PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Radio reporter: Steelers had 'change of heart' on Arians

mesaSteeler
01-07-2010, 05:27 AM
ESPN Radio reporter: Steelers had 'change of heart' on Arians
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1501/2010/january/07/espn-radio-reporter-steelers-had-change-of-heart-on-arians.html
By: Mike Bires
Beaver County Times

Thursday January 7, 2010 12:00 AM

PITTSBURGH — Ken Laird, a reporter for 1250 ESPN Radio, resorted to damage control Wednesday after learning that his report of Bruce Arians’ demise was wrong.

On Tuesday, Laird reported that the Steelers would fire Arians, the offensive coordinator. That report prompted television stations in Pittsburgh to lead their evening newscasts with Arians’ fate.

As it turns out, Arians won’t be fired.

“Well, offensive coordinator Bruce Arians is still around,” Laird said Wednesday night as he opened his daily “Stillers 365” radio show. “As you may know, yesterday I reported what I heard from various sources within the organization that B.A. was going to be let go in the near future.
Advertisement

“(But) head coach Mike Tomlin has decided to retain Arians … this after a long one-on-one meeting today … Why the change of heart? Because I truly believe that is what happened here.”

News of the Steelers retaining Arians first appeared Wednesday afternoon on the National Football Post Web site.

Arians, 57, has been criticized at times by fans and the media the past two years for turning the Steelers’ once run-oriented offense to a pass-first attack. Despite the criticism Arians has received, Tomlin said, “I accept responsibility for everything.”

HometownGal
01-07-2010, 06:35 AM
I call :bs: on this one. Laird obviously doesn't like the taste of crow and he's trying to backpedal. Bet he doesn't get much "insider info" anymore and he shouldn't.

zulater
01-07-2010, 06:55 AM
I'm certain he just didn't make it up. There was obviously some rumblings within the orginization, and ultimately his premature reporting may have been what saved Arians his job in the end? :noidea: The Steelers would have come across as classless if they fired Arians after he had already learned of his demise because of an internal leak that made it all the way to the Pittsbugh airwaves.

Anyway hopefully this will serve as a wake up call to BA, and we'll see a better balance on offense, a return of the fullback, no more Spaeth, a return of the screen pass to the offense, and a qb better able to check down and avoid needless hits and sacks.

Texasteel
01-07-2010, 06:59 AM
What a load of crap. Maybe he should get his stories someplace other than the Hooter restroom, slipping notes under the divider as he sits on the toilet.

WeegiesWarriors
01-07-2010, 07:21 AM
I'm certain he just didn't make it up. There was obviously some rumblings within the orginization, and ultimately his premature reporting may have been what saved Arians his job in the end? :noidea: The Steelers would have come across as classless if they fired Arians after he had already learned of his demise because of an internal leak that made it all the way to the Pittsbugh airwaves.

Anyway hopefully this will serve as a wake up call to BA, and we'll see a better balance on offense, a return of the fullback, no more Spaeth, a return of the screen pass to the offense, and a qb better able to check down and avoid needless hits and sacks.

You won't be getting that. He is what he is.

BlastFurnace
01-07-2010, 07:48 AM

I agree with you. I don't think Laird made it up either. Just like I don't think that Pruisita made up his claim as well.

In either case, I don't mind that Arians is staying. I just hope they tweak the playcalling a bit in the Red Zone.

revefsreleets
01-07-2010, 07:50 AM
Sorry...it was garbage, it is garbage, and it will continue to be garbage.

This was ONE guy...he decided to roll the dice and hang it out there and IF he was right, he'd have scooped everybody. THIS is why PFT is dubious as a source, and THIS is why you cannot pay too much attention to unsubstantiated rumors, especially rumors with no sources coming from very low-level know-nothings in the media.

He took his shot and failed...

Fire Haley
01-07-2010, 07:55 AM
Just more hack reporters with their "insider" scoop stories wanting their name up in lights

Get a real job

zulater
01-07-2010, 07:57 AM
You won't be getting that. He is what he is.

Actually I thought we saw a little more of that the last 3 games of the season. I think a big part of Ben's problems is that Arains is too much of an enabler when tough love is sometimes needed. I think that's why Ben disliked Whisenhunt as much as he did, because Whiz put Ben's growth before his feelings.

I'm hoping enough of a scare was delivered to BA that he'll realize he's not there to be Ben's friend and start demanding more of his qb in regards to film study and overall preparation. I really do think Ben's capable of taking the next step to being a great quarterback. i just don't know ( believe really) if BA's capable of being the one to push him to that level.

That's why I believe the retention of Arians was a mistake that will eventually have to be rectified. But probably not before another season falls short of its potential.

Oh well, people sometimes grow. hope Bruce finds it within himself to be the OC the Steelers need in 2010. :tt:

revefsreleets
01-07-2010, 07:59 AM
Actually I thought we saw a little more of that the last 3 games of the season. I think a big part of Ben's problems is that Arains is too much of an enabler when tough love is sometimes needed. I think that's why Ben disliked Whisenhunt as much as he did, because Whiz put Ben's growth before his feelings.

I'm hoping enough of a scare was delivered to BA that he'll realize he's not there to be Ben's friend and start demanding more of his qb in regards to film study and overall preparation. I really do think Ben's capable of taking the next step to being a great quarterback. i just don't know ( believe really) if BA's capable of being the one to push him to that level.

That's why I believe the retention of Arians was a mistake that will eventually have to be rectified. But probably not before another season falls short of its potential.

Oh well, people sometimes grow. hope Bruce finds it within himself to be the OC the Steelers need in 2010. :tt:

Is this a joke?

Raw Steel
01-07-2010, 08:02 AM

This was ONE guy...he decided to roll the dice and hang it out there and IF he was right, he'd have scooped everybody. THIS is why PFT is dubious as a source, and THIS is why you cannot pay too much attention to unsubstantiated rumors, especially rumors with no sources coming from very low-level know-nothings in the media.

+1..

zulater
01-07-2010, 08:06 AM
Is this a joke?

Nope.

Next question.

:coffee:

revefsreleets
01-07-2010, 08:21 AM
I didn't think it was.

Just checking. Sometimes foolish things are said in a sarcastic or farcical fashion....

atlsteelers
01-07-2010, 08:46 AM
Russ Grimm will be anounced as the next head coach of the pittsburgh steelers....do not believe everything you read or hear

zulater
01-07-2010, 08:52 AM
I didn't think it was.

Just checking. Sometimes foolish things are said in a sarcastic or farcical fashion....

Perhaps your reading comprehension isn't what you believe it to be? If you scroll back and see the highlighted line that I was responding to it should all fall into place.

You can certainly disagree with my pov, but I believe that most bothered that to read it in context, (even many that disagree with it) wouldn't catergorize as it "foolish" But then again most on here aren't self-aggrandizing douchebags.

revefsreleets
01-07-2010, 08:57 AM
Perhaps your reading comprehension isn't what you believe it to be? If you scroll back and see the highlighted line that I was responding to it should all fall into place.

You can certainly disagree with my pov, but I believe that most bothered that to read it in context, (even many that disagree with it) wouldn't catergorize as it "foolish" But then again most on here aren't self-aggrandizing douchebags.

Which , by implication, you are clearly calling ME a self-aggrandizing douchebag. So, now, after a lot of whining and bellyaching, and calling ME out for personal attacks, you resort to....................personal attacks?

Grow up. You were wrong. I pointed it out. Move on.

zulater
01-07-2010, 09:01 AM
Which , by implication, you are clearly calling ME a self-aggrandizing douchebag. So, now, after a lot of whining and bellyaching, and calling ME out for personal attacks, you resort to....................personal attacks?

Grow up. You were wrong. I pointed it out. Move on.

You called me foolish before i called you what I did. And what exactly was I wrong about on this thread?

I offered opinions, feel free to disagree with them. but factually I've said nothing wrong on this thread.

Get over yourself. :coffee:

revefsreleets
01-07-2010, 09:10 AM
This whole post is pretty much nonsense....you were wrong, so you threw some spaghetti against the wall hoping something would stick.

Actually I thought we saw a little more of that the last 3 games of the season. I think a big part of Ben's problems is that Arains is too much of an enabler when tough love is sometimes needed (Where does THIS come from? Garbage). I think that's why Ben disliked Whisenhunt as much as he did, because Whiz put Ben's growth before his feelings. (garbage)

I'm hoping enough of a scare was delivered to BA that he'll realize he's not there to be Ben's friend and start demanding more of his qb in regards to film study and overall preparation.(Garbage) I really do think Ben's capable of taking the next step to being a great quarterback. i just don't know ( believe really) if BA's capable of being the one to push him to that level. (He had the best season of his career...more garbage)

Oh well, people sometimes grow. hope Bruce finds it within himself to be the OC the Steelers need in 2010.

You can't just pull a bunch of shit out of your ass and NOT expect people to question it. I disgree with almost everything you've said here...there's no stats or data or ANYTHING to back it up. It's classic uninformed speculative nonsense...

Steeldude
01-07-2010, 09:11 AM
i see revs is trolling and baiting again, as usual.

i like how revs is allowed to do this, but when someone else does it or gives revs a taste of his own medicine, they get shut down and/or given a warning.

revefsreleets
01-07-2010, 09:13 AM

i like how revs is allowed to do this, but when someone else does it or gives revs a taste of his own medicine, they get shut down and/or given a warning.

Wah.

Fire Haley
01-07-2010, 09:20 AM
Revs cultivates his stalkers like prize heads of cabbage.

revefsreleets
01-07-2010, 09:23 AM
Revs cultivates his stalkers like prize heads of cabbage.

Shhhhh!

43Hitman
01-07-2010, 09:26 AM

It's all he does anymore.

revefsreleets
01-07-2010, 09:33 AM

I employ the same exact tactics the braintrust does....I'm just on the other side, therefore I'm in the wrong, and my methods are "questionable".

Now if I was in the fight AGAINST Arians, I'd be cool-moe-dee with all the board braniacs...

zulater
01-07-2010, 09:49 AM
This whole post is pretty much nonsense....you were wrong, so you threw some spaghetti against the wall hoping something would stick.

Actually I thought we saw a little more of that the last 3 games of the season. I think a big part of Ben's problems is that Arains is too much of an enabler when tough love is sometimes needed (Where does THIS come from? Garbage). I think that's why Ben disliked Whisenhunt as much as he did, because Whiz put Ben's growth before his feelings. (garbage)

I'm hoping enough of a scare was delivered to BA that he'll realize he's not there to be Ben's friend and start demanding more of his qb in regards to film study and overall preparation.(Garbage) I really do think Ben's capable of taking the next step to being a great quarterback. i just don't know ( believe really) if BA's capable of being the one to push him to that level. (He had the best season of his career...more garbage)

Oh well, people sometimes grow. hope Bruce finds it within himself to be the OC the Steelers need in 2010.

You can't just pull a bunch of shit out of your ass and NOT expect people to question it. I disgree with almost everything you've said here...there's no stats or data or ANYTHING to back it up. It's classic uninformed speculative nonsense...

You question it all you want. It doesn't make me wrong. And this isn't the New York Times. i don't need 3 sources top express an opinion.

I don't think Ben will grow to his full capacity as a qb if Arians continues to coach in the manner that he has.

I can leave it at that. Or I can speculate based on various things that have been reported over the past few years by people that cover the Steelers. Of course I know they're not infallible but neither are the Steelers. Maybe one day you'll figure that one out for yourself.

Vincent
01-07-2010, 12:36 PM
This is a fascinating exchange of views.

Ben has all the talent and heart in the world. The Steelers recognized this and made a substantial investment in him and their mutual futures on that basis. They have also invested in management to cultivate that future.

We hear everybody always saying "this is a business". It is in fact a business. The Franchise brings in the talent. They retain "management's" services to return on that investment.

Ben is a "backyard" football player by his own admission. He would reach 4K yds in any circumstance as long as he didn't get himself killed. However, that natural talent, if managed correctly is capable of much greater achievement. And I'm guessing that is why the Rooneys pay BA.

On this basis I agree with Zu on this. Mr Smiley (Whiz) understood the professional relationship and managed it more effectively. Had their relationship grown, I think we'd have seen a much better General in Ben. That sort of development comes from discipline. We see this in marsha, a mere system QB that has been successful because of discipline within that system. Backyard football it ain't.

BA is not a professional manager, and has created a codependent relationship with Ben. If Ben survives the brutality, he may "grow" over time. Big "if". And certainly not within the scope of what the Rooneys pay BA to do - return on the investment they have made on his side of the ball.

Special recognition to MT for allowing this to fester over three years.

Honorary mention to Revs for cultivating superior cabbage. :chuckle:

goagain
01-07-2010, 12:55 PM
This is a fascinating exchange of views.

Ben has all the talent and heart in the world. The Steelers recognized this and made a substantial investment in him and their mutual futures on that basis. They have also invested in management to cultivate that future.

We hear everybody always saying "this is a business". It is in fact a business. The Franchise brings in the talent. They retain "management's" services to return on that investment.

Ben is a "backyard" football player by his own admission. He would reach 4K yds in any circumstance as long as he didn't get himself killed. However, that natural talent, if managed correctly is capable of much greater achievement. And I'm guessing that is why the Rooneys pay BA.

On this basis I agree with Zu on this. Mr Smiley (Whiz) understood the professional relationship and managed it more effectively. Had their relationship grown, I think we'd have seen a much better General in Ben. That sort of development comes from discipline. We see this in marsha, a mere system QB that has been successful because of discipline within that system. Backyard football it ain't.

BA is not a professional manager, and has created a codependent relationship with Ben. If Ben survives the brutality, he may "grow" over time. Big "if". And certainly not within the scope of what the Rooneys pay BA to do - return on the investment they have made on his side of the ball.

Special recognition to MT for allowing this to fester over three years.

Honorary mention to Revs for cultivating superior cabbage. :chuckle:

good!!!:tt03:

pepsyman1
01-07-2010, 01:02 PM
You question it all you want. It doesn't make me wrong. And this isn't the New York Times. i don't need 3 sources top express an opinion.

I don't think Ben will grow to his full capacity as a qb if Arians continues to coach in the manner that he has.

I can leave it at that. Or I can speculate based on various things that have been reported over the past few years by people that cover the Steelers. Of course I know they're not infallible but neither are the Steelers. Maybe one day you'll figure that one out for yourself.

Zulater...I think your comments are dead on. :coffee:

fansince'76
01-07-2010, 01:05 PM

How many more SBs does he have to win before he is considered to be at his "full capacity?" 3? 4? How many more last-minute clutch drives for victories will he need to engineer? What's it going to take? Or is he going to be another Bradshaw and not really get his just due from many fans until after he retires?

WeegiesWarriors
01-07-2010, 01:05 PM
By showing up at the ESPY's last year looking like a streaking Will Ferrell as Frank the Tank in "Old School" was everything you need to know about Ben. Many QB's have won Super Bowls, but not many of them show up the next year so out of shape as he was. He survives on raw talent which evidentally is good enough to win Super Bowls, so I'm happy. I say though that with the way he treats his body, and his lack of study only gives him about a window of 3 years. After that he will find it tougher to wiggle out of trouble and scramble around. He will have wished he would have spent time in studying the game a bit harder when he was younger.

I can only imagine he shows up to the film room with a doughnut and smelling of some cheap chick he bagged the night before. Only to be interrupted every 3 minutes texting back and forth with her.

Nadroj 20
01-07-2010, 01:09 PM
How many more SBs does he have to win before he is considered to be at his "full capacity?" 3? 4? How many more last-minute clutch drives for victories will he need to engineer? What's it going to take? Or is he going to be another Bradshaw and not really get his just due from many fans until after he retires?
According to this post:

By showing up at the ESPY's last year looking like a streaking Will Ferrell as Frank the Tank in "Old School" was everything you need to know about Ben. Many QB's have won Super Bowls, but not many of them show up the next year so out of shape as he was. He survives on raw talent which evidentally is good enough to win Super Bowls, so I'm happy. I say though that with the way he treats his body, and his lack of study only gives him about a window of 3 years. After that he will find it tougher to wiggle out of trouble and scramble around. He will have wished he would have spent time in studying the game a bit harder when he was younger.

I can only imagine he shows up to the film room with a doughnut and smelling of some cheap chick he bagged the night before. Only to be interrupted every 3 minutes texting back and forth with her.

Ben doesnt prepare will enough and having good stats means nothing if he didnt prepare well for them :rolleyes:

X-Terminator
01-07-2010, 01:13 PM

Yeah, those teams have sure made it tougher to wiggle and scramble around, to the tune of 4,000 yards and 28 total TDs.

You also forget that he lost about 25 pounds after his accident in 2006, and subsequently had the worst year of his career. I mean, if we're going to use how "in shape" a man is in determining how well he plays, let's use every instance.

And give me a break...guys who do not study film do not throw for 4000 yards, 26 TD, complete more than 66% of his passes and have a 100.5 QB rating, which was better than both Peyton and Marsha.

I'm starting to agree with FS76...Ben will never get the due he deserves from Steelers fans until after he retired.

fansince'76
01-07-2010, 01:24 PM
And give me a break...guys who do not study film do not throw for 4000 yards, 26 TD, complete more than 66% of his passes and have a 100.5 QB rating, which was better than both Peyton and Marsha.

I'm starting to agree with FS76...Ben will never get the due he deserves from Steelers fans until after he retired.

Either that or until Disney Channel II starts knobslobbing him endlessly like the other two you mentioned, so after he retires it is.

Vincent
01-07-2010, 02:22 PM

Ben gets a hulluva lot more respect than the "Blonde Bomber" got at the same stage of his development. And I don't read anybody here dissing Ben. I wouldn't personally waste my time commenting if I didn't love the kid and want the best for him and our team.

Bradshaw was developing in a system that was developing. But it was a very disciplined system that sat his ass from time to time until he was capable of running the offense. They were a perfect match which manifested in 4 Lombardis in 6 years. Bradshaw was a talented man, but his career QB rating speaks for itself.

Ben's also speaks volumes. He came into a mature system full of veterans. Under the BC administration he was managed. The Steelers (team and management) won SBXL. There were brilliant individual performances along that road, but the team won it.

IMHO, the defense carried the Steelers the first two years of the MT administration, and they continue to do so. Injuries and exhaustion lead to the crash of 07. Injuries and a variety of lapses contributed to the meltdown of 09. Except for flashes of brilliance, the offense was along for the ride. One of the most brilliant flashes ended SBXLIII and that was all Ben.

Development is the key word here. Ben was being developed until the emergence of the MT administration. He had been managed and developed to that point. They gave him the latitude to do what he was capable of within the system. In 07 the "This is Ben's team" stuff started. Rather than continue developing an incredible talent, they gave him the offense and said "Go rock and roll Ben. Can we get you coffee? Donut? Taller receiver?".

Any QB with Ben's talent surrounded by the weapons he has will achieve some success. 4K yds isn't at all surprising. I agree with the goal Ben set for himself - to be the best ever. He has the skills. Rather than develop his skills though, BA and MT seem to be content allowing "Ben" to run its course. And that, I submit, is where you could take any poster off this board and plug them into BA's slot and get similar results.

MaidenIndiana
01-07-2010, 02:34 PM
Would it be better if Ben showed up for film seesion with a chick and smelling like a cheap doughnut?

7SteelGal43
01-07-2010, 02:38 PM

or an O-line better equipped to protect the QB. I've seen Big Bens "check downs" work just fine when the O-line does it's thing. I saw Big Bens "check downs" and ability to scramble and elude the sack orchestrate a drive that won us a freakin Super Bowl. Our O has problems that need to be addressed. Big Ben ain't one of 'em.

"I GOT 99 PROBLEMS, BUT A BEN AIN'T ONE"

Vincent
01-07-2010, 02:51 PM
Would it be better if Ben showed up for film seesion with a chick and smelling like a cheap doughnut?

I love this forum. I really do!

revefsreleets
01-07-2010, 03:10 PM
Ben was completing 70% of his passes for most of the year. He had over a 100 QBR. The Steelers don't throw dinky-dunky 5 yard outs most of the time. Their OL isn't all that great. Big periods of time found the O minus a really effective running game.

But Ben can't read a defense. He's too fat. He's not into the game mentally. BA pampers him and is too much of a friend.

Jesus, this all makes my head hurt....the dude set a Steelers passing record. He was NOT in an ideal situation. And the best some people can do is ask for MORE?

Really?

How can he do more? He threw the ball 506 times this year, but the same people bitch that he throws the ball too much. So he should throw the ball more accurately? He's already one of the most accurate QB's in the game? His development has moved him from a perceived game manager into one of the recognized elite QB's in the league, but the Steelers fans want......more.

Christ...it's enough to make me want to REALLY rip into people....

Vincent
01-07-2010, 03:34 PM
Ben was completing 70% of his passes for most of the year. He had over a 100 QBR. The Steelers don't throw dinky-dunky 5 yard outs most of the time. Their OL isn't all that great. Big periods of time found the O minus a really effective running game.

But Ben can't read a defense. He's too fat. He's not into the game mentally. BA pampers him and is too much of a friend.

Jesus, this all makes my head hurt....the dude set a Steelers passing record. He was NOT in an ideal situation. And the best some people can do is ask for MORE?

Really?

How can he do more? He threw the ball 506 times this year, but the same people bitch that he throws the ball too much. So he should throw the ball more accurately? He's already one of the most accurate QB's in the game? His development has moved him from a perceived game manager into one of the recognized elite QB's in the league, but the Steelers fans want......more.

Christ...it's enough to make me want to REALLY rip into people....

"I walk past Lombardi's everyday, not Rushing Titles" - Brilliant young coach - December 2008

9-7. No play offs. - January 2010

T.Richardson
01-07-2010, 03:52 PM

Mr. Weggies, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this thread is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

T.Richardson
01-07-2010, 03:53 PM
"I walk past Lombardi's everyday, not Rushing Titles" - Brilliant young coach - December 2008

9-7. No play offs. - January 2010

so... what are you trying to say?

SMR
01-07-2010, 04:17 PM
so... what are you trying to say?

I think he means to say that Tomlin had the right thing in mind in 2008 for the team's focus to win it all by being a TEAM, as opposed to allowing Ariens running his 2009 offense and resulting in INDIVIDUAL stats such as Roethlisberger's and we didn't even get to the playoffs. I hope what I said made enough sense, lol. It seems (to me) that the focus may have shifted between 2008 and 2009.

BlastFurnace
01-07-2010, 04:31 PM
Now, Wexell is reporting the same thing on his Twitter page that "Ben saved Arians's job". I find it very hard to believe that three people with good inside sources (Laird, Wexell, and Bouchette a couple weeks ago)..would put their reputations on the line just to get a lead story. They all saw what happened with Pruisita 3 years ago.

If any, or even part of this, is true...we don't have a healthy situation on this team. If a QB can override a Head Coach's decision, why would Tomlin want to stay beyond next year.

Sorry guys, but I don't think everything is rosy with our Pittsburgh Steelers as we may want to believe.

X-Terminator
01-07-2010, 04:34 PM
Ummm HM!

Another log on the growing fire that is the coming Anti-Ben backlash for saving BA's job. I'm sure everyone will think I'm nuts, but when (not IF, but WHEN) this happens, I will definitely get on here and say "I told you so." It's how The Nation operates, and the media will definitely fan the flames.

BlastFurnace
01-07-2010, 04:39 PM
Ummm HM!

Another log on the growing fire that is the coming Anti-Ben backlash for saving BA's job. I'm sure everyone will think I'm nuts, but when (not IF, but WHEN) this happens, I will definitely get on here and say "I told you so." It's how The Nation operates, and the media will definitely fan the flames.

Well...we will see. No-one on this board has any inside sources. It's not without question that the team has problems right now.

SMR
01-07-2010, 04:40 PM
If any, or even part of this, is true...we don't have a healthy situation on this team. If a QB can override a Head Coach's decision, why would Tomlin want to stay beyond next year.

I honestly doubt that Tomlin would be such a pushover to allow Ben to override his decision. Who is to say that Tomlin even made a decision yet. If anything, maybe Tomlin was WILLING to give Ariens one last chance anyway before giving Ben the opportunity to convince him to keep B.A.

BlastFurnace
01-07-2010, 04:43 PM
I honestly doubt that Tomlin would be such a pushover to allow Ben to override his decision. Who is to say that Tomlin even made a decision yet. If anything, maybe Tomlin was WILLING to give Ariens one last chance anyway before giving Ben the opportunity to convince him to keep B.A.

The problem is that there have been 3 people coming forward with information about the situation that none of us want to believe. I don't know what happened, but I have read enough of Wexell's information that leads me to believe that he's onto something here.

SMR
01-07-2010, 04:51 PM
The problem is that there have been 3 people coming forward with information about the situation that none of us want to believe. I don't know what happened, but I have read enough of Wexell's information that leads me to believe that he's onto something here.

I gotcha. I personally do not believe Tomlin is a pushover. If anything, he may have decided to set conditions for B.A. if he was to stay.
:noidea:

stillers4me
01-07-2010, 04:53 PM
And we, really,don't know a damned thing that really goes on.

Fire Haley
01-07-2010, 04:53 PM
Ben wants to pump up his stats for the HOF before he retires to his porn stache livestyle in Reno.

SMR
01-07-2010, 04:55 PM
Ben wants to pump up his stats for the HOF before he retires to his porn stache livestyle in Reno.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I love the Steelers forums!!
:applaudit:

tony hipchest
01-07-2010, 05:02 PM
The problem is that there have been 3 people coming forward with information about the situation that none of us want to believe. I don't know what happened, but I have read enough of Wexell's information that leads me to believe that he's onto something here.wexell speculated that maybe some players wonder why ben is always out golfing with arians as opposed to his teammates.

someone asked jim if this was true-

Yes, Ben's best friend on the team probably Arians. Live in same housing, well, plan not good term, but area. Pals. Yuk.

anyone else know ben and arians were neighbors?

Florida_Steelers_Fan
01-07-2010, 05:04 PM
please tell me that what i'm reading here is a joke...that we actually care who golfs which one another or where the hell people live. only in pittsburgh...

nikstar
01-07-2010, 05:05 PM

Holy chet, me thinks YOU should become our OQ....

I mean we all know what offensive plays should be called, for some reason BA just doesn't want to call them.

Obvious running situation, maybe you pass short, maybe you play action pass long, but you sure as hell don't line up 4 wide unless your absolutely 100% sure the d will burn a timeout and that is your intention.

Bruce Arians may be a satisfactory offensive quardinator with good ideas etc...

but please PLEASE will FO or Mike Tomlin get someone else to call the plays
anyone
even some random guy from these forums:banging:

T.Richardson
01-07-2010, 05:05 PM

im sorry...but that was the most idiotic statement so far.

Fire Haley
01-07-2010, 05:09 PM
Sober people are so boring.

SMR
01-07-2010, 05:15 PM
im sorry...but that was the most idiotic statement so far.

He was just joking. humor is good for such a times as this.
:tt02:

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-07-2010, 05:19 PM
He was just joking. humor is good for such a times as this.
:tt02:

Exactly. How can anybody not like a good porn stache reference??? I was gonna say something involving a Reno casino employee and a grassy knoll............but the conspiracy theorists would take it too literal. :coffee:

ricardisimo
01-07-2010, 05:41 PM

I have to agree with Revs on this one. To me it feels like he was fabricating a scoop.

revefsreleets
01-07-2010, 05:44 PM
That's a sure sign of the apocalypse....someone AGREED with me!

tony hipchest
01-07-2010, 06:31 PM
Exactly. How can anybody not like a good porn stache reference??? :

:sofunny: i know, right? the ol' ken anderson tribute stache. funny thing is when i read the qb coach retired to go persue other career opportunities outside of football my fist thought was "what.... porn???"

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-07-2010, 06:50 PM
:sofunny: i know, right? the ol' ken anderson tribute stache. funny thing is when i read the qb coach retired to go persue other career opportunities outside of football my fist thought was "what.... porn???"

Maybe there is good money in giving "mustache rides"??? :cash

SMR
01-07-2010, 07:11 PM
Maybe there is good money in giving "mustache rides"??? :cash

heh :chuckle:

Steeldude
01-07-2010, 07:25 PM

yep, not much else you can expect from a stalker/troll

HometownGal
01-07-2010, 09:01 PM
Ummm HM!

Drama sells and the media loves to line their own pockets whether a story (and in this case - a false story) bears truth or not. Absolutely pitiful that this man was literally dragged through the mud, but that is what this society has come to. :shake02:

Jmat
01-07-2010, 09:50 PM
Ken Laird is now a member of the Mike Prisuta "I spoke to soon and now I look like an ass" club.

zulater
01-08-2010, 12:04 AM
I gotcha. I personally do not believe Tomlin is a pushover. If anything, he may have decided to set conditions for B.A. if he was to stay.
:noidea:

That's probably where I'd put it too. I think Arains job was hanging by a thread, but whatever happened in their meeting resolved things to Tomlin's satisfaction.

I think we'll be seing more formations with a fullback and less empty back sets on short yardage situations next year. :thumbsup:

zulater
01-08-2010, 12:07 AM
or an O-line better equipped to protect the QB. I've seen Big Bens "check downs" work just fine when the O-line does it's thing. I saw Big Bens "check downs" and ability to scramble and elude the sack orchestrate a drive that won us a freakin Super Bowl. Our O has problems that need to be addressed. Big Ben ain't one of 'em.

"I GOT 99 PROBLEMS, BUT A BEN AIN'T ONE"

Do yourself a favor, as painfull as it is, go watch the last quarter of the Steelers most recent loss to the Bengals and then tell me how Ben always knows when and where to check down.:coffee:

zulater
01-08-2010, 12:17 AM

So you don't think Ben has either the need or the capacity to grow as a qb?

Sorry but I do, on both counts. I love the hell out of Ben's game, he's already surpassed TB as the best qb in Steelers history imo, and I'm 49 and haven't forgotten how great Terry was.

But then I see Ben stumble through the 4th quarter of our most recent Bengals game. Insisting on going deep downfield on every play even though it's only a one score game. Overlooking a wide open Heath Miller who has first down yardage easily attainable to throw to a double covered Mike wallace 30 yard down the field. well i saw that as a problem.

Or how about that last Browns game...? Uh nevermind, he's great, no need to try to get better.

Geez a roll eyes emotcon would be perfect about now. :wink02:

SMR
01-08-2010, 07:37 AM
That's probably where I'd put it too. I think Arains job was hanging by a thread, but whatever happened in their meeting resolved things to Tomlin's satisfaction.

I think we'll be seing more formations with a fullback and less empty back sets on short yardage situations next year. :thumbsup:

I totally agree. Right on brother!
:tt04:

steelax04
01-08-2010, 08:23 AM

I'm with ya on this one... I said in another post, I think BA had too much "fun" calling plays. I feel Tomlin put the hammer down on this one and wants an offense with a true identity... maybe not "Steelers Football" as known in the past, but one with more balance and consistency. And the key being consistency... especially in the Red Zone.

7SteelGal43
01-08-2010, 12:29 PM
Do yourself a favor, as painfull as it is, go watch the last quarter of the Steelers most recent loss to the Bengals and then tell me how Ben always knows when and where to check down.:coffee:

" I GOT 99 PROBLEMS BUT A BEN AIN'T ONE "

and neither are you, zulater :wave:

markymarc
01-08-2010, 04:35 PM
Ken Laird rolled the dice and completely failed on this story. He is going to be eating crow for a long time on this one.

zulater
01-08-2010, 05:40 PM
" I GOT 99 PROBLEMS BUT A BEN AIN'T ONE "

and neither are you, zulater :wave:

Uh... ok? :noidea:

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-08-2010, 06:00 PM
When are you guys going to realize that reporters dont make stuff like this up. They do however fail to confirm reports by sources and that is what Laird looks like a clown for.

Also, didnt some people think this was fishy when the story was broke by ...not Bouchette, Schefter, Lolley, Wexell, Pasquarelli, Lombardi, Clayton.............but a guy from 1250 radio?????

ricardisimo
01-08-2010, 07:23 PM
Now, Wexell is reporting the same thing on his Twitter page that "Ben saved Arians's job". I find it very hard to believe that three people with good inside sources (Laird, Wexell, and Bouchette a couple weeks ago)..would put their reputations on the line just to get a lead story. They all saw what happened with Pruisita 3 years ago.

I have yet to read a single word from Bouchette that doesn't strongly suggest Arians - or at least his Pass-First offense - might be sticking around for many years top come. More than a few of his chats and Q&As have basically reiterated "Get used to it."

To which article are you referring?

SMR
01-08-2010, 07:28 PM
Uh... ok? :noidea:

lol, who knows? hard to figure women out anyway!

:coffee:

Prok
01-08-2010, 07:53 PM

I totally agree with you on alot of points in this thread. But I really think you are setting yourself up for disappointment in thinking Bruce is going to add a FB to his scheme or make wholesale changes. He is who he is IMO. Maybe he changes a bit, but I don't see it happening.

SMR
01-08-2010, 08:10 PM
I totally agree with you on alot of points in this thread. But I really think you are setting yourself up for disappointment in thinking Bruce is going to add a FB to his scheme or make wholesale changes. He is who he is IMO. Maybe he changes a bit, but I don't see it happening.

I have to respectfully disagree with you on the fact that Bruce would be unwilling to add a FB now that he came THIS CLOSE TO BEING FIRED!!! If Bruce really wanted to keep his job and persuade MT to keep him he would more than likely be wiling to do WHATEVER it will take to keep his job!! Otherwise, Bruce can drag his butt outta Steeler Nation!

Prok
01-08-2010, 08:27 PM
I have to respectfully disagree with you on the fact that Bruce would be unwilling to add a FB now that he came THIS CLOSE TO BEING FIRED!!! If Bruce really wanted to keep his job and persuade MT to keep him he would more than likely be wiling to do WHATEVER it will take to keep his job!! Otherwise, Bruce can drag his butt outta Steeler Nation!

I hope you are right. I'm just not gonna get any expectations up for change when the guy hasn't shown the ability to change or adapt his scheme.

SteelersJW
01-08-2010, 08:27 PM
Guys, don't bash Ken Laird. Ken Laird is one of the greatest people on radio in Pittsburgh. He covers the Steelers every day on Stillers 365 and provides us with news on our favorite team that is typically accurate and up to date. The players seem to really respect him, as you always hear his questions getting answered at press conferences held for Steelers personell. This mistake will blow over. Obviously, there were a lot of people who expected Arians to get fired and really believed he was on his way out.

zulater
01-08-2010, 10:46 PM
Guys, don't bash Ken Laird. Ken Laird is one of the greatest people on radio in Pittsburgh. He covers the Steelers every day on Stillers 365 and provides us with news on our favorite team that is typically accurate and up to date. The players seem to really respect him, as you always hear his questions getting answered at press conferences held for Steelers personell. This mistake will blow over. Obviously, there were a lot of people who expected Arians to get fired and really believed he was on his way out.

Possibly including Arians himself. Eventually Laird's source will be revealed. I'll laugh my ass off it if really turns out that it was Bruce himself. :chuckle:

LVSteelersfan
01-09-2010, 12:45 AM
Dream on if you think Arians will change the way he does things. It is all purely speculation that Arians was close to getting fired. I don't believe he was anywhere close to being fired no matter what anyone says. But he WILL NOT go back to a fullback in 3rd and short. Count on it. We will still see the same stupid empty backfield set on third and short even though Ben gets sacked at a tremendous rate in that set. As much as I like Ben, I don't think he is capable of taking advantage of that set and finding a receiver quickly enough to counteract the inevitable overload that turns into a sack more often than not. Even though it is a ridiculous thing to do, Arians will not change. As much as I hate to say it get ready for more of the same next year.

HometownGal
01-09-2010, 04:34 AM

I'm sure he is a good guy, but he really needs to get his facts straight before opening his yap. His credibility took a hit here which really isn't good for someone in his position.

I don't believe for one second that BA was his source. That's a more boneheaded rumor than the first. :chuckle:

SMR
01-09-2010, 07:40 AM
Dream on if you think Arians will change the way he does things. It is all purely speculation that Arians was close to getting fired. I don't believe he was anywhere close to being fired no matter what anyone says. But he WILL NOT go back to a fullback in 3rd and short. Count on it. We will still see the same stupid empty backfield set on third and short even though Ben gets sacked at a tremendous rate in that set. As much as I like Ben, I don't think he is capable of taking advantage of that set and finding a receiver quickly enough to counteract the inevitable overload that turns into a sack more often than not. Even though it is a ridiculous thing to do, Arians will not change. As much as I hate to say it get ready for more of the same next year.

I really don't believe we need to dream on to believe that Arians will change his pig headed ways. Arians himself will need to dream on if he thinks he can remain stubborn and STILL keep his job after next season. Common sense should prevail in this situation. I believe Mike Tomlin is too smart to let this buffoonery continue after next season.

steel striker
01-09-2010, 08:13 AM
Yeah most people around have seem to forgot about how bad the qb position was before Ben got here. I don't think I need to bring up all those bad memories. Plus no one complains when Ben turns a busted play into a 50 or 60 yard td! They only complain when he takes a sack. To me his good is far better than his bad. Sure he throws some picks but, so does every other qb. Ben is a playmaker and, he gives us the best chance of getting the w's every week. Remember this Ben is the best qb we have had since Bradshaw and, some did not even realize how good Bradshaw was. I guess some people are never happy even when they have one of the best qb's in the game today. :noidea:

Stlrs4Life
01-09-2010, 11:12 AM

Exactly, a huge swing and a miss!