PDA

View Full Version : Summing Things Up...

SteelStang
01-05-2010, 07:16 AM
After returning from vacation, during which I seldom go near a computer, I have found the forum here to be entertaining and enlightening as always during my absence. For what it's worth I'm just trying to summarize the feelings of what this team should do based on everything I've read from all of you while sharing my own thoughts.

OFFENSE

1. Fire Arians- For a brief moment Sunday, I was thinking maybe we should bring him back for one more year. Maybe eliminate the awful experience of BR having to learn an entirely new offense, but then after watching his play-calling later in the game I quickly snapped out of it. My hope is that he is fired and Kenny gets the OC job.

2. Offensive line- I think we are OK with Hartwig, Kemo and Starks, but I would welcome any upgrades, This is a no-brainer.

3. I like MM on 3rd down and I like Mendy although I could do without so many damn spins... I think we still need a guy who can spell Mendy the way FWP did this year. No way we can pay him for that role so this is likely a draft pick.

DEFENSE

1. We must get younger in the front 3. I really liked what Ziggy did on Sunday. He did a great job of contain on several plays and really stuck his nose in there too. I see CH gone and maybe another year outta Brett and Aaron.

2. Love ya Potsie, but you can't cover anymore. Secondary? Far as I'm concerned Troy is back and the other 3 spots are up for grabs.

SPECIAL TEAMS

1. Logan? You sold me brother. Other than him, new coach, new ideas, and although JR is money from 40 in, I think it is time for a big leg for longer FG's and for longer kickoffs.

DRAFT

This may be the most important draft the Steelers have faced in many years. We literally cannot afford any 'projects' or just guys who may play special teams. We need secondary help, D/O line help, and depth in many areas. We really need to get guys who get on the field in one capacity or another from picks 1-7. I know this rarely happens, but I don't see us doing a whole lot in FA.

ljk2442
01-05-2010, 09:02 AM
I like your summary... hit it on the nail... cept Ken Anderson, I like him as the QB coach... we need an OC that runs the power I and uses the Play Action for the big play.... Big Ben is dominate when he goes Play Action...

Atranox
01-05-2010, 10:48 AM
I like your summary... hit it on the nail... cept Ken Anderson, I like him as the QB coach... we need an OC that runs the power I and uses the Play Action for the big play.... Big Ben is dominate when he goes Play Action...

I really don't see the Power I being used effecitvely with our offense, with the exception of short-yardage downs where a run is obvious. The days of Bettis are over. With Ben, Miller, Ward, Holmes, and Wallace - it would be ridiculous to try to run to set up the pass. With this offense, we need to pass to set up the run.

Glace
01-05-2010, 10:55 AM
Disagree with using Moore on 3rd down.

Mendy is the best running back we've got and he needs to be an every-down back. I'd be more than happy to keep Moore as a backup, but as a backup only.

StainlessStill
01-05-2010, 10:57 AM
Disagree with using Moore on 3rd down.

Mendy is the best running back we've got and he needs to be an every-down back. I'd be more than happy to keep Moore as a backup, but as a backup only.

Agree. I would of LOVED to see many packages with Mendy, Moore AND Parker in the backfield (which means more weapons) but Mendenhall is CERTAINLY showing his #1 draft pick status and is as versatile as it gets. Still, we need a back in here to compliment him down the stretch next year for December. It's just the way the NFL is and hopefully we can either keep Willie, or go after a back to compliment Mendy for next season.

Rick5895
01-05-2010, 10:58 AM
I really don't see the Power I being used effecitvely with our offense, with the exception of short-yardage downs where a run is obvious. The days of Bettis are over. With Ben, Miller, Ward, Holmes, and Wallace - it would be ridiculous to try to run to set up the pass. With this offense, we need to pass to set up the run.

I concur. The days of the big fullback in the NFL are gone. I am not a fan of Arians by any means, but we need to keep him IMO as the offense is evolving. Single back sets and spreading the D out , I believe tis the way to go, we can still run it effectively and have sound play action. When there is a need for a FB, either keep one on the roster and use in ST or get a third TE that can actually block (unlike Spaeth)

Defensively we need to get younger, DL and Safety would be my priorities, with ILB up there as well. I think we have a solid OL nucleus, something a decent coach can help with. I would let Me Mo go and try to keep Parker, if not let Logan get some third down touches, he would be deadly on little screens (which I saw a couple of against Miami, see maybe Bruce is starting to get it).

OX1947
01-05-2010, 12:13 PM
The Steelers late game philosophy and horrid secondary were equal disasters this season. Going 4 wide with double digit leads late in the game were horrible decisions on TOMLIN. Not Arians. Arians is a offensive coordinator, Tomlin is the head coach and Tomlin has the power to tell Arians to play smart and run it down their throats with a back averaging 5 yards a carry. Arians only issue is he isn't a schemer. And with Big Ben's habit of holding the ball for 5 min, that showed me that Arians didn't adapt that negative Ben has to more roll outs, more check down situation. The offensive line was finally coming together after the the first few games and then they lost 2 of their 5 guys, one of them being our best o-lineman. Sad luck, but the Steelers do need to get a new center. Hartwig to me cant seem to call the the blocking at the line and he holds way too much for a center. Center's who hold are double worse then a guard or tackle holding.

The blown coverages by the secondary is solely on the cause of ryan clark, tyrone carter, gay and SWAGGIN. Their in ability to not catch INTs, not turn around on every damn floating pass, and playing 15 yards off the receivers because their lack of covering on an island.

These two horrible areas trickled down to a lot of sure fire guys looking bad. One being James Farrior. Last time I checked, Farrior the first 11 years of his career, wasnt covering fast running backs. Not having Troy in there put Farrior out of position and made him look old and slow. And taking away his twin(Foote), didnt help either. Farrior is a zone cover and run stopping LB. Not a cover LB. Same with Woodley, the reason he started slow, was because he spent half the time in coverage. Once that stopped, he was racking the sacks. Timmons is not a "Mike" linebacker. Never will be. He is an OLB, playing out of position. The reason why Fox was so good, is because Fox is a Mike linebacker and is built to stuff, thats his game. Timmons is a fast, chase you down, sack the QB from the edge or sometimes under the D-lineman linebacker.

Lastly, special teams. Other then Jeff Reed, punting, coverage were the worst I have seen ever. What ever the steelers need to do this off season, they need to sure up the special teams coverage. That was a huge factor is a lot of these games from field position to points.

Positives. Steelers may have one of the baddest offensive in team history for the next few years. Big Ben, Mendy, Ward, Holmes, Wallace and Miller. That is as stacked an offense as it gets.

Ziggy Hood looked good the last few games. I saw him bulling guys with amazing strength. Look for him to replace Aaron Smith by year 3.

Lamar Woodley will be a 20 sack player one day and a DOPY. That guy is an amazing physical specimen. And even better is his mental game. He can speak, and articulate what he says and have that same thinking process to want to be great and be with a great organization.

Steelers now need to draft some secondary help and a center. Get a better SP coach and fine tune from there. Not much needs to change other then that. Bad coaching, bad injuries, and horrible luck ended the season prematurely, but that's the way it goes.

SteelC7
01-05-2010, 01:34 PM
ya we gotta pass to set up the run, we have too many weapons not to do that, mendenhall is a good receiver outta the backfield, id like to see more swing passes and screens to him, and moore is a solid 3rd down back, we need someone to spell rashard tho, and we cant afford to draft one too many other positions require attention

steeltheone
01-05-2010, 02:23 PM
Ziggy Hood looked good the last few games. I saw him bulling guys with amazing strength. Look for him to replace Aaron Smith by year 3.

Ziggy should replace Smith next year. Smith is 34. Ziggy just needs to play, period. Another year of part time work is a waste of time and does him no good.
Positives. Steelers may have one of the baddest offensive in team history for the next few years. Big Ben, Mendy, Ward, Holmes, Wallace and Miller. That is as stacked an offense as it gets.

We are good, but not that good. The Eagles are more dangerous and deeper on offense than we are. Take one receiver out and we are hurting. Take Ben out and we are screwed. I will agree we are very close. Another good receiver and a year under Dixons belt with Summers panning out and we are there.
Farrior out of position and made him look old and slow
Farrior is 34 and done. Bye Bye

SteelStang
01-06-2010, 06:50 AM
I can totally see where u guys are coming from in reference to Moore and Mendy on 3rd down. Unfortunately when the Vikes take arguably the best RB in football out on 3rd down, it doesn't set a real good precedent for the league. The NFL is unfortunately a copycat league and we will certainly need 2-3 good backs regardless of what down it is.