PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Defence Really that bad? ranked 4th in league

supa_fly_steeler
01-03-2010, 10:35 PM
Hard to believe but we are now ranked #4 in league in total yards allowed, our are expectations too high? i don't call a good defensive football team unless they get under 250 yards per average per season.

what are your thoughts on the 4th ranked defence, is this league going to super high scoring high offensive games?

X-Terminator
01-03-2010, 10:42 PM
They were tied for 12th in the league in total points allowed; 2nd to last in the NFL in points allowed in the 4th quarter. That is a HUGE reason why we are 9-7 and not playing any more football until August.

fansince'76
01-03-2010, 10:43 PM
I believe the Pack was #1 against the pass when Ben went for 500+ against them. So much for rankings.

Dino 6 Rings
01-03-2010, 10:44 PM
You have to Finish a game and put the other team out with a big turnover late, a drive killing stop or a crushing hit that makes the other team just pack it up.

we didn't get those things in 7 of our games this year. 9-7 it is.

iloveben7
01-03-2010, 10:45 PM
big whoop.

If they don't show up at times we need them the most (last 15 seconds of 4th quarter) then they aren't a great defense

supa_fly_steeler
01-03-2010, 10:46 PM
it pains me to see the bengals ranked above us in every defensive statistical and that they are playing on nbc next week not us :@

SteelCurtain0815
01-03-2010, 10:48 PM
I think our defense was tired when the fourth quarter came around, partly due to many 3 and outs by our offense during a 5 or 6 game span when we lost three games to you know who.

fansince'76
01-03-2010, 10:51 PM
I think our defense was tired when the fourth quarter came around, partly due to many 3 and outs by our offense during a 5 or 6 game span when we lost three games to you know who.

Doubtful, seeing as our offense ranked 4th in TOP. And since they had such a "cupcake" training camp, don't see how that could have been it either. :noidea:

MACH1
01-03-2010, 10:51 PM

And Ben's to fat to run.

mesaSteeler
01-03-2010, 10:54 PM
There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.'" - Mark Twain

After a season like this being statistically ranked fourth doesn't offer much a lot of comfort.

SteelerEmpire
01-03-2010, 10:58 PM
You also have to remember that we had the 3td easiest schedule in the league.... if the D is #4 the totality of the situation must be taken into consideration.
The run defense is possibly so good because our secondary was so horrible that teams diden't even bother run on us when passing on us is "where the monies at ". Therefore, run defense yards "look " very good.
Truthfully, its hard to imagine that this 09 defense is in the top 5... especially with no picks by the CB's until the last 2 games of the year. :noidea:

SteelCurtain0815
01-03-2010, 11:00 PM
Doubtful, seeing as our offense ranked 4th in TOP. And since they had such a "cupcake" training camp, don't see how that could have been it either. :noidea:

It was more of a consistency issue. Some weeks our offense would light it up with a balanced attack, then the next week we would give up on the run and rely on the pass. Teams would pin their ears back and come after Ben, causing a lot of three and outs. Look at the rushing stats against OAK, KC, and CLE.

Dino 6 Rings
01-03-2010, 11:00 PM
puke...garbage puke...

fansince'76
01-03-2010, 11:02 PM
It was more of a consistency issue. Some weeks our offense would light it up with a balanced attack, then the next week we would give up on the run and rely on the pass. Teams would pin their ears back and come after Ben, causing a lot of three and outs. Look at the rushing stats against OAK, KC, and CLE.

And regardless of what our offense did, the D could be consistently counted upon to give up a slew of points in the 4th quarter. See the Chargers game, despite gaining almost 180 yards on the ground, for one example.

SteelCurtain0815
01-03-2010, 11:08 PM
And regardless of what our offense did, the D could be consistently counted upon to give up a slew of points in the 4th quarter. See the Chargers game as one example, despite putting up almost 180 yards on the ground.

Can't really make any excuses for that. For example, the Chargers game where we had 28-10 lead in the fourth and almost blew it. That rests on the defense, but the OAK, KC, and CLE game was just as much the offenses fault. Injuries is my excuse. (#43)

X-Terminator
01-03-2010, 11:12 PM

They had the ball for 44:07 against KC, 32:09 against OAK and just over 30 minutes against CLE, winning the TOP battle in all 3 games. Since the CLE game was close, you can use that argument; OAK is iffy, but they still held it 5 more minutes than they did, but you cannot use it against KC, not when they held the ball for nearly 3/4 of a regulation game and while attempting 44 passes.

Dino 6 Rings
01-03-2010, 11:16 PM
yeah well X-Terminator...the Steelers got the ball first in OT and even with Batch at QB, failed to get points and then the defense Gagged it back and let the Cheifs win...if we have a drive there, and kick a field goal, even with Batch...we are in the dance...

SteelCurtain0815
01-03-2010, 11:24 PM
They had the ball for 44:07 against KC, 32:09 against OAK and just over 30 minutes against CLE, winning the TOP battle in all 3 games. Since the CLE game was close, you can use that argument; OAK is iffy, but they still held it 5 more minutes than they did, but you cannot use it against KC, not when they held the ball for nearly 3/4 of a regulation game and while attempting 44 passes.

Nice research. My theory was wrong about the defense being on the field too long. It just baffles me how we can win the super bowl the year before, and lose to these three teams down the stretch of an important part of the season.

X-Terminator
01-03-2010, 11:30 PM
yeah well X-Terminator...the Steelers got the ball first in OT and even with Batch at QB, failed to get points and then the defense Gagged it back and let the Cheifs win...if we have a drive there, and kick a field goal, even with Batch...we are in the dance...

Yeah, but his question wasn't about that, it was about the defense possibly tiring out late in those games, when really, they shouldn't have been. I'm well aware of the fact that the offense didn't get the job done when they had their opportunity to win the game in OT.

Merchant
01-03-2010, 11:46 PM
NOBODY'S defense stood out this year. Even with our horrendous secondary and 4th quarter meltdowns I still agree with us being in the top 5. Who else deserves it? I thought Philly had a good D until watching them allow 300 yards in the 1st half to Dallas today. I thought Green Bay had a good D until Ben put up 500 yards on them. Baltimore was mediocre too.

Let's face it, it wasn't a good year for defense.

madtowndrunkard
01-03-2010, 11:50 PM
The reasons we are ranked 4th:

#1 -Easy schedule

#2 - Quarters 1-3 .... we were actually pretty good. I have no idea why we stunk in the 4th quarter this year....It makes no sense. If the players can execute the game plan in the first half why cant they in the 2nd? It makes me suspect that the coaching staff was unable to adjust defensively to what opponents did offensively. Opponents were able to adjust in the 2nd half but we were not. I think you have to blame the coaching staff for the 4th quarter collapses for the most part.

#3 - TD returns....Offense allowed something like 4 TDs off turnovers, Not so Special teams allowed 4 TDs. Opponents offense doesn't even need to score to win...we score for them.

#4 - STs consistently gave opponents short fields to work with. Defensive rankings are based on yardage.

#5 - In Nov/ Dec - injuries have caught up with us. Opponents figured out how to exploit the fact that Smith and Troy were injured. We were actually not so bad defensively early in the season....by the end of the year we were not a #4 ranked defense....not even close. The loss of Smith and Troy told us who the real back bone of this defense is..... and we lost both of them. The entire house of cards collapsed with those two guys gone. Gay and Ike were exposed badly. Timmons struggles to stuff the run. We must find more depth on our defense.

SteelCurtain0815
01-03-2010, 11:58 PM
Good point Merchant. Now that I think about it, no defense really soared above the rest. It was a bad year for defenses. A lot of that is probably due to the number of teams throwing the ball so much this year.

madtowndrunkard
01-03-2010, 11:58 PM
NOBODY'S defense stood out this year. Even with our horrendous secondary and 4th quarter meltdowns I still agree with us being in the top 5. Who else deserves it? I thought Philly had a good D until watching them allow 300 yards in the 1st half to Dallas today. I thought Green Bay had a good D until Ben put up 500 yards on them. Baltimore was mediocre too.

I think it has more to do with the NFL and how they want games officiated.

You no longer see holding get called consistently. It's a total joke. Did our horrible O-line suddenly get better or did the NFL just allow them to hold more? Harrison has been taken out of the games because of holding. Unfortunately Harrison let the holding get to him mentally. His play slowed down the last month and I think it is because he let the officiating get to him. Harrison's game is based on speed...holding him killed his game. Woodley on the other hand uses push to get in the back field and a quick burst to rack up his sacks. In the first half Woodley didn't know what to do with all the holding but he figured it out. WR's are no longer allowed to be touched. You have to be very careful how you tackle or you'll get 15 yards and a fine.

The NBA ruined their sport by taking defense out of the game....NFL is trying to do the same thing.

SteelCurtain0815
01-04-2010, 12:02 AM
I think our defense would have remained at the top of the league had it not been for the injuries to Polamalu and Smith.

Bluedust
01-04-2010, 12:28 AM
Hard to believe but we are now ranked #4 in league in total yards allowed, our are expectations too high? i don't call a good defensive football team unless they get under 250 yards per average per season.

what are your thoughts on the 4th ranked defence, is this league going to super high scoring high offensive games?

Research our ranking for the 4th quarter.

After you find it, you owe me some Mekong in Mt. Lebanon, thanks.

micahn31
01-04-2010, 12:33 AM
I think our defense would have remained at the top of the league had it not been for the injuries to Polamalu and Smith.

that is so true, but our defense looked good at times without them. like the first half of the dolphins game. they dominated them, but the second the stopped putting pressure on the qb they got picked apart. i think the key to our defense is making the qb throw the ball before he is ready and before our db's get burned

sharkweek
01-04-2010, 12:41 AM
our defense is great the first 3 quarters, then it just goes down the shitter

pepsyman1
01-04-2010, 12:43 AM
Yardage stats are a secondary consideration to what happens on the scoreboard. We've had some years like this before with Bill Cowher where we did pretty well statistically in terms of yardage but didn't do as well against points scored...and really, THAT'S what it's all about. Your defense has to keep other teams from scoring..period.

It's the same thing on offense; we can go marching up and down the field, but if we come up lame and mostly score field goals in the red zone we don't accomplish much. As much yardage as we had with our high powered offense this year, we still scored less points than we did in 2004. 2005 and Tomlin's first year 2007.

The only thing that matters in the end is what's on the scoreboard and this year our statistical performance in regards to yardage didn't translate into scoring statistics on either side of the ball.

Bubbabanjo
01-04-2010, 01:07 AM
I dont know...they looked like either Number one or nember two to me the last 6 weeks. Now flush it before it starts to smell!

WH
01-04-2010, 04:09 AM
I think a big ''Huh?'' sums up this whole season.

steeltheone
01-04-2010, 04:47 AM
Nice research. My theory was wrong about the defense being on the field too long. It just baffles me how we can win the super bowl the year before, and lose to these three teams down the stretch of an important part of the season.

Smith (33), Casey Hampton (32) and Keisel (31) -- are in their 30s, as are Farrior (34), Harrison (31) and safety Tyrone Carter (33). Safety Ryan Clark will be 30 on Oct. 12. This is the reason.

supa_fly_steeler
01-04-2010, 05:43 AM

The Jets had a good D, but they played against a over confident bungals team, still their defence was nowhere near the calibre of the sacred 2008 defence of the STEELERS.

:tt04::tt04::tt04::tt04::tt04::tt04::tt04:

Rick5895
01-04-2010, 05:51 AM
The reasons we are ranked 4th:

#1 -Easy schedule

#2 - Quarters 1-3 .... we were actually pretty good. I have no idea why we stunk in the 4th quarter this year....It makes no sense. If the players can execute the game plan in the first half why cant they in the 2nd? It makes me suspect that the coaching staff was unable to adjust defensively to what opponents did offensively. Opponents were able to adjust in the 2nd half but we were not. I think you have to blame the coaching staff for the 4th quarter collapses for the most part.

#3 - TD returns....Offense allowed something like 4 TDs off turnovers, Not so Special teams allowed 4 TDs. Opponents offense doesn't even need to score to win...we score for them.

#4 - STs consistently gave opponents short fields to work with. Defensive rankings are based on yardage.

#5 - In Nov/ Dec - injuries have caught up with us. Opponents figured out how to exploit the fact that Smith and Troy were injured. We were actually not so bad defensively early in the season....by the end of the year we were not a #4 ranked defense....not even close. The loss of Smith and Troy told us who the real back bone of this defense is..... and we lost both of them. The entire house of cards collapsed with those two guys gone. Gay and Ike were exposed badly. Timmons struggles to stuff the run. We must find more depth on our defense.

Absolutely right on with injuries. IMO poor safety play had more to do with CB's getting burned but the CB's struggled at times too.
The other thing that killed us defensively, the amount of dropped pics at critical times in games. We make those plays as we did last season, no one talks of the D collapsing in the 4th Q and we are no worse than 12-4.

Vincent
01-04-2010, 06:12 AM
it pains me to see the bengals ranked above us in every defensive statistical and that they are playing on nbc next week not us :@

Did you see what the Jets did to those posers last night? :rofl::toofunny::sofunny:

plenewken
01-04-2010, 06:51 AM

I agree with you.

Our awful red zone efficiency (30th in the League) and Ben's 50 sacks are two reasons for our defense to have been on the field much more than reasonable.

A 3pt lead going into Q4 is not what I call a sufficient cushion to win a game.

By the way, KC scored 44pts against Denver yesterday. That's more pts that the Steelers' offense has scored since ................

steelcity1974
01-04-2010, 07:53 AM
Stats and rankings are for college football. NFL is about wins and losses. We didn't win enough games to make the playoffs...I don't care where we rank in yards on offense and defense. That's such a small part of NFL football. Last year we had the statistically worst offensive line in the NFL...but we won the super bowl. Our red zone offense was terrible this year, and our special teams were.....special. Defense gave up way too many points in 4th quarters. But yee haw, we ranked in the top 10 in both O and D...yeah!

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-04-2010, 09:26 AM
I think that most fans who watched the games and not just looked at the stats for their fantasy league, could see for their own eyes that the Defense was a solid unit, but it gave up big plays at times and wasnt suffocating like previous seasons.

I think that they could also see the Steelers best defensive player missed 11 games this season and their D line that consists of mainly players over the age of 30 also missed players and showed their age. It wasnt a bad defense, but one that needs some youth and was hampered by injuries and lack of depth.