PDA

View Full Version : Earl Thomas

Grav
01-07-2010, 07:37 AM
Has he declared? thought he was going back for a year? just that i have seen him still being mentioned in most mocks, even ones that have been updated today. Check out the WalterFootball mock draft page, a very good mock draft site. Has us taking Earl Thomas and its been updated today

http://walterfootball.com/draft2010_1.php

Texasteel
01-07-2010, 07:50 AM
Has he declared? thought he was going back for a year? just that i have seen him still being mentioned in most mocks, even ones that have been updated today. Check out the WalterFootball mock draft page, a very good mock draft site. Has us taking Earl Thomas and its been updated today

http://walterfootball.com/draft2010_1.php

Last I heard he was still going back to school. You may want to keep a close eye on the Texas game though. If they win, he could possible change his mind.

fat4jc
01-07-2010, 09:21 AM
I'd much rather see a CB picked. Someone like Donovan Warren, or Ras-I Dowling.

Or we could trade down and get a NT like Terrence Cody. I just worry that Cody can't control his weight. and we'll have Big Snack 2.0 on our hands.

Texasteel
01-07-2010, 10:32 AM

Or we could trade down and get a NT like Terrence Cody. I just worry that Cody can't control his weight. and we'll have Big Snack 2.0 on our hands.

I really don't see us passing on someone like Thomas for a CB, particularly since we took 2 last year, but you never know. You listed two great prospects but of the two I think I like Dowling better, mainly because I think he plays safety for us. I thought safety was a need last year, and see it as a huge need this year.

This is going to be a fun draft.

polamalu82
01-07-2010, 02:03 PM
If Earl Thomas declares I hope we can get him. I'd love to see him and Troy in our secondary.

supa_fly_steeler
01-07-2010, 02:48 PM
dowling is going back to Virginia for his final year.

Aussie_steeler
01-08-2010, 10:21 PM
DECLARED..................................YES

http://www.latimes.com/sports/nationworld/wire/sns-ap-fbc-t25-texas-thomas,0,1500860.story

supa_fly_steeler
01-08-2010, 10:54 PM
This makes me prematurley jizz that he has come out.... i would maturely jizz if we took him if that makes sense.

43Hitman
01-08-2010, 10:54 PM

Cody showed up as a freshman weighing 425 and has maintained 350-360 since. He's manageable with proper motivation.

MasterOfPuppets
01-08-2010, 11:22 PM
cody jiggles like jello more than any fat player i've ever seen. that 350 - 360 is a soft 350 - 360 ... he needs to hit the iron and turn some of that blubber into muscle and get down to about 340...

43Hitman
01-08-2010, 11:31 PM
cody jiggles like jello more than any fat player i've ever seen. that 350 - 360 is a soft 350 - 360 ... he needs to hit the iron and turn some of that blubber into muscle and get down to about 340...

:iagree:

Steel Glory
01-08-2010, 11:59 PM

Not more than Hampton does. His gut is massive.

Anyways, I'd love to get Thomas. He was all over the field in the Alabama game. And he was pretty much the only guy who could hold onto Mark Ingram on Texas' D. Even if he couldn't get him down he would hold on until another guy got there. I really hope that the Steelers have a shot at him.

taztroy43
01-09-2010, 03:07 AM

I agree w/ u completely....that guy should hit the weight room....He looks like a sperm whale!!! lmao.... He makes Andre Smith from the Bungals look like a STUD!!!!!:rofl:

BehindSteelCurtain
01-09-2010, 03:17 AM
Im almost 100% sure that Thomas said he's going back to school.

BehindSteelCurtain
01-09-2010, 03:19 AM
Im almost 100% sure that Thomas said he's going back to school.

I beg my pardon..... he declared for the draft yesterday.

taztroy43
01-09-2010, 03:25 AM
Cody makes Andre Smith look like a damn STUD!!!....:rofl:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gR0ysfkUxuw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gR0ysfkUxuw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Texasteel
01-09-2010, 04:45 AM
I beg my pardon..... he declared for the draft yesterday.

No, you were right bud. He did say he was going back, but he always left the door cracked a little. I had a feeling he would come out if Texas won there game. I guess he decided to change his mind anyway. Personally I couldn't be happier right now.

supa_fly_steeler
01-09-2010, 05:29 AM
Not more than Hampton does. His gut is massive.

Anyways, I'd love to get Thomas. He was all over the field in the Alabama game. And he was pretty much the only guy who could hold onto Mark Ingram on Texas' D. Even if he couldn't get him down he would hold on until another guy got there. I really hope that the Steelers have a shot at him.

Of course the Steelers have a shot at him, he's scheduled to be a 2nd rouder, a almost garuntee that the Steelers could select him in the first if they wanted to... but then again Al Davis might ruin him and turn him into a bust because he's fast.

*see michael huff and heyward bay for details lol*

Not only would it be a good pick he can go to his college buddy limas sweed and teach him how to catch a ball lol.

If the Steelers select Thomas, it would be great, could very well be a good pick.

MasterOfPuppets
01-09-2010, 05:41 AM
Of course the Steelers have a shot at him, he's scheduled to be a 2nd rouder, a almost garuntee that the Steelers could select him in the first if they wanted to... but then again Al Davis might ruin him and turn him into a bust because he's fast.

*see michael huff and heyward bay for details lol*

Not only would it be a good pick he can go to his college buddy limas sweed and teach him how to catch a ball lol.

If the Steelers select Thomas, it would be great, could very well be a good pick.

thomas will be a top 20 pick for sure. he'll most likely be the 3rd db off the board behind berry and haden. i guarantee he had himself evaluated and was TOLD he would be a first rounder, otherwise he would have returned to texas to try to elevate his stock.

Texasteel
01-09-2010, 05:49 AM
If we did take Thomas. What do you think the chances are that we would still take someone like Barry Church later on?

Galax Steeler
01-09-2010, 06:03 AM
I would not be mad with this pick at all we need someone like him back there with Troy. I would like to see us get a good corner in the second round like Brandon Ghee, CB, Wake Forest. I don't think he would be a long shot for us in the second.

MasterOfPuppets
01-09-2010, 06:22 AM
If we did take Thomas. What do you think the chances are that we would still take someone like Barry Church later on?
well they took to cb's last year so its not a crazy thought..:noidea: i guess it depends on how they feel about mundy.

Grav
01-09-2010, 07:10 AM
Please, Please, Please lets get Thomas

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=72083&draftyear=2012&genpos=SS

Steel Glory
01-09-2010, 10:32 AM
Can 2 college players on the same team have the same number? I was watching the Texas-Alabama game and I just noticed, that while Thomas is #12 so is McCoy. Can colleges do that?

Back on track though, Thomas flew to the ball in that game. The one that comes to memory is when he came all the way from the other side of the field and flew by two linebackers to tackle the running back before he could get more yards. He took a great angle and he covers ground fast. On the few passing plays Alabama had, I saw him trying to bait the QB, but he never really threw it Thomas' direction.

supa_fly_steeler
01-09-2010, 11:21 AM

Could be possible because out of 4 needed, we would only have 3, that's if tyrone is not resigned back.

Can 2 college players on the same team have the same number? I was watching the Texas-Alabama game and I just noticed, that while Thomas is #12 so is McCoy. Can colleges do that?

Back on track though, Thomas flew to the ball in that game. The one that comes to memory is when he came all the way from the other side of the field and flew by two linebackers to tackle the running back before he could get more yards. He took a great angle and he covers ground fast. On the few passing plays Alabama had, I saw him trying to bait the QB, but he never really threw it Thomas' direction.

Since there is so many on a team and only so many numbers, i guess some share

Aussie_steeler
01-09-2010, 05:56 PM

100% IMO.

Tyrone Carter's replacement must and will be found.

I believe the FO must find a 70 - 80% version of Troy Polamalu. A hybrid linebacker / safety who can play up in the box and cover a teams TE. The only players I have seen (on tape) who possess those skills are Rennie Curran (LB Georgia 3rd - 4th rounder), Kam Chancellor ( FS V Tech 3rd rounder) and Taylor Mays (who I would not take in the first). I think these three are players who dont truly project into one set position in the NFL and possess skills that translate to a few positions which in turn creates doubt about how they will perform.

Others who fit this description who I havent seen may be Morgan Burnett and Myron Rolle.

supa_fly_steeler
01-09-2010, 06:04 PM
100% IMO.

Tyrone Carter's replacement must and will be found.

I believe the FO must find a 70 - 80% version of Troy Polamalu. A hybrid linebacker / safety who can play up in the box and cover a teams TE. The only players I have seen (on tape) who possess those skills are Rennie Curran (LB Georgia 3rd - 4th rounder), Kam Chancellor ( FS V Tech 3rd rounder) and Taylor Mays (who I would not take in the first). I think these three are players who dont truly project into one set position in the NFL and possess skills that translate to a few positions which in turn creates doubt about how they will perform.

Others who fit this description who I havent seen may be Morgan Burnett and Myron Rolle.

scrap chancellor and the others, that could be filled by cody grimm

Aussie_steeler
01-09-2010, 06:09 PM
scrap chancellor and the others, that could be filled by cody grimm

From what i read Cody grimm has an NFL brain, instincts and positioning but has Tyrone Carter speed. If he can play at NFL speed I think he will be a good player. He looks to be a very good special teamer early on. He has been on my radar for a long while.

Do you think he is on Pittsburgh West's radar???

Steely McSmash
01-10-2010, 09:15 AM
Over the holidays I was visiting my folks now retired to Williamsburg and the paper there had a pretty good write-upon Cody Grimm. Seems like a decent player. If I recall correctly he has an older brother who was an NFL ST guy.

I think Cody was a LB but is too small to play on Sunday, hence the look at SS. Not sure if he has safety speed to go with safety size though as Aussie says...

St33lersguy
01-10-2010, 09:09 PM
DECLARED..................................YES

http://www.latimes.com/sports/nationworld/wire/sns-ap-fbc-t25-texas-thomas,0,1500860.story

:tt04::tt04::tt04:

YAY!!!

St33lersguy
01-11-2010, 04:03 PM

Earl Thomas is a better player than Donovan Warren. Earl Thomas had an excellent season in a conferernce full of solid passing attacks. I want him

revefsreleets
01-11-2010, 05:21 PM
I'd much rather we address CB to replace Gay, and let the young kids play nickel and dime for another year. We have Troy and we need to at least tag Clark....move up and draft Haden, and pick up Coleman in the 3rd. Let Coleman season behind the vets and Haden can move into the starting line-up as soon as he's ready.

Aussie_steeler
01-11-2010, 10:11 PM
I'd much rather we address CB to replace Gay, and let the young kids play nickel and dime for another year. We have Troy and we need to at least tag Clark....move up and draft Haden, and pick up Coleman in the 3rd. Let Coleman season behind the vets and Haden can move into the starting line-up as soon as he's ready.

http://pit.scout.com/2/936109.html

Not at $6 million thanks. That is way too much for 1 years service. Better off signing him to a 2-3 year contract that allows for him to eventually make the transition to backup FS in a year or two. Does he want to stay on the team or seek his retirement cheque ( this will probably be his last contract)

Haden would look nice in black and gold though. Coleman would look better than Tyrone Carter as a 2010 steeler.

MasterOfPuppets
01-11-2010, 10:19 PM
http://pit.scout.com/2/936109.html

Not at $6 million thanks. That is way too much for 1 years service. Better off signing him to a 2-3 year contract that allows for him to eventually make the transition to backup FS in a year or two. Does he want to stay on the team or seek his retirement cheque ( this will probably be his last contract)

Haden would look nice in black and gold though. Coleman would look better than Tyrone Carter as a 2010 steeler.
actually 6.3 mill.... i'd offer him that for 2 years...:noidea:

Aussie_steeler
01-11-2010, 10:26 PM
actually 6.3 mill.... i'd offer him that for 2 years...:noidea:

Two year deal would work for me. Ryan Mundy has shown nothing, Keenan Lewis looks like he will stay at CB so the cupboard is empty at FS. He must be resigned and then compete with a 1st or 2nd round FS. He would like his chances of getting another year as starter under those circumstances

MasterOfPuppets
01-11-2010, 10:33 PM
Two year deal would work for me. Ryan Mundy has shown nothing, Keenan Lewis looks like he will stay at CB so the cupboard is empty at FS. He must be resigned and then compete with a 1st or 2nd round FS. He would like his chances of getting another year as starter under those circumstances

i'd imagin he's lookin for a 4 year deal. i hope they've paid attention to farrior's decline this year .

Aussie_steeler
01-11-2010, 10:40 PM
i'd imagin he's lookin for a 4 year deal. i hope they've paid attention to farrior's decline this year .

Tell me if I am wrong here, but if a new CBA is not reached then Clark returns to RFA status.

A player of Clarks age, and declining performance will not command a counter offer from another team that will require compensation.

Under this scenario the steelers will have a bit more leverage than usual. They theoretically should be able to get him a little cheaper???

Am I close or totally wrong with this MOP?

revefsreleets
01-12-2010, 09:10 AM
Point is, we need Ryan Clark back in tandem with troy next year. Troy sitting out and not risking injury during the latter part of this season SHOULD pay dividends towards his performance next year. We might even want to check out the FA market for Safety depth. I'm sorry, but Carter needs to NOT be a Steeler next year.

Aussie_steeler
01-12-2010, 04:12 PM
Point is, we need Ryan Clark back in tandem with troy next year. Troy sitting out and not risking injury during the latter part of this season SHOULD pay dividends towards his performance next year. We might even want to check out the FA market for Safety depth. I'm sorry, but Carter needs to NOT be a Steeler next year.

We are all with you on that one, 100%.

I am still struggling to identlfy who the best fit may be. I know most are going to say anybody.

Do we just take a traditional SS or a college guy who has played more of the rover style safety (in the mould Troy plays in the LeBeau defence)

In Troys absence Carter was a liability in pass coverage over the middle,not so much in the running game.

AlleghanyAdams87
01-12-2010, 06:26 PM
Tell me if I am wrong here, but if a new CBA is not reached then Clark returns to RFA status.

A player of Clarks age, and declining performance will not command a counter offer from another team that will require compensation.

Under this scenario the steelers will have a bit more leverage than usual. They theoretically should be able to get him a little cheaper???

Am I close or totally wrong with this MOP?

He is an unrestricted free agent. The change is that a player must have 6 years experience to be unrestricted now instead of 4.

Aussie_steeler
01-12-2010, 06:47 PM
He is an unrestricted free agent. The change is that a player must have 6 years experience to be unrestricted now instead of 4.

Thanks for that info.:drink: I am guessing he gets a reasonable offer to come back as we officially have nothing without him