PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Zeirlein fired, Arians demoted sources say

mesaSteeler
01-06-2010, 05:40 PM
Steelers Zeirlein fired, Arians demoted sources say
January 6, 3:44 PMPittsburgh Sports Examiner
Matt Pawlikowski
http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsburgh-Sports-Examiner~y2010m1d6-Steelers-Zeirlein-fired-Arians-demoted-sources-says

The Steelers are apparently keeping Bruce Arians, but in what role?

PITTSBURGH - While multiple sources have indicated that Bruce Arians has been fired as the Steelers offensive coordinator, the Steelers have yet to confirm this.

One source has told Examiner.com however, he will be retained by the Steelers, but possibly demoted and asked to take over Ken Anderson's slot as quarterbacks coach.

The source has also told Examiner.com that offensive line coach Larry Zierlein has been the first coach to be fired by the team.

On Tuesday, Anderson retired leaving that slot open. Tomlin is an Arians supporter and seems to want him back with the team. The question now, if offered the slot will he take it.

An interesting synopsis of Arians comes from a Cleveland writer who is familiar with him from his days as a Browns offensive coordinator before he was fired there.

He said that said everywhere Arians goes it appears all he is doing is looking to pad his resume by sticking to his ideas and not looking out for the general interest of the team.

Ari ans was fired by Browns coach Butch Davis in 2003 after ironically a three year run. The team dropped to a 5-11 slate a year after appearing in the playoffs the year before. Under Arians that season, the Browns offense, which was supposed to be its strong point, averaged just 15.9 points per game when he abandoned the run game.

He has done the same in Pittsburgh under Tomlin, with the first step to becoming more pass happy. The writing on the wall that he was ridding the Steelers of its traditional playbook came in not re-signing fullback Dan Kreider, who is now enjoying success in Arizona under former Steeler offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhut. Kreider's play as lead blocker is a big reason the Cardinals are back in the playoffs.

Arians offense this season finished behind dismal Tampa Bay in Red Zone offense, and were just 15th last season despite winning the Super Bowl.

While Ben Roethlisberger had a career season passing for more than 4,000 yards and a case can be made that Rashard Mendenhall went over 1,000 yards rushing, the offense was too predictable and the name of the game is putting points on the board, which is something the Steelers did not do.

Shoes
01-06-2010, 05:46 PM
Interesting, I had some feelings that if they kept Arians, he might be demoted....but the PG article said he was staying on as OC. Wonder if Russ G. will come back :chuckle::chuckle:

SteelerEmpire
01-06-2010, 05:50 PM
Thank goodness.... Amen....

LamarrWoodleysFade
01-06-2010, 05:56 PM
*wipes sweat off brow*

fansince'76
01-06-2010, 06:01 PM
Interesting, I had some feelings that if they kept Arians, he might be demoted....but the PG article said he was staying on as OC.

Pawlikowski is a retard. I would take the PG's word for it over this.

He has done the same in Pittsburgh under Tomlin, with the first step to becoming more pass happy. The writing on the wall that he was ridding the Steelers of its traditional playbook came in not re-signing fullback Dan Kreider, who is now enjoying success in Arizona under former Steeler offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhut. Kreider's play as lead blocker is a big reason the Cardinals are back in the playoffs.

Case in point - the Cards are ranked below the Steelers in the run game at 28th in the league.

tony hipchest
01-06-2010, 06:06 PM
Case in point - the Cards are ranked below the Steelers in the run game at 28th in the league.thats a HUGE improvement from where they were last year. :chuckle:

but i called it in the middle of our skid that it seemed arians was just coaching to pad his resume and get ben into the pro bowl. :hunch:

stillers4me
01-06-2010, 06:07 PM
This sure would be a great scenario but I trust the PG over this source. Then again, nothing about any of this has been posted on the team website yet.

Fire Haley
01-06-2010, 06:09 PM
"sources say" = more rumor bullshit

BlastFurnace
01-06-2010, 06:17 PM
I don't believe this story.

Why would Arians stay and take a lesser position. Someone would probably hire him as an OC somewhere else.

tony hipchest
01-06-2010, 06:19 PM

Why would Arians stay and take a lesser position. Someone would probably hire him as an OC somewhere else.

in canada.

(i notice mike martz is still unemployed)

supa_fly_steeler
01-06-2010, 06:27 PM
JaMarcus Russell would plead to have him as a coach in Oakland lol... or Los Angeles

mesaSteeler
01-06-2010, 06:28 PM

Yeah I agree. I'm sure there is a Pop Warner team somewhere that would take him.

7SteelGal43
01-06-2010, 06:29 PM
geeze, someone lemme know when there is a firm decision AND credible source on the Arians fired/retained/demoted situation :chuckle:

MACH1
01-06-2010, 06:32 PM
Not sure if this has been posted anywhere yet. But maybe there (is,was) some truth to the rumor?

Report: Arians leaked word of his coming demise

On Tuesday, Ken Laird of ESPN Radio reported that the Steelers will be firing offensive coordinator Bruce Arians "in the coming days."

But coach Mike Tomlin made no mention of Arians during a season-ending press conference, and Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette said in a Tuesday online chat that he expects Arians to return.

So what gives? Well, Jim Wexell of SteelCityInsider.com reports, via Twitter, that Arians leaked word of impending pink slip to Laird, and that the Steelers aren't happy.

It's not clear whether Arians was simply being premature, or whether he was spreading untruths about himself in the hopes of making his wish come true.

If the latter is the case, why not simply desecrate the uniform of the late Terry Bradshaw or tie those six Lombardis to the bumper of his Buick and take a spin around the Heinz Field parking lots?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/06/report-arians-leaked-word-of-his-coming-demise/

Not trying to make this another bash thread. Maybe he's pissed that(IF) he was demoted?

xbroughneck
01-06-2010, 06:33 PM
geeze, someone lemme know when there is a firm decision AND credible source on the Arians fired/retained/demoted situation :chuckle:

+1

All these rumors are just pissing me off.

I just hope Arians (if he stays) works on situational playcalling in the off season. I don't mind them using his playbook if they call the right plays in the right situations.

SteelC7
01-06-2010, 07:04 PM
if this is true, i would be very happy, arians is a fool, he could screw up a heart attack, and he was able to screw up with an elite QB, great receivers, and a very good tailback. watever happens i just hope he isnt coaching our offense next year. but it would be stupid to switch him to QB coach, he used to be the WR coach til he was promoted to OC, so why would a WR coach be a good QB coach besides that ben and tomlin have a thing for him apparently

tony hipchest
01-06-2010, 07:40 PM
but it would be stupid to switch him to QB coach, he used to be the WR coach til he was promoted to OC, so why would a WR coach be a good QB coach besides that ben and tomlin have a thing for him apparently he was payton mannings QB coach before he was the coordinator with the browns or the steelers wr coach, and according to guru, manning would have turned into ryan leaf without him.

pepsyman1
01-06-2010, 10:47 PM
he was payton mannings QB coach before he was the coordinator with the browns or the steelers wr coach, and according to guru, manning would have turned into ryan leaf without him.

Yeah...I'm so sure Manning would have been totally lost without Arians...

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Vincent
01-06-2010, 10:49 PM
Interesting, I had some feelings that if they kept Arians, he might be demoted....but the PG article said he was staying on as OC. Wonder if Russ G. will come back :chuckle::chuckle:

Russ "report" to Mikey? :toofunny::rofl::sofunny:

Rockonsteel
01-06-2010, 11:03 PM
+1

All these rumors are just pissing me off.

I just hope Arians (if he stays) works on situational playcalling in the off season. I don't mind them using his playbook if they call the right plays in the right situations.

You are aware his offense doesn't employ a FB right? And that's ok with you?Personally, I don't understand why someone as a playcaller would be so narrow-minded as to eliminate a whole entire nother piece for the defense to have account for, be it blocking or catching out the backfield. That to me is crazy.

Rockon

Rockonsteel
01-06-2010, 11:06 PM
he was payton mannings QB coach before he was the coordinator with the browns or the steelers wr coach, and according to guru, manning would have turned into ryan leaf without him.

Exactly, and had he coached Ryan Leaf instead of Peyton, Leaf would be the best QB in the game, and PM would be out the league. :toofunny: :rofl:

Rockon

tony hipchest
01-06-2010, 11:11 PM
You are aware his offense doesn't employ a FB right? And that's ok with you?Personally, I don't understand why someone as a playcaller would be so narrow-minded as to eliminate a whole entire nother piece for the defense to have account for, be it blocking or catching out the backfield. That to me is crazy.

Rockon

he doesnt employ the 4 minute offense either. you would think that ANY offense that uses (or has at its disposal), the no huddle, 2 minute drill, spread formation, empty backfield, pony backfield, 3 te set, would ATLEAST have the 4 minute offense.

the only time we used it was when ben looked to have his arm ripped out of socket and he could barely lift it to finish the game (good thing cause we woulda went 3 and out and given the ball back to the dolphins with plenty of time to score).

hilarious that ben light heartedly joked that when arians called 3 run plays in a row, it was the 1st time he had ever done that in his entire tenure.

HAHA.

haha.

:shake01: