PDA

View Full Version : Clark and Carter

Fifty8
01-03-2010, 09:37 PM
Both are FA, do we let them go elsewhere?

I think Clark and Polamalu are a good team and see the real weakness at CB with Gay and Townsend. Love to see 1st pick in draft be a CB, but I'm seeing S in a lot of mock drafts.

Clark, I think we need to keep. Carter is not essential but not terrible.

Psyychoward86
01-03-2010, 09:41 PM
we lack depth at safety. Unless Mundy really develops, we definitely need at least Clark back

markymarc
01-04-2010, 02:17 PM
To be truthful I really believed that Ryan Clark and Tyrone Carter got exposed in what they both are and that is very average FS and SS. Don't get me wrong because I think the entire secondary was exposed, but in order to get better do you keep both safeties that were were burnt quite a bit this season?

At worse I would sign Ryan Clark to a cheap deal and absolutely under no circumstances sign Carter. Let Tyrone Carter walk and then Ryan Mundy becomes your top backup for both FS and SS. I still think safety should be one of the higher priorities in the draft and possibly FA depending on what happens with Clark.

madtowndrunkard
01-04-2010, 02:22 PM
I think you have to sign Clark to a one year deal if possible.

I think you have to use your first two draft picks on a corner and an O-lineman.

It's looking like there will be a strike our lock out for 2011....Teams are going to be very reluctant to hand just any player a long term deal.....so I think plenty of players will only be given one year contracts. This is going to be a very interesting off season.

Men of Steel
01-04-2010, 02:39 PM
i like clark. he is a big hitter and makes plays when he has to. but this is only true when Troy P is in the lineup.
clark is the perfect compliment for troy. but with carter in there by his side... it aint pretty.

we should keep clark.
CAN carter.

and draft for secondary help.

AllD
01-04-2010, 04:42 PM
Carter will get $50 worth of Jolly Time Popcorn on his way out of Pittsburgh.

BlastFurnace
01-04-2010, 05:08 PM
Carter needs to retire. Of all the players on the Steelers roster, he's the one that I don't want back next year.

Fifty8
01-04-2010, 05:12 PM
Hmm, sounds like you guys say times up for tyrone.

Hopefully gay and deshea follow him on the way!

SteelGhost
01-04-2010, 05:18 PM
Carter, Gay and Townsend have to be replaced IMHO.

Rick5895
01-04-2010, 06:11 PM
If they can keep Clark then keep him (1 maybe 2 years), I think Carters usefulness is done with. I am willing to reserve judgement on Gay. Typically first year starters in this D struggle somewhat, take away Troy and that really hurts. As for the draft, I see most people want a CB. I don't think it will happen in the 1st round. We drafted 2 last season, I would imagine the feeling among the coaches and F.O will be to see if one of them can unseat Gay as the starter and the other become the nickel. We need safety help, and I believe that Mays of USC will be there for us. Of course if we don't resign Big Snack then I am sure we will go NT (Cody of 'Bama) in the 1st round.

tony hipchest
01-04-2010, 08:17 PM
people hated on carter almost exactly like this back since 2005. he is not a long term answer as a starter, but does well in sub packages and filling in for a game or 2 (as seen vs denver).

one HUGE thing people forget about ryan clark...

he does a weekly spot on sirius radio and is very candid with his answers. he was asked mid-season what the biggest difference was in playing back there with carter instead of troy.

he said what most people dont realize is that there is an unspoken level of communication between him and troy. they both always knew where the other would be at all times. they had the freedom and liberty to switch positions at any given time. many times in a game, troy would line up at free safety and clark would line up at strong safety, and each would know the others responsibilities. with carter in there, they have to play lebeaus defense "straight-up".

this type of dynamic is invaluable to a defensive coordinator and absolutely gives offenses fits. it is something the opposition's offense really cant game plan for.

it is VERY RARE that a d-coord would give a player such liberties in their defense. probably even more rare than letting a quarterback call their own plays (like manning or brady). why people continue to diminish this effect, and act like carter and clark have suddenly become sucky players baffles me.

sure their play, at times have sucked, but there is usually a much cause and effect to everything.

micahn31
01-04-2010, 09:20 PM
If they can keep Clark then keep him (1 maybe 2 years), I think Carters usefulness is done with. I am willing to reserve judgement on Gay. Typically first year starters in this D struggle somewhat, take away Troy and that really hurts. As for the draft, I see most people want a CB. I don't think it will happen in the 1st round. We drafted 2 last season, I would imagine the feeling among the coaches and F.O will be to see if one of them can unseat Gay as the starter and the other become the nickel. We need safety help, and I believe that Mays of USC will be there for us. Of course if we don't resign Big Snack then I am sure we will go NT (Cody of 'Bama) in the 1st round.

if hampton goes a NT is first priority, i think cody would be a perfect replacement for hampton if he is gone. gay would be good as a nickel he showed some flashes at times but i just dont think he has what it takes to be a starter. hopefully we could get a CB through free agency like Ellis Hobbs or Richard Marshall. And take a ILB in like the 3rd round or something to sit behind farrior for a year or two and learn the system.

supa_fly_steeler
01-04-2010, 11:22 PM
clark is a system player, it was a bad year for everyone next year he will deliver devastating hits again for our enjoyment.

Rotorhead
01-05-2010, 07:13 AM
I honestly think they will keep Townsend, he is smart and can fill in at safety and cb. Yeah he is slow, but in the 2 games he started he got 1 int (and was burned once, more on that later) which is leaps better that Gay did. The rest of the time he played solid enough to keep as a back-up and to teach newcomers. Carter needs to leave, he consistently is out of position (see the play Townsend got burned expecting safety help I am pretty sure he was supposed to get). The reason I think he was supposed to get safety help is because he is a smart player, if he wasnt going to get it (by design) he wouldnt have waited for the receiver to get past him, he was playing the underneath role for a short cut route IMHO. Anyway, I think we give Gay another year, but on a short leash, draft a S early and a CB later, cut Carter and move Mundy/Townsend to the backup role.

steelballs
01-05-2010, 08:54 AM
Clark should stay...Carter should go.

Texasteel
01-05-2010, 09:43 AM
Carter needs to retire. Of all the players on the Steelers roster, he's the one that I don't want back next year.

I don't know if Carter is done or not, we'll see next year. I do think he is valuable as a backup at FS, where I thought he had some pretty good games. He did seem to have problems at SS, and I agree we need to keep him away from that position.

BritishSteel
01-05-2010, 09:53 AM
I think Clark will do a deal - he doesn't want to leave, I doubt Troy wants him to leave, so I think there might be a deal to be done with Ryan, provided he doesn't get greedy. I certainly don't want him to leave, anyone who hit like a 16-wheeler has a place on this team.

CargoJon
01-05-2010, 12:08 PM
Deshea and Carter need to hang it up. I'd like to see Clark back, he and Troy do well together. Franchise Casey Hampton. Use the transition tag on Clark if you have to......

Draft O-Line, O-Line, and perhaps some more O-Line

Oh yeah, William Gay needs traded away to Bengals. We'll give them him and and 4th round pick if they just take him off our team and put him on theirs and give him as much playing time as he had here.

steel9guy
01-06-2010, 12:38 AM
We need Clark back. Actually I think Carter does good in some ways and bad in others but I'd hang on to him another year since he knows the system. Gay needs to go though.

Galax Steeler
01-06-2010, 05:23 AM
I don't know if Carter is done or not, we'll see next year. I do think he is valuable as a backup at FS, where I thought he had some pretty good games. He did seem to have problems at SS, and I agree we need to keep him away from that position.

I was thinking the same thing we can probably sign Carter for little of nothing. He may not want to go anywhere else and sign a cheap contract.