PDA

View Full Version : Woodley stands behind comments

mesaSteeler
01-04-2010, 08:46 PM
Woodley stands behind comments
http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2010/01/04/parkers-return-an-intriguing-possibility/
Associated Press

PITTSBURGH -- Linebacker LaMarr Woodley isn't apologizing for saying the Patriots and Bengals would "lay down" in their season-ending games so the Super Bowl champion Steelers wouldn't return to the playoffs.

Woodley's reasoning: Did anyone watch the Bengals lose to the Jets 37-0 on Sunday night?

While the Patriots played most starters until the end of their 34-27 loss in Houston -- leading receiver Wes Welker sustained a season-ending knee injury during a game that mattered little to New England -- the Bengals looked lethargic and disinterested.

Just as Woodley predicted they would be when he said last week, "All of them lay down. ... Cincinnati is probably going to go into New York and lay down for the Jets and not play them hard just because they're not going to want to see Pittsburgh in it."

By the time Cincinnati lost, it didn't matter to the Steelers (9-7), who needed an improbable combination of results to sneak into the playoffs and didn't get it after beating Miami 30-24.

Woodley wasn't backing down Monday, although the Bengals couldn't have helped the Steelers even by winning.

"I was just calling it how I saw it," Woodley said. "If you watched the games, I don't need to say anything more about it. ... I'm not a guy who starts trouble, but sometimes you have to speak your mind. Sometimes, you're wrong. And sometimes, you're right. But if you watched the games, you can tell me if I'm wrong or right."

None of Woodley's Steelers teammates echoed his remarks, which caused a stir in New England and Cincinnati. Some thought he was joking. Defensive tackle Casey Hampton disagreed, saying teams assured of going to the playoffs own the right to determine how they use their personnel.

Still, Woodley doesn't think it's necessary for NFL commissioner Roger Goodell to introduce incentives for teams to keep playing their starters after their playoff position is secure, even though Woodley wanted the Bengals and Patriots to do exactly that.

On Sunday, Goodell suggested enticements such as extra draft picks might persuade teams to play their regulars for more than a quarter or two late in the season, thus maintaining the sport's integrity as teams jockey to get into the playoffs.

The Jets, for example, qualified after beating two teams that pulled most of their regulars early, the Colts and Bengals.

"But I don't think you need to do all that," Woodley said. "Coaches are going to make those decisions to rest players or not. Players want to play in games and win games. I don't want to rest. I want to go out there and play, because I want a winning record. But I can't see having incentives. That won't matter, because they're going to play or not depending on the coaches."

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press

SteelC7
01-04-2010, 11:14 PM
im glad he said wat he said, we were all thinking the same think, good stuff woodley

tony hipchest
01-04-2010, 11:24 PM
did anyone really think joey porter was wrong when he called that rapist jerame stevens a puss?

i didnt. some things deserve to be spoken.

Steelers>NFL
01-05-2010, 08:42 AM
His comments was like blaming somebody else, for your team's failure to make the playoffs on your own.
Those teams owed nothing to the Steelers...

plenewken
01-05-2010, 08:57 AM
His comments was like blaming somebody else, for your team's failure to make the playoffs on your own.

Agree 100%

SteelCurtain
01-05-2010, 09:03 AM

You are exactly right, but those teams do owe it to the fans who pay $80 or more a ticket to attend those games. They owe it to the fans who pay for Sunday NFL Ticket. They get paid millions of dollars to play football and should play every game if they are healthy... The Steelers made their bed and they have to sleep in it. No blame should go to any other team for their failure to make the playoffs, but in no way should the starters not play every game if they are able to do so. That is ridiculous...

scsteeler
01-05-2010, 09:47 AM

I don't think so. The Steelers have nothing to blame but themselves for not being in the playoffs. On Woodley's statement I agree that the bengals would not play to win knowing this would help the Steelers get in the playoffs.

vrabinec
01-05-2010, 09:58 AM

I looked at it as more of a desperate attempt to fire up a couple of teams the Steelers needed to win. Didn't work, but I don't begrudge Woodley the effort.

steelerchad
01-05-2010, 09:59 AM
You are exactly right, but those teams do owe it to the fans who pay $80 or more a ticket to attend those games. They owe it to the fans who pay for Sunday NFL Ticket. They get paid millions of dollars to play football and should play every game if they are healthy... The Steelers made their bed and they have to sleep in it. No blame should go to any other team for their failure to make the playoffs, but in no way should the starters not play every game if they are able to do so. That is ridiculous...

You say this, but our beloved Steelers did the same thing back in 2004. They pulled their starters played with backups and beat the Bills 29-24 in a meaningless game for us. If the Bills had won they would have been in the playoffs and another team would have been bumped. I'm pretty sure that teams fans would have been pissed. But I can tell you I wasn't pissed at the Steelers for resting starters because I was glad we had a healthy, rested team going into the playoffs.
Do I wish the Colts, Pats, Bengals would have played their starters and won games to help us, SURE I DO! But I don't blame them. That blame belongs to the Steelers.

SteelerEmpire
01-05-2010, 12:55 PM
If I was a fan and paid up to $300 for a ticket I would be pretty upset if physically able starters did not give me my monies worth... as the fans are the heartbeat of the NFL.
Would be cool if the Commish did put incentives in to keep teams players on the field. The Steelers kept theirs in last year (under Tomlin)... no problem...
Woodley just did the equivalent of telling everyone that the sun was gonna rise in the morning.... he just told them the "point-blank " truth....
But, the Steelers, as a team, through the season away like they didn't want to be football players for the best franchise in the league anymore ??? The 53 men on the roster, and coaches, don't know how blessed they are...
Most people know when you squander your blessings, God takes them away. And the team got their first piece of it taken back by not getting into the playoffs. Lets get it together guys so the team can resume the real dynasty of the NFL starting in the 2010 season... Kickoff is in 9 months.... :thumbsup:

bblocker14
01-05-2010, 01:15 PM
We lost to the Chiefs, Raiders and Browns. We don't deserve to go to the playoffs.

CantStop85
01-05-2010, 01:25 PM
Woodley's reasoning: Did anyone watch the Bengals lose to the Jets 37-0 on Sunday night?

He did realize that the Steelers had already been eliminated, right? :doh:

KeiselPower99
01-05-2010, 02:03 PM
Want proof that the Bengals laid down? They could have beat the Jets clinched the 3 seed and had the won in round 2 play San Deigo. Now if New England and Cincy both win Cincy gets the Colts. They are 1 and done anyway.

Jaquila
01-05-2010, 04:39 PM
he shouldnt apologize!
not only is it true! But I think it was a fair way to try and provoke those teams to win which we needed them to.

i82much
01-05-2010, 08:54 PM
Ravens fan here (ducks rotten vegetables). I agree with his comments, particularly with respect to Cincy. Why on earth would the Bengals want to play a division rival when they can play the Jets???

Cincy earned it - they sure beat our butts twice. I don't have any problem with teams taking a strategic loss late in the season. They are only in that position because of what they did earlier in the season.

Steel Warrior
01-05-2010, 09:04 PM
Goodell's suggestion that we give teams that have locked playoff seeds an extra draft pick to encourage them to play their starters is crap, that's just what teams that finished that high need to level the playing field in future years. They need to be hit in the "money", that's what this world revolves around and that's the only thing that would work.

How about this, such teams have to let their fans know 72 hours in advance how many quarters the starting QB is going to play. If you go to the game knowing how many quarters he's going to play, no refund, if you don't go to the game, you get a 25% refund for each quarter he didn't play. For example, if he's not going to play the last game, and you don't go, full refund. I'm bettin' that would change things.

fansince'76
01-05-2010, 09:18 PM
Goodell's suggestion that we give teams that have locked playoff seeds an extra draft pick to encourage them to play their starters is crap, that's just what teams that finished that high need to level the playing field in future years. They need to be hit in the "money", that's what this world revolves around and that's the only thing that would work.

How about this, such teams have to let their fans know 72 hours in advance how many quarters the starting QB is going to play. If you go to the game knowing how many quarters he's going to play, no refund, if you don't go to the game, you get a 25% refund for each quarter he didn't play. For example, if he's not going to play the last game, and you don't go, full refund. I'm bettin' that would change things.

I think that's a pretty darn good idea. I think it might be a logistical nightmare to implement, though.

Steel Warrior
01-05-2010, 09:41 PM
I think that's a pretty darn good idea. I think it might be a logistical nightmare to implement, though.

Sending back an unused ticket for your refund would be pretty simple, but, the "games" team's could play could become a nightmare. Like if a team said the QB got injured at the end of the last game and thus he wasn't playing the next game.