PDA

View Full Version : Jim Wexell Article

Bobby_Walden
01-05-2010, 12:22 PM
http://pit.scout.com/2/935134.html

A really good description of some obvious issues.

revefsreleets
01-05-2010, 12:54 PM
He should join the braintrust. Arians hating is the major required prerequisite.

I wonder if Wexell thinks Sweed desreves another 17 chances?

He was correct about Arians in this case, though...he had a MAJOR lapse there for a bit but he recovered. The goalline sequence followed by the Whisenhunt nonsense was horrific. But you don't shitcan a guy for 10 minutes of one game. And how does Arians get ripped but LeBeau get a 100% total pass?

Also, how the Hell does HE know that the Rooney's want Arians gone? Because, last i checked, they WERE the owners, and I don' think there's a long history of coaches defying the Rooney's wishes on the rare occasions they actually make them known.

xbroughneck
01-05-2010, 01:16 PM
He was correct about Arians in this case, though...he had a MAJOR lapse there for a bit but he recovered. The goalline sequence followed by the Whisenhunt nonsense was horrific. But you don't shitcan a guy for 10 minutes of one game. And how does Arians get ripped but LeBeau get a 100% total pass?

Because Arians offensive scheme, with the talent we have, has consistently been middle of the NFL while Lebeau has had the boys in the top 5 consistently.

Because we have an all star offense, yet consistently put up middle of the road points because they stall in the red zone.

Arians may not be "bad", but IMHO as an offensive coordinator he's below average. Add to that my personal dislike for how he calls a game... I agree with the article.

Lebeau's defense faultered due to players not having the physical ability to make plays. We lost Troy, Aaron, Larry Foote and McFadden.

I'd argue that at this time Larry Foote is still a better middle linebacker than Timmons, and McFadden is a better corner than Gay. Gay is a better nickel back than Townsend, and lord knows there has got to be a better cover safety on the market than Ty Carter.

Lebeau gets a pass this year.:coffee:

Sharkissle29
01-05-2010, 01:30 PM
Because Arians offensive scheme, with the talent we have, has consistently been middle of the NFL while Lebeau has had the boys in the top 5 consistently.

Because we have an all star offense, yet consistently put up middle of the road points because they stall in the red zone.

Arians may not be "bad", but IMHO as an offensive coordinator he's below average. Add to that my personal dislike for how he calls a game... I agree with the article.

Lebeau's defense faultered due to players not having the physical ability to make plays. We lost Troy, Aaron, Larry Foote and McFadden.

I'd argue that at this time Larry Foote is still a better middle linebacker than Timmons, and McFadden is a better corner than Gay. Gay is a better nickel back than Townsend, and lord knows there has got to be a better cover safety on the market than Ty Carter.

Lebeau gets a pass this year.:coffee:

++++++++++1

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-05-2010, 01:34 PM
You guys are all just Arians haters. Don't you know we won a super bowl with him?? :rulez: :pin:

California-Steel
01-05-2010, 01:48 PM
That article hit every point right on the head. Too bad some simple minds don't get it.

BlastFurnace
01-05-2010, 01:58 PM
Wexell is a solid writer. Thanks for posting.

zulater
01-05-2010, 02:06 PM
As usual Wexall delivers the goods.:cooldude:

As for Wexall's assertion that the Rooney's want Arains out. I'm pretty sure Wexall wouldn't put it out there if it wasn't true. Wexall's been writing for a long time, he gets pretty good access from inside the lockerroom and inside the board room. He starts making stuff up or divulging off the record secrets he loses access and credibility. I'm guessing that Art III was the source and isn't upset that it came out like this, hell he may have even encouraged it.

Now as to why the Rooney's wouldn't demand Tomlin make such a change if they were in favor of it. Dan did that once to Noll, lived to regret it, and promised to never do such a thing again. By the way the coach he had fired was one Tony Dungy, :doh::chuckle:

Oh and to paraphrase a certain Admiral that was the Democratic party's VP nominee a long time ago... , I know Tony Dungy, and Bruce Arians is no Tony Dungy.:wink02:

zulater
01-05-2010, 02:23 PM
He should join the braintrust. Arians hating is the major required prerequisite.

I wonder if Wexell thinks Sweed desreves another 17 chances?

Also, how the Hell does HE know that the Rooney's want Arians gone? Because, last i checked, they WERE the owners, and I don' think there's a long history of coaches defying the Rooney's wishes on the rare occasions they actually make them known.

Because he's a good reporter with access and sources. And you're not. :rofl:

Hayeksheroes
01-05-2010, 02:23 PM
What if Big Ben wants Arians to stay?

zulater
01-05-2010, 02:28 PM

Not his decision to make is it?

BlastFurnace
01-05-2010, 02:31 PM
Because he's a good reporter with access and sources. And you're not. :rofl:

LOL...I guess Wexell was right

tony hipchest
01-05-2010, 03:16 PM
just read this. great piece and the guru still proves to be clueless as ever as the the inner workings of the front office. wexell is about as solid of an insider and source for steelers info that you will find.

ben will demand a trade to whichever canadian football team arians finds as his next coaching landing spot. :chuckle:

BlastFurnace
01-05-2010, 03:38 PM
just read this. great piece and the guru still proves to be clueless as ever as the the inner workings of the front office. wexell is about as solid of an insider and source for steelers info that you will find.

ben will demand a trade to whichever canadian football team arians finds as his next coaching landing spot. :chuckle:

Completely agree. Wexell is a solid reporter.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-05-2010, 03:55 PM

Listen Tony..:pin:...you and the rest of the braintrust obviously know nothing about what the front office wants and your blind support of a Twitter based reporter like Wexell is as misguided as......................wait a minute while I read something :coffee: .......OK, check all of that last rant. I was just using reverse phsychology and heard from the auto dealers in the Burgh that Wexell is a good reporter. Carry on :hatsoff:

MasterOfPuppets
01-05-2010, 04:42 PM
Listen Tony..:pin:...you and the rest of the braintrust obviously know nothing about what the front office wants and your blind support of a Twitter based reporter like Wexell is as misguided as......................wait a minute while I read something :coffee: .......OK, check all of that last rant. I was just using reverse phsychology and heard from the auto dealers in the Burgh that Wexell is a good reporter. Carry on :hatsoff: stupid wexell....he was probably one of those predicting lauranitis would fall to the second round...:doh:

revefsreleets
01-05-2010, 10:49 PM
I think I'll wait until the RUMOR is actually confirmed...but it's sure fun to watch everyone pile on based on ONE line from ONE article.

Laughable.

BlastFurnace
01-05-2010, 10:54 PM
I think I'll wait until the RUMOR is actually confirmed...but it's sure fun to watch everyone pile on based on ONE line from ONE article.

Laughable.

I agree with you, but if there was a rumor about one of my employees out there and I knew it to not be true, you better believe that I would nip that in the bud immediately and announce that it is not true.

If this is just a lie or rumor, I feel Tomlin should do the same thing, but so far he hasn't denied it.

revefsreleets
01-05-2010, 11:04 PM
I agree with you, but if there was a rumor about one of my employees out there and I knew it to not be true, you better believe that I would nip that in the bud immediately and announce that it is not true.

If this is just a lie or rumor, I feel Tomlin should do the same thing, but so far he hasn't denied it.

I disagree. Almost every corporate scenario I'm familiar with, if a company is about to be bought or sold, or an attempt to buy or sell it is being made, the very FIRST thing company does is deny any rumors circulating about the very thing they are denying. If they ignore it, it's usually not true. If they deny it publicly, that pretty much substantiates it.

Anyway, if the FO decides Arians needs to go, that's fine. I just hope the new OC implements a system that the players can pick up on fast enough for us to win in 2010, or the SAME people who bashed Arians will turn on the new guy toots sweet.

tony hipchest
01-05-2010, 11:26 PM
hmmmm...

doom and gloom already?

whiz picked up on mularkeys system and responded with a 15-1 season his 1st year and a sb in his 2nd.

arians picked up on whiz's system and responded with an AFC north champ in his 1st year and a sb in his 2nd.

something tells me not to panic if the rumors are true.

for all we know, you could hand the 20 year peanut salesman in the stands the existing playbook and he call a less predictable game than arians.

the rooneys know what they are doing, and i doubt the experts here are familiar with their corporate scenarios.

there is the rooney way and there is the steelers way. i am not sure about any other way when it comes to my beloved steelers.

zulater
01-06-2010, 12:21 AM

Laughable.

You do realize of course whether Arains is eventually fired or not doesn't make what Wexall wrote inaccurate. :coffee:

tony hipchest
01-07-2010, 06:35 PM

question answered.

You do realize of course whether Arains is eventually fired or not doesn't make what Wexall wrote inaccurate. :coffee:

wexell is taking some heat for this article and his personal opinion of the situation, but atleast he's telling the cry babies to shut the hell up-

Then say lack of talent and injuries killed the season. Ron Cook'll give you shelter from rest of storm. Please, go c him.

Yes, some of you ought to be following Ron Cook. He'd make you all feel better about Ben, BA and stat sheet.

The D vs. O argument is for those who believe firing = scapegoating. I'm looking to improve team: Draft D & OL and work run game, push Ben.

Better, go to Bob Smizik's blog. The BA fan club meets up with Ben Cheer Squad and they're ordering executions as we tweet.

:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

revefsreleets
01-07-2010, 06:56 PM

Where is the proof that it WAS accurate? The Rooney's want Arians gone, but he stayed....AGAIN?

This is NOT the first time the fans ignorantly clamored for HIM to be the goat....so this isn't some small minute decision the Rooney's are making here AGAIN.

Your best defense is that we'll truly never know....BUT Arians IS still the OC now, isn't he?

tony hipchest
01-07-2010, 07:09 PM
i dont see any proof that it wasnt accurate.

revs obviously believes the rooneys are dan snyder or jerry jones. :hunch:

Rooney clearly boss, but tradition to leave coach be. Art Sr. to frantic son TIm before cutting Unitas: "Let the coaches coach."

zulater
01-08-2010, 01:26 AM
Where is the proof that it WAS accurate? The Rooney's want Arians gone, but he stayed....AGAIN?

This is NOT the first time the fans ignorantly clamored for HIM to be the goat....so this isn't some small minute decision the Rooney's are making here AGAIN.

Your best defense is that we'll truly never know....BUT Arians IS still the OC now, isn't he?

Did Wexall say the Rooney's would force Tomlin to fire Arians?

And if he made it up I would imagine the Rooney's would eliminate Wexall's weekly column in Steelers Digest. I do believe they have that power.

But they wont because he didn't make it up, and that just pisses you off no end doesn't it? :toofunny:

markymarc
01-08-2010, 02:01 PM
Jim Wexell is a very solid reporter and does a great job on the Pittsburgh Steelers IMO. This article was dead on, but of course the Arians supporters won't care for it. They prefer someone like Ron Cook who can make them all feel warm and fuzzy on the inside when it comes to Bruce Arians.

Bruce Arians will be our OC for 2010, but it does not discount the great points Jim Wexell talked about in this article.

revefsreleets
01-11-2010, 05:27 PM
Again, I'm waiting for someone to explain to me why the Rooney's KEEP making the same mistake over and over and over again.

They either want their team to fail, or the detractors know more about this Arians thing then they, and Colbert, and Tomlin do....

zulater
01-11-2010, 07:24 PM
Again, I'm waiting for someone to explain to me why the Rooney's KEEP making the same mistake over and over and over again.

They either want their team to fail, or the detractors know more about this Arians thing then they, and Colbert, and Tomlin do....

It's already been explained. Try reading everything a little slower this time.

:coffee:

tony hipchest
01-11-2010, 07:26 PM
It's already been explained. Try reading everything a little slower this time.

:coffee:i think he has everyone on ignore and is just talking into the air... :noidea:

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-11-2010, 07:47 PM
i think he has everyone on ignore and is just talking into the air... :noidea:

:dramaqueen:

HometownGal
01-11-2010, 07:58 PM
That article hit every point right on the head. Too bad some simple minds don't get it.

So we're "simple minds" because we don't join in on the (undeserved imho) Arians hatred? Wow.

I put this talking turkey in the same category as I put Laird. Rumors and speculation = drama = ratings and $$$ in their pockets.

P.S. REVS - this is the LAST time I am going to ask you nicely to stop with the "braintrust" remarks. :mad:

HometownGal
01-11-2010, 08:03 PM
i dont see any proof that it wasnt accurate.

And I haven't seen any proof that it IS accurate. :banging:

P.S. Just as I asked Revs to knock it off with the brain trust remarks, I'm going to ask you nicely to stop with the baiting please.

zulater
01-11-2010, 08:13 PM
So we're "simple minds" because we don't join in on the (undeserved imho) Arians hatred? Wow.

I put this talking turkey in the same category as I put Laird. Rumors and speculation = drama = ratings and $$$ in their pockets.

P.S. REVS - this is the LAST time I am going to ask you nicely to stop with the "braintrust" remarks. :mad:

Hatred? Why do we use the word hatred? I don't hate Bruce Arians, I don't hate anyone who suits up or coaches for the Black and Gold. Never have never will. :shake01:

Wexall is an excellent writer, very opinionated no doubt, but I'd bet my last dollar that he wouldn't make a story up.

I do think were was some measure of internal debate about Arains retention, and I don't see why anyone would feel threatened by that possibility after the fact?

Internal debate is healthy. But once the decision is made there's absolutley no reason to tell the world that the decision was anything other than unanimous.

stillers4me
01-11-2010, 08:15 PM
:hunch:

jocRd-aajW0

revefsreleets
01-11-2010, 08:32 PM

So the guru thing is ended?

Damn! I liked being the guru....have to change my sig, I guess.....but I'll wait until I actually see the culprits stop. Somehow there seems to be a LOT more leeway and lagtime for them....

tony hipchest
01-11-2010, 08:50 PM
Hatred? Why do we use the word hatred? I don't hate Bruce Arians, I don't hate anyone who suits up or coaches for the Black and Gold. Never have never will. :shake01:

Wexall is an excellent writer, very opinionated no doubt, but I'd bet my last dollar that he wouldn't make a story up.

I do think were was some measure of internal debate about Arains retention, and I don't see why anyone would feel threatened by that possibility after the fact?

Internal debate is healthy. But once the decision is made there's absolutley no reason to tell the world that the decision was anything other than unanimous.

100% spot on. i guess its a glass full/glass empty type thing.

i dont see all this arian hatred either. what i do see is people who question (and may even despise the results of) his core offensive philosophy.

but those who do question his philosophy are told that they must unconditionally question that of lebeau also, or they are a "hater".

what if they simply dont feel like questioning a coach who has proven his philosophy in this league for many years? what if those dont believe that he simply adjusts and makes a radical move like switching to the tampa 2 defense midseason, to "adjust" and compensate for losing 2 defensive stallwarts?

shouldnt we be able to believe and discuss what we want without having stipulations and demands attached that we "hate on" lebeau also? :noidea:

why should i be forced to subscribe to the theory that teams all of a sudden "figured out and exposed" lebeaus scheme as far back as last year, simply because larry fitz toasted us in the SB (larry fitz owned EVERYBODY in the playoffs last year and continues to do so).

i trust the FO just like many. i trust lebeau will fix this defense just like he has PROVEN to do in 05 and 08. what i dont trust is arians capability to do the same.

does that make me a "hater"?

what this whole "hate arians" thing shows me is some people are incapable of accepting when others dont agree with them and its going to extremes. we now have posters calling all or "most" of the fans haters.

people are even starting threads hating on the entire fanbase, for supposedly not attending games.

all writers who report the news or discuss the issues are "haters".

and baited terms such as crucifixion and lynch mob are now thrown out, left and right.

thats funny because the other side isnt saying all the arians supporters are his "lovers" or "in bed with him" or "worshippers". :hunch:

zulater
01-11-2010, 09:04 PM

i dont see all this arian hatred either. what i do see is people who question (and may even despise the results of) his core offensive philosophy.

but those who do question his philosophy are told that they must unconditionally question that of lebeau also, or they are a "hater".

what if they simply dont feel like questioning a coach who has proven his philosophy in this league for many years? what if those dont believe that he simply adjusts and makes a radical move like switching to the tampa 2 defense midseason, to "adjust" and compensate for losing 2 defensive stallwarts?

shouldnt we be able to believe and discuss what we want without having stipulations and demands attached that we "hate on" lebeau also? :noidea:

why should i be forced to subscribe to the theory that teams all of a sudden "figured out and exposed" lebeaus scheme as far back as last year, simply because larry fitz toasted us in the SB (larry fitz owned EVERYBODY in the playoffs last year and continues to do so).

i trust the FO just like many. i trust lebeau will fix this defense just like he has PROVEN to do in 05 and 08. what i dont trust is arians capability to do the same.

what this whole "hate arians" thing shows me is some people are incapable of accepting when others dont agree with them and its going to extremes. we now have posters calling all or "most" of the fans haters.

people are even starting threads hating on the entire fanbase, for supposedly not attending games.

and baited terms such as crucifixion and lynch mob are now thrown out, left and right.

thats funny because the other side isnt saying all the arians supporters are his "lovers" or "in bed with him" or "worshippers". :hunch:

Great post Tony. I can tell that was really heartfelt. :thumbsup:

revefsreleets
01-11-2010, 09:10 PM
Great post Tony. I can tell that was really heartfelt. :thumbsup:

You need CAPS, man!

You are important, and we all need to RECOGNIZE!

zulater
01-11-2010, 09:12 PM
You need CAPS, man!

Yawn. I thought you were done with me douchebag?

revefsreleets
01-11-2010, 09:13 PM
Yawn. I thought you were done with me douchebag?
I am.

I am.

Welcome to ignore...

tony hipchest
01-11-2010, 09:17 PM
but I'll wait until I actually see the culprits stop. Somehow there seems to be a LOT more leeway and lagtime for them....
:thumbsup: way to go, bro.

You need CAPS, man!

:coffee: stay classy...

zulater
01-11-2010, 09:19 PM
I am.

I am.

Welcome to ignore...

Hooray beer! :drink:

Seriously, like a litle kid, go take your ball and go home. Wah! :rofl:

Steely McSmash
01-11-2010, 09:28 PM
Oh and to paraphrase a certain Admiral that was the Democratic party's VP nominee a long time ago... , I know Tony Dungy, and Bruce Arians is no Tony Dungy.:wink02:

:mad::mad:Oh now this is seriously way out of line. :mad::mad:

Admiral Stockdale is famous for saying "who and I and why am I here" and "what's that I had my hearing aid off?"

Stockdale was Perot's VP candidate.

You're thinking about Lloyd Bentsen.

I agree with Wexell but I think the article is a little hotheaded. Was it BA's play call to throw a near incompletion?

On a side note maybe there should be a separate room in the forum for anything involving BA? That dude seems to hijack every discussion.

zulater
01-11-2010, 09:30 PM
:mad::mad:Oh now this is seriously way out of line. :mad::mad:

Admiral Stockdale is famous for saying "who and I and why am I here" and "what's that I had my hearing aid off?"

Stockdale was Perot's VP candidate.

You're thinking about Lloyd Bentsen.

I agree with Wexell but I think the article is a little hotheaded. Was it BA's play call to throw a near incompletion?

On a side note maybe there should be a separate room in the forum for anything involving BA? That dude seems to hijack every discussion.

Oops, that's right. :doh: That was a long time ago. :old:

MasterOfPuppets
01-11-2010, 11:50 PM

:shout: hater

MACH1
01-12-2010, 12:04 AM
Hooray beer! :drink:

Seriously, like a litle kid, go take your ball and go home. Wah! :rofl:

It's your lucky day..:wink02:

zulater
01-12-2010, 12:11 AM
It's your lucky day..:wink02:

The day I start putting people on ignore on a message board will be the day I stop posting on message boards altogether. First off I didn't even know it was possible. Second off it smacks of a five year old holding his breath until he turns blue because he didn't get hot dogs for dinner. It's just so juvenile, I can't even put it in proper context. :rofl: Holy shit, to take this so seriously that you have to pretend someone doesn't exist. :sofunny:

Shea
01-12-2010, 12:21 AM
So the guru thing is ended?

Damn! I liked being the guru....have to change my sig, I guess.....but I'll wait until I actually see the culprits stop. Somehow there seems to be a LOT more leeway and lagtime for them....

Perhaps that leans to the fact that the moderators themselves are getting tired of you and your act too. Just guessing on my part, but that's where I'd put my money.

I am.

I am.

Welcome to ignore...

This is also getting old.

How many people do you supposedly have on your ignore list? I'm betting if true, you're close to three digits.

Hell, I'm feeling a little left out. I aspire to join the many posters here by getting on that list. Nobody wants to be the odd man out. :chuckle:

What's ironic to me is that you made it your personal crusade to get rid of LITP - which was something I admired at the time and fully supported - yet you're hatred for him now baffles me because you have since become him. A pompous, condescending, arrogant poster that nobody enjoys. A know-it-all that wouldn't listen nor take into account what others brought to the table and in turn bullied, and constantly talked down to people with their responses and overall posts. And a poster that's only constant contribution to the board brought about conflict and annoyance, something that drove away members, which is an area you are beginning to breach.

Please, just stop and take some time to take into account what MANY people have been trying to recently tell you. I've seen you in the past contribute positively and were respected for that. Take a step back and find that guy again.

tony hipchest
01-12-2010, 12:23 AM
since wexell has been referred to as a hack and a talkin turkey and a non credible source, i wondered how much credibility he actually has w/in the organization (while i already know the answer, i wanted to find some tangible examples, others could sink their teeth into).

Newsmaker: Jim Wexell / Talk show fight costs him a job, gets praise
http://www.post-gazette.com/regionstate/20020113newsmaker0113p4.aspSunday, January 13, 2002

By Milan Simonich, Post-Gazette Staff Writer

In the snarling world of talk radio, where hosts love to hate callers and vice versa, Jim Wexell broke new ground last week.

He unleashed venom on fellow talk host Mark Madden, accusing him of homophobia.

Station management at ESPN Radio 1250 cringed at the sound of two employees in an ugly, unscripted confrontation over the off-field life of Steelers quarterback Kordell Stewart.

Other people applauded Wexell, contending that he brought a moment of truth to a medium where loose talk can rule.

Steelers owner Dan Rooney sought out Wexell to shake his hand. Defensive coordinator Tim Lewis found Wexell in a hallway and hugged him. Strangers sent him congratulatory emails.

Wexell's notoriety was, in large part, heightened by his firing from ESPN Radio because of the altercation. He had been a commentator on the pre-game Steelers shows until he attacked Madden during the Jan. 6 broadcast.

He was axed after he called Madden, the station's drive-time talk-show host, "a liar" and "a steaming pile of hypocrisy."

Wexell takes his journalism seriously, working six days a week and cranking out a dozen stories in that span. He writes mostly about high school players for his newspaper clients, and never utters a discouraging word about those assignments.

Wexell said he could not sleep after reading Madden's column criticizing the Stewart bashers. He decided that Madden was trying to revise history, and made up his mind to challenge him on the air.

Madden believes it was a gutless, sneak attack that was counterproductive to the talk show.

Jessamy Tang, station manager of Pittsburgh's ESPN Radio agreed, calling Wexell's comments about Madden "inappropriate." When Wexell refused to apologize, he was fired.

Good enough for him, according to Madden. "I just don't understand who appointed Jim Wexell the journalism police."

Wexell said he can live without the job and a medium that embraces rumormongers.

"I'm a music fan. I hate sports talk radio," he said.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2009/3/24/808687/btsc-checks-in-with-jim-weSunday, January 13, 2002

BTSC: On a related note, any thoughts about whether or not the organization will be looking at a CB in either Round 1 or 2 in this year's draft? Or might they look for another William Gay type of talent in the 4th or 5th round to play some special teams, perhaps return kicks and eventually get phased in as Deshea Townsend winds down his career in the coming years?

Wexell: Kevin Colbert likes the depth at the position and has scheduled a visit with Joe Burnett and had a formal interview with Sherrod Martin. It looks like they're aiming for the middle rounds, but then again, if a guy like Darius Butler (UConn) falls to them in the first, I'd be stunned if they pass.

BTSC: Do you think the Steelers flirtation with Joey Galloway was more a luxury they'd enjoy at the right price, or do they feel Limas Sweed isn't ready yet to be the team's No. 3 WR?Is getting a veteran WR still a priority?

Wexell: How can they feel Limas Sweed is ready? I mean, the Steelers are a bottom-line organization and they saw what we all saw. Yeah, we're all happy he gets off the line and can run and is big and strong, but the one drop, the one with the eyes wide open, left me feeling that he's scared and might never make it. Again, as with Hills, the guy has to prove it first. The Steelers will say all the right things if they don't come out of this draft with a WR, but it's a prove-it-to-me organization. Look how long it took Nate Washington to secure faith, and he showed a lot more as a rookie than Sweed did. Oh, to answer your question, they'll try to get a veteran No. 3 WR, but, again, with Mike Thomas coming in March 30-31, it appears they're targeting a WR for the upper middle rounds.

BTSC: Do you like WR Hakeem Nicks, and is he an option for Pittsburgh at No. 32?

Wexell: I would love to think so. He's my favorite. He's a guy who explains why later-round draftors have so much success. They don't have to answer to themselves about combine times and that nonsense. Sometimes they just get stuck with really good players, and Nicks is one of them. The problem will be -- and the reason I like guys like Thomas and Mike Wallace -- is that Nicks isn't a kick returner. But I'd be willing to take the chance. Make it real funny and use Darnell Stapleton to return kicks this year. What would be the difference at this point?

tony hipchest
01-12-2010, 12:24 AM
http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2008/10/03/qanda-steelers-beat-writer-jim-wexell/

Q: One thing that jumped out is how the players seemed to be interested in the idea. They get interviewed all the time, but it seemed like when you brought up the idea of interviewing their friends and family, they generally were excited to give you phone numbers to set things up. Was there anyone who surprised you by helping out or not helping out?
A: Yes, the first person I asked surprised me by saying yes. I approached James Harrison on the sideline at training camp while he was injured and asked him if I could visit his parents' home in Akron during the Hall of Fame Game weekend. Right away he said yes, and that surprised me. Later, when a couple of guys were hesitant, I invoked James' name and they thought, 'Oh, well, then it's OK.' Some guys got wind of it and asked if I'd visit their homes. As you read in the book, Santonio Holmes kind of goaded me into visiting Belle Glade, Florida, but that wasn't in our travel plans because we had to get to certain spots by the next game day. Really, the guy who was most surprised was my partner Jan, the RV driver. He couldn't get over how readily the players welcomed me into their inner circles, but having covered these guys for so long I wasn't surprised at all. Jan says it reflects on me, but I think it reflects on the caliber of people in that locker room.

Q: In the book you mention that the original version of the book was nearly twice as long. Which players' stories were left on the cutting room floor, and what was the best story that just missed the cut?
A: Well, I don't know if there's necessarily a "best story." It'd be hard to cut one of those. I had to trim the Lloyd interview, and perhaps too much, because the mathematics between myself and the graphic designer were askew. I self-published this, and in the self-publishing industry's bible, by the great Dan Poynter, he gave me margin parameters to set on my Word document. Since everything else Poynter said was right on, I went with those numbers, and I cut, and cut to fit absolutely square for a 256-page press run (they run in sets of 16). I had 16 pages of photos, 230 pages off text, the map, the dedication, the table of contents, copyright page, etc., and it all fit perfectly. But my graphic designer used different margin numbers and as you can see the margins are very small and as a result there are several blank pages throughout. It's nothing the average reader would notice, but I took a lot of time to cut this to fit, and cut a lot of good reading to do so. I had to put the Sean Mahan and Carey Davis sections back in. Some of the stuff I couldn't put back in: Bruce Arians' QB days at Va. Tech and how he lost out on the job at Va. Tech to Frank Beamer; Marvel Smith's "big brother" in Oakland; a story about serpent handling in southern West Virginia which led me into a story about Jack Lambert and rattlesnakes with SWVa native Tom Beasley; not finding any tributes to Willie Parker at the UNC Hall of Fame; Casey Hampton's story about lifting weights with GW Bush at Texas and then Bush greeting him at the White House; and the story behind Anthony Smith's interception return at Carolina a few years ago. But a lot of what was cut was self-absorbed drivel that my editors couldn't stand. Much to my chagrin.

Q: Greg Lloyd comes across in the book as just as intense and focused (and intimidating) now as he was at outside linebacker. So who is more intimidating to interview: Lloyd or James Harrison?
A: Oh, Lloyd. I've become used to Harrison. I was already established here when he came along. Lloyd I knew to be cantankerous with reporters, so I was naturally apprehensive. When I started covering the team, he had already stopped talking to the media, so I never had to deal with him. But down in Atlanta I was impressed with his intelligence. When I told other reporters that, they said, 'Oh, yes, he was the best interview on the team at one time.' One reporter told me -- and this is something I cut from the book -- that Harrison IS Lloyd, that both say what needs to be said, regardless of friendships they may lose as a result. As you read in the book, Lloyd didn't just say what needed to be said, he did what needed to be done on the practice field.

Q: How did interviewing the families of the current players change your perceptions of them?
A: My perceptions changed big time, and at times it wasn't for the best. Take Sean Mahan for instance. I visited his coach, friend, aunt and uncle in Tulsa. They told me of his parents dying while he was in school, and how he sucked it up and never missed a practice, and how smart and reliable he is, and how much he loves being in Pittsburgh, that he's finally found peace. Well, when the NYJ nose tackle gets 3.5 sacks against the Steelers, and there was all kinds of muttering in the press box about Mahan, and knew that Dewayne Robertson had been moved up and down the line and beat three different players for those sacks, so I probably stuck up for Mahan too much. It was a reaction from having walked in his shoes. I felt the same way about Anthony Smith after visiting his great uncle, a real classy guy. The story about Anthony being picked up out of the streets of Youngstown and moved to the country really struck a chord with me. When he was called a thug, I already knew the entire background, so in that regard it helped my coverage. I think for the most part it's enhanced my coverage. I've become closer to guys like Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel and Troy Polamalu because of my visits to their hometowns. The Polamalu chapter's one of my favorites. I know it runs too long, but I opted to err on the side of too many Troy stories. There was so much talk flying across the interviewing room that his aunt asked to read the copy before it was published. I obliged and she wrote back that it was the best thing anyone's ever written about Troy. Now, he's agreed to help promote the book by attending a book signing. What a classy guy, and there are several others like him.

and from todays twitter...

No chance Colbert goes with Cowher. Could list 10 reasons, but will just stop with the guarantee.

sounds like he knows about 10 things the rest of us dont....

i hear crow is especially delicious when the ravens are in the playoffs and the steelers arent.

MACH1
01-12-2010, 12:31 AM
I wont believe a word of it until I hear it from tomlin, the rooneys or even msnbc. :rolleyes:

zulater
01-12-2010, 12:35 AM
Nice job Tony. Anyone familiar with Wexall knows he doesn't write fiction. There was most certainly some sort of divide in the Steelers hiearchy about Arians previous job performance and his continued retention. The fact that Arians retained his job in the end does nothing to dispell that.

One more thing. That Wexall is held in high esteem by many inside the Steelers orginzation just might be the reason that he's employed by Steelers Digest to begin with? Just a thought.:tap:

tony hipchest
01-12-2010, 12:52 AM
Nice job Tony. Anyone familiar with Wexall knows he doesn't write fiction. There was most certainly some sort of divide in the Steelers hiearchy about Arians previous job performance and his continued retention. The fact that Arians retained his job in the end does nothing to dispell that.

The fact that Wexall is held in high esteem by many inside the Steelers orginzation just might be the reason that he's employed by Steelers digest to begin with? Just a thought.:tap:well you got me thinking when you pointed out that the organization has editorial controll over Steelers Digest materials and the employees who contribute to it.

a week after wexells article for SCI (the op of this thread) he stands by his word that the rooneys are sick of arians shit. im almost sure he would be fired by now if he were fabricating stories.

i have offered proof where he has the backing of the rooneys and the actual players.

anyone find it strangely coincidental that today m. madden comes out with an article that states that tomlin wanted arians gone but the rooneys forced the coach to keep him on... :rolleyes: :busted: :toofunny:

i have also offered plenty of proof how this is a complete 180 from the "steelers way".

i guess the arians supporters will have to take comfort in that they side with that fat genius and "insider" madden on this one.

im sure most here know that if madden says anything, you are almost 100% safe believing the EXACT opposite.

what a conundrum. :popcorn:

MACH1
01-12-2010, 01:14 AM
Hater

zulater
01-12-2010, 07:27 AM
well you got me thinking when you pointed out that the organization has editorial controll over Steelers Digest materials and the employees who contribute to it.

a week after wexells article for SCI (the op of this thread) he stands by his word that the rooneys are sick of arians shit. im almost sure he would be fired by now if he were fabricating stories.

That's the smoking gun that HTG and others just don't want to address. The Steelers have no control over Laird, Lolley, and others, but they do have control over the content of Steelers Digest and who contributes to it. Thoughts and opinion attributed to the Rooney's by Wexall if false rose to a firable offense long ago. And while it's true none of what Wexall has said concerning this topic has appeared in Steelers Digest, it's still damning enough that if it were untrue I can't see how he'd be allowed to continue on writing for "the official publication of the Steelers." In this day and age people get fired all the time for insubordinate comments made on their facebook page. So I can't see where these sort of published comments if untrue would go unremarked and unacted upon by Bob Labriola the editor of Steelers Digest.

i have offered proof where he has the backing of the rooneys and the actual players.

anyone find it strangely coincidental that today m. madden comes out with an article that states that tomlin wanted arians gone but the rooneys forced the coach to keep him on... :rolleyes: :busted: :toofunny:

i have also offered plenty of proof how this is a complete 180 from the "steelers way".

i guess the arians supporters will have to take comfort in that they side with that fat genius and "insider" madden on this one.

im sure most here know that if madden says anything, you are almost 100% safe believing the EXACT opposite.

what a conundrum. :popcorn:

Anyone who knows anything about the goings on of the Steelers know that Madden is considered a pariah at Heinz field, and isn't a regular in the room. His one and only source inside the Steelers is Ben Roethlisberger. So whatever he's saying is strictly Big Ben's spin.

btw I hope you don't mind my "size." When I see the need to address something inside the quote field of the person I'm responding to, I do that so that person and others can differentiate what I'm saying from what was previously said.

It's not meant to offend, belitlle others, or put myself on any sort of pedastal. :noidea: If it bothers you i wont do it again in future posts.

HometownGal
01-12-2010, 09:33 AM
:coffee: stay classy...

Well . . . posting in all CAPS is a violation of the board COC.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=354

2. Do not make needless, incessant usage of:

-Line breaks or ALL-CAPS.

Come to think of it, all of these redundant BA threads are violations too. :scratchchin:

1. Do not post topics or replies containing:

-Subjects which have already been discussed numerous times (please search first).

Don't shoot the messenger. I didn't write 'em (though I agree with these very simple requests) but am asked to enforce 'em.

HometownGal
01-12-2010, 09:36 AM

Tisn't BA hijacking every discussion - it's the e-sheeple with their boxers in a bunch because they didn't get what they thought they were going to get. :crying01: :wink: :chuckle:

tony hipchest
01-12-2010, 09:54 AM
Tisn't BA hijacking every discussion - it's the e-sheeple with their boxers in a bunch because they didn't get what they thought they were going to get. :crying01: :wink: :chuckle:

ANY POSTS MADE TAKING SHOTS AT THOSE OF US WHO SUPPORTED MR. ARIANS WILL BE DELETED.

now who is really taking shots? :noidea:

i humbly request that you delete your post and then infract yourself for violation of the COC. :wink02::sofunny:

(zulater wasnt using caps but a font size feature provided by the board for the specific reason he described. i have no problem with it and it wasnt incessant.

oh, and when i found this 2nd dim wexell article, i didnt even start a new thread. i did a search and placed it in the topic of the previous jim wexell article and continued the conversation of whether he is a reliable and credible source. i dont think making threats because you happen to agree with mark madden is to fair.)

HometownGal
01-12-2010, 09:56 AM

You and I are worlds apart on how we view BA's accomplishments (or in your case, lack thereof) and no matter how much we argue over this, neither of us is going to change our stances. Doesn't make either of us right or wrong - opinions are like hiney orifices - everyone has one.

I'm not going to get into your "baited terms" comment above, as it contains just a wee bit of hypocrisy. :coffee:

As I said in another post - if you choose to take the word of a talking turkey as gospel, that is your right. If I prefer to hear it directly from the "horse's mouth", that is my right as well. Over the years, both in real time and reading on the net, I've learned not to put stock in rumors or assumptions as they have a 50% chance of being wrong and more often than not - are.

Cheerio, pip pip and all that other stuff. :drink:

revefsreleets
01-12-2010, 10:14 AM
Perhaps that leans to the fact that the moderators themselves are getting tired of you and your act too. Just guessing on my part, but that's where I'd put my money.

This is also getting old.

How many people do you supposedly have on your ignore list? I'm betting if true, you're close to three digits.

Hell, I'm feeling a little left out. I aspire to join the many posters here by getting on that list. Nobody wants to be the odd man out. :chuckle:

What's ironic to me is that you made it your personal crusade to get rid of LITP - which was something I admired at the time and fully supported - yet you're hatred for him now baffles me because you have since become him. A pompous, condescending, arrogant poster that nobody enjoys. A know-it-all that wouldn't listen nor take into account what others brought to the table and in turn bullied, and constantly talked down to people with their responses and overall posts. And a poster that's only constant contribution to the board brought about conflict and annoyance, something that drove away members, which is an area you are beginning to breach.

Please, just stop and take some time to take into account what MANY people have been trying to recently tell you. I've seen you in the past contribute positively and were respected for that. Take a step back and find that guy again.

No.

But thanks for the input...who are you, again?

HometownGal
01-12-2010, 10:17 AM
now who is really taking shots? :noidea:

i humbly request that you delete your post and then infract yourself for violation of the COC. :wink02::sofunny:

Tony, Tony, Tony - do you really want me to answer this? Think long and hard before you reply. :wink: If I infracted every little shot you've taken at members around here over the 3 years I've been a Mod, you would have infracted yourself right back out into cyberspace long, long ago. :wink: :sofunny:

(zulater wasnt using caps but a font size feature provided by the board for the specific reason he described. i have no problem with it and it wasnt incessant.

Large font IS a violation of the board COC and imho, it has become incessant and I sent Zu a rep comment asking him to please stop.

-Giant fonts.

oh, and when i found this 2nd dim wexell article, i didnt even start a new thread. i did a search and placed it in the topic of the previous jim wexell article and continued the conversation of whether he is a reliable and credible source. i dont think making threats because you happen to agree with mark madden is to fair.)

Making threats? You lost me there.

zulater
01-12-2010, 11:44 AM
Well . . . posting in all CAPS is a violation of the board COC.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=354

Come to think of it, all of these redundant BA threads are violations too. :scratchchin:

Don't shoot the messenger. I didn't write 'em (though I agree with these very simple requests) but am asked to enforce 'em.

I didn't realize using the size feature, which in fact says "sizes" up above the post field was considered using caps? I thought"caps" was locking into your caps lock on your keyboard and going to town? :doh:

As I said before my only intention in doing so was to differentiate my comment from the original posters text in the context of a lengthy quote, wherein there might be some confusion as to what was being responded to if the comments were left to the bottom of the quoted post.

If I offended anyone it was done so without malice or intent to belittle.:hatsoff:

I'll figure out a different way to go about it in the future I suppose. Though I really can't see how anyone could take offense to such a thing? :noidea:

HometownGal
01-12-2010, 11:54 AM
I didn't realize using the size feature, which in fact says "sizes" up above the post field was considered using caps? I thought"caps" was locking into your caps lock on your keyboard and going to town? :doh:

Obviously you missed my post above quoting the COC: :doh::doh:

-Giant fonts.

As I said before my only intention in doing so was to differentiate my comment from the original posters text in the context of a lengthy quote, wherein there might be some confusion as to what was being responded to if the comments were left to the bottom of the quoted post.

If I offended anyone it was done so without malice or intent to belittle.:hatsoff:

I'll figure out a different way to go about it in the future I suppose. Though I really can't see how anyone could take offense to such a thing? :noidea:

And as I said before - don't shoot the messenger. I'm only asked to enforce the rules and am doing so.

You could simply bold your comment from the original poster's text or use the cut and paste feature. :drink:

steelax04
01-12-2010, 11:57 AM

I found is that it makes a short post look extreeeemely long and drowns out the quoted material. Posting your thoughts/commentary in a different color font like red has worked well (as Mesa has done on a few of his recent article posts).

Not offensive to me, but makes it a little harder to follow along... at least for me.

Hope that helps! :drink:

zulater
01-12-2010, 12:03 PM
Obviously you missed my post above quoting the COC: :doh::doh:

And as I said before - don't shoot the messenger. I'm only asked to enforce the rules and am doing so.

You could simply bold your comment from the original poster's text or use the cut and paste feature. :drink:

I didn't see what I was doing at the time as either "needless" or "incessant" in the context of how I was using it. :noidea:

Personally I think that those that were offended were mostly those that go out of their way to be offended.

But I will refrain in the future all the same. :hatsoff:

zulater
01-12-2010, 12:05 PM
I found is that it makes a short post look extreeeemely long and drowns out the quoted material. Posting your thoughts/commentary in a different color font like red has worked well (as Mesa has done on a few of his recent article posts).

Not offensive to me, but makes it a little harder to follow along... at least for me.

Hope that helps! :drink:

Thank you. I'll give that a try next time I feel the need of commenting inside the quote field. :thumbsup:

X-Terminator
01-12-2010, 01:13 PM
Thank you. I'll give that a try next time I feel the need of commenting inside the quote field. :thumbsup:

You can also multi-quote different messages (the "MQ" at the bottom right of every post) and respond to them, or do what I do - quote each part of the message individually if you want to reply to certain parts of a post. You can select text and use the quote button at the top of the reply box (the icon to the left of the # sign) to quote it and reply to it. That way, no one would get confused by what part of the post you're referring to.

zulater
01-12-2010, 01:18 PM
You can also multi-quote different messages (the "MQ" at the bottom right of every post) and respond to them, or do what I do - quote each part of the message individually if you want to reply to certain parts of a post. You can select text and use the quote button at the top of the reply box (the icon to the left of the # sign) to quote it and reply to it. That way, no one would get confused by what part of the post you're referring to.

Thanks, I didn't know what that was for. :doh: But I do now. :applaudit: