PDA

View Full Version : Brady wins comeback player award

msafford
01-06-2010, 11:04 AM
what a shocker. Let the ball-slurping continue

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/news/story?id=4800984

Brady wins comeback player awardComment Email Print Share Associated Press

NEW YORK -- Tom Brady has gone from record-setting MVP to injured superstar to The Associated Press 2009 NFL Comeback Player of the Year.

Brady's strong return from a left knee injury that sidelined him for all but the first quarter of the 2008 opener earned the New England Patriots quarterback the award Wednesday. One of football's biggest stars, Brady has gone from NFL Most Valuable Player in 2007, when he set several passing records, to sidelined to earning his second league award.

Comeback Player of the Year
Voting for The Associated Press comeback player of the year award, as voted on by a nationwide panel of media members:

Player Votes
Tom Brady, QB, New England 19
Carnell Williams, RB, Tampa Bay 14
Vince Young, QB, Tennessee 7
Cedric Benson, RB, Cincinnati 4
Brett Favre, QB, Minnesota 4
Anthony Hargrove, DE, New Orleans 1

He received 19 votes from a nationwide panel of 50 sports writers and broadcasters who cover the NFL, beating Tampa Bay running back Carnell "Cadillac" Williams, who got 14.

A three-time Super Bowl winner and a finalist for AP Player of the Decade, Brady led New England to a 10-6 record and the AFC East title this season. He threw for 4,398 yards and 28 touchdowns.

Most significantly, he got the Patriots back into the playoffs, and he showed more than a few glimpses of the player who guided the Patriots to the first 16-0 regular season in NFL history, throwing a record 50 TDs that year.

"I think missing all of last season was a very challenging experience because I love to play the game," Brady said during the season. "I love to play the sport, and to not have the opportunity to be out there with my teammates in a season where we had some great opportunities to repeat what we had done in the 2007 season ... things happen.

"It's a very physical sport, football is. I had an unfortunate injury, but I think it's really helped me grow in a lot of ways as a person, as a player, as a teammate. It really reinforces how much I enjoy playing the game and how much I love the game. And to have the chance to go out this year and play, it's great."

AFC East blog
ESPN.com's Tim Graham writes about all things AFC East in his division blog.

Blog network: NFL Nation

At times, Brady was great. In a 59-0 rout of Tennessee, matching the biggest victory margin since the 1970 merger, he threw for six touchdowns and 380 yards in the snow. Against Jacksonville in another lopsided victory, he went 23 for 26 for 267 yards and four TDs. His passer ratings were 152.8 against the Titans and 149.0 against the Jaguars, and he had six games with a 100-plus rating.

Other times, he struggled, particularly in losses to the Jets and Saints, and Brady battled an assortment of injuries -- albeit nothing as devastating as the torn-up knee.

Coach Bill Belichick's praise wasn't exactly exuberant, but he certainly appreciates what Brady means to his team.

"He started off in the spring and did everything that everybody else did all the way through: the offseason program, spring workouts, minicamp, training camp, preseason, all of that," Belichick said. "So he's had a solid year."

Williams tore the patellar tendon in his right knee in September 2007 and tore the patellar tendon in his left knee in the 2008 season finale, six games into his return. This season, he rushed for 821 yards and four TDs, adding 29 receptions and three scores.

Brady is the second Patriot to win the award; linebacker Tedy Bruschi shared it with Carolina receiver Steve Smith in 2005. He is the fifth quarterback honored since the award began in 1998, including Chad Pennington, who won in 2006 and 2008.

Also receiving votes were Titans quarterback Vince Young, Vikings quarterback Brett Favre, Bengals running back Cedric Benson and his teammate, quarterback Carson Palmer, and Saints defensive end Anthony Hargrove.

steelax04
01-06-2010, 11:09 AM
Aww, how cute. The media still loves Tom Brady.

tony hipchest
01-06-2010, 11:43 AM
vince young got votes but mendenhall didnt? :huh:

The Patriot
01-06-2010, 11:50 AM
It's basically the "sorry you got injured" award.

I can already tell you that next year's will be Polamalu.

revefsreleets
01-06-2010, 12:04 PM
Cedric Benson deserved this...and it's difficult for me to admit that given my deep hatred of all things Bungles....

43Hitman
01-06-2010, 12:15 PM
Vince Young took a shitty team in the middle of the season and brought them back. He deserved it more in my opinion, but oh well.

kmsteelerwr15
01-06-2010, 12:32 PM
Well if they want to judge this by injury then Cadillac deserved it. His injury was devastating and could have ended his career but he fought his way back and just seems more deserving.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-06-2010, 12:48 PM
How did Favre get votes??? For coming back from retirement ..............again? :doh:

This is basically the same rationale the Brees won it with a couple years ago and I'm OK with it, but thought Benson would be 2nd.

SteelerNation12
01-06-2010, 01:54 PM
Sorry but Carnell Williams deserved it more. Not many players come back from 2 blown out knees. He had a decent year considering how bad the Bucs were too.

steelreserve
01-06-2010, 04:19 PM
Yay, congratulations for coming back and leading your team to exactly the same record they had last season.

Wait, nevermind, they were actually a game worse than last season.

So .. yeah. Congratulations. You're really tearing it up. Want an MVP award to help the boo-boo when we find out your wife was cheating on you?

SMR
01-06-2010, 04:50 PM
Aww, how cute. The media still loves Tom Brady.

Nuthin' new

:puke::puke::puke:

St33lersguy
01-06-2010, 05:02 PM
Are we really surprised?

Steel-Bryan
01-06-2010, 05:27 PM
wheres ricky williams at in this voting ?

Galax Steeler
01-07-2010, 04:15 AM
How did Favre get votes??? For coming back from retirement ..............again? :doh:

I agree I just get so tired of hearing about Farve.:banging:

MasterOfPuppets
01-07-2010, 04:25 AM
i think they made a typo....it should have read " brady wins cumback player of the year" :sofunny:

Galax Steeler
01-07-2010, 04:35 AM
i think they made a typo....it should have read " brady wins cumback player of the year" :sofunny:

That is just plain wrong.:toofunny:

lionslicer
01-07-2010, 05:19 AM
vince young got votes but mendenhall didnt? :huh:

Mendenhall was never here, his first year he got injured , so his comeback was really his first year lol.

Comeback player of the year winners are players who have been here, gave a good performance, either played really bad or got injured the next year or just didn't play, then came back and had a steller year... Like Tommy Maddox?

Crow-Magnon
01-07-2010, 08:38 AM
I'm hoping Jarret Johnson gives Marcia a chance at another Comeback Award next season.

memphissteelergirl
01-07-2010, 10:07 AM
Oh, make me gag, already. :puke:

43Hitman
01-07-2010, 10:29 AM
Mendenhall was never here, his first year he got injured , so his comeback was really his first year lol.

Comeback player of the year winners are players who have been here, gave a good performance, either played really bad or got injured the next year or just didn't play, then came back and had a steller year... Like Tommy Maddox?

Yeah that's why I though Vince Young would be a stronger candidate.

revefsreleets
01-07-2010, 10:45 AM
Cedric Benson provided a running attack for a team that really hasn't had one. He almost single-handedly revived the Bengals offense.

Brady just did what he does. Cadillac had a nice year, and it's a nice story, but his team didn't really benefit...in fact, last time I checked, they were a lot worse off.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-07-2010, 10:56 AM
I agree that Benson is in the conversation, but if you really look at his stats, he only had 30 more rushing yards than Ricky Williams and 150 more than Mendenhall. One could argue that Williams deserved more votes than Benson.

So Tom gets the Drew Brees......welcome back from your season ending injury award. Congrats.

revefsreleets
01-07-2010, 11:13 AM
If this is 100% individual award, then Cadillac should win. If team figures in at all, Benson.

In neither case does Brady deserve this. He didn't play at all last year, and almost every number is DOWN from his last year playing.

The Patriot
01-07-2010, 01:00 PM
If this is 100% individual award, then Cadillac should win. If team figures in at all, Benson.

In neither case does Brady deserve this. He didn't play at all last year, and almost every number is DOWN from his last year playing.

Seriously, what world do you live in?

Of course his numbers are down from 2007. That was the best statistical year for a QB ever.

43Hitman
01-07-2010, 01:37 PM
Seriously, what world do you live in?

Of course his numbers are down from 2007. That was the best statistical year for a QB ever.

How dare you question the guru...:popcorn:

revefsreleets
01-07-2010, 02:16 PM
WTF?

How can he be a "comeback" player if he's statistically just average (and Brady was just back to himself at best)? What are they giving this award away for anyway?

TONS of players get injured, miss time, and come back to being as good as they were prior to the injury. If this was a defensive tackle for the Chiefs, and he had 125 tackles and 10 sacks in 2007, and he was injured for '08 and came back to make 85 tackles and 9 sacks (Which would certainly be a nice year), there'd be no mention of him for this award whatsoever. If Brady deserves this award, they should start giving out 15-20 of them a year, since his comeback is mundane and business-as-usual.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-07-2010, 02:46 PM
How Vince Young didnt win this is baffling to me. He loses his job last year and pretty much had been written off as a bust.

Then he turns around this year and when he gets the chance to start he takes a 0-6 team from the celler to a potential playoff team.

I'm not a huge fan of Young....but how can ANYONE argue that the difference between what was expected of a player due to what happened last last year and what that player accomplished this year...puts Young LIGHT-YEARS ahead of Brady.

Vincent
01-07-2010, 02:56 PM
It's basically the "sorry you got injured" award.

I can already tell you that next year's will be Polamalu.

Troy was cursed.

revefsreleets
01-07-2010, 03:14 PM
How Vince Young didnt win this is baffling to me. He loses his job last year and pretty much had been written off as a bust.

Then he turns around this year and when he gets the chance to start he takes a 0-6 team from the celler to a potential playoff team.

I'm not a huge fan of Young....but how can ANYONE argue that the difference between what was expected of a player due to what happened last last year and what that player accomplished this year...puts Young LIGHT-YEARS ahead of Brady.

Vince Young....there's a strong case to be made for him, too...

SMR
01-07-2010, 03:30 PM

E-X-A-C-T-L-Y. I surely think this shows further proof the the NFL media's bias. Vince Young should have been the one to win the award OUTRIGHT. It's no comparison.

43Hitman
01-07-2010, 04:40 PM

Thank-you very much. I said the same thing on page one of this thread. Just not as eloquent as you. :hatsoff:

The Patriot
01-07-2010, 05:34 PM
Troy was cursed.

That madden cover.

NJarhead
01-07-2010, 05:38 PM
Brady wins comeback player award:jerkit:

Well, Zippidy Effing Doo Dah!

Not sure what the trophy looks like but in his case it should be a bronzed tampon.

The Patriot
01-07-2010, 06:13 PM
:jerkit:

Well, Zippidy Effing Doo Dah!

Not sure what the trophy looks like but in his case it should be a bronzed tampon.
That reminds me.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a190/Brett_Is_A_Dick/brady_band_aid.jpg

:toofunny:

NJarhead
01-07-2010, 06:36 PM
That reminds me.

:rofl:

Wow. Thanks for sharing!

SteelersMongol
01-07-2010, 07:41 PM
That reminds me.

:chuckle: Thanks 4 the laugh. :thumbsup:

beSteelmyheart
01-07-2010, 09:34 PM
Patriot,
I love the picture that you posted but can't help but wonder if it was posted as a diversion tactic to lead us away from the true subject at hand....Mwaaa-haaaa-haaaa!
So by doing that you subconciously agree that Marsha didn't deserve the award..Thus, the picture posted actually depicts your true feelings towards Marsha & solidifies the fact that you are a secret Steelers fan & that Big Ben is the one for you! (in a non gay way?) :chuckle:

NJarhead
01-07-2010, 09:36 PM
Actually, if Brady doesn't deserve it then I'm not sure who does.....although I'll bet the Eagles would have liked to give it to Mike Vick. :rolleyes:

Brady's been handed a few titles I feel are undeserved; perhaps not this one.

MasterOfPuppets
01-07-2010, 11:57 PM
a defensive tackle with a 125 tackles and 10 sacks ???.... :pde: ....

MasterOfPuppets
01-07-2010, 11:59 PM
Oh, make me gag, already. :puke:

:pde: ..... i think i better leave that one alone....:chuckle:

CantStop85
01-08-2010, 01:20 AM
I'm just going to go ahead and say it...

Tom Brady is a system comeback player of the year.

:chuckle:

revefsreleets
01-08-2010, 08:15 AM
a defensive tackle with a 125 tackles and 10 sacks ???.... :pde: ....

Did you SEE Brady's 2007 numbers? I'm trying to keep this apples to apples...

Anyway, whatever minor bit of prestige this award previously held has been stripped and tarnished by giving it to about the 15th most deserving player of it this year. Yet another thing Brady has touched and turned to shit...

Dino 6 Rings
01-08-2010, 12:17 PM
I agree that Benson should have gotten it.

HughC
01-09-2010, 10:25 PM
The award is given for "perseverance in overcoming adversity, in the form of not being in the NFL the previous year, a severe injury, or simply poor performance." So in other words, in the case of Brady, his 2007 numbers are irrelevant; the writers who vote on this are comparing to 2008 and not 2007. In addition there is plenty of history for giving the award to players who were out the previous season with an injury. Chad Pennington won it twice after coming back from injuries, and the very first winner - Frank Gifford - won it after missing the entire previous year after the famous hit put on him by Chuck Bednarik.

I agree that players like Benson who pick themselves off the scrap heap are deserving of more recognition, but unless or until they change the definition of this award, it's tough to argue with this vote.

Glace
01-09-2010, 11:06 PM
If all Brady has to do to draw a flag is point at the refs.....I'm sure he just winked at the appropriate people and won the award.

revefsreleets
01-11-2010, 07:53 AM
He sure looked real "Comebacky" yesterday....

Brady - the cheat = above average QB who chokes under pressure.

AllD
01-11-2010, 03:48 PM
All you have to do is hit or sack him and he folds. With no Welker he has no outlet to dump it off in less than 3 seconds. He is already being described as an underwear model who plays QB. That is worse than being on the cover of Madden or SI.