PDA

View Full Version : Steelers 2010 free agents

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-08-2010, 08:35 AM
Here is a list of our free agents for the coming year. It should help with thoughts on draft picks and who we may or may not be able to re-sign.

Unrestricted Free Agents

QB Charlie Batch (UFA)
S Tyrone Carter (UFA)
S Ryan Clark (UFA)
DE Nick Eason (UFA)
NT Casey Hampton (UFA)
DE Travis Kirschke (UFA)
RB Willie Parker (UFA)
K Jeff Reed (UFA)
CB Deshea Townsend (UFA)
LB Rocky Boiman (UFA)

Restricted Free Agents

LB Patrick Bailey (RFA)
OL Willie Colon (RFA)
FB Carey Davis (RFA)
CB William Gay (RFA)
CB Anthony Madison (RFA)
NT Scott Paxson (RFA)
P Daniel Sepulveda (RFA)
TE Matt Spaeth (RFA)
OL Darnell Stapleton (RFA)

Released Players

OL Jason Capizzi (RFA) (released 9/5/09)
LB Arnold Harrison (RFA) (released 11/17/09)
WR Shaun McDonald (UFA) (released 11/28/09)
OL Jeremy Parquet (RFA) (released 9/5/09)
CB Keiwan Ratliff (UFA) (released 11/24/09)

Re-signed Players

C Justin Hartwig (UFA) (re-signed 9/9/09)
DE Brett Keisel (UFA) (re-signed 9/1/09)

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-08-2010, 10:48 AM
I think we will see:

QB Charlie Batch (UFA)... Gone, Dixon is a legit #2 QB, we wont pay Batch a Vets salary as a #3 clipboard holder.
S Tyrone Carter (UFA)..................Gone, we pick up a safety in the draft.
S Ryan Clark (UFA).......................Resigned, we will get him at good price.
DE Nick Eason (UFA)....................Gone, We use rotation of Smith/Kiesel/Kirschke/Hood/Harris.
NT Casey Hampton (UFA)...........Could go either way but I am leaning towards us letting him go, he is not one of Tomlins favorite players, (benched for being out of shape), good year for drafting NT's
DE Travis Kirschke (UFA) ...........Resigned, Vet depth and good value
RB Willie Parker (UFA).................Gone, he will get a better contract elsewhere, and I dont see us spending alot of money on a backup RB.
K Jeff Reed (UFA).........................Gone, Overvalues his own stock and is an off the field Ass-hat.
CB Deshea Townsend (UFA)....Gone, only versatility is that he plays safety and cornerback badly, pushed out by youth.
LB Rocky Boiman (UFA)..............Gone, 3 total ST tackles in 6 games? New ST coach will start afresh.

stb_steeler
01-08-2010, 11:02 AM
Spaeth and Gay need to go.

I agree, Gay been a bust all year. I thought he was going to be good. Carter can go to. Both of them been called out all season long.

stb_steeler
01-08-2010, 11:05 AM
I think we will see:

QB Charlie Batch (UFA)... Gone, Dixon is a legit #2 QB, we wont pay Batch a Vets salary as a #3 clipboard holder.
S Tyrone Carter (UFA)..................Gone, we pick up a safety in the draft.
S Ryan Clark (UFA).......................Resigned, we will get him at good price.
DE Nick Eason (UFA)....................Gone, We use rotation of Smith/Kiesel/Kirschke/Hood/Harris.
NT Casey Hampton (UFA)...........Could go either way but I am leaning towards us letting him go, he is not one of Tomlins favorite players, (benched for being out of shape), good year for drafting NT's
DE Travis Kirschke (UFA) ...........Resigned, Vet depth and good value
RB Willie Parker (UFA).................Gone, he will get a better contract elsewhere, and I dont see us spending alot of money on a backup RB.
K Jeff Reed (UFA).........................Gone, Overvalues his own stock and is an off the field Ass-hat.
CB Deshea Townsend (UFA)....Gone, only versatility is that he plays safety and cornerback badly, pushed out by youth.
LB Rocky Boiman (UFA)..............Gone, 3 total ST tackles in 6 games? New ST coach will start afresh.

Isnt Charlie retiring anyway?.....I heard he was taking a job in the front office?.

7willBheaven
01-08-2010, 11:18 AM
Unrestricted Free Agents

QB Charlie Batch (UFA) - New QB Coach anyone?
S Tyrone Carter (UFA) - I think his time is up
S Ryan Clark (UFA) - Resigned for reasonable price
DE Nick Eason (UFA) - I think this is somewhat of a must...he played much better than Kirschke..he's not as young as some would like, but he's younger than Kirschke (and maybe others).
NT Casey Hampton (UFA) - Not sure here...it'd be nice to keep him, but money and age are a problem
DE Travis Kirschke (UFA) - Gone
RB Willie Parker (UFA) - Torn here too...i've never had a problem with him...if he comes cheap sure why not.
K Jeff Reed (UFA) - for FG's i like him...but not for KO's....so again i'm not sure
CB Deshea Townsend (UFA) - Got the first non Troy DB INT this year...but if we draft/bring in some decent players he could be gone, but i would welcome him back for a short term cheap contract
LB Rocky Boiman (UFA) - did good on ST...just depends on what happens with FA signings/draft

Restricted Free Agents (keep in mind some of these may turn into UFAs if they get a

LB Patrick Bailey (RFA) - He's one of the more consistent STers we have, maybe not the best LB backup but still
OL Willie Colon (RFA) - I think its a must to sign him to a reasonable long term deal
FB Carey Davis (RFA) - mainly was a STer this year, supposedly a good leader and such, but w/e i dont care what they do with him
CB William Gay (RFA) - Most would say right away GONE! I think it depends on what they do via FA and the draft...Gay shouldnt be starting...but could provide a little bit of depth with experience...maybe a 1 yr tender, nothing long term...just as backup plan...as they can always cut him later.
CB Anthony Madison (RFA) - another must sign in my opinion, just for his stellar ST play
NT Scott Paxson (RFA) - Why is he here? Does he even fit this section...they just sign him to their off season roster, i wouldnt think he'd go here.
P Daniel Sepulveda (RFA) - DUH, resign, long term
TE Matt Spaeth (RFA) - Most say can him too...but I dont see where he's THAT bad..unless they want to go with Miller, McHugh and Johnson, then I guess he can walk...I always liked him as a redzone target being how tall he is...
OL Darnell Stapleton (RFA) - I dont see where he fits in now really, he's no longer a starter, and we have decent depth at C and G (though some would like even better depth).

supa_fly_steeler
01-08-2010, 11:37 AM
I agree, Gay been a bust all year. I thought he was going to be good. Carter can go to. Both of them been called out all season long.

i thought Ike Taylor was going to be good and shutdown opponents all year, it never happened. He Needs to go.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-08-2010, 11:45 AM
Isnt Charlie retiring anyway?.....I heard he was taking a job in the front office?.

Havent heard that...Now I have to "google".

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-08-2010, 11:54 AM
i thought Ike Taylor was going to be good and shutdown opponents all year, it never happened. He Needs to go.

Taylor had a bad year...but his body of work is enough to keep him. I recall that he had a bad year a couple of years back, then came back the following year and had a very solid season.
I have just convinced myself that he is NEVER going to be a "hands" CB, but he can stay with his man and knock the ball away. I will take that until we draft the next Woodson.:chuckle:

tyler289
01-08-2010, 12:19 PM
I think we franchise tag Hampton and draft his successor this year.

supa_fly_steeler
01-08-2010, 12:20 PM

Hamtpon said he might go to the Texans if there was a good offer :noidea:

SteelStang
01-08-2010, 12:48 PM

I've heard his tossed around and not knowing exactly how the tag works, my feeling is no one would sign him to give up 2 first rounders. Therefore, knowing he'll demand a big salary might as well pay him and let him groom a successor .

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-08-2010, 12:55 PM

I have said before that I think would be very unfair to Hampton being that he is getting older and looking for that last long term contract...but that being said...this IS a business.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
01-08-2010, 02:18 PM
looking at this list i'd like to see hampton and clark back. if parker would be willing to split time (which is the way it is in the NFL - there are NO starter jobs out there for him) i'd like him back. i'm iffy on reed...kickoffs need to go deeper and can he be trusted with more money in his pocket.

colon and sepulveda are the only RFA's i want back. the rest can walk or come back for next to nothing as special team players...

steelerdude15
01-08-2010, 02:42 PM
I think that William Gay needs to leave and I hope we can pick up a pretty good CB in the draft. Ike Taylor seems to have one good season and then the next he doesn't have a good season, but I would take him any day over Gay. I'd like to see Willie and Casey H. stay. I think Charlie Batch would make a pretty good QB coach now that Ken Anderson retired.

KeiselPower99
01-08-2010, 03:08 PM
Hampton wants a deal in the neighborhood of 9 mllion a year. I see us signing him for 2 maybe 3 and if he dosent wanna sign then we franchise or transition him. I think Hoke is good enough to tutor a young NT and start for a season.

markymarc
01-09-2010, 10:48 AM
This is a good list and thanks for providing it lamberts-lost- tooth. Here are my thoughts on these free agents.

Unrestricted Free Agents

QB Charlie Batch (UFA) - Dennis Dixon is now our #2 QB. I would like to see Charlie as our next QB coach.
S Tyrone Carter (UFA) - Time to think about your next career TC. Get this bum out of here.
S Ryan Clark (UFA) - If we can get Ryan Clark cheap he is brought back, but we need to get a young FS in the off season.
DE Nick Eason (UFA) - Nick Eason will be brought back and did a very nice job this season.
NT Casey Hampton (UFA) - IMO he will be franchised and the FO finds his replacement in the draft or FA.
DE Travis Kirschke (UFA) - See you later Kirschke.
RB Willie Parker (UFA) - Thanks for being such a great player while you were here FWP. I don't see him brought back especially since he wants to be a starter.
K Jeff Reed (UFA) - Jeff Reed is brought back.
CB Deshea Townsend (UFA) - Have fun in your 2nd career Deshea. Time to find his replacement.
LB Rocky Boiman (UFA) - Rocky should be brought back just for special teams play.

Restricted Free Agents

LB Patrick Bailey (RFA) - I was very disappointed in Patrick this season. This was supposed to be his thing playing special teams and was invisible most of the season.
OL Willie Colon (RFA) - I think Willie will be brought back.
FB Carey Davis (RFA) - Can we please get a real FB on this team?
CB William Gay (RFA) - He will be brought back and hopefully just to be our nickel CB.
CB Anthony Madison (RFA) - You do not let him get away again. Our special teams improved immediately once Madison was brought back.
NT Scott Paxson (RFA) - Might be brought back just for depth.
P Daniel Sepulveda (RFA) - He is our future punter and needs to be brought back.
TE Matt Spaeth (RFA) - I don't blame Matt Spaeth for his blocking struggles. He is a receiving TE and just does not fit well into the Steelers system as the #2 TE. Either let David Johnson take over the #2 spot or find his replacement.
OL Darnell Stapleton (RFA) - Will be brought back just for depth.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-09-2010, 11:09 AM
Hampton wants a deal in the neighborhood of 9 mllion a year. I see us signing him for 2 maybe 3 and if he dosent wanna sign then we franchise or transition him. I think Hoke is good enough to tutor a young NT and start for a season.

Do you have a link where Hamp wants $9mil?? Harrison is getting 8.5 a year average and I cant see a NT on the wrong side of 30 getting that.

If that is the case....Dan Williams will probably be the pick.

Aussie_steeler
01-10-2010, 03:08 AM
Franchise and transition tender tag amounts.

http://pit.scout.com/2/936109.html

DT Franchise $7,023,000 Transition $6,359,000

P/K Franchise $2,832,000 Transition $2,656,000

S Franchise $6,455,000 Transition $6,015,000

Ryan Clark is not getting the franchise tag based on that amount.

Jeff Reed is a possibility.

Casey has let it be known that he will not be happy with the TAG

SteelerNation12
01-10-2010, 03:34 AM
We could do without quite a few players on that list.

steeltheone
01-10-2010, 04:08 AM
Goodbye Casey get your 9 mill somewhere else. We have way to many holes to spend that kind of nickle on an older fatbody.

MasterOfPuppets
01-10-2010, 04:22 AM
Unrestricted Free Agents

QB Charlie Batch (UFA) :wave:
S Tyrone Carter (UFA) :wave:
S Ryan Clark (UFA) .... i'd make him a modest offer maybe 2 years
DE Nick Eason (UFA) .... same as above
NT Casey Hampton (UFA) .... i wouldn't break the bank on him, maybe 3 yrs 17 mill
DE Travis Kirschke (UFA)....:wave:
RB Willie Parker (UFA).... 2 yr deal ...maybe 4 mill
K Jeff Reed (UFA) ....:wave:
CB Deshea Townsend (UFA) :wave:
LB Rocky Boiman (UFA) :wave:

Restricted Free Agents

LB Patrick Bailey (RFA) :wave:
OL Willie Colon (RFA) mid tender
FB Carey Davis (RFA) :wave:
CB William Gay (RFA) low tender
CB Anthony Madison (RFA) :wave:
NT Scott Paxson (RFA) :wave:
P Daniel Sepulveda (RFA) .......mid tender
TE Matt Spaeth (RFA) :wave:
OL Darnell Stapleton (RFA) :wave:

stb_steeler
01-10-2010, 08:55 AM
Goodbye Casey get your 9 mill somewhere else. We have way to many holes to spend that kind of nickle on an older fatbody.

I dont see anyone giving him that much anywhere... Best case is towelboy at 2 cases of twinkies a week. :wink02:

Psyychoward86
01-10-2010, 01:52 PM
if u give Carter the boot, uh.....how much Safety depth do we have? Clark (IF we resign him) and Polamalu. And just Mundy behind the both of them. Does anybody here seriously feel comfortable with Mundy in the case of injury?