PDA

View Full Version : Should cowher be limiting Ben's media access

BlitzburghRockCity
01-31-2006, 12:39 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/sports/steelerslive/s_418836.html

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was MIA for the team's first official session with the media Monday afternoon at a downtown Detroit hotel. The six Steelers who represented the team were nose tackle Casey Hampton , linebacker James Farrior , cornerback Deshea Townsend , left guard Alan Faneca , wideout Hines Ward and, of course, Motor City native Jerome Bettis . Steelers officials decided to give Roethlisberger a break because media demands on the 23-year-old quarterback will intensify beginning today, at media day. On Wednesday, Roethlisberger will be the lone Steelers player who will meet the media at a podium. The rest of his teammates will be sectioned off for their interviews. Roethlisberger also is in high demand for one-on-ones, and the like.

# Coach Bill Cowher said he's been hands-off in overseeing Roethlisberger's media appointments. "I'm not really too involved in that," Cowher said. "I know we just tried to limit Ben's access this week, so I just think it was just the way it is. You'll have plenty of chances to talk to him throughout the course of the week. That was just the way it unfolded." Added All-Pro guard Alan Faneca , "I'm sure you guys are going to get him plenty for the rest of the week."

Personally, If Im cowher, Im locking the media out from Wednesday on..no more interviews, no quotes, not TV appearances, radio bits, NOTHING. He's doing the right thing by limiting him some, but I'd cut out wednesday meetings too if it were me.

ColoradoSteelerFan
01-31-2006, 01:05 AM
Gotta agree. Ben should be told he is to focus on the upcoming game. As a fan, I would love to see him and hear him. But, isn't it all about what happens on Sunday? This team needs a focused QB. If he leads on Sunday, the team will follow. If Ben is successful on Sunday, the Seattle Seahawks are done. Seattle has no hope if Ben is on. The only player who should be allowed access to the media is Bettis. Its his time....its his city...its his show. Let him shine while the rest of the team gears up to destroy Seattle!

Francos Armyman
01-31-2006, 02:54 AM
I hope they restrict lil Ben's media access, i am sick of seeing that ugly mug on tv... less than a week and he will disappear again

GoStillersGo
01-31-2006, 06:50 AM
Heck I don't know. I don't know the media craziness that is the Super Bowl weekend, and I dare say that none of us here do. Cowher has been there before and has handled young QBs before. He's done well with Ben so far and I trust his judgement... Bettis and others who have been there before deserve more latitude.

melroseplace
01-31-2006, 09:33 AM
Cowher has been there before and has handled young QBs before. He's done well with Ben so far and I trust his judgement...

I agree...Cowher will do what he feels is best

Hammer67
01-31-2006, 09:38 AM
Well...being that the media hype is unnecessary and they ask RIDICULOUS questions, I say who cares? Skip the media stuff.

MTV was there last year asking moronic shit like "Boxers or Briefs?" What??!!:dang:

They have to worry about this game and some stupid ass video jockey asks a question like that. Repetitive questions that they have answered hundreds of times. Reporters questions and the answers should all be logged so that if a reporter asks a question that had already been answered, a moderator comes over and refers them to the previous response. Kinda like message forums!:sofunny:

WisconsinSteelerMan
01-31-2006, 09:42 AM
Gotta agree. Ben should be told he is to focus on the upcoming game. As a fan, I would love to see him and hear him. But, isn't it all about what happens on Sunday? This team needs a focused QB. If he leads on Sunday, the team will follow. If Ben is successful on Sunday, the Seattle Seahawks are done. Seattle has no hope if Ben is on. The only player who should be allowed access to the media is Bettis. Its his time....its his city...its his show. Let him shine while the rest of the team gears up to destroy Seattle!

You know what... I think it is awesome that the Bus is getting the attention this week. He is one of my favorite people...not just a favorite STEELER... He just seems so "grounded"

But here is my thinking... If the bus gets all of the attention this week, he can draw some of the attention away from Hines, Ben and the rest of the boys... Everyone will think that with emotions running high for the Bus, he will get all of the "glory carries" and prepare for his style of running... That would be the perfect time to get Fast Willie in there and run a totally different style of ball...

Let "Bussie" (as the team calls him) get all the attention... He deserves it and it is good for our team's game plan in the long run!!!

GOOOOOO STILLERS!!!!!!!

43Hitman
01-31-2006, 09:46 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/sports/steelerslive/s_418836.html

Personally, If Im cowher, Im locking the media out from Wednesday on..no more interviews, no quotes, not TV appearances, radio bits, NOTHING. He's doing the right thing by limiting him some, but I'd cut out wednesday meetings too if it were me.

Absolutly I think he is doing the right thing. I know that Ben has proven to be tough mentally and physically, but the media can become overwhelming in the SB spotlight. I am glad that Cowher is trying to protect his qb as much as possible. Last thing we need is Ben losing focus because of all the media requests.

Avoid Lloyd
01-31-2006, 10:05 AM
I don't think that this Bettis situation could have worked out any better for the Steelers.

He's going to take most of the heat away from Big Ben and he'll handle all the media pressure like he always does.

It could really make it a lot easier for the rest of the team to focus.

Suitanim
01-31-2006, 10:24 AM
Ultimately I don't think it matters that much.

Atlanta Dan
01-31-2006, 10:44 AM
The "restriction" of media access to Ben is a typical non-story. According to the P-G, each team desiganted 6 players for the initial meet & greet with the media yesterday.

Seattle designated Hasslback & Alexander among the six; Cowher did not designate Ben as one of the six Steelers (which included Ward, Faneca & Bettis). It is similar to the players whom a NCAA coach designates to speak at the post-game NCAA tournament press conferences, which often involves having the seniors speak.

Reasons for Ben not showing up yesterday also may be that it is the Jerome Bettis farewell tour and Cowher wanting to avoid the team concept turning into a media theme of "Big Ben & his Pittsburgh Steelers supporting cast" this week. While winning cures everything, there were a lot of rumors flaoting around earlier this season about player resentement of Ben's alleged prima donna tendencies.

clevestinks
01-31-2006, 03:46 PM
I think he`s doing th eright thing! Ben will have plenty of media exposure afterwards, while holding the Lombardi Trophy

steelcityjameser
01-31-2006, 03:53 PM
i agree. he needs to maintain focus and stay level-headed towards the game.

Hawk Believer
01-31-2006, 03:54 PM
While winning cures everything, there were a lot of rumors flaoting around earlier this season about player resentement of Ben's alleged prima donna tendencies.

I've never heard anything but positive press about Ben. What were those rumored tendencies?

tony hipchest
01-31-2006, 03:58 PM
I've never heard anything but positive press about Ben. What were those rumored tendencies?
thats just the thing. there were none. except for riding a motor cycle without a helmet and stating that he had hurt his toes after last years afc champ game. theres also been bogus rumors made up that he and cowher dont like eachother. total crap, probably made up by browns or bengals fans

football loser
01-31-2006, 11:42 PM
Ben is a little bit full of himself at times, and seems susceptible to the shine job that the media rubs off on people. I think Cowher knows Ben's personality and may be a little concerned that the media will create too much pressure on him to perform well. Ben is a much better quarterback when he is not expected to win the game by himself.

The less publicity he gets the better in my opinion.

Rust-Buster
02-01-2006, 12:25 AM
The media asks such stupid questions anyways, and the players probably hear them over and over again. Good move by Cowher.
Remember the guy who asked Doug Williams "So how long have you been a black quarterback?" Williams took it in stride, although he probably wanted to choke the crap out of the guy.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-01-2006, 12:29 AM
Ben is the only one talking to reporters tomorrow..then its off limits so we can concentrate on the game. He seemed to handle himself well today.

Hammer67
02-01-2006, 12:31 AM
Man...some of you new guys are already catching me in posts and I have been here almost half a year!! Where do you get the time??!!

BlitzburghRockCity
02-01-2006, 12:32 AM
Gotta be quick these days man :laughing:

tony hipchest
02-01-2006, 01:30 PM
Ben is the only one talking to reporters tomorrow..then its off limits so we can concentrate on the game. He seemed to handle himself well today.all i saw was clips, but he made a joke about liking his long hair and how it blew in the wind when he rode his motorcycle (insinuating that he still doesnt wear a helmet)

this dude is way beyond his years on the field and dealing with the media.