PDA

View Full Version : Ben is Why Arians Stayed

supa_fly_steeler
01-07-2010, 05:18 PM
Jim Wexell wrote this through twitter. Damn you Ben i really wanted him gone

this article is a good read why Arians was probably kept.

Some random dude on bleacher report

It started Monday on ESPN 1250. The report was that Bruce Arians has been fired—according to the host, Ken Laird.

Laird basically said, on the radio, "This is not something that I am reporting based on any information from a source I don't totally trust. I would not risk my reputation reporting this if I did not believe that it was entirely true." (not an exact quote.)

Laird was SO sure of it, it was like the man had told him himself. Maybe he did.

Jim Wexell of SteelCityInsider.com reports, via Twitter, that Arians leaked word of an impending pink slip to Laird.

So, let me get this straight. Arians thought he was getting fired, and he didn't?

Can someone PLEASE tell me, who is running the show in Pittsburgh?

Save the headaches looking into it. Regardless of any speculation anyone may hear, I am going to tell you right now who is in charge of the Steelers.

Ben Roethlisberger.

Here is why.

Kevin Colbert? Let's be honest, Colbert is the paper pusher. I will give Colbert FULL CREDIT for his drafting ability.

He does a wonderful job at keeping the players the Steelers need to have, and letting go of the ones that are on the down slide of their career, but he is not making the decisions.

Remember when Roethlisberger wanted a tall receiver? Second round of the next draft, Limas Sweed. Coincidence?

Mike Tomlin? Hand picked by Ben Roethlisberger. Don't believe me?

Originally, there is not one person that thought Ken Whisenhunt was not going to be the coach of the Steelers. Why didn't he get the job? Remember, he was at odds with Big Ben, and if Ben didn't want him, he was not going to be there.

Then it was going to Russ Grimm. There were reports that Grimm had already agreed to a contract. Grimm, a run-first offensive lineman, and now offensive line coach, was not going to put the ball in Bens hand and throw as often as we do now.

Oh, but Tomlin had to be interviewed for the Rooney Rule? Wrong. The Steelers had already interviewed Ron Rivera, the defensive coordinator of the Bears.

Ben went to the Rooney family and said that they needed a young coach, one that would transform this Steelers team into a pass-first team. Bring in a defensive coach, and promote his boy to offensive coordinator.

Don't think that is why Arians was kept? I can hear the conversations when Ken Whisenhunt was OC.

"Ben, If I was the offensive coordinator, we would throw the ball on every play."

Still don't believe me? What about this...

Remember the concussion issue? Ben was medically cleared the day before the Ravens game to play. When he complained about the head aches, the doctor WOULD NOT CLEAR HIM TO PLAY!

That means that HE IS NOT PERMITTED TO EVEN DRESS!

Why did Ben dress for the Ravens game? Does Ben tell the Doctors what to do as well?

Ben has built this team to what it is, but you know what, I am 100-percent OK with it.

Here is how it happened. After taking the Steelers to the AFC Championship in his rookie season, Ben promised that he would take the Steelers to, and win, the Super Bowl. He delivered.

The first Super Bowl for the Steelers in ALMOST 30 years. A town like Pittsburgh NEEDED another Super Bowl. Steeler Nation, the most loyal fan base in the world (FOR ANY SPORT) deserved to once again say their team was the best. Ben PROMISED he would do it, AND DID!

The Rooney family knows what they have. They are who they are, and they do what they do. They have never changed it for anyone.

The Steelers are a run-first, smash mouth football team. Always have been.

NOT ANY MORE!!!

Right now, the Pittsburgh Steelers have what they have not had since Terry Bradshaw. A TRUE Franchise QB. One of the best to ever play for the Steelers. Roethlisberger has already set most of the Steelers QB records, and the ones he has not yet, he will.

After winning the Super Bowl, Ben was on Pardon the Interruption. Michael Wilbon asked Ben what his goal was in the NFL. Ben said he wanted to win three more Super Bowls.

He wants to have five—one more than Terry Bradshaw.The only record Steelers fans thought would never be broken, and Ben said he wants it. Are you going to bet against him?

Ben decided that Arians needs to stay, and the Rooney Family listened. Kevin Colbert could not change it. Mike Tomlin could not change it. It is what it is. Ben Roethlisberger is the man in charge of the Steelers, like it or not.

BlastFurnace
01-07-2010, 05:36 PM
Wexell commented on this more on his Twitter page today.

I know no-one likes to believe this, but there may be some underlying problems with the Steelers that doesn't involve on the field issues.

What bothers me even more is if Tomlin was overridden by his QB, why would he want to stay beyond his initial contract.

Something really stinks with this situation.

stillers4me
01-07-2010, 05:45 PM
Since we have no proof about any of this, let's just beat Ben up about it like every other rumor out there about him.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
01-07-2010, 05:50 PM
sorry, but this all "conspiracy theory" stuff that i don't believe for one second. some people seem to want to create things or make them bigger than they really are. arians was retained...end of story. the "why" doesn't really matter...

BlastFurnace
01-07-2010, 05:50 PM
Since we have no proof about any of this, let's just beat Ben up about it like every other rumor out there about him.

If this is true, the organizational issue is bigger than Ben.

I guess we will see how it all pans out.

steelax04
01-07-2010, 05:54 PM
I'm sorry, but I can't follow what is from Wexell, what is from a "random dude on bleacher report" and what is your own commentary, Supa.

Would you be kind enough to organize it so it makes a little more sense?

supa_fly_steeler
01-07-2010, 06:00 PM
I'm sorry, but I can't follow what is from Wexell, what is from a "random dude on bleacher report" and what is your own commentary, Supa.

Would you be kind enough to organize it so it makes a little more sense?

under what a random dude says is the report. i can put it in quote tags and try to find a link....

I don't believe their is a consipracy, maybe ben did want Arians to stay and stay throughout his career similar to Tom Moore and Peyton Manning.

Psyychoward86
01-07-2010, 06:02 PM
HTG: Yes please, yes i beg you, please please PLEASE make another Arians thread. Im begging you

supa_fly_steelers: ok

NJarhead
01-07-2010, 06:03 PM
HTG: Yes please, yes i beg you, please please PLEASE make another Arians thread. Im begging you

:rofl:

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-07-2010, 06:07 PM
Ben doesnt have that much influence. I think they take into account the impact of his learning another system under an new OC and believe they were just a couple wins away from playoffs. Personally, I think they are fine with the fact the Steelers are now the 4th most physical team in the AFCNorth.

nikstar
01-07-2010, 06:30 PM
And look how good the tall receiver thing worked out

Hines Ward- 6 feet (laughable, no offense to MVP Heinz)
Santonio Holmes- 5"11 (really he's SHORTER than ward?)
Mike Wallace- 6 feet (and never gets a ball thrown to his face anyway)

I'm sure the steelers only listien to Ben blahblahblah
Enough with the conspiracy's Bruce Arian's is still around, I'm actually okay with that, just LET BEN CALL THE FREAKIN PLAYS. Front office pays him 10 mil a year not to run the Steeler organization, but to be the best quarterback the Steelers have ever had, up to and including Terry Bradshaw

Disagree with me? He's already got 2 rings, faced multiple lawsuits in his career, took a truck on headfirst with his face, had an appendectomy(sp?) and played a week later, been shadowed by all kinds of issues, fought with teammates and coaches and won their respect by being named captain, and please don't forget the 14-0 run, the unbelievable division record(not so much this year), the perfect pass to win the superbowl, countless game ending rushes for win, and did I mention 2 of the 6 rings ever?

Who was the best player on the Steelers this year? Ben
Who will the Steelers ride to hopefully 7+ Superbowls

the 10 million dollar man

revefsreleets
01-07-2010, 07:03 PM
If this was Lebron and the Cavs (Roster: 12), I'd buy it.

This isn't that. The guy got caught and Wexell rode his tails. They were both caught and are DESPERATELY trying to regain cred. Even Dan Rather got caught in this type of trap. Wexell is no Dan Rather.

tony hipchest
01-07-2010, 07:22 PM
The guy got caught and Wexell rode his tails.

:toofunny: EPIC FAIL!

this is one of the most ignorant and patently false posts i have ever read here. wexell is the first one to report 2 FO sources who said arians WAS NOT fired.

BA sought confirmation Tue. from Tomlin, who wouldn't talk then. Without confirmation, BA assumed he was done & told people that; it leaked.

Agreed, the reporter jumped gun, but it almost became self-fulfilling prophesy with anger it caused.

people need to actually read something before they go spouting off at the mouth and pretending they know. :doh:

supa_fly_steeler
01-07-2010, 07:32 PM

why don't you read it, the writer rants about how Ben has told what he wants not just Arians.

Steelers>NFL
01-08-2010, 09:42 AM
If this is true, then Ben has his mouth on BA's gonad. Or vice versa.
Now they are best friends! Sick!
Report: Roethlisberger saved Arians
Posted by Mike Florio on January 7, 2010 4:21 PM ET
On Tuesday, Ken Laird of ESPN Radio in Pittsburgh reported that the Steelers would be firing offensive coordinator Bruce Arians "in the near future." As it turns out, Arians will be retained.

So what happened?

"My sources were from within the organization and very solid," Laird told us via e-mail last night, "and they were convinced that Arians was going to be let go later in the week. There is clearly a differnce of opinion in the organization about the Arians offense, and it appears there was a change of heart in the 24 hours after the report."

As Jim Wexell of SteelCityInsider.com explains it, there was a change of heart.

And it was prompted by quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

Per Wexell's Twitter page, Big Ben threw a "Hail Mary" pass to save Arians' job. But Wexell suggests that Arians wasn't in danger of being fired until Arians leaked that he was going to be fired. Wexell says that Arians was under the impression he was being let go, that he sought confirmation from coach Mike Tomlin, that Tomlin brushed him off, and that Arians then assumed he was out.

The move makes sense, given that Wexell also points out that Arians is Roethlisberger's best friend in the organization, and that they golf together. But we agree with Wexell on the import of the move -- if Roethlisberger is able to save the job of a guy who predated Tomlin's arrival at a time when two assistant coaches hired by Tomlin are being fired, the player has too much power.

steelax04
01-08-2010, 09:59 AM
But Wexell suggests that Arians wasn't in danger of being fired until Arians leaked that he was going to be fired.

So Wexell is suggesting that the Steelers didn't want to fire Arians... then Arians "leaked" that he was going to be fired and then at that point the Steelers decided his job was in jeopardy and needed Ben's "hail mary" to save his job?

IMHO, if an organization was going to fire someone because they "leaked" their expectation of being fired, then they have some other issues to figure out before worrying about Ben's "hail mary."

RoethlisBURGHer
01-08-2010, 10:12 AM
Ben was criticizing Arians play calling just the other week. To be honest, I think that Ben didn't really care one way or another if Arians was retained or let go. I also highly doubt that Ben has that kind of pull to where his opinion makes the difference in what assistant coaches stay and go on the offensive side of the ball. Ben might be asked for who he prefers, but ultimately it's Tomlin's call and if Ben Roethlisberger doesn't like it he can gi pound salt.

revefsreleets
01-08-2010, 10:19 AM
So Wexell is suggesting that the Steelers didn't want to fire Arians... then Arians "leaked" that he was going to be fired and then at that point the Steelers decided his job was in jeopardy and needed Ben's "hail mary" to save his job?

IMHO, if an organization was going to fire someone because they "leaked" their expectation of being fired, then they have some other issues to figure out before worrying about Ben's "hail mary."

I think the space aliens are behind all of this, actually....and it probably won't be long until the pissed off Arians detractors pull THAT excuse out of their arsenal...

msafford
01-08-2010, 10:23 AM
sorry, but this all "conspiracy theory" stuff that i don't believe for one second. some people seem to want to create things or make them bigger than they really are. arians was retained...end of story. the "why" doesn't really matter...

Agreed. Rumors are nasty, nasty things. There may some "hint" of truth, but things can get twisted around quite easily.

revefsreleets
01-08-2010, 10:26 AM
Agreed. Rumors are nasty, nasty things. There may some "hint" of truth, but things can get twisted around quite easily.

I knew it was incredibly flimsy when even PFT was covering their asses when they posted it...

Steel_12
01-08-2010, 11:06 AM
:toofunny: EPIC FAIL!

this is one of the most ignorant and patently false posts i have ever read here. wexell is the first one to report 2 FO sources who said arians WAS NOT fired.

people need to actually read something before they go spouting off at the mouth and pretending they know. :doh:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

stb_steeler
01-08-2010, 11:31 AM
If it were true that Ben saved Arians ass, so be it!. Why shouldnt Ben steer the ship, after all he's been here long enough to call some of the shots. Think about this, if we were to get another OC it may take 2-3 years until they clicked together, then what? More whining?More losing seasons?. Dont forget this team lost mostly because they didnt execute their roles. Kind of sounds like a He said She said thing to me!

Dino 6 Rings
01-08-2010, 12:48 PM
Hey if he wants to fight for the guy who's play calling has lead to him being sacked nearly 150 times in 3 years...then I guess he's getting what he wants.

I don't believe for one second that it was "Ben's" call. I think it was an over all, "how much do we really want to shake up things" feeling in the front office. Bringing in a new OC 1 year removed from the Super Bowl would really be risky, especially when the offense can produce yards...just not points in the redzone...sigh...anyway...I'm sure the idea was "we'll shake the tree, drop a few fruits, then see what happens next year" instead of chopping the entire tree down or at least, cutting off all its limbs in one day.

SMR
01-08-2010, 12:53 PM
How many more headaches do we need? Sigh....next season hasn't even started yet!
:rolleyes:

JEFF4i
01-08-2010, 03:42 PM
Does it matter? BA is here for another year, and that's just the truth. BA, you've got my confidence to make the appropriate changes where necessary for this coming year!

St33lersguy
01-08-2010, 04:26 PM
In order for Ben to win 3 superbowls, Peabrains will have to be fired soon. Ben also likes this dolt only because airhead arians allows Ben to throw the ball more than Whizenhunt. Problem is when you are in the redzone and or have a lead in the 2nd half and have a powerful back like Mendenhall you're supposed to RUN THE BALL not throw the ball but RUN THE BALL.

Vincent
01-08-2010, 04:34 PM

What we need is an Arians forum.

Angus Burgher
01-08-2010, 05:15 PM
In order for Ben to win 3 superbowls, Peabrains will have to be fired soon. Ben also likes this dolt only because airhead arians allows Ben to throw the ball more than Whizenhunt. Problem is when you are in the redzone and or have a lead in the 2nd half and have a powerful back like Mendenhall you're supposed to RUN THE BALL not throw the ball but RUN THE BALL.

Might have more to do with the fact that Mendy didn't get into the end zone that often in those situations.

T.Richardson
01-08-2010, 06:55 PM

Whats wrong with that? the organization paid Ben like 90+ million dollars.. you just dont pay the man that much money to hand the ball off...

X-Terminator
01-08-2010, 07:24 PM

Yes. Yes we do. It'll save this forum from being cluttered up with 100 new BA bashing threads every damn day.

Prok
01-08-2010, 08:06 PM

lol

Gotta admit, for better or worse one Bruce Arians has got ALOT of us Steelers fans discussing and debating now. He has to be one of the most controversial figures we've ever had.

St33lersguy
01-08-2010, 09:02 PM
Whats wrong with that? the organization paid Ben like 90+ million dollars.. you just dont pay the man that much money to hand the ball off...

What's wrong it is in the redzone and during goal line situation it helps to have a big power back to break through the tackles and score TDs and when a team has a lead in the 2nd half it is smart to run the ball down their throats, wear down the opponent, and take time off the clock. Plus Mendy managed a thousand yard season on only 13 starts and limited carries,and proved his ability to wear down the opponent against San Diego and Denver

St33lersguy
01-09-2010, 10:51 AM
Then if this is true maybe someone should have our QB/co-GM request to draft Taylor Mays or Terrence Cody

plenewken
01-09-2010, 11:18 AM
Then if this is true maybe someone should have our QB/co-GM request to draft Taylor Mays or Terrence Cody

+1 on Cody.

Hayeksheroes
01-09-2010, 11:53 AM
Did I mention that Big Ben loves me? What job protection. Nothing like a little ass kissing. Try it sometime. It works like a charm.

supa_fly_steeler
01-09-2010, 12:45 PM

why taylor mays when u can get someone cooler in earl thomas :P

stb_steeler
01-09-2010, 02:46 PM
lol

Gotta admit, for better or worse one Bruce Arians has got ALOT of us Steelers fans discussing and debating now. He has to be one of the most controversial figures we've ever had.

I bet his ears are always ringing...:crazy01::dizzy:

acumen
01-09-2010, 02:58 PM
Tripe, trash, garbage...

Speculation backed by nothing but a players apparent loyalty to his coach. What if the shoe was on the other foot, some pundit jumped the gun and reported that Dick was fired (And I know it! Someone who I can't say who it is told me! Super cereal!) and then magically wasn't. Is this guy gonna go back to all the times Troy and Ike called Papa Lebeau 'Dad' and say they run the show?

tony hipchest
01-09-2010, 03:14 PM

Yes. Yes we do. It'll save this forum from being cluttered up with 100 new BA bashing threads every damn day.

you mean like the locker room?

now if we couldnt get an obama or political forum, why would we all of a sudden get a new one for arians? that would be kind of contradictory, wouldnt it?

all the anti-obama threads ran off a whole bunch of democratic steeler supporters, and i think it was seen as a good thing.

perhaps all the anti-arians threads will weed out some arians supporters and it too, be seen as a good thing. :hunch:

cubanstogie
01-09-2010, 03:28 PM
you mean like the locker room?

now if we couldnt get an obama or political forum, why would we all of a sudden get a new one for arians? that would be kind of contradictory, wouldnt it?

all the anti-obama threads ran off a whole bunch of democratic steeler supporters, and i think it was seen as a good thing.

perhaps all the anti-arians threads will weed out some arians supporters and it too, be seen as a good thing. :hunch:

If we could only get rid of the Obama supporters who don't support Arians this board would be close to perfect.

Kanata-Steeler
01-09-2010, 05:13 PM
Or, it goes either way "Ariens is the reason Ben wanted to stay !"

Rockonsteel
01-09-2010, 05:52 PM
Hey if he wants to fight for the guy who's play calling has lead to him being sacked nearly 150 times in 3 years...then I guess he's getting what he wants.

There it is.

Does it matter? BA is here for another year, and that's just the truth. BA, you've got my confidence to make the appropriate changes where necessary for this coming year!

You can't count me as setting up camp all the way down on the opposite end of that spectrum.

Rockon

Rockonsteel
01-09-2010, 05:54 PM
Might have more to do with the fact that Mendy didn't get into the end zone that often in those situations.

That's kinda hard to do in a 5 wide empty backfield set, I'd say damn near impossible[hint:Chiefs game]. And no fullback sure doesn't help matters. I'm not sayin'....I'm just sayin'.

Rockon

HometownGal
01-09-2010, 09:59 PM

Gawd - I enjoy the offseason as much as I enjoy menopause. :horror:

Prok
01-09-2010, 10:04 PM
Hell, at least Arians gives us all something to debate during the off-season. I don't care which side of the argument you are on, it's a worthy discussion IMO.

And with this many Steelers fans anti-Arians I find it strange that you Arians supporters can't understand our concerns. We all have a right to voice our opinions when it concerns our team. We can't always be rose colored glass wearing optimists ALL the time. JMO

X-Terminator
01-09-2010, 10:07 PM
Hell, at least Arians gives us all something to debate during the off-season. I don't care which side of the argument you are on, it's a worthy discussion IMO.

And with this many Steelers fans anti-Arians I find it strange that you Arians supporters can't understand our concerns. We all have a right to voice our opinions when it concerns our team. We can't always be rose colored glass wearing optimists ALL the time. JMO

Damn right we do. So riddle me this, Batman...why can't the Arians bashers understand the points of the Arians supporters? We can't always be eternal pessimists and look for scapegoats ALL the time. JMO.

Prok
01-09-2010, 10:09 PM
Damn right we do. So riddle me this, Batman...why can't the Arians bashers understand the points of the Arians supporters? We can't always be eternal pessimists and look for scapegoats ALL the time. JMO.

Hell it doesn't bother me either way. I could care less what side of the debate anyone is on. I do like reading their opinions on it though, no matter which way they lean.

steelerdude15
01-10-2010, 01:04 AM
I will add this comment, as much as I love Big Ben and Gun N Roses are my favorite band, let's hope that Ben doesn't turn into another Axl Rose:hope:. I have a feeling I'm going to get some word from this. My thing is that the head coach should run the team not the QB. I feel the QB should be very motivational towards the team and lead the offense, but not make decisions that would impact the team down the road. Now I'm not joining any side on this and I love Ben, but all I'm saying is we'll all just have to wait and see...

ricardisimo
01-10-2010, 04:03 AM
Ben was criticizing Arians play calling just the other week. To be honest, I think that Ben didn't really care one way or another if Arians was retained or let go. I also highly doubt that Ben has that kind of pull to where his opinion makes the difference in what assistant coaches stay and go on the offensive side of the ball. Ben might be asked for who he prefers, but ultimately it's Tomlin's call and if Ben Roethlisberger doesn't like it he can gi pound salt.

Ditto. Ben has thrown Bruce (or at least his playcalling) under the bus at least four times this season... that doesn't seem like true love to me. I'm not seeing it. The one thing has has truly struck me this past year is Tomlin's refusal to ever even hint with even a slight twitch in his face that he's been displeased with Arians.

Without knowing anything but the circumstantial evidence, my version of events is like so:

Tomlin admires the Patriots, and wants to emulate them;
Arians promises to do just that, and many of the numbers suggest success... limited, but still...;
The Rooneys have to be at least mildly distraught about grumblings among the Smash-Mouth faithful;
They have to be quite disturbed by paying beau coup bucks for a mediocre run-blocking line that Bruce has turned into a horrible pass-blocking line;
There was some friction, and Zierlein is made the first sacrificial lamb... with some justification, but how Ligashesky was not the first out the door is an absolute head-scratcher;
Some sort of tÍte-a-tÍte takes place with Tomlin and the Rooneys, and Tomlin reassures them that passing offense wins Superbowls today, and that Arians is still their best ticket.

This is, admittedly, idle speculation, with no empirical data to back it up other than random post-game quotes and such. I think it's safe to say that Tomlin dreams of having Tom Brady's offense in Pittsburgh. He has said as much. Given the stats for most of the principles on offense this year, I'm sure Mike thinks Bruce is moving them in the right direction.

The long and the short of it is that, if anyone has a crush on Arians, it's probably Tomlin.

HometownGal
01-10-2010, 08:24 AM

There are plenty of other things to discuss during the offseason, including why our D stunk so badly this season. I think Mike Tomlin addressed the ongoing saga of "but, but but Troy and Aaron" very well during his last press conference. :thumbsup: I don't view this redundant Arians bashing merry-go-round as worthy discussion, as those of us who support BA aren't going to change our stances until those of you who treat BA like he has leprosy can supply some cold, hard facts as to why you all hate this man so much. I haven't come across one single post on this board yet which, imho, justifies the crucifixion of this guy.

And with this many Steelers fans anti-Arians I find it strange that you Arians supporters can't understand our concerns. We all have a right to voice our opinions when it concerns our team. We can't always be rose colored glass wearing optimists ALL the time. JMO[

I can't understand "concerns" that, IMHO, bear no merit. Did it ever occur to you that maybe - just maybe - the Steelers FO and Tomlin agree with OUR opinions as to BA's job performance over the last 3 seasons? There is no doubt in my mind that if the Steelers FO and Tomlin had issues with BA and wanted him gone, he would be. And in case you forget - we Arians supporters also have a right to voice our opinions when it concerns our team - a team this season who had one of the most prolific offenses in decades. :coffee:

tony hipchest
01-10-2010, 01:03 PM
I don't view this redundant Arians bashing merry-go-round as worthy discussion, as those of us who support BA aren't going to change our stances until those of you who treat BA like he has leprosy can supply some cold, hard facts as to why you all hate this man so much. I haven't come across one single post on this board yet which, imho, justifies the crucifixion of this guy.

:wow. theres alot of baited words in that post. nobody wants to see him humg on a cross and do you really think people think he is diseased?

how is this for cold hard facts?-

42 pass/18 rush/6 points in frigid temps and 40 mph wind gusts vs a team that was chewed up with the run by all other teams?

i am 100% behind arians staying if he is willing to pull his head out of his ass and call a sound game according to the situation that presents itself (situational football).

this means taking what the defense gives you not trying to take what you want.

at this point many people doubt he is willing to make these slight changes according to game situations, and i dont blame them. arians track record speaks for itself.

norv turner, or cam cameron, sean payton would absolutely destroy all teams with our offensive weaponry.

that is what steelerfans want and the rooneys deserve (and have paid for)

T.Richardson
01-10-2010, 01:12 PM
wow. theres alot of baited words in that post. nobody wants to see him humg on a cross and do you really think people think he is diseased?

42 pass/18 rush/6 points in frigid temps and 40 mph wind gusts vs a team that was chewed up with the run by all other teams?

i am 100% behind arians staying if he is willing to pull his head out of his ass and call a sound game according to the situation that presents itself (situational football).

at this point many people doubt he is willing to make these slight changes according to game situations, and i dont blame them. arians track record speaks for itself.

norv turner, or cam cameron, sean payton would absolutely destroy all teams with our offensive weaponry.

it would have helped if Mendy was averaging more than 3.3 yds a carry, 53 yds on 16 carries, and a long of 7 yds. Also, the Steelers were down early, and if running the ball when your down only averaging less than 3 yds.. how is that going to help win the game? I didnt agree with the 40 throws... but Arians didnt abandon the runnin game..running the ball didnt contribute to driving down the field.

WH
01-10-2010, 01:59 PM
it would have helped if Mendy was averaging more than 3.3 yds a carry, 53 yds on 16 carries, and a long of 7 yds. Also, the Steelers were down early, and if running the ball when your down only averaging less than 3 yds.. how is that going to help win the game? I didnt agree with the 40 throws... but Arians didnt abandon the runnin game..running the ball didnt contribute to driving down the field.
By making the other team have to think about the possibility of a running play. Thus opening up the passing game if they do, or risking a big run gain if they don't.

Rockonsteel
01-10-2010, 02:23 PM

Are you kidding me? The Steelers had a chance to set the tone early in that game when RM ripped 9 yds on the first two plays of the game. By lining up with an empty backfield, and subsequently getting Ben sacked as a result, BA told the Browns, "we dont think we have the intestinal fortitude to line up and punch you in the mouth for a yard". Well, BA sent the same message to his own team as well. And they played that way the whole game. If the Steelers get that first, first down, or if say RM rips off a big run, who knows how that game turns out. The Browns prolly lay down like old dogs. Instead, that gave them the boost of confidence they needed, and then BA stupidly repeated the same process, the next series, and then the rest of the game. And we all saw how that turned out.

Rockon

Prok
01-10-2010, 02:36 PM
I hope and pray that Ben doesn't end up having to retire early due to all the hits/sacks he's taken. And I also hope and pray that it was all on the OL. But a huge part of me thinks we and more importantly BEN needed someone to help him cut back on the sacks taken. Maybe the new QB coach will help ??

SDemt23
01-10-2010, 11:24 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/323284-explaining-myself-the-arians-roethlisberger-connection#poll

The world of the Pittsburgh Steelers is currently upside down and sideways. Since the end of the season on Sunday, there has been a cleaning house of sorts, with the retirement of QB coach Ken Anderson, and the termination of special teams coach Bob Ligashesky and offensive line coach Larry Zierlein.

What came as the biggest surprise is Bruce Arians still being employed by the Steelers. The reason that this comes as such a shock is, Arians was reported to be on his way out by ESPN Radio in Pittsburgh. It later came out that Arians was the one to leak the news that he was going to be terminated.

Let's take a look at the time line.

Monday

Reports from Ken Laird of ESPN Radio states that he is CERTAIN that Arians was to be let go. Laird said that he would not be reporting this unless he was certain that Arians was going to be fired.

Mike Tomlin, as every coach does after their last game, meets with the Rooneys for his end of season meeting.

Tuesday

Tomlin meets with the team for their end-of-season interview, as he does every year. He meets with the team together, then with each player individually. One of these meetings was with Ben Roethlisberger.

Wednesday

All hell breaks loose when reports of Bruce Arians is not going to be fired. It is reported the Bruce Arians is the man that leaked the information about his termination.

The next question then becomes, why would Bruce Arians leak that he was to be fired? There has to be a reason.

At some point between the end of the Steelers last game Sunday, and Monday, when it was reported that Arians would be fired, something had to be brought to his attention that his career in Pittsburgh would be over.

Monday's conversation with Mike Tomlin and the Rooney family may have had something to do with it. In this conversation, Tomlin discusses why he believes the Steelers did not make the playoffs, and the changes he plans on making to his coaching staff.

Yes, it is HIS coaching staff, but it is also the Rooneys' team. The Rooneys will allow Tomlin to make the decision as to who will be back, and who will be let go.

During this meeting, one of three things happened.

1. Mike Tomlin said to the Rooneys that Arians is HIS guy, and he wants to keep him on the staff, because HE believes that Arinas is good enough to lead the Steelers offense to the Super Bowl.

The reason I do not believe this to be true, is because the only person that I believe could have told Arians he was not going to be back, would be Tomlin.

IF, this is true, and Tomlin decided that Arians was important to the Steelers success, Tomlin's future is going to be based on this decision.

If the Steelers do not make it back to respectability next year, then Tomlin will have to answer why he decided to keep Arians.

2. Tomlin said to the Rooneys that he intended on letting Arians go, and the Rooney family convinced Tomlin that Arians needed to stay.

Why would the Rooney family insist on keeping Arians instead of letting Tomlin let him go? By asking Tomlin to keep Arians, they would not be able to hold Tomlin responsible for failure by the offense next year.

The Rooney family are investing over $100 million in Ben Roethlisberger, and Roethlisberger likes Bruce Arians. If the Rooneys want to keep Ben happy, then keeping Arians is a step towards that.

3. Tomlin decided to let Arians go, the Rooney family agreed with him.

One of these situations happened, but let's look at Tuesday.

Tomlin goes into the team meeting, then does the individual interviews. According to Mike Logan on ESPN Radio, the interviews go basically by the importance of the player. Roethlisberger had to be one of the first interviews. In this conversation, only one thing could have happened.

Ben Roethlisberger said to Mike Tomlin that he wanted Bruce Arians to stay, and be a part of the team. There was no threat, there were no tears. Ben simply said he wanted Arians to stay.

NOW, at some point, between these interviews, Mike Tomlin made the decision to not fire Bruce Arians. He either threw his support behind Arians, which is doubtful, or Arians would have never leaked that he was going to be fired. OR, The Rooneys or Ben Roethlisberger convinced Tomlin that Arians was the way to go.

It is still Tomlin's decision, but do you really think he would go against the Rooney Family OR Ben Roethlisberger?

If Arians did not have the support of Ben Roethlisberger, he would not be employed by the Steelers today.

A comment was made that Ben is already signed for the rest of his career, and that he would do nothing to hurt his stats, or the team. This statement I have a problem with.

I do not believe for one second that Ben would hold out, or play bad. But, if the next OC that came in did not improve on Ben's stats, then there would be a riff with Ben and Tomlin or Ben and the Rooneys.

As for Ben being signed for the rest of his career, well, that is not true, either.

Ben is signed until the end of the 2015 season. That is five more years. Ben will be 32. Ben is set to make $11.6 million per year from 2011-2014, and then $12.1 million in 2015, the last year of his contract.

This means, in all reality, that come 2014, four years from now, Ben will be signing his retirement contract. Probably for five more years, and he will be retired by then. If Ben's numbers start to diminish, what are the chances that he will decide to stay with the Steelers?

My guess would be pretty low. Here is the one thing that people seem to not be looking at. The Pittsburgh Steelers have won six Super Bowls. Four by Terry Bradshaw, and two by Ben Roethlisberger.

There was a gap of nearly 25 years between Bradshaw's last Super Bowl victory, and Ben's first. That is a long time to go without a Super Bowl, especially when you are a team like the Steelers.

The Rooney family realize that Roethlisberger is a once-in-a-generation player. You cannot find one in every draft. The Steelers want to keep Roethlisberger happy, and if that means keeping Arians, then THAT is exactly what they are going to do.

It does not matter if the decision was made by Tomlin or the Rooneys. The decision to keep Arians was made so that Ben Roethlisberger would be happy.

tony hipchest
01-10-2010, 11:42 PM
hater.

MasterOfPuppets
01-11-2010, 12:18 AM
wanna join the braintrust ? :popcorn:

zulater
01-11-2010, 06:41 AM
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1424/2010/january/10/madden-steelers-in-stable-condition.html

Good news BA supporters. Mark Madden's on your side. Sure you don't want to reconsider your opinion? :chuckle:

Seriously though this comes as no shock being as Mark is almost as far up Ben's ass as he is Mario and the Penguins. :flap:

Head coach Mike Tomlin tried to yank offensive coordinator Bruce Arians’ chair out from under him, but upper management put it back

Oh and let me head off at the pass anyone who wants to point out that Madden claims that powers above Tomlin saved BA's job. Anyone who knows anything about the Steelers knows that Madden is a pariah to the Steelers and couldn't find his way to the Steelers locker room with a GPS. Madden has one source and one source only within the Steelers orginzation. That would be Big Ben. So what you hear from Madden is what Ben is spinning him, so this is actually a little disconcerting ( to me) because it suggest there may be some sort of divide between Ben and Tomlin.

Strictly a braintrust moment of speculation on my part. So feel free to dismiss it out of hand, it really wont hurt my feelings.:chuckle:

X-Terminator
01-11-2010, 08:07 AM
I'd rather have Bill Belichick on my side than Fat Bastard. I certainly am not wont to believe anything that comes out of his Grand Canyon of a mouth.

HometownGal
01-11-2010, 08:19 AM
wow. theres alot of baited words in that post. nobody wants to see him humg on a cross and do you really think people think he is diseased?

That was ONE game, we still finished 9-7 and would have been 13-3 or 14-2, watching our Steelers in the playoffs had Lebeau and the D done their jobs. :shake02:

btw - you still haven't given me a valid indisputable reason for the crucifixion of Arians around here. I stand by my position. :drink:

xfl2001fan
01-11-2010, 08:23 AM

Cold Hard Facts? How bout this split...in it's first 9 games of the season, Cleveland gave up 194 yards on the ground. In it's last 7, 117. Maybe, just maybe, there was some improvement from that Cleveland Defense that is so villified. Sure, we still finished at the bottom for defense...but could it not be because we were so absolutely terrible the first half (+) of the season that we couldnt' dig ourselves out (no matter how well we played?)

Prok
01-11-2010, 09:56 AM
That was ONE game, we still finished 9-7 and would have been 13-3 or 14-2, watching our Steelers in the playoffs had Lebeau and the D done their jobs. :shake02:

btw - you still haven't given me a valid indisputable reason for the crucifixion of Arians around here. I stand by my position. :drink:

While I may not be with you on the Arians side of the debate I do fully agree with your point about LeBeau. However, seems every time I offer up any sort of criticism towards the D a whole host of my fellow Steelers fans jump to his defense and it ends up in some big argument.

But yeah, totally agreed that the D is just as much, if not more to blame than the O. Personally, i've just never been a big 3-4 fan.

X-Terminator
01-11-2010, 10:02 AM
While I may not be with you on the Arians side of the debate I do fully agree with your point about LeBeau. However, seems every time I offer up any sort of criticism towards the D a whole host of my fellow Steelers fans jump to his defense and it ends up in some big argument.

But yeah, totally agreed that the D is just as much, if not more to blame than the O. Personally, i've just never been a big 3-4 fan.

Been saying this for the past 2 months, but nobody around here wants to hear of it. There is some unwritten rule that no criticism shall be levied against Lebeau or the D, even though you are absolutely correct that they deserve every bit as much blame as the O is getting around here. I've heard every conceivable excuse you can think of, but the bottom line is that they FAILED, and that despite the D missing Troy and Aaron, there is absolutely NO EXCUSE for that unit to not be able to stop offenses like the Raiders and Chiefs, 2 offenses that had done next to nothing up until those games.

Prok
01-11-2010, 10:08 AM
Been saying this for the past 2 months, but nobody around here wants to hear of it. There is some unwritten rule that no criticism shall be levied against Lebeau or the D, even though you are absolutely correct that they deserve every bit as much blame as the O is getting around here. I've heard every conceivable excuse you can think of, but the bottom line is that they FAILED, and that despite the D missing Troy and Aaron, there is absolutely NO EXCUSE for that unit to not be able to stop offenses like the Raiders and Chiefs, 2 offenses that had done next to nothing up until those games.

Excellent post. TBH I left another Steelers message board over that 'unwritten rule'.

Seemed like a clique there where it was open season on Arians but how dare anyone criticize the D or the famed DC.

Fact of the matter is no matter how bad our secondary is we were pummeled by a whole host of very mediocre at best QB's. It was sickening to see week after week. And ya just got this feeling that no matter how much we scored that D was gonna keep EVERY opponent in the game.

Personally I'm hopeful that Tomlin will insert his knowledge and 4-3 scheme on this team sooner or later.

X-Terminator
01-11-2010, 11:44 AM
Excellent post. TBH I left another Steelers message board over that 'unwritten rule'.

Seemed like a clique there where it was open season on Arians but how dare anyone criticize the D or the famed DC.

Fact of the matter is no matter how bad our secondary is we were pummeled by a whole host of very mediocre at best QB's. It was sickening to see week after week. And ya just got this feeling that no matter how much we scored that D was gonna keep EVERY opponent in the game.

Personally I'm hopeful that Tomlin will insert his knowledge and 4-3 scheme on this team sooner or later.

Sadly, it ain't much different over here - the same kind of clique exists. You basically are not allowed to defend Arians in any way here, and any criticism of Lebeau or the D is verboten. I have no problem with people criticizing Arians if they give the same kind of criticism to Lebeau, as you have done.

Personally, I don't think there is a scheme problem more than a lack of talent and depth in the secondary after Troy. However, I don't feel Lebeau did enough to compensate for that lack of talent, such as trying to take away the middle of the field where they were constantly being burned. On top of that, I felt they were not aggressive enough with the pass rush in the second half and especially the 4th quarter, and that also led to the secondary getting pummeled. With the scheme that he runs and the way the CBs give the WRs a big cushion, you had better get to the QB, or you risk having your secondary shredded. It's one of the most glaring weaknesses of the zone blitz scheme. As for the 4-3, I'm not sure we have the personnel to run it full-time right now, but you may see it begin to be implemented in the future. It all depends on how they draft - Ziggy Hood may be the first step in that eventual transition since he is best suited for a 4-3 DE.

Rick5895
01-11-2010, 12:07 PM

I agree the D was bad this season, but here are some more games other than the cleveland game

Cinci 18- Steelers 12, 4 times inside the 12 0 TD 4 fg (BTW cinci had a KR td) NOT D FAULT

Cinci 23 Steelers 20 Sweed drops a TD, Ben throws a pic 6 (swing fo 14 points, D allowed only 1 TD)

In both games against Cinci we were 1 for 7 in red zone TD's, defensively only 1 td allowed.

that would be 3, making our record 12-4 if we had an offense in those games.

Now for some games that I will blame on the D but the O had a big part in defeat.

Raiders game 3 times in the red zone in first half 3 points.

KC Opening KR TD against, pic thrown in red zone returned inside our 5 (10 point swing)

Defensively we stunk this past season, but offensively we didn't put the bad teams away when we had opportunities, let them hang around and bad things happen.

In the Ravens loss we didn't make plays defensively near the end or in OT.

The Bears loss 2 missed FG.

We can all point to all the losses and lay blame somewhere, but the O, D and ST all failed at one time or another, this is a team game and we are out of the playoffs. THAT SUCKS ASS!!!!!!!!

I am glad Arians is back, continuity is IMPORTANT (even though I am not a B.A Fan)
But IMHO the D gets a pass this year. They have carried us in the past and last year were the primary reason we won a Super Bowl and the D played a big part in all our titles.

Can we finally put to bed the blaming of Arians or Lebeau.

Let's all look forward to 2010 and our 7th Super Bowl.
:tt::tt04::tt02::helmet: