View Full Version : Woodley finishes strong

mesaSteeler
01-03-2010, 11:05 PM
Woodley finishes strong
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_660580.html#

By John Harris
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, January 4, 2010

MIAMI -- Steelers outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley is a notoriously slow starter.

Woodley led the Steelers with 13 1/2 sacks, with 11 1/2 coming over the final eight games of the season.

In Sunday's 30-24 win over the Miami Dolphins, Woodley had a team-high two sacks, and he helped keep the pressure on all three Miami quarterbacks the entire game.

"He's a guy that's come on the late part of the season all three years he's been here; evidently that's part of his game," coach Mike Tomlin said.

As a rookie, in 2007, Woodley recorded two sacks in the Steelers' playoff game against Jacksonville.

Last season, Woodley recorded two sacks apiece in the Steelers' three postseason games, becoming the first player in NFL history with two sacks in four consecutive playoff games.

Yesterday's individual performance was of little consolation to Woodley, who missed the playoffs for the first time with the Steelers.

"We have no one to blame but ourselves," said Woodley, who has 29 career sacks.

Woodley sacked Miami quarterback and former Michigan teammate Chad Henne twice in the second quarter.

The first time, Woodley sacked Henne for a 6-yard loss on second-and-2, a traditional running down.

A few plays later on the same drive, Woodley sacked Henne for a 4-yard loss in an obvious passing situation on third-and-18. It pushed the Dolphins out of field-goal range late in the first half and the Steelers went into the locker room with a 17-10 lead.

"It's about rhythm, his moves come together, he develops a feel for it, and he sharpens his sword over the course of the season," Tomlin said of Woodley's pass-rushing skills. "You look for guys who are on the rise as the season goes on, and he's proven through his first three years in the league that's kind of how he plays the game."

John Harris can be reached at jharris@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

mesaSteeler
01-03-2010, 11:07 PM
Woodley adds two more sacks
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_660573.html#
By Mark Kaboly, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, January 4, 2010

€ LaMarr Woodley continued to terrorize quarterbacks Sunday. He sacked Miami's Tyler Thigpen twice, giving the Steelers linebacker 13 1/2 for the season. All but two came in the second half of the season. "Everything was on the line today, so I did my best," Woodley said. Woodley finished with 31/2 more sacks than last year's team leader, James Harrison. "(Woodley's) a guy who has come on the late part of the season all three years he has been here," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said. "Evidently, that's a part of his game."

€ Even if the Steelers wanted to know what was going on during the New England/Houston game, they weren't afforded the luxury. Stadium officials did not put the score of any game on the scoreboard while the Steelers and Dolphins were playing. "I think they didn't show the score on purpose," wide receiver Hines Ward said. Most of the Steelers didn't find out that the Patriots blew a 14-point fourth quarter lead to the Texans until they were walking off the field. Tomlin didn't find out until a reporter told him.

€ Woodland Hills High School was well represented at Land Shark Stadium. Three former Wolverines played in the game - including linebacker Jason Taylor and fullback Lousaka Polite of the Dolphins and safety Ryan Mundy of the Steelers. "Lousaka's sister and my sister are best friends," Mundy said. "My dad coached him in high school." There are two other Wolverines in the NFL - Arizona's Steve Breaston and San Francisco's Shawntae Spencer.

€ Santonio Holmes caught a touchdown pass and almost threw one, too. Holmes' second-quarter pass intended for running back Rashard Mendenhall was intercepted by safety Yeremiah Bell at the Dolphins' 7. "I didn't even see him," Holmes said. "I put the ball over top of him, but he made a play on it. We developed a good feel for it in practice. I felt confident."

markymarc
01-04-2010, 01:28 PM
Lamar is definitely earning his next big payday! I can't wait until the FO resigns him and see the financial numbers. I would also not be surprised once Lamar is done with the NFL to be the Steelers all time leading sack player.

zulater
01-04-2010, 02:31 PM
Woodley might be the best OLB in the game right now.

Steelers>NFL
01-04-2010, 03:32 PM
Woodley might be the best OLB in the game right now.
Man he is not even done developing yet. The sky is the limit for this beast.:thumbsup: