PDA

View Full Version : Lamarr Woodley

Merchant
01-03-2010, 10:38 PM
Is OFFICIALLY a beast. He was good before in my eyes, but today he turned great. Must have felt good finally getting the chance to hit the guy who always wore the red shirt at Michigan. Harrison and Woodley are undoubtedly the best OLB tandem in the NFL.

God I can't wait till 2010 LOL

BlackNGold88
01-03-2010, 10:39 PM
Hopefully we can lock up Woodley long term.

chucoblack&gold
01-03-2010, 10:43 PM
Is OFFICIALLY a beast. He was good before in my eyes, but today he turned great. Must have felt good finally getting the chance to hit the guy who always wore the red shirt at Michigan. Harrison and Woodley are undoubtedly the best OLB tandem in the NFL.

God I can't wait till 2010 LOL

so true, Merchant, so true :chuckle:

SteelCurtain0815
01-03-2010, 10:44 PM
Absolute beast. If only Harrison could have gotten to the QB in the past five games like Woodley did...Kinda pumped to see what he's rated on Madden next year. lol.

Merchant
01-03-2010, 11:33 PM
Absolute beast. If only Harrison could have gotten to the QB in the past five games like Woodley did...Kinda pumped to see what he's rated on Madden next year. lol.

The thing is.. when you're the reigning NFL defensive player of the year.. you don't go unnoticed. Harrison sees a lot more double and triple teams than Woodley does. They're both elite in my eyes.

SteelCurtain0815
01-03-2010, 11:43 PM
Harrison does see a lot more double teams, but today he had two oppurtunities at a sack and missed both of them. I know one game doesn't make or break a guy like Harrison, but his production has dropped the past six weeks. 0 sacks in that span. But, I do agree, they are both elite, because Harrison is still calling for more attention, thus freeing up Woodley.

micahn31
01-04-2010, 12:21 AM
i think part of the reason his production dropped was because he was getting his jersey ripped off evertime he rushed the qb. honestly today was the first day i havent seen him get out right held more than three times. if harrison and woodley both get all the attention next season a lineman will get big numbers, as long as its not Kirschke... i thought you had to be an athlete to play in the NFL but he proved me wrong today, he got burned by thigpen haha

Galax Steeler
01-04-2010, 03:40 AM
I don't think we have to worry about getting Woodley signed he will be on top of our list.The man is an absolute beast. He brings it on every play and know how to get to the quarterback.

Steeldude
01-04-2010, 04:15 AM
i think harrison may be worn out due to be held and clotheslined by 330+ lb monsters all year...sometimes 2 monsters on him.

thankfully woodley finally woke up.

SteelerFanInStl
01-04-2010, 08:23 AM
i think harrison may be worn out due to be held and clotheslined by 330+ lb monsters all year...sometimes 2 monsters on him.

thankfully woodley finally woke up.

Don't forget that he also has that injury to his right bicep. I think that has a lot to do with why he's missing some tackles. He doesn't have the strength that he normally has.

Woodley was all over the Dolphins yesterday and has finished the season on a very high note.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-04-2010, 09:11 AM
Woodley has always been a solid pass rusher and will be a great team leader as he grows into the role.

His play should be judged by MORE than just sack numbers, but it rarely is by most fans. If you look at his sacks yesterday, he beat a RB for one and a RB/TE double team for another. Vernon Carey locked him down for most of the day in pass protection.

steelpride12
01-04-2010, 09:36 AM
Wood is for sure a lock when it comes to getting signed for next season. He has proved himself with double digit sacks the last two seasons and makes a difference every single down.

Last season he really turned heads keep up with Harrison in sacks and becoming the deadliest line backer corp in the league. He started off slow this weekend, but kicked it into gear when it matters the most. He is a beast.

Steeldude
01-04-2010, 09:57 AM
Woodley has always been a solid pass rusher and will be a great team leader as he grows into the role.

His play should be judged by MORE than just sack numbers, but it rarely is by most fans. If you look at his sacks yesterday, he beat a RB for one and a RB/TE double team for another. Vernon Carey locked him down for most of the day in pass protection.

from what i noticed, in the beginning of the season he was doing little of anything. his pass coverage was poor as was his containment. later in the year(7 to 8 games in) it improved.

i agree, his sacks yesterday weren't special. of course they are still good to have, but RBs and TEs aren't comparable to tackles.

CanadianSteel
01-04-2010, 10:33 AM
Need to get him signed...
1) he has been playing like a beast... and deserves to be a Steeler in his prime.... show him the $$
2) He is the next Jersey I am thinking of purchasing but I would like to wait until he is locked up longer term :tt02:

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-04-2010, 10:36 AM
from what i noticed, in the beginning of the season he was doing little of anything. his pass coverage was poor as was his containment. later in the year(7 to 8 games in) it improved.

i agree, his sacks yesterday weren't special. of course they are still good to have, but RBs and TEs aren't comparable to tackles.

I disagree. he was stuffing things on the edge in the run game early in the season and he actually had more passes defended in his first 8 games than last 8 games.

Woodley got 0 sacks in wins against Denver, Minnesota or Cleveland early in the year, but he was driving Troy Polumbus, John St. Clair into the backfield and standing up Phil Loadholt in those games.

All Woodley did in the last half of the season was put up more sack numbers......so the majority of fans think he sucked in the 1st half. The guy was steady all season, but got better matchups which turned into sacks.

steel9guy
01-04-2010, 11:04 AM
Need to get him signed...
1) he has been playing like a beast... and deserves to be a Steeler in his prime.... show him the $$
2) He is the next Jersey I am thinking of purchasing but I would like to wait until he is locked up longer term :tt02:

I have been tempted this year to buy a Woodley jersey and I want to get it today right now but I have to make sure he's locked up longterm.

revefsreleets
01-04-2010, 11:51 AM
One of Wood's biggest contributions has been and continues to be the fact that he makes big plays at key times (He was the same way at Michigan). He's a solid player to begin with, but his ability to make "splash plays" (in the parlance of Tomlin) is what really makes him special.

Not sure why people had a stigma against him earlier in the year...but there's a lot around here I don't quite understand.

SteelCurtain0815
01-04-2010, 12:06 PM
I thought Woodley had a solid season throughout. He isn't the best in pass coverage, but not terrible either. I agree, he does have a knack for making big plays when it matters the most. He's a beast and hopefully we can lock him up for the long run.

Steeldude
01-04-2010, 12:10 PM
he was stuffing things on the edge in the run game early in the season

i saw poor containment and slow reaction to ball carriers getting to the outside. this is not say he never helped stop a single run in the beginning of the season.

TackleMeBen
01-04-2010, 12:13 PM
i love woodley at U of M. he was good then, and he is good now... i think we need to keep him. i can see him taking over the leadership role on defense.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-04-2010, 12:15 PM
i saw poor containment and slow reaction to ball carriers getting to the outside. this is not say he never helped stop a single run in the beginning of the season.

I saw him under piles that stuffed the RT so the RB could not get the edge and Farrior, Smith, etc were getting the tackles. I guess we all see different stuff, but I thought Woodley was solid all season, despite the lack of sack numbers early on.