PDA

View Full Version : This trade would work

steeltheone
01-03-2010, 08:58 PM
It might not be popular, But i would dangle Harrison for a first or a second and third draft pick. I would move Timmons outside and lose nothing in production and gain 6 years plus in youth. The Patriots did it with Richard Seymour this year. We are in big trouble with age and money on defense. This would help both.

JCPsteelers
01-03-2010, 09:00 PM
WE signed James to a long term contract in the offseason, he goes out and makes the pro bowl this year and we are going to just trade him in the offseason 5 months later? Doesn't make a lot sense to me.

BlackNGold88
01-03-2010, 09:01 PM
No thanks and I doubt anyone would bite anyways. Not enough Al Davis type guys out there.

fansince'76
01-03-2010, 09:02 PM
WE signed James to a long term contract in the offseason, he goes out and makes the pro bowl this year and we are going to just trade him in the offseason 5 months later? Doesn't make a lot sense to me.

For draft picks, no less.

steeltheone
01-03-2010, 09:03 PM
When you have a defense full of 31 plus year olds you gotta make moves.

JCPsteelers
01-03-2010, 09:06 PM
When you have a defense full of 31 plus year olds you gotta make moves.

I wasn't aware that Harrison was the problem..

Making moves just to make moves isn't a very sound strategy.

How about Colbert and company do a better job drafting in the later rounds and gather talent that way instead of giving away one of our top players away.

steeltheone
01-03-2010, 09:11 PM
Harrison is not the problem. Farrior, Hampton, Smith, Keisel and Clark are 30 plus. Harrison is 31. He is strong and productive. 31 is not young. If you can fill two holes with a guy with 2 good years left. it's a no brainer

JCPsteelers
01-03-2010, 09:13 PM
Harrison is not the problem. Farrior, Hampton, Smith, Keisel and Clark are 30 plus. Harrison is 31. He is strong and productive. 31 is not young. If you can fill two holes with a guy with 2 good years left. it's a no brainer

Keisel could possibly be replaced by Ziggy by next season.

Clark isn't a shoo-in to be back next year..

Having 3 or 4 players over 31 on the defense isn't that terrible especially if they are productive.

7willBheaven
01-03-2010, 09:14 PM
Wow I cant believe i'm reading such a ridiculous post. Theres a difference, yes he might be over 30...just like Keisel....but BOTH of these guys were ST players for a number a years before starting. Keisel started starting like 1-2 years before Harrison i think. So yes they are over 30, but they dont have like 8 yrs of starting like Farrior, Hampton or even Smith do. They are 2 of our better/more consistent players on the D.

supa_fly_steeler
01-03-2010, 09:14 PM
we wouldn't get a first round pick for him

steeltheone
01-03-2010, 09:16 PM
Keisel could possibly be replaced by Ziggy by next season.

Clark isn't a shoo-in to be back next year..

Having 3 or 4 players over 31 on the defense isn't that terrible especially if they are productive.

The steelers thought that way too. We were SB Champs. Now we are a 9 and 7 non playoff team. You don't lose with old guys. you go younger.

MACH1
01-03-2010, 09:18 PM
SWEEEEEED.

steeltheone
01-03-2010, 09:19 PM
we wouldn't get a first round pick for him

Its not a crazy thought. New England just did it this year. Richard Seymour is an aging stud player.

7willBheaven
01-03-2010, 09:20 PM
Why do we need to trade anyone to begin with? Thats not going to fix anything...especially trading one of our better players. We're just a couple changes away from being even better...with our young guys (Ziggy..... Harris...Lewis...maybe even Burnett)...and i'm sure we'll either draft and/or sign DB, LB and then DL. Its not as bad as you make it sound that we have to ship our good players out. Glad you dont run the Steelers.

steeltheone
01-03-2010, 09:24 PM
You have to look ahead and be active. You just don't get better and more productive after 32. It's downhill. Ziggy should be playing and starting next year.

SteelCityMom
01-03-2010, 09:30 PM
I wasn't aware that Harrison was the problem..

Making moves just to make moves isn't a very sound strategy.

How about Colbert and company do a better job drafting in the later rounds and gather talent that way instead of giving away one of our top players away.

But, but....it works for the Pirates!

:doh:

JCPsteelers
01-03-2010, 09:30 PM
You have to look ahead and be active. You just don't get better and more productive after 32. It's downhill. Ziggy should be playing and starting next year.

If the Steelers felt that way, then they would have let Harrison's contract play out this year before signing him to that huge deal.

Harrison is still an elite player. I don't see how trading him improves our team in the future.

JCPsteelers
01-03-2010, 09:33 PM
But, but....it works for the Pirates!

:doh:

Yeah, it fills the Nuttings pockets with nice profits..

Maybe we can hold firework night after every Steelers game just to ensure we will continue our sellout streak when we are 3-13 with the Pirates philosophy. :sofunny:

Dylan
01-03-2010, 09:35 PM
damn...are you dave littlefield? you sound like him and the rest of the old pirates management....we play to win now not for the future...if thats the case polomalu is what? 27 heck in three years lets trade him

steeltheone
01-03-2010, 09:36 PM
Once again, His future is maybe, at best 3 more years. He is an animal no doubt. I move Timmons outside. And use the picks for a middle Linebacker and Lineman.

JCPsteelers
01-03-2010, 09:38 PM
Once again, His future is maybe, at best 3 more years. He is an animal no doubt. I move Timmons outside. And use the picks for a middle Linebacker and Lineman.

3 years is a lot of good years to give up on..

We need to get some talent in here I agree, but I don't think trading away talent to get potential talent is the way to go..

Steelers need to do a better job in the later rounds of the draft. Too many misses the past 5 years and its hurt our depth.

steeltheone
01-03-2010, 09:41 PM
damn...are you dave littlefield? you sound like him and the rest of the old pirates management....we play to win now not for the future...if thats the case polomalu is what? 27 heck in three years lets trade him

But we are not winning now. Well not enough. Polomalu is 27 and in 4 or 5 more years that might be an issue, But not now. ( hope he retires a Steeler) Outside linebacker is an easier fill in the Steelers system than probably any other position.

ljk2442
01-03-2010, 09:42 PM
Harrison is a young and 31... his production of sacks decreased because teams forced him to drop in coverage.. hence woodley's sack totals increased...

Timmons should be playing the OUTSIDE position tho... i think that is where he is at his best... ILB and DB should be out top 3 picks HANDS DOWN

tyler289
01-03-2010, 09:43 PM
There's no need to trade anyone. We only have a few needs on the team.

We don't need starters at any position other than corner, and we can draft that. We can also draft OL early but it's clear to me that we can get by with this OL and it's easier to sign solid linemen.

We need depth at corner, safety, the defensive line, and (maybe) linebacker. This team just had a DOWN season and we went 9-7. We just need a few tweaks and new additions and we're fine.

Dylan
01-03-2010, 09:43 PM
But we are not winning now. Well not enough. Polomalu is 27 and in 4 or 5 more years that might be an issue, But not now. ( hope he retires a Steeler) Outside linebacker is an easier fill in the Steelers system than probably any other position.

we werent winning in 2006, but we kept the team in tact and look what happened last year...we havent won this season because of arians predictability in play calling and the losses of a smith and polomalu was the real reason our defense was crappy this year

steeltheone
01-03-2010, 09:44 PM
3 years is a lot of good years to give up on..

We need to get some talent in here I agree, but I don't think trading away talent to get potential talent is the way to go..

Steelers need to do a better job in the later rounds of the draft. Too many misses the past 5 years and its hurt our depth.

I agree 100% Ryan Mcbean comes to mind...

SteelCityMom
01-03-2010, 09:46 PM
Yeah, it fills the Nuttings pockets with nice profits..

Maybe we can hold firework night after every Steelers game just to ensure we will continue our sellout streak when we are 3-13 with the Pirates philosophy. :sofunny:

Yes! And Maybe the Pirates could move the Great Pierogi Race to Heinz as well lol.

SteelCityMom
01-03-2010, 09:47 PM
Seriously though, this is just insane to start thinking about trading away great talent in it's prime for draft picks (and beer money). As has already been mentioned, the Steelers have found some of their best talent by drafting late. It's what great franchises do (see Detroit Redwings...NOT the Pittsburgh Pirates lol).

steeltheone
01-03-2010, 09:47 PM
we werent winning in 2006, but we kept the team in tact and look what happened last year...we havent won this season because of arians predictability in play calling and the losses of a smith and polomalu was the real reason our defense was crappy this year

2006 was mainly because our franchise bounced his head off the blacktop. We have not lost anything without Smith. Our run d is as good or better than before he got hurt.

JCPsteelers
01-03-2010, 09:49 PM
Yes! And Maybe the Pirates could move the Great Pierogi Race to Heinz as well lol.

:rofl::getdown:

steeltheone
01-03-2010, 09:49 PM
Seriously though, this is just insane to start thinking about trading away great talent in it's prime for draft picks (and beer money). As has already been mentioned, the Steelers have found some of their best talent by drafting late. It's what great franchises do (see Detroit Redwings...NOT the Pittsburgh Pirates lol).

We got rid of porter at that age? now 2 years later he is all but washed up.

ljk2442
01-03-2010, 09:53 PM
JUST PLEASE RELEASE TYRONE CARTER, he makes to many tackles, never gets beat deep, and is a stud... haha... he has been an awful back up for years... Anthony Smith was better than this cat... Mundy is garbage too... BUT NO TRADES NEEDED, im satisfied we finished strong, we beat 3 good teams to close the season!

JCPsteelers
01-03-2010, 09:54 PM
2006 was mainly because our franchise bounced his head off the blacktop. We have not lost anything without Smith. Our run d is as good or better than before he got hurt.

Defense didn't play all that well that year either.

We had an inconsistent year. We need to make some changes and improve in some spots but I don't see why we need to make drastic changes to the roster or move core players through trades.

JCPsteelers
01-03-2010, 09:55 PM

Harrison is a better player than Porter was.

SteelCityMom
01-03-2010, 09:58 PM

Porter was a starter for 6 or 7 years when we got rid of him. Harrison has been a starter for 3, and is much better than Porter. We also got Porter in the 3rd round (73rd overall..surprise, surprise). He was also not traded for draft picks, he was released for cap reasons.

Dylan
01-03-2010, 10:05 PM

ok for one are you saying that aaron smith would not have made a difference at all...yea we were still good against the run but he did more than that...and when we let porter go he was still good...i believe it was last year where he actually had more sacks than harrison even though harrisoin won mvp....come on man you have to do your research before posting this non sense

steeltheone
01-03-2010, 10:11 PM
Porter was a starter for 6 or 7 years when we got rid of him. Harrison has been a starter for 3, and is much better than Porter. We also got Porter in the 3rd round (73rd overall..surprise, surprise). He was also not traded for draft picks, he was released for cap reasons.

I understand about Porter and why he was left go. It was a good move. I was talking about age. Harrison does have alot less wear. Still not going to be force at 35. we need to fill a MLB and NT. Not going to be easy.

SteelCurtain0815
01-03-2010, 10:12 PM
We would never get a first round pick for Harrison. You're dreaming. And I'm tired of people thinking Timmons is better suited as an OLB in our 3-4. Do you not remember him getting man handled when Harrison went down last year? He's too undersized and isn't physical enough. He is doing very well at ILB in my opinion, and that's where he belongs.

steeltheone
01-03-2010, 10:22 PM
[QUOTE=Dylan;749399]ok for one are you saying that aaron smith would not have made a difference at all...yea we were still good against the run but he did more than that...and when we let porter go he was still good...i believe it was last year where he actually had more sacks than harrison even though harrisoin won mvp....come on man you have to do your research before posting this non sense[/QUOTE

Losing Smith made very little difference. And if you would listen. I said Porter was good, but now he is all but washed up. He will not be in Miami next year. We got rid of him just in time. If we moved Timmons outside we would be set for the next 6 to 7 years. Sure Harrison is good and he would have a few good years elsewhere. Then he is 33 34 and done.We would have 1 or 2 high picks for our needs.

steeltheone
01-03-2010, 10:24 PM
We would never get a first round pick for Harrison. You're dreaming. And I'm tired of people thinking Timmons is better suited as an OLB in our 3-4. Do you not remember him getting man handled when Harrison went down last year? He's too undersized and isn't physical enough. He is doing very well at ILB in my opinion, and that's where he belongs.

Thats just it playing inside you have to deal with the big guys. Outside is more moves and freelancing.

SteelCurtain0815
01-03-2010, 10:25 PM
Timmons is not suited as an OLB. Teams would run it to his side every time, because there tackles would eat him up. Keep Harrison, and build with the picks we are given.

SteelCurtain0815
01-03-2010, 10:28 PM
Playing inside deals with the FBs, Gs, and C who are typically smaller than Ts. Timmons has more of an oppurtunity to fly to the ball and use his speed in the middle, because Hampton usually requires a double team. If we were to switch to a 4-3, I would be all for moving Timmons to OLB.

Dodt
01-03-2010, 10:33 PM
i will say this as long as i live steelers are built within not brought in.

SteelCurtain0815
01-03-2010, 10:36 PM
i will say this as long as i live steelers are built within not brought in.

Agreed. IMO, that's the way to do it. After all, doing it the Steelers way has earned us 6 rings.

Dylan
01-03-2010, 10:53 PM
[QUOTE=Dylan;749399]ok for one are you saying that aaron smith would not have made a difference at all...yea we were still good against the run but he did more than that...and when we let porter go he was still good...i believe it was last year where he actually had more sacks than harrison even though harrisoin won mvp....come on man you have to do your research before posting this non sense[/QUOTE

Losing Smith made very little difference. And if you would listen. I said Porter was good, but now he is all but washed up. He will not be in Miami next year. We got rid of him just in time. If we moved Timmons outside we would be set for the next 6 to 7 years. Sure Harrison is good and he would have a few good years elsewhere. Then he is 33 34 and done.We would have 1 or 2 high picks for our needs.

well chief i would like to point out that porter had 8 sacks, that is not a washed up player in my book especially with a defense like miamis( by that i mean porter gets double teamed all the time)...and i have to hear your reasoning on smith being hurt not making a difference....our defense would have been so much better with smith rather than kirshke and eason...and dont say hood because he didnt turn it on until late last week

X-Terminator
01-03-2010, 11:20 PM
There are 51 million reasons why this will never happen, so really, it's no use even discussing it. The Steelers are not going to trade Harrison this soon after signing him to that huge contract.

Vincent
01-04-2010, 06:21 AM
I'd like to see them trade Ariens for the Director of Parking Lot Management in Cleveland.