PDA

View Full Version : Help Please

TDSteeler
01-06-2010, 11:32 AM
I need alittle help and can't figure it out. I saw they released next years schedule and I am aware of how the teams are rotated to create it but there is something that no one seems to talk about.

How do they determine whether we play the interconference or the NFC teams at home or away?

Pittsburgh Steelers
Home: Baltimore, Cincinnati, Cleveland, New England, N.Y. Jets, Atlanta, Carolina, Oakland
Away: Baltimore, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Buffalo, Miami, New Orleans, Tampa Bay, Tennessee

plenewken
01-06-2010, 12:29 PM
Good question.

I'm not sure of the answer but I think since the inter-division and inter-conference games are on a rotating basis, it means that:

1) each team will play each inter-division team once at home and once away every 6 years
2) each team will play each inter-conference team once at home and once away every 8 years.
3) each team will play once against the other teams in its conference that finished in the same place in their own divisions as themselves, not counting the division they were already scheduled to play: one at home, one on the road. For this one, I don't know if there's a rule or not to determine which game will be home and which game will be away.

This is in theory because in practice, the model also takes into consideration the fact that a West Coast team shouldn't travel to the East Coast more than once per season and vice-versa, the fact that there shouldn't be more than x number of consecutive home games or away games, the fact that there should be a certain number of days off between games etc...........

So in a nutshell, there's a rule to determine the opponents and the location of the games but the rule can be amended to take into consideration some potential anomalies. But at the end of the day, the model guarantees than each team will play 8 home games and 8 away games.

That's the way I understand the scheduling model but maybe I missed something.
If it's the case I'd like to know how it works.