PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Sign Nine Players to Offseason Roster

Shoes
01-07-2010, 12:59 PM
09_MC501_Redman.jpg
Steelers Sign Nine Players to Offseason Roster
Thursday, January 7, 2010

http://www.steelers.com/article/116780/

PITTSBURGH ― Seven members of the Steelersí 2009 practice squad were among nine players signed today to the teamís offseason roster.

The Steelers announced today that TE Eugene Bright, WR Jason Chery, S Tuff Harris, DT Steve McClendon, RB Isaac Redman, RB Justin Vincent and CB Trae Williams have re-signed with the team after spending part or all of the 2009 season on the clubís practice squad.

The Steelers also re-signed second-year defensive tackle Scott Paxson and first-year kicker Piotr Czech to their offseason roster. Paxson was originally signed by the Steelers as an undrafted rookie free agent in 2006 out of Penn State and spent time on both the teamís active roster and practice squad from 2006-08. Czech was signed by the Steelers last offseason before being released following the 2009 training camp. He spent the 2008 training camp with the Baltimore Ravens.

Shoes
01-07-2010, 01:52 PM
Maybe Redzone and Vincent will be fighting for FWP position.....interesting Czech is back also.

lionslicer
01-07-2010, 02:05 PM
That Redman dude is a pretty good size back, they might try to progress him, maybe take over Moore's or Parker's roster spot.

WH
01-07-2010, 02:13 PM
first-year kicker Piotr Czech to their offseason roster.

writing on the wall?

revefsreleets
01-07-2010, 02:31 PM
With a year to learn and better conditioning, maybe Redman plays a bigger role in the offense next year. That's MUCH more realistic than the expectations that were heaped upon him earlier this year...

Vincent
01-07-2010, 02:32 PM
Maybe Redzone and Vincent will be fighting for FWP position.....interesting Czech is back also.

I'm a little long in the tooth for even an off season roster spot.:old: :chuckle:

I am thrilled to see Czech back. If memory serves, he is able to reach the endzone consistently.

43Hitman
01-07-2010, 02:34 PM
With a year to learn and better conditioning, maybe Redman plays a bigger role in the offense next year. That's MUCH more realistic than the expectations that were heaped upon him earlier this year...

I agree. But no one on this roster has the vision and glide like Redman. In fact I wouldn't be hesitant to compare him to Fred Taylor. :chuckle:

43Hitman
01-07-2010, 02:35 PM
I'm a little long in the tooth for even an off season roster spot.:old: :chuckle:

I am thrilled to see Czech back. If memory serves, he is able to reach the endzone consistently.

Come on man, the team needs your suddenness and vision, even if it is with a walker and bifocals. :wink02:

I also liked Czech last season, he seemed to show some pretty good potential.

stb_steeler
01-07-2010, 02:40 PM

That Czech kid is good, he's kicked 65 yarders steady during practice. Will be a nice addition to kick offs in the endzone if he's used.

Glace
01-07-2010, 02:42 PM
If Parker does indeed depart...I can see Redman making the final roster next year if he has a showing like he did this past year.

Vincent
01-07-2010, 02:47 PM
Come on man, the team needs your suddenness and vision, even if it is with a walker and bifocals. :wink02:

Yer right. I can beat blitzers to death with the walker.

Texasteel
01-07-2010, 03:19 PM
Yer right. I can beat blitzers to death with the walker.

You have a walker? Lucky stiff.

tony hipchest
01-07-2010, 08:26 PM
no panic that aq shipley didnt make it? or did everyone forget we drated t-rex?

supa_fly_steeler
01-07-2010, 08:34 PM
Wheres Johnny Williams he was a beast at Kentucky yet he's on the end of season roster on wikipedia.

tony hipchest
01-07-2010, 09:28 PM
:shout:- PANIC!!!

whatever will become of the mach 5 w/o its driver?

in honor of billybob... Dont abandon the SHIP! :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

:chuckle:

Steely McSmash
01-07-2010, 09:28 PM
no panic that aq shipley didnt make it? or did everyone forget we drated t-rex?

Kid's pretty smart, he might be looking for a team that doesn't have 4 centers on the roster already. (Hartwig, Legursky, Stapler, T-rex) Curious to know if they offered, my guess is that they did.

I think with a year of conditioning and practice, Redman could be even more awesome. I don't see him as a 3rd down back though.

tony hipchest
01-07-2010, 09:45 PM
Kid's pretty smart, he might be looking for a team that doesn't have 4 centers on the roster already. (Hartwig, Legursky, Stapler, T-rex) Curious to know if they offered, my guess is that they did.

this according to wexell-

Shipley wasn't signed to futures roster along w/rest practice squad. May be due to glowing report on Big Legursky I'd just heard.notice this is just an opinion preceded with "may be", although im sure some of the gurus will accuse him of false reporting once again.

MACH1
01-07-2010, 11:22 PM
this according to wexell-

notice this is just an opinion preceded with "may be", although im sure some of the gurus will accuse him of false reporting once again.

If and when it comes from a used car salesman, then you can bank on it.

steelreserve
01-08-2010, 12:37 AM
That Czech kid is good, he's kicked 65 yarders steady during practice. Will be a nice addition to kick offs in the endzone if he's used.

He can kick 65-yarders, but I hear the towel dispensers still give him trouble. He might need another year to work on his technique.

Aussie_steeler
01-08-2010, 03:17 AM
http://www.timesonline.com/bct_news/news_details/article/1373/2010/january/08/shipleys-future-may-not-be-with-steelers.html

On Thursday, the Steelers signed seven of their eight practice squad players to their off-season roster. The only practice squad player not signed was Shipley, a center.

“An offer is on the table, but my agent and I are trying to figure out what’s best for me,” said Shipley.

In other words, Shipley wants to play.

Sounds like he is willing to take his chances with another team. I think he realises he is no chance of making he 53 man roster.

Galax Steeler
01-08-2010, 04:05 AM
It is good to see Redman back hopefully he can run hard like he did in preseason. I think this might be a hint that Parker will not be back with the Steelers.

AllD
01-08-2010, 05:42 AM

I also liked Czech last season, he seemed to show some pretty good potential.

Czech has distance for kickoffs, but his FG accuracy was not good.

FacemeIke
01-08-2010, 08:29 AM
Czech has distance for kickoffs, but his FG accuracy was not good.

If we have Czech kicking FGs all the Reed haters will be sorry that they got what they wished for. They should let Czech do kickoffs though, it would be worth giving up a roster spot to gain 15 yrds every kickoff

Glace
01-08-2010, 08:33 AM
If we have Czech kicking FGs all the Reed haters will be sorry that they got what they wished for. They should let Czech do kickoffs though, it would be worth giving up a roster spot to gain 15 yrds every kickoff

NO....

Sorry....with our draft needs and possible FA pickups, we could have a lot of youth and depth at key positions like the defensive backs, O and D line, etc.

There is NO WAY in HELL we should waste a spot on gameday with 2 pk's.

GoSlash27
01-08-2010, 09:16 AM
I'm glad to see Redzone back in the mix. :thumbsup:

revefsreleets
01-08-2010, 09:22 AM
If and when it comes from a used car salesman, then you can bank on it.

Yay! Double the garbage in one single post! It's like a BOGO special at K-mart on defective batteries...

stb_steeler
01-08-2010, 10:52 AM
U get BOGO's at Kmart?.....wow must be a special one in your area....LoL
Damn u Walmart!!! :doh::kick:

revefsreleets
01-08-2010, 11:00 AM
U get BOGO's at Kmart?.....wow must be a special one in your area....LoL
Damn u Walmart!!! :doh::kick:
Good point....defective batteries from a bankrupt and practically defunct company MAY have more value than these posts....I stand corrected.

markymarc
01-08-2010, 04:25 PM
I can't wait to see how 1 season in this organization can really benefit Isaac Redman. I really think he can make the 53 man roster next season if we don't pick up a RB in the draft or FA. I'd really like to know what the coaches see in Justin Vincent.

I'd also like to see if Trae Williams or Tuff Harris can do anything for this secondary. Maybe Johnny Williams and Jason Chery can help improve our special teams.

supa_fly_steeler
01-08-2010, 04:49 PM
Johnny Williams is a monster with dreads. Team him up with Micah Johnson and we could have a kentucky linebackers group.

Galax Steeler
01-09-2010, 07:21 AM
NO....

Sorry....with our draft needs and possible FA pickups, we could have a lot of youth and depth at key positions like the defensive backs, O and D line, etc.

There is NO WAY in HELL we should waste a spot on gameday with 2 pk's.

Well said Glace, I don't see us giving up a roster spot to a kicker that does nothing but kickoffs. If our special teams could play up to par then we wouldn't be giving up those long kickoff returns.