PDA

View Full Version : Should Art Monk be Elected to the Hall of Fame?

ibleedburgundy
01-31-2006, 11:15 AM
I wanted an outside opinion from the knowledgable Steeler fan base.

Here are but a few of Art Monk's career highlights for those who are not familiar with Art Monk:

Art Monk retired the leading receiver all time in the NFL .
Art is #5 on the all time reception list and #9 on the all time receiving yards list.
Monk has better numbers in yards, receptions, and Touchdowns than Joiner, who is in the Hall Of Fame, yet did it in 2 fewer seasons.
Monk caught a record breaking 106 catches in 1984, he had 13 receptions in a 1990 game vs. Detroit, and had a 230 yd receiving day against the Bengals in 1985.
Monk played for many seasons in a run oriented offense, and had to share time with other great receivers such as Clark, yet he was arguably the most clutch Redskins player from that era.
Monk's teams went to 4 Super Bowls, winning 3. They were 16-5 in post season play. He was part of the 1983 club that set the NFL record for most points scored in a season.
Redskin's teams dominated the 80's, went to 4 Super Bowls and won 3, played in the toughest division in the NFL, and provided some of the finest football of that era. Yet only 1 player and Gibbs represent that team.
Monk wasn't flashy, he didn't grab headlines, yet he was the epitome of the consummate professional who got the job done. Perhaps not a TD machine, although he could be that, but a reliable chain mover who at times was unstoppable."

Suitanim
01-31-2006, 11:21 AM
Sure he should be there, and he will be.

BB2W
01-31-2006, 11:36 AM
I also think he should be in the Hall of Fame, and I think it is ridiculous that it has taken this long.

TasmanianTroy271
01-31-2006, 02:32 PM
Monk wasn't flashy, he didn't grab headlines, yet he was the epitome of the consummate professional who got the job done. Perhaps not a TD machine, although he could be that, but a reliable chain mover who at times was unstoppable."

Kinda sounds like Hines. I think he should definately be in the Hall of Fame, but when it comes to this class, they need to get L.C. in there...

clevestinks
01-31-2006, 02:36 PM
I agree about LC, but yes Monk deserves it!

Ambridge
01-31-2006, 02:47 PM
Monk should probably be in the HOF but I've heard on a couple of occasions that he wasn't very friendly to the local Washington and national media when he was playing and those same writers and media people who still vote for the HOF have been giving him a likewise snubbing and refuse to vote for him.

tony hipchest
01-31-2006, 03:10 PM
yes. add russ grimm and lc greenwood too!

3 to be 4
01-31-2006, 08:33 PM
dont forget the King!