PDA

View Full Version : 09' Season Is a Rap ...

SteelerEmpire
01-03-2010, 06:35 PM
Basically given a walk-in to the playoffs with the 3td easiest schedule in the league... had the most premier roster in the entire NFL ... and their fans filled the stadiums each game ... but STILL did not even make the playoffs....???

I guess you can rationalize it as "we lost most of our games by 3 pts or less"....(even though they were to teams of the caliber of the Browns, Chiefs and Raiders... I think if that list were the Colts, Saints and Vikes... it might be a little more excusable) and that this will be a "call to arms" in 9 months (next season).

This was one SEVERE SB hangover... Kind of makes me scared to see the team win another SB.... IF the following year we stand to go through another sad ending adventure senario like the 2009 season.....

And then the Ravens and Bengals stick it to us with a playoff apperance... I guess from us beatin em down so much last year... Oh well, our 2010 season "just " started

Bluedust
01-03-2010, 06:42 PM
It's sad, we had one of the best offensive seasons ever in Steelers history, but blame goes to all 3 phases.

Stupid drops and penalties by the offense, stupid drops and penalties by the defense, the returns..

We need better attention to detail next year.

Edman
01-03-2010, 06:49 PM
Greatest offensive output of any Steeler team in history, but at what cost?

2-4 vs. the AFC North.
Swept by the Bengals.
First Loss to Cleveland since 2003.
30th in Red Zone Efficiency.
Basically hand Bruce Gradkowski an AFC OPOW award.
Five game losing streak.
Keystone Cop Secondary.
Dropped Passes.
Special Teams gaffes.
The "Return" streak.
Turned Louis Murphy into Jerry Rice.
Dominated by 32nd ranked Browns Defense on National TV.
Star player made of glass.

No doubt, this season was a bigger bust than 2006. I don't know what is going on for this to keep happening to Steeler teams. But if this is what winning a SB leads to, I don't know if it's even worth it in the end.

What I'm worried about the most is if this time, the fall is permanant and we get the 1980's/Late 90's again.

pepsyman1
01-03-2010, 06:53 PM
Our defense gave away crucial plays in the 4th quarter of almost all of those losses.

The offense didn't put some teams away when they had the chance to do so and frequently came up lame in the redzone. (with all that offense we still scored more points during the 2005 season)

Special team made it a habit of giving up huge returns and field position in far too many games.

We need work in all phases.

d2609j
01-03-2010, 07:45 PM
You can go through all our losses (except the browns loss) and say if this one play was different, we would have won the game. Bear- reed makes a FG, Bengals, Sweed catches the TD pass, Bengals2, kick returned for touchdown, chiefs, BA runs forward instead of pitching to MM for a sweep, Ravens, ray rice pass play on 4th down. Anyone of those plays is different, we are at least the 5th seed. They were all winnable games, but we didn't get it done.

The_WARDen
01-03-2010, 08:00 PM

2-4 vs. the AFC North.
Swept by the Bengals.
Five game losing streak.
Keystone Cop Secondary.
Dropped Passes.
Special Teams gaffes.
The "Return" streak.

No doubt, this season was a bigger bust than 2006. I don't know what is going on for this to keep happening to Steeler teams. But if this is what winning a SB leads to, I don't know if it's even worth it in the end.

What I'm worried about the most is if this time, the fall is permanant and we get the 1980's/Late 90's again.

Are you kidding me? Are you FRIGGIN kidding me??? I'll take a crappy year every 3 years for the rest of my life if it's preceded by a Super Bowl win! Is it worth it?? Hell friggin yes!! Go take your medication.

:banging::banging::banging::popcorn:

BlastFurnace
01-03-2010, 08:01 PM
You can go through all our losses (except the browns loss) and say if this one play was different, we would have won the game. Bear- reed makes a FG, Bengals, Sweed catches the TD pass, Bengals2, kick returned for touchdown, chiefs, BA runs forward instead of pitching to MM for a sweep, Ravens, ray rice pass play on 4th down. Anyone of those plays is different, we are at least the 5th seed. They were all winnable games, but we didn't get it done.

You can go through many, if not all, of our wins and do the "one play" thing as well.

Bottom line, the Steelers weren't good enough where it mattered...on the scoreboard.

BlastFurnace
01-03-2010, 08:03 PM
Are you kidding me? Are you FRIGGIN kidding me??? I'll take a crappy year every 3 years for the rest of my life if it's preceded by a Super Bowl win! Is it worth it?? Hell friggin yes!! Go take your medication.

We won the SB's when our core was younger. The team is getting older now. The upcoming drafts and FA periods (re-signing Holmes, Woodley) are absolutely huge. If we don't do well in the upcoming drafts, the team will have problems.

Bluedust
01-03-2010, 08:05 PM
It's only a game. lol

X-Terminator
01-03-2010, 08:07 PM
We won the SB's when our core was younger. The team is getting older now. The upcoming drafts and FA periods (re-signing Holmes, Woodley) are absolutely huge. If we don't do well in the upcoming drafts, the team will have problems.

The team is getting older on defense, yes. They desperately need an infusion of quality young talent. The offense, however, still has a young core (minus Hines, of course) and should be solid for several years to come, assuming of course they re-sign Holmes, which I think they will do.

fansince'76
01-03-2010, 08:08 PM

Consider the source. Another kid that doesn't know what a 26-year SB drought feels like.

BlastFurnace
01-03-2010, 08:13 PM
The team is getting older on defense, yes. They desperately need an infusion of quality young talent. The offense, however, still has a young core (minus Hines, of course) and should be solid for several years to come, assuming of course they re-sign Holmes, which I think they will do.

I agree..Holmes is a must.

I can't imagine this team without Hines though....or maybe I don't want to imagine the team without Hines.

Rdp616
01-03-2010, 08:18 PM

I can't imagine this team without Hines though....or maybe I don't want to imagine the team without Hines.

I think Hines will play until he get's his 1000 receptions, then he'll hang it up. In a Steelers uniform.

Bluedust
01-03-2010, 08:21 PM

I never imagined this team without the Bus or Peezy.

That said we have to keep Holmes, and with Wallace and Mendenhall I think we'll be okay.

JEFF4i
01-03-2010, 08:23 PM
2010 for sure, :)

I was born in the middle of the Steelers drought, but still appreciate that we went 9-7. Am I disappointed? Of course. But our offense is still pretty young and strong, few good draft picks, and bam, we're first team to 19-0. :)

Psyychoward86
01-03-2010, 08:27 PM

2-4 vs. the AFC North.
Swept by the Bengals.
Five game losing streak.
Keystone Cop Secondary.
Dropped Passes.
Special Teams gaffes.
The "Return" streak.

this gentleman sums it up. But dont hang your heads, chins up, and have trust in the Front Office, coaches, and players to take us roaring back with a vengeance next season. EXPECT THAT my friends :tt03:

toughsticks87
01-03-2010, 08:39 PM
We missed the playoffs by one game. Truly a frustrating season.

IMHO we need a new corner, and a new safety. After that, we need to start drafting to fill in for the older defensive people. Our offense doesn't need work, just Bruce's play calling. We are such a better team than our record. Special teams can be fixed with a new coach.

Here's to rooting against the Bengals, Ravens and Pats.

steeltheone
01-03-2010, 08:41 PM
We will not resign Holmes. He will cash in big somewhere else.

Preacher
01-03-2010, 09:54 PM
We will not resign Holmes. He will cash in big somewhere else.

:chuckle: Sigh.

Prognosticators unite, but I bet you knew I would say that too!

Quasar
01-03-2010, 10:28 PM
Is a 9-7 record worth it if every team in the league is gunning for the defending Super Bowl champs? You betcha! We went 9-7 in 1980, so are some of you saying our Super Bowl win over the Rams wasn't worth it?

SteelersMomma
01-03-2010, 10:36 PM
The way I see it is yes it sucks we didn't make it into the playoffs this year, Especially since we're the SB Champs. On the other side I think not making it into the playoffs will give the coaches time to figure out what they need to do next for the team. There has to be changes regardless of the circumstances. Lets just hope that this upcoming season they will play 10x better than they did this season. If they don't and play the next 10 years this way I will always support my boys :tt02:

Dino 6 Rings
01-03-2010, 10:48 PM
What's worse folks?

Getting to the Playoffs and losing? Or missing the playoffs because of a single loss during the season and being eliminated on the final day of the regular season?

Just curious what the peeps think?

I know nothing is worse than Losing a Super Bowl...Nothing hurts more than that. Not an AFC Title game Loss, not a playoff loss, the most painful Loss in the world (of football fandom) is a SB Loss...

So how does missing the playoffs compare to losing to the Jags 2 years ago in the playoffs or losing to the Pats in the AFC title game Ben's rookie year?

mikegrimey
01-04-2010, 12:18 AM
It definitely was a disappointing year. Any year you don't even qualify for the tournament is. It's great to see your team play as much as they can.

Out of all the losses the one that stings the worse is to the same team from the 2006 season (which this one will inevitably get compared to) that home game against the Raiders. They've definitely stuck it to us when they've been given a chance the last two times.

I was glad to see the guys show some heart after the browns game, although it was too little too late. Hopefully they keep that sour taste in their mouths the whole offseason.

The coaching staff and FO have a lot to clean up and Tomlin has a lot of problems to address, which i'm pretty sure they will. We still have the core to be an elite NFL team. Oh well, wait until next season I guess.

MattsMe
01-04-2010, 12:25 AM
I clicked on this thread expecting to see the 2009 season summed up in a rap song.:chuckle:

Should have known better.

That's a wrap.

micahn31
01-04-2010, 12:27 AM
I clicked on this thread expecting to see the 2009 season summed up in a rap song.:chuckle:

Should have known better.

That's a wrap.

:chuckle: that wouldve made my day

SteelersinCA
01-04-2010, 12:45 AM
What's worse folks?

Getting to the Playoffs and losing? Or missing the playoffs because of a single loss during the season and being eliminated on the final day of the regular season?

Just curious what the peeps think?

I know nothing is worse than Losing a Super Bowl...Nothing hurts more than that. Not an AFC Title game Loss, not a playoff loss, the most painful Loss in the world (of football fandom) is a SB Loss...

So how does missing the playoffs compare to losing to the Jags 2 years ago in the playoffs or losing to the Pats in the AFC title game Ben's rookie year?

Well missing the playoffs pisses me off, at least we could have said we were dancing. I suppose it would be different if there weren't oodles of bandwagon Charger fans all over the place. I just like to remind them that they threw themselves off a bridge in week 5, they'll d it again when the Chargers lose, and then they'll do it thrice when the Chargers move to LA :chuckle:

markymarc
01-04-2010, 01:38 PM
IMO the poor play this season was even worse compared to 2006. Considering our schedule and keeping 20 of 22 starters made a lot of fans believe we could very easily repeat this season as champs.

Now the off season begins. I am very interested in how Mike Tomlin faces this challenge and what he does in the off season to get this team back playing at a high level every single week.