PDA

View Full Version : Bobby April has been fired, should the Steelers go after him?

pancake
01-04-2010, 11:39 AM
He is an excellent special teams coach!

Merchant
01-04-2010, 11:46 AM
Oooh... I like him. Wasn't he special teams coach of the year last season? If he comes at the right price, I think he'd be a good fit.

drizze99
01-04-2010, 11:46 AM
Yes, I believe Tomlin should be calling him right about now....

On a side note, since the Bills cleaned house, Cowher is the front runner to take over there according to Jay Glazer

fansince'76
01-04-2010, 12:03 PM

Then why was he canned?

stillers4me
01-04-2010, 12:04 PM
The entire staff in Buffalo was axed today.

WH
01-04-2010, 12:11 PM
Then why was he canned?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-bills-coachingstafffired&prov=ap&type=lgns

By how it reads in the article there....he seems to be the only one that didn't/won't be fired.....

Oh my god.......T.O. and Cowher in the same building.......
http://cdn-write.demandstudios.com/upload//5000/100/50/4/15154.jpg

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
01-04-2010, 12:13 PM

Then why was he fired?

stillers4me
01-04-2010, 12:13 PM
Then why was he fired?

Well, I guess he wasn't.

TackleMeBen
01-04-2010, 12:14 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-bills-coachingstafffired&prov=ap&type=lgns

By how it reads in the article there....he seems to be the only one that didn't/won't be fired.....

Oh my god.......T.O. and Cowher in the same building.......
http://cdn-write.demandstudios.com/upload//5000/100/50/4/15154.jpg
now that would be funny to see... i would say in week 3 T.O. would be crying to get out of Buffalo, if Cowher was there..:rofl:

Raw Steel
01-04-2010, 12:18 PM
He would be a good addition. The reason he left the Steelers was he and Cowher didn't get along, but I am sure Coach Mike would like him.

X-Terminator
01-04-2010, 01:00 PM
Yes, bring him in. He is an instant upgrade over Ligashesky. Plus, I think the Bills just wanted to clean house, so they fired everyone, and April got caught in the crossfire. The Bills STs have consistently been among the best in the league over the past several years.

solardave
01-04-2010, 01:24 PM
He would be a good addition. The reason he left the Steelers was he and Cowher didn't get along, but I am sure Coach Mike would like him.

I was pretty sure he was our St coach under Cowher. After he left we had some St letdowns too.

manlius-ny
01-04-2010, 03:33 PM
What are we waiting for? He's a great special teams coach...

manlius-ny
01-04-2010, 03:35 PM
That should be Bobby April is available

stillers4me
01-04-2010, 03:36 PM

Maybe we should interview him first. :hunch:

And maybe he wants to interview several places beore making a decision. :hunch:

steelin games
01-04-2010, 05:17 PM
He has to be an upgrade over the coaching we are getting now:thumbsup:

pancake
01-04-2010, 05:44 PM
Yes, bring him in. He is an instant upgrade over Ligashesky. Plus, I think the Bills just wanted to clean house, so they fired everyone, and April got caught in the crossfire. The Bills STs have consistently been among the best in the league over the past several years.

I'm with you... I am tired of our special teams being a joke...

MasterOfPuppets
01-04-2010, 05:49 PM
now that would be funny to see... i would say in week 3 T.O. would be crying to get out of Buffalo, if Cowher was there..:rofl:

T.O. only had a 1 year contract with buffalo. i doubt he'll be back.

tony hipchest
01-04-2010, 05:54 PM
absolutely! it was less than 11 months ago he was being named ST coach of the year. i dont think we would even need to hire him a special teams assistant.

if i was tomlin i would offer to accept less on the 2nd contract to afford bringing april in.

if cowher were to return to coaching this year, you gotta think april would be high on his list.

HughC
01-04-2010, 05:56 PM
This is a no-brainer. Sign him quick before somebody else does.

ricardisimo
01-04-2010, 06:07 PM
Sounds fantastic. There's only one problem with this: the Steelers (going way back, not just under Tomlin) like to talk about Special Teams being a priority. They don't actually like to do anything about it, which suggests that this won't happen. It would be nice, however.

Blackvette
01-04-2010, 06:44 PM

:iagree::iagree::iagree:[

srk173
01-04-2010, 07:40 PM
The article I read said he was the only coach the Bills are keeping.

Steeldude
01-04-2010, 07:58 PM
i remember cowher hiring him around the mid-90's. didn't the steelers fire bobby april back in the 90's because of poor special teams play? i can't remember for sure, but if my memory is correct then why would the steelers want him back?

SH-Rock
01-04-2010, 08:00 PM
Our special team players aren't that bad, well Lil guy for sure ain't

Steeldude
01-04-2010, 08:00 PM
Then why was he canned?

canned from the steelers some years ago too. or was he let go to explore his coaching career?

tony hipchest
01-04-2010, 08:23 PM
i remember cowher hiring him around the mid-90's. didn't the steelers fire bobby april back in the 90's because of poor special teams play? i can't remember for sure, but if my memory is correct then why would the steelers want him back?4 ST td's allowed in an 8 game stretch, in a year where we missed the playoffs by a single game and lost a multitude by less than 7 points.

also having our best returner since rod woodson and still not being able to cash in on a single return.

when a single ST td scored or prevented can be the difference of the playoffs, it is probably a good investment.

i would bet an extra home game in the playoffs is worth an extra $1,000,000 in revenue on ticket sales alone.

Steeldude
01-04-2010, 09:12 PM
4 ST td's allowed in an 8 game stretch, in a year where we missed the playoffs by a single game and lost a multitude by less than 7 points.

also having our best returner since rod woodson and still not being able to cash in on a single return.

when a single ST td scored or prevented can be the difference of the playoffs, it is probably a good investment.

i would bet an extra home game in the playoffs is worth an extra $1,000,000 in revenue on ticket sales alone.

yes, but wasn't the reason they let april go because the special teams were poor?

unfortunately, i have yet to find much info on the steelers' special teams when april was here.

tony hipchest
01-04-2010, 10:08 PM
yes, but wasn't the reason they let april go because the special teams were poor?

unfortunately, i have yet to find much info on the steelers' special teams when april was here.i believe he left because he wanted to go back home and coach for the saints (he is from LA)- i dont think he was fired, but not sure.

his wiki page dont have much on him other than he also was the ST coach of the year in 2004 (1st year w/buffalo).

i always mix him and r. zook up. :noidea:

anyways, i want him back. cant be no worse.

SteelerFanInStl
01-04-2010, 10:14 PM

unfortunately, i have yet to find much info on the steelers' special teams when april was here.

I don't remember the special teams being very good when April was the coach. He was good with Buffalo though and no doubt would be an upgrade.

Steelerroy
01-05-2010, 12:08 AM
I loved him when he was here! He is a fired up guy on the field,I remember him head butting and chest bumping players.Our special teams were good when he was here and he left because he and Cowher did not get along.Cowher gets credited with the great onside kick in the Super Bowl against the Cowboys but it was actually Aprils idea.Watch the highlight video,they show him suggesting it to Cowher.If he's available I sure hope they go after him!!!:thumbsup:

Steeldude
01-05-2010, 12:28 AM
i believe he left because he wanted to go back home and coach for the saints (he is from LA)- i dont think he was fired, but not sure.

his wiki page dont have much on him other than he also was the ST coach of the year in 2004 (1st year w/buffalo).

i always mix him and r. zook up. :noidea:

anyways, i want him back. cant be no worse.

i might be thinking of zook also. well, whoever they hire i hope they will make lanes for the steelers' returns and close lanes for the opposing team's returns :drink:

Preacher
01-05-2010, 12:29 AM
According to this report... April IS fired.

BUFFALO (wned) - The Buffalo Bills' sideline will likely look very different next season. The team told members of its coaching staff today that their fates will be determined by whoever takes over as the team's next head coach.

In a statement, the Bills say each coach is still under contract, but they have been informed that they can seek employment opportunites elsewhere. That includes interim head coach Perry Fewell and longtime special teams coach Bobby April. Fewell is still expected to interview for the head coaching job.

http://www.publicbroadcasting.net/wned/news.newsmain/article/1/0/1595164/WNED-AM.970.NEWS/Bills.Release.Entire.Coaching.Staff

Preacher
01-05-2010, 12:34 AM
April left of his own accord seemingly. Possibly to go back to his own hometown.
http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/latimes/access/16704525.html?dids=16704525:16704525&FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:FT&type=current&date=Feb+06%2C+1996&author=&pub=Los+Angeles+Times+%28pre-1997+Fulltext%29&desc=Erhardt+Lands+Coordinator%27s+Job+With+Jets&pqatl=google

Galax Steeler
01-05-2010, 03:34 AM
Then why was he canned?

Exactly that is what I was thinking as well.:chuckle:

CanadianSteel
01-05-2010, 09:46 AM
Seeing many of the Bills games up here, the one thing that piss poor team has had going for it the past few years was the specil teams. If they could get April to come to the Steelers I woudl be estatic !

solardave
01-05-2010, 09:51 AM
Then why was he canned?

Cowher and April didn't get along so he was fired here too. If Cowher is going to the Bills he'd just fire him again. His loss could be our gain.

supa_fly_steeler
01-05-2010, 09:57 AM
he was relieved of his duties so when Cowher comes in, he can start a fresh.

it is time for judgement day, time for april to rape special teams again, in 2010 with steelers.