampton a FA or retiring OR are you saying he's old? I think he is fine. His mates on either side were hurt or rotated alot and he had to do more with less help.

Yes, Woodley and Holmes are keepers 4 sure.

Corner to me is number one. Ike will be better with Troy back to help, I like Clark too, BUT Deshea and Gay gotta go.

OL is my second most urgent concern.

Hampton is a free agent, and he has stated he does not want a franchise or transition tag. So unless he gives us a home town discount, he may well be gone, but we still need to draft his eventual replacement.

SH-Rock
01-03-2010, 08:11 PM
What is wrong with people. Lebeau is one of the best defensive coordinators today. It's not his fault the defense is does not meet their potential. He did his best but they got lazy.

Fifty8
01-03-2010, 08:18 PM
Hampton is a free agent, and he has stated he does not want a franchise or transition tag. So unless he gives us a home town discount, he may well be gone, but we still need to draft his eventual replacement.

Hmm, I did not know this. Yes, add that to the priority position list then, probably right after corner.

BlackNGold88
01-03-2010, 08:22 PM
HG, my main problem with our LB corp is Timmons. He had a monster sack today, yes. And he has the speed to chase down RBs when he has a clear line to them.

BUT, he has problems when he's being blocked by anyone other than a tight end. On quite a few run plays I see Timmons standing up because he's been pushed out of position. IMHO, right now he's not playing at an old Larry Foote level and the Steelers need him to.

And yes, Farrior has lost a step. It's natural at his age. He's still good enough to start on the Steelers but I feel he's lost a step. IMHO obviously.

As far as the Steelers needing to use a fullback more. I agree. Thing is, they have a good TE/FB on the roster. His name is David Johnson. They don't use him enough. Quite a few plays they pull him and have Spaeth in at TE only to block. IMHO Johnson is the better blocker so why even have Spaeth in there. How many passes did the guy catch this year?
You from the Canton area?

Fifty8
01-03-2010, 08:23 PM
LeBeau is not the problem, this is for sure.

theplatypus
01-03-2010, 08:25 PM
I really don't think that Gay's skill set is the problem. I believe it's more of a problem with our defense backs coach(not developing players).

JEFF4i
01-03-2010, 08:29 PM
I want to like Gay, I do. But he just gets beat on moves too easily, like Platypus said, if a DB coach can work him into better reads, I think he could be a solid player.

Still need to draft an extra though.

Fifty8
01-03-2010, 08:32 PM

True that.

I really think our weakest position is corner, when McFadden left via FA it left a huge hole that was exploited all year. If we had an adequate corner, we win a lot of those games we lost late this year - everyone attacked gay, and townsend. Also no troy or a smith hurt us big time.

Other than upgrading O-Line i'm fine with the Offense. Scheme is good, I might like a little more balance, but I think we'll see that as we get better run blockers.

theplatypus
01-03-2010, 08:43 PM
My bet for off season coaching moves is that we'll see new faces at O-line coach,DB's coach, and special teams coach. While I find a few of Arians' calls puzzling, I don't see him as the sole problem.

Fifty8
01-03-2010, 08:49 PM
My bet for offseason coaching moves is that we'll see new faces at O-line coach,DB's coach, and special teams coach.

Good bet - O line may be more talent than coaching though - we need run blockers - Other than Starks & Kemoeatu we are very avg upfront.

Secondary & Special Teams coaching changes are locks.

Psyychoward86
01-03-2010, 09:42 PM
1) Arians is gone
2) Ligashesky is gone
4) Parker is gone
5) Hampton is gone
6) Lebeau is gone

:coffee: