PDA

View Full Version : Open Letter to Bruce Arians

tony hipchest
01-06-2010, 09:20 PM
i thought this was brilliantly written and probably sums up the sentiment of the majority.

http://www.fanfeedr.com/nfl/2010/01/07/open-letter-to-bruce-arians

Dear Bruce:

Congratulations on receiving confirmation that your contract through the 2010 season will be honored. As one in the minority who has defended you throughout Steeler Nation, I believe you deserved that vote of confidence.

In case you haven't noticed, you do not have good chemistry with Steeler Nation. You probably don't care, but I'll tell you why anyway. Simply put, you are not a subscriber to Steeler Football, which has been a badge of honor in the Nation for as long as I can remember, the early '60s. Steeler Football traditionally has been John Henry Johnson breaking someone's jaw with a run or a block; Chuck Noll insisting that we "impose our will" on anyone standing in our way; Merril Hoge pounding his soul on Three Rivers carpet; guys like Barry Foster, Bam Morris and the marquis poster boy of Steeler Football, Jerome Bettis. People in Pittsburgh who work hard and eat lunch from a pail, people who would trade a $100 bottle of Dom Perignon straight up for a six-pack of Iron City, people who cannot help to fall in love with a guy named "the Bus," just have a hard time relating to your wide-open, often lunatic style. You are a wine cooler in a case of Rolling Rock.

But that's OK. In fact, in some ways, it is we who are a bit behind the times while you are trying to forge to the cutting edge. I just looked up the NFL's team rushing yards for 2009. I noticed that San Diego and Indianapolis, the two teams with the bye in the AFC, are ranked #31 and #32, the absolute bottom of the barrell, in both rushing yards and yards per attempt. That cannot be random coincidence. The NFL is constantly changing and those who don't change with it are left behind.

The bottom line is that every single skill position player in your offense had the best year of his career, and that alone merits you another year as our offensive coordinator. Our quarterback was among the elite in the league with a 100 passer rating and became the first Steeler to ever shatter the 4,000-yard passing mark. Hines was vintage Hines, and Tone not only crossed the 1,000-yard mark for the first time, he tacked on another 250. Heath Miller also had the best year of his career, by far, and how you emerged both Rashard Mendenhall and Mike Wallace has really excited the entire Nation. Yes, you do things that annoy us, and I'll get to those soon, but firing you now would be a classic case of throwing the baby out with the bath water, or throwing Angelina Jolie out of bed for eating crackers.

The truth is, and the Nation may find it hard to swallow, but you were not the reason we didn't make the playoffs this year. The Steelers won the Super Bowl in 2008 with 1,000 fewer yards and 21 fewer points than you racked up in 2009. The reasons we are sitting home right now are because we could not tackle kick returners and our defense made some alarming nosedives in many categories, namely third-down conversions and fourth-quarter collapses, but I digress. That's a subject for another day and a letter to another coach.

Back to eating crackers in bed, I have four requests that I implore you to consider. While you are ahead of the power curve in many ways and truly represent modern NFL football, I humbly submit the following suggestions:

1) On third down or fourth down, with one or two yards to gain, we must run the football. When we bring in that empty set and the defense knows we're passing, four things can happen and three of them are bad. An interception is the worst, a sack is almost as bad, and even an imcompletion means we have to either punt or turn the ball over. Rashard is a big boy. Give him the football. If we can't gain a stinking yard we don't deserve to win, but my guess is we will.

2) Give the defense a break. Slinging it too much, even when it works and especially when it doesn't, keeps putting the defense back on the field. They are a proud but aging unit that needs a 10-minute break now and then. Use some clock. Mix in some screen passes. Mendy might be great with those. Who knows, by the fourth quarter maybe our defense might not be so tired and might not keep collapsing. Tone and Hines and young Wallace won't mind. Ask them if they would rather have another Lombardi or better statistics? They'll give you the right answer.

3) We play in the AFC North. We have no domes. The weather is often bad, the wind is often blowing, precipitation is often falling and the field is often a mess. Take note of that. Design your game plan around an offense that can least be affected by the elements. We have to run the ball when we have to run the ball, if that makes sense. Make sure both your personnel and game plan are prepared to do that.

4) Ben cannot be sacked another 50 times. He is a walking time bomb ready to implode on any play. There are a hundred million reasons why he needs to be protected. Ever notice how Peyton's jersey doesn't need washed after playing in a mud bowl? We need to treat our guy with the same respect. Yes, he needs to make plays, and yes, part of his total effectiveness is improvising and making plays. We need to allow for some of that, but not to the extent we currently allow. You can't give a BB gun to your son and then let him run wild in the back yard without giving him some restrictions. We need organized mayhem, if you'll pardon the oxymoron. There's a fine line between letting Ben be Ben and letting Ben be General Custer. Find it.

If you do these four things correctly, I believe the statistics you post will have greater meaning. Instead of being the seventh ranked offense but 12th in scoring, indicating more yards and fewer points, we might increase our scoring output to match the yardage gained. We might also improve our 21-ranking in red zone touchdown efficiency. We will also help our defense so that together we can all eat.

Again, congratulations on wearing the black and gold another year. I believe you deserve a chance to mesh your offensive prowess with the above governors to form a beautiful balance of creativity and methodical football. I am also looking forward to a fresh offensive line coach who can help you do such. Assuming you are big enough to listen to the above suggestions, you have my loyal support.

Sincerely,

Maryrose

:hatsoff: maryrose

Glace
01-06-2010, 09:28 PM
Wow....Nicely done.

I wish Arians would see this....even though it's all common sense.

Shouldn't really take an OC this long to figure it out though...

And for the love of GOD.....Don't make ANY comparison to Angelina Jolie when talking about BA!!!

devilsdancefloor
01-06-2010, 09:34 PM
:applaudit::applaudit::applaudit::tt04::tt04::tt04 :

great read thanks for posting!

Maryrose whomever you are i think i might have falling in love!:thumbsup::wink02:

tony hipchest
01-06-2010, 09:38 PM
Wow....Nicely done.

I wish Arians would see this....even though it's all common sense.

Shouldn't really take an OC this long to figure it out though...
!

i agree completely. the 4 things listed above really arent too much to ask and certainly will not hurt any offensive output. at worst we would jump to #1 in the league in TOP and probably drastically improve on our scoring. ben would cut down on sacks and incompletions, and the entire receiving units td's and yds would probably increase.

the whole "go against commons sense because the opponents may figure me out" approach is completely chickenshit and the antithesis of "steelers football" "imposing our will" and "winning by attrition".

it should not have even come to this in the first place.

but i really hope those who are disappointed that arians is staying (allegedly) can take the bashing to the other thread, cause this really is a nice piece that i feel deserves to stand on its own w/o being merged/locked/or turned into a flame war.

43Hitman
01-06-2010, 09:48 PM
Very cool. Nice find Tony. :drink: :hatsoff:

BigBen'sSwagger
01-06-2010, 09:59 PM
Great read Tony but he's to bull headed and arrogant to listen but still a great thought.

Gnutella
01-06-2010, 10:47 PM
Does anybody else think that the "Pittsburghers eat lunch from a bucket" cliche is played out?

SteelC7
01-06-2010, 10:49 PM
nice letter, i like it. but the fact that u have to write it means that he has no common sense and therefore should not be our OC any longer. i hope he takes his near-firing to heart and does a better play-calling job, by maybe trying to RUN the ball occasionally...nice post tho, really

MACH1
01-06-2010, 11:43 PM
Great post. Hits the nail on the head.

Shea
01-07-2010, 12:41 AM
Great post. Hits the nail on the head.

I agree.

Maryrose, you're my kind of girl and as my neice would say girl power trumps all. :chuckle:

I need a smiley that shows my adorable neice's cute little fist-bump when it comes to us girls. But we don't have that one here.

But beyond that, I just gotta get her around the fact that penguins don't ice skate, and realize it's just a moniker. She's stuck on this right now. :chuckle:

She's six. Before all is said and done, I'm going to make sure she's a Steelers/Pens fan!

tony hipchest
01-07-2010, 12:53 AM
I agree.

Maryrose, you're my kind of girl and as my neice would say girl power trumps all. :chuckle:

if the letter had been signed marianne, i wouldve sworn it was written by one of our very own. :hatsoff:

i intentionally didnt call out the fact that this letter was written by a female fan because i dont think it matters at all, but it just goes to show, and further prove, that our fans are the most passionate, and knowledgeable, ones out there (man, woman, child, or grandparent).

needless to say, i was impressed with the lady's take. :applaudit:

:drink: heres to '10.

ricardisimo
01-07-2010, 01:09 AM
Does anybody else think that the "Pittsburghers eat lunch from a bucket" cliche is played out?

+1.

zulater
01-07-2010, 01:14 AM
You sure we're allowed to talk about Arians on the board anymore?

I said it before and I'll say it again. Bruce Arians is to OC's what Kordell Stewart was to qb's. The arguments currently being used defending Arians ring eerily similiar to the ones that were used to defend Kordell circa 2000- 02. Yeah you can with with them, but do you really believe there's no one better out there to do the job? Do you really believe you're maximizing your overall talent with them at the helm. To me the answer was the same now as it was then. :shake01:

Monrovia Ca Steeler Fan
01-07-2010, 01:41 AM
This is so spot on. Of course BA should have been retained, and of course the defense was the major issue this year, and of course we should attempt to run the ball better and more often so that Ben isn't pummelled.

Thank god I am not the only sane Steeler fan. I was beginning to wonder given all the vitriole against BA. Thank you Mary.

Rick5895
01-07-2010, 04:23 AM
Great letter, the only thing I would add, is improve our redzone efficiency.

WH
01-07-2010, 04:42 AM

yup. Pittsburgh is anything BUT that now.

HometownGal
01-07-2010, 06:34 AM
i thought this was brilliantly written and probably sums up the sentiment of the majority.

http://www.fanfeedr.com/nfl/2010/01/07/open-letter-to-bruce-arians

:hatsoff: maryrose

:applaudit::thumbsup::applaudit:

Very well written if I may say so myself. :wink: :thumbsup:

steelax04
01-07-2010, 08:37 AM
The Indy and SD stat of being 31/32 in rushing kinda popped this into my head... does anyone think BA was trying too hard to keep up with or be ahead of the curve in the pass-first NFL?

Maybe he took his shot and missed at keeping up with the Indys and SDs of the NFL and had a heart to heart with the FO and Tomlin... and realized that change was coming too fast for the offense.

Just spouting some discussion points......

tony hipchest
01-07-2010, 08:49 AM
The Indy and SD stat of being 31/32 in rushing kinda popped this into my head... does anyone think BA was trying too hard to keep up with or be ahead of the curve in the pass-first NFL?

Maybe he took his shot and missed at keeping up with the Indys and SDs of the NFL and had a heart to heart with the FO and Tomlin... and realized that change was coming too fast for the offense.

Just spouting some discussion points......

i hope that doesnt mean next year we will run even less. :doh:

i think in the chargers case they run less out of necessity, and they kinda find themselves in the same situation we were in last year (great qb, excellent wr's, but an old rb and a 3rd down back who cant take the banging).

i think the colts simply pass more out of will since they have the best qb in the league.

stillers4me
01-07-2010, 08:54 AM
Great letter, Maryrose. You da'girl.

X-Terminator
01-07-2010, 10:02 AM
Excellent letter and sums up my feelings about BA in a nutshell. The only thing I disagree with is the notion that the D was tired in the 4th quarter because of being on the field too long - being 4th the NFL in TOP kind of disputes that. If someone can give me a breakdown of 2nd half TOP and show me that they were on the field a lot in the 2nd half, then I MIGHT be inclined to change my tune.

Dino 6 Rings
01-07-2010, 11:52 AM
Excellent letter and sums up my feelings about BA in a nutshell. The only thing I disagree with is the notion that the D was tired in the 4th quarter because of being on the field too long - being 4th the NFL in TOP kind of disputes that. If someone can give me a breakdown of 2nd half TOP and show me that they were on the field a lot in the 2nd half, then I MIGHT be inclined to change my tune.

that'll take some work, but maybe I can dig that up for you...the 2nd half TOP numbers...might just do it for the 7 losses...give me some time.

Oh, and its a very well written letter, hits the nail on the head, or kicks the donkey in the balls...whichever colorful medaphor you prefer

Dino 6 Rings
01-07-2010, 12:18 PM
vs Chicago
Game TOP = 30:26
2nd Half TOP = 13:24

vs Cincy (game 1)
Game TOP = 34:42
2nd Half TOP = 16:15

vs Cincy (game 2)
Game TOP = 30:52
2nd Half TOP = 13:19

vs Chiefs
Game TOP = 44:07
2nd Half TOP = 18:20

vs Baltimore
Game TOP = 35:56
2nd Half TOP = 12:52

vs Oakland
Game TOP = 27:11
2nd Half TOP = 14:24

vs Cleveland
Game TOP = 30:45
2nd Half TOP = 17:08

SteelerEmpire
01-07-2010, 12:26 PM

That's what are father's did... we just run down to Mickey D's or Taco Bell now.... and let me throw Chick-fil-a in there also....

X-Terminator
01-07-2010, 12:34 PM
vs Chicago
Game TOP = 30:26
2nd Half TOP = 13:24

vs Cincy (game 1)
Game TOP = 34:42
2nd Half TOP = 16:15

vs Cincy (game 2)
Game TOP = 30:52
2nd Half TOP = 13:19

vs Chiefs
Game TOP = 44:07
2nd Half TOP = 18:20

vs Baltimore
Game TOP = 35:56
2nd Half TOP = 12:52

vs Oakland
Game TOP = 27:11
2nd Half TOP = 14:24

vs Cleveland
Game TOP = 30:45
2nd Half TOP = 17:08

Thanks Dino. It looks as if they won the TOP battle in the first Cincy game, the Chiefs game and the Cleveland game...lost the battle against the Bears, Ravens, Rats and the 2nd Cincy game. They didn't win it by much against the Bungles and Chiefs, but it looks like they dominated play in the 2nd Cleveland game and still could not score a TD. In all of the times they lost the battle, it was significant except for the Oakland game. So OK, I'm willing to concede then that the O could have helped a bit by staying on the field longer in the 2nd half. It still in no way absolves the defense of their 2nd half and 4th quarter woes, and they should still get their share of criticism for it.

T.Richardson
01-07-2010, 12:51 PM
Great points.

But for me, I want Arians to call plays that he feels neccessary, and not what the fans think he should do. Im tired of this "run it moar!" crap because, if Mendy is carries the ball 15 times for a 2 YPC average, then they should stop trying to force the run, and pass a bit more, and then try to run the ball again. I hate the.. run, run, pass, punt playcall, I saw it way to many times during Cowhers tenure.

43Hitman
01-07-2010, 01:32 PM
Yeah I know. That 110-1 record when having a lead at half sure did suck.

fansince'76
01-07-2010, 01:39 PM
Yeah I know. That 110-1 record when having a lead at half sure did suck.

No, but the 4 AFCCG losses at home thanks largely to a stubborn adherence to a 3-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust philosophy sure did.

43Hitman
01-07-2010, 01:41 PM
No, but the 4 AFCCG losses at home thanks largely to a stubborn adherence to a 3 yards and a cloud of dust philosophy sure did.

Good point, I can't argue against that.

xbroughneck
01-07-2010, 02:30 PM
No, but the 4 AFCCG losses at home thanks largely to a stubborn adherence to a 3-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust philosophy sure did.

Anyone have the QB rankings in those games?

Look people, if you have an average or bad QB you ain't winning shit regardless of what offense you run (except the Ravens).

So blaming the 3 yards and a cloud of dust philosophy seems short sighted to me.

Kordell Stewart..

T.Richardson
01-07-2010, 03:38 PM
Anyone have the QB rankings in those games?

Look people, if you have an average or bad QB you ain't winning shit regardless of what offense you run (except the Ravens).

So blaming the 3 yards and a cloud of dust philosophy seems short sighted to me.

Kordell Stewart..

Smashmouth offense doesnt really include a QB at all, they mostly look for big lineman, big bruising RB, and a great defense..but in those 10+ years under Cowher.. it only produced 1 superbowl win..

WH
01-07-2010, 03:42 PM
Smashmouth offense doesnt really include a QB at all, they mostly look for big lineman, big bruising RB, and a great defense..but in those 10+ years under Cowher.. it only produced 1 superbowl win..
A Majority of those deep playoff losses came from the QB.

Steely McSmash
01-07-2010, 04:01 PM
i hope that doesnt mean next year we will run even less. :doh:

i think in the chargers case they run less out of necessity, and they kinda find themselves in the same situation we were in last year (great qb, excellent wr's, but an old rb and a 3rd down back who cant take the banging).

i think the colts simply pass more out of will since they have the best qb in the league.

The Chargers OL was also a mess this year. Hit by some nasty injuries.

T.Richardson
01-07-2010, 04:04 PM
A Majority of those deep playoff losses came from the QB.

yea... thats true.

BigBen'sSwagger
01-07-2010, 04:39 PM
Great points.

But for me, I want Arians to call plays that he feels neccessary, and not what the fans think he should do. Im tired of this "run it moar!" crap because, if Mendy is carries the ball 15 times for a 2 YPC average, then they should stop trying to force the run, and pass a bit more, and then try to run the ball again. I hate the.. run, run, pass, punt playcall, I saw it way to many times during Cowhers tenure.

I hate the run up the gut, run up the gut pass punt plays as well, but what about those times when Mendy is averaging 5 yards a carry and we let him carry it just past the 50 then it's the empty set sacks and a punt??? If it's working stick with it.

While we're at it how bout those dump off passes on 3rd and long that gain next to nothin'???

It is not pass over run or run over pass it's about calling a game with a balance and knowing when to mix in one or the other. It's about making calls that make sense when you have 3rd and one against the worst run d then you should attempt a run not go empty set. It's about making 1/2 time adjustments when needed. It's about playing to a players strengths. If the run is working make them stop it. If it aint and the pass is then pass it. Sometimes a good mix is just fine but know when and where to do what you need to do. Good sound judgment would be a huge improvement. I give a rats butt about stats.

Psyychoward86
01-07-2010, 05:09 PM
Haha, i really enjoyed reading #4

Dino 6 Rings
01-08-2010, 11:44 AM
I'm a little tired of people saying that the "haters" want run run pass.

How about Run Pass Run, or Pass Run Run, or Run Pass Pass, or Pass Pass Run....instead of Pass Pass Pass Pass Pass Run Pass Pass Run Pass Pass Pass Pass Run...

That's all most of us who are considered "haters" really want.

Run Run Pass is not the Objective, Mixing it up a little more, and giving the ball to the RBs in 2nd and 3rd and short isn't such a bad thing.

markymarc
01-08-2010, 04:30 PM
Can we please add FB to that want list :tt02:

tony hipchest
01-08-2010, 08:32 PM
Smashmouth offense doesnt really include a QB at all, they mostly look for big lineman, big bruising RB, and a great defense..but in those 10+ years under Cowher.. it only produced 1 superbowl win.."only" produced 1? you know how many fans would KILL for 6 champ games, 2 sb appearances, and a sb win in the past 20 years?

this almost sounds like a spoiled fan comment the "non-braintrust" is always talking about.

-91- giants beat bills w/ oj anderson
-anyone even remember mark rypien?
-cowboys win 3 with emmit smith (aikman was never a 4000+ yd passer. does he even have a 300 yd passing game?)
-elway wins 2 thanks to t. davis. never won it with his arm alone.
-ravens win with power run and defense.
-patriots beat greatest show on turf w/ a. smith and defense
-tampa bay wins with m. alstott/warric dunn and defense
-steelers win with defense, willie parker, the bus, and the minute offense to seal the deal.
-colts win primarily running, and a few defensive breaks.
-giants win with defense plus jacobs plus some thunder and lightning.

during the same time period, s. young, b. favre, k. warner, t. brady, and ben r. won sb's on the strength of their arm plus a rock solid defense (all likely HOFers with young, elway, and aikman).

looks like running and defense is the way to go. only ben and tom have been able to win it both ways (riding the defense and run game, or slinging the ball all over the field).

the 20 year trend doesnt lie.

bruce needs to find the type of balance that benefited aikman, brady, ben, and elway, and helped their teams be multiple sb winners. to this point tomlin only has one as a steeler.

arians and tomlin have won 2 both ways. they need to remember the way that wins the most, which is being able to impose youre will whether it be run or pass. we didnt impose our will with the pass this year, despite the gaudy stats.

Prok
01-08-2010, 08:56 PM
Man i remember reading that great article from my twitter page. Argh just remembered the frustration of knowing we have an idiot OC who NEEDS an article like this to point out his flaws. LOL

43Hitman
01-08-2010, 09:50 PM
"only" produced 1? you know how many fans would KILL for 6 champ games, 2 sb appearances, and a sb win in the past 20 years?

this almost sounds like a spoiled fan comment the "non-braintrust" is always talking about.

-91- giants beat bills w/ oj anderson
-anyone even remember mark rypien?
-cowboys win 3 with emmit smith (aikman was never a 4000+ yd passer. does he even have a 300 yd passing game?)
-elway wins 2 thanks to t. davis. never won it with his arm alone.
-ravens win with power run and defense.
-patriots beat greatest show on turf w/ a. smith and defense
-tampa bay wins with m. alstott/warric dunn and defense
-steelers win with defense, willie parker, the bus, and the minute offense to seal the deal.
-colts win primarily running, and a few defensive breaks.
-giants win with defense plus jacobs plus some thunder and lightning.

during the same time period, s. young, b. favre, k. warner, t. brady, and ben r. won sb's on the strength of their arm plus a rock solid defense (all likely HOFers with young, elway, and aikman).

looks like running and defense is the way to go. only ben and tom have been able to win it both ways (riding the defense and run game, or slinging the ball all over the field).

the 20 year trend doesnt lie.

bruce needs to find the type of balance that benefited aikman, brady, ben, and elway, and helped their teams be multiple sb winners. to this point tomlin only has one as a steeler.

arians and tomlin have won 2 both ways. they need to remember the way that wins the most, which is being able to impose youre will whether it be run or pass. we didnt impose our will with the pass this year, despite the gaudy stats.

Good post, you make some very compelling points. I look forward to seeing the Guru's wah wah and :blah::blah: rebuttal.