PDA

View Full Version : Its Black Monday >>>

SteelerEmpire
01-04-2010, 09:09 AM
Any bets on which Steeler's coach will get the ax first ??? I say the special teams coach... I have not wasted time memorizing the spelling of his name... because I had faith that he would not be around that long... I just call him "crazy L "....

Men of Steel
01-04-2010, 10:23 AM
i hope its arians.

i didnt used to hate the guy so much.
i thought... he cant be all that crazy and pass happy in that lil head of his.

then i realized how much i hated him when, on the steelers first offensive play of the game vs the 'phins, they open up with a 5-wide spread offense.

WTF !!!!???...... :doh:

CUT HIM NOW COACH!!!!!!

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-04-2010, 10:57 AM
I think its gonna take a few days or even weeks.....but my $$ is on Ligashesky and Zeirline getting let go. Something tells me that Ray Horton will be safe and to the disappointment of many posters, Arians will not get fired.

steelreserve
01-04-2010, 11:04 AM
Special teams were an absolute nuclear disaster, so I don't see any way Ligashesky is still around come next week.

If we'd somehow snuck into the playoffs, I bet Arians would have saved his job, but as it stands now, he looks like an excellent candidate to be the fall guy for the entire season.

Zeirline could go either way, but since the line did show some improvement, I'm thinking they keep him around and see if he had anything to do with it.

deminutah
01-04-2010, 11:11 AM
The Bills fired the entire staff including special teams Guru Bobby April this morning. Hire Bobby April.

Gnutella
01-04-2010, 11:15 AM
I think Larry Zierlein stays, and Bob Ligashesky goes. Bruce Arians stays, but in a reduced capacity.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-04-2010, 11:39 AM
The Bills fired the entire staff including special teams Guru Bobby April this morning. Hire Bobby April.

Yeah, would love Bobby April back in the burgh.

WH
01-04-2010, 11:59 AM
This will show my lack of knowledge about special teams, but special teams seems to be a position where you just say 85% of the time ''ok team, if we punt....get down there as fast as you can and stop the guy with the ball. Same with kickoffs. When they punt, help our guy who catches the ball get to the endzone. Same with kickoffs. Ready? Break!''

7SteelGal43
01-04-2010, 12:05 PM
the OC and ST coach must go and go now !

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-04-2010, 12:18 PM
This will show my lack of knowledge about special teams, but special teams seems to be a position where you just say 85% of the time ''ok team, if we punt....get down there as fast as you can and stop the guy with the ball. Same with kickoffs. When they punt, help our guy who catches the ball get to the endzone. Same with kickoffs. Ready? Break!''

Yeah, its a lot more complex than that.

The NFL eliminated wedge blocking on kickoffs and I think the better ST coaches in the league adapted to it and were teaching a better way to block it than Ligashesky did in teaching how to cover it.

SteelC7
01-04-2010, 01:48 PM
the way the steelers are, its possible nobody will be fired, remember wen tomlin said there will be changes? then the only change we saw was deshea starting instead of gay, wow big change!!! but still, arians, the special teams coach, and the secondary coach all need to get the axe

SteelersGirlTN7
01-04-2010, 02:15 PM
I think Larry Zierlein stays, and Bob Ligashesky goes. Bruce Arians stays, but in a reduced capacity.

IMO .. Bruce either stays or he goes ... I dont think theres any way he can be in a reduced capacity .. b/c nothing will really change ..

I do think he needs to just be gone... I know it doesnt fix our defense issues.... but we need a better play caller no matter what.

AllD
01-04-2010, 03:40 PM
Ligashesky will get a $100 gift certificate to Red Lobster with his pink slip.

BigBen'sSwagger
01-04-2010, 04:00 PM
I kinda feel the same way as SteelC7 and in as much as I would love to see changes I don't have faith that Mike will make them. I am not a fan of B.A.'s as Steelermom can atest to, but I don't get a gut feeling that he is going to be fired. As also was stated the oline did seem to come together for the most part so again just don't get the feeling things are going to change there either. If anything it will probably be special teams getting the ax even though that is only the tip of the iceburgh for our problems.

I will say the biggest head scratcher is how we fell so far with basically the same team as the previous year??? I am sickened that nothing changed the slide and it makes me worry for the upcoming year. Is Tomlin the real leader I thought he was??? Does Dick have the formula to make our D feared once again and can he make it happen next year or is this a rebuilding issue??? Do we need Dan to leave his position in Ireland??? I don't know what the answer is but I hope we find it quick and get back to our winning ways. Ben won't be around forever.

MACH1
01-04-2010, 04:24 PM
the way the steelers are, its possible nobody will be fired, remember wen tomlin said there will be changes? then the only change we saw was deshea starting instead of gay, wow big change!!! but still, arians, the special teams coach, and the secondary coach all need to get the axe

Tomlin doesn't sign the paychecks.

stillers4me
01-04-2010, 04:26 PM
Tomlin doesn't sign the paychecks.

ding ding ding! Did you see see who was up in the box in MIami watching the game?

I'm thinking the ambassador came back to personally handle some business.

Preacher
01-04-2010, 04:26 PM
IMO, we see three changes, the Special teams coach, and an assistant coach on both the offense and the defense.

I think the last three games saves BA for another year, but he is on a short leash. Personally, I am fine with that, as the last three games have been things of beauty for the most part on the Offense.

Sure, a "what was that?" play here and there, but to make an allusion to one of Tony H. posts -Your starting pitcher doesn't get a shutout every game.

Glace
01-04-2010, 05:13 PM
Yeah...I think Arians saved himself. After seeing what he did the last 3 games, I'm half-inclined to agree with keeping him.

I still say the stats don't mean jack shit unless you get the ball in the endzone and play good "situational" football...but I saw a willingness to learn from mistakes and improve.

The last 3 weeks, we saw the POTENTIAL of the Arians Offense.

sharkweek
01-04-2010, 05:26 PM
i hope its arians.

then i realized how much i hated him when, on the steelers first offensive play of the game vs the 'phins, they open up with a 5-wide spread offense.

CUT HIM NOW COACH!!!!!!

WTF are you talking about, we won that game against the Titans because of our ability to be prolific through the air...if BA had poured on a run heavy game plan that you seem to want back (if only out of panic that our prolific passing game didn't net us another super bowl win) in that game we would have gotten raped and been at most 8-8 this season.

If Arians did anything wrong in that game it WAS NOT that we opened up the game with a 5-wide, its that he continued to try and run when it was so painfully obvious that our OL could do nothing against their 8+ man boxes hell bent on stopping our run. If anything we should have been passing in that game more because it was quite clear that even when we found some success through the air, the Titans never learned to respect that threat and continued to stay hell bent against our run game. We ultimately won that game through the air.

If BA goes it won't because of some retarded notion that a pass oriented offense can't win, it'll be because the guy is too f***ing predictable at the most crucial points of the game. No more run-run-pass-punt-rinse-repeat whenever we have the most meager leads.

At any rate, we weren't losing game because of our offense (other than the Cleveland game), we were blowing leads in the 4th because of our D. Last season we were the team with the ball in the last minutes/seconds and thus could better determine our own fate. This season was largely the opposite, however given a few obvious circumstances our offense was no less capable of doing the same things it did last season, we just didn't manage the games as well as we could have, and that was the fault of the coaching staff as a whole, and certainly not BA alone.

BleedBlacknGold0
01-04-2010, 05:37 PM
The last 3 weeks, we saw the POTENTIAL of the Arians Offense.

Thats a little late when hes in his 3rd year. If the Steelers had not had made the playoffs that last 2 years I think he would have been on the chopping block a lot sooner.

This team needs to get rid of the weak links. There were multiple games this year where the opposing defensive coordinators had their way with him. I'm not talking about defensive wizards either..I.E. browns game.

pancake
01-04-2010, 05:47 PM
Special teams were an absolute nuclear disaster, so I don't see any way Ligashesky is still around come next week.

If we'd somehow snuck into the playoffs, I bet Arians would have saved his job, but as it stands now, he looks like an excellent candidate to be the fall guy for the entire season.

Zeirline could go either way, but since the line did show some improvement, I'm thinking they keep him around and see if he had anything to do with it.

I would like to see us go after Bobby April.

ricardisimo
01-04-2010, 06:37 PM
People repeatedly say that Ben loves Bruce, which is why he'll stay, but I've never actually seen a quote from Ben to that effect. What I have seen is several quotes from Arians saying that he loves play-calling - his one glaring deficiency.

I for one would have no problem with him staying under the proviso that he gets stripped of play-calling, but I doubt he'd ever accept that. Supposedly he has health issues, which combined with his getting caught talking smack about Tomlin to his buddies, might signal the end of the Bruce Arians era.

Lig, Jones and Horton are yesterday's newspaper. Zierlein I'm not so sure... maybe.

lionslicer
01-04-2010, 09:17 PM
i hope its arians.

CUT HIM NOW COACH!!!!!!

I hated him this season during those games when our running game was averaging over 5 yards a carry, and he calls pass plays when we are ahead and doesn't run the clock, and causes the defense to be on the field more than they should giving up more points and causing us to lose.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-05-2010, 01:06 AM
I hated him this season during those games when our running game was averaging over 5 yards a carry, and he calls pass plays when we are ahead and doesn't run the clock, and causes the defense to be on the field more than they should giving up more points and causing us to lose.

How did you like 2nd and goal from the Dolphins 4 yard line and 2 consecutive incomplete passes???

BlackNGold88
01-05-2010, 02:42 AM
I doubt anyone will be fired TBH.

solardave
01-05-2010, 02:56 AM
Yeah, would love Bobby April back in the burgh.

He would be a good fit for us.

Preacher
01-05-2010, 03:00 AM
How did you like 2nd and goal from the Dolphins 4 yard line and 2 consecutive incomplete passes???

Oh I don't know. The first play was a run play, which we only got two yards.

Now lets look at the other plays around that same scenario.

1st and 7, Mendy for 2 yards. 2nd and five, BR inc. pass. 3rd adn 5, TD pass. (First drive).

1st and 6, Mendy 1 yard run. 2nd and 5, BR pass to miller, 2 yards. 3rd and 2, BR pass to Miller, TD. (3rd quarter, starting at 8:00)

So, we were running for only 1 or 2 yards at goal line scenarios. Yet, we were getting into the endzone 66 percent of the drives that were 1st and goal by passing.

Personally, I gotta say that is the right situational choice.

Rick5895
01-05-2010, 05:41 AM
I read an interesting article from Ron Cook this morning. Talked about some of the losses that put us in this spot. It's funny how fans look only at the final score or a couple of plays here and there and say we scored enough to win , the defense didn't hold up etc etc etc.
The 1st Cinci loss, every one blames on a defensive collapse, mmm, Sweed drops a TD, Ben throws a pic 6. So instead of it being 27-9 in the 4th, it's 20 - 16 with the Bungles now having momentum. 2nd bengals loss, Scott has a KR TD. we are inside the 12 yard line 4 times and kick field goals. 6 points against Cleveland C'MON man, Thats 3 games with only 2 td;s against our D. Failed or dropped pics vs raiders and Chiefs as well as a KR TD in the chiefs game hurt as well.
I do concede we didn't play well defensively, but the O has to take some of the blame here as well.
At any rate we can go over that all we want, the fact is THERE SHOULD BE SOME CHANGE, The ST coach, OL coach and maybe the DB coach must go. The O is evolving, as much as I am not a fan of B.A. I see improvement and I like what I see from the O. The D will be much better next season with healthy players, but if we do not improve on special teams we will be in the same spot next year at this time. WE CAN NOT ALLOW MOMENTUM/GAME CHANGING PLAYS ON ST.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-05-2010, 11:00 AM
Oh I don't know. The first play was a run play, which we only got two yards.

Now lets look at the other plays around that same scenario.

1st and 7, Mendy for 2 yards. 2nd and five, BR inc. pass. 3rd adn 5, TD pass. (First drive).

1st and 6, Mendy 1 yard run. 2nd and 5, BR pass to miller, 2 yards. 3rd and 2, BR pass to Miller, TD. (3rd quarter, starting at 8:00)

So, we were running for only 1 or 2 yards at goal line scenarios. Yet, we were getting into the endzone 66 percent of the drives that were 1st and goal by passing.

Personally, I gotta say that is the right situational choice.

Yeah, its amazing how bad a short yardage running game can be without a decent lead blocker and an OT playing guard.

Now....if you had an O line like the Jets and a lead blocker like Tony Richardson.....I bet Fansince '76 could punch it in from there.

CargoJon
01-05-2010, 11:02 AM
I would like to see us go after Bobby April.

THIS