PDA

View Full Version : Based On RB SB History Hawks Win!

seahawksfan
01-31-2006, 12:25 PM
In Super Bowl history there are only two RB's who were the league MVP and rushing leader in the same year. Their teams won the SB...E Smith and T Davis. Alexander will be the third to win. Third times the charm.

tony hipchest
01-31-2006, 12:45 PM
why does the media keep talking about this perception of shawn alexander being soft?

Prosdo
01-31-2006, 01:00 PM
I won't underestimate the Seahawks at all. Or Shaun Alexander for that matter. He is a very good RB. That would be dumb, but history doesn't dictate a game.

TexaSteeler
01-31-2006, 01:48 PM
We'll just add that to the list of accomplishments that have never been done before in a playoff season.

Koopa
01-31-2006, 02:00 PM
well let me call cowher and the guys to tell em to just pack it up cause history is showing that this game is in the bag cause alexander is the league mvp and when that happens that team wins :rolleyes:

Brady12
01-31-2006, 02:02 PM
Based on Steelers Super Bowls, to Seahawks Super Bowls, Steelers win!

What I'm implying is nothing is written in stone until it's over.

clevestinks
01-31-2006, 02:03 PM
In Super Bowl history there are only two RB's who were the league MVP and rushing leader in the same year. Their teams won the SB...E Smith and T Davis. Alexander will be the third to win. Third times the charm.
Stats mean NOTHING! Big friggin deal! You Lose! LOL

#7bigben
01-31-2006, 02:10 PM
Stop Shaun and we will win

Steel - X
01-31-2006, 02:15 PM
Based on history since I have been watching my favorite team has not won the Superbowl because they were not in it. This year they are, Steelers win. Get one for the Bus.

Suitanim
01-31-2006, 02:16 PM
Should've heard Hugh Millen rip up on Alexander on Rome today. This wasn't hatah talk, either, he legitimately and repeatedly backed up his claims that Shaun Alexander is overrated, and questioned how Alexander could be the league MVP when he wasn't even his team MVP.

clevestinks
01-31-2006, 02:24 PM
We will be scoring at will on the defense anyway! So what about SA

drizze99
01-31-2006, 02:48 PM
Alexander will not gain 100 yds. You heard this here first.

Stlrs4Life
01-31-2006, 04:18 PM
I won't underestimate the Seahawks at all. Or Shaun Alexander for that matter. He is a very good RB. That would be dumb, but history doesn't dictate a game.

:iagree: with Prosdo.

blitzburghXL
01-31-2006, 04:44 PM
I love how Seahawks fans post the only bit of odd history that favors them and just forget to mention that every other bit of history favor the Black&Gold.

syde18T
01-31-2006, 04:48 PM
History only means something for smack talk, not the game itself.

If I was a Steelers fan, I wouldn't really be concerned about Alexander himself, but the offensive line and Mack Strong that paves his path for him. Strong is arguably the best blocking fullback in the NFL, and Walter Jones and the rest of the solid offensive line is by far the best I've seen this season.

clevestinks
01-31-2006, 04:57 PM
History only means something for smack talk, not the game itself.

If I was a Steelers fan, I wouldn't really be concerned about Alexander himself, but the offensive line and Mack Strong that paves his path for him. Strong is arguably the best blocking fullback in the NFL, and Walter Jones and the rest of the solid offensive line is by far the best I've seen this season.
I would agree with this somewhat, except how well do they stack up agaisnt a 3-4!

And one of our X-Factors **** LeBeau, will scheme it just right! Not SKeeeered!

LambertIsGod58
01-31-2006, 05:50 PM
Based on the stats, I guess Denver should be here....9-0 at Invesco.

marksashton
01-31-2006, 06:24 PM
Should've heard Hugh Millen rip up on Alexander on Rome today. This wasn't hatah talk, either, he legitimately and repeatedly backed up his claims that Shaun Alexander is overrated, and questioned how Alexander could be the league MVP when he wasn't even his team MVP.

I didn't hear the Rome interview but I listen to Hugh Millen practically every day on local radio KJR AM 950. He has a lot of respect for Alexander's ability. He has criticized him some for what happend after last season (complaining about being 1 yard short of rushing title). He's also said that Alexander has benefitted greatly from being behind the best offensive line in the NFL. But he also has said repeatedly that Alexander is probably a hall of fame tailback. He averaged more than 5 yards/carry this year and broke the NFL record for TD's. That's pretty hard to knock.

The JoKeR
01-31-2006, 08:00 PM
You can throw out all the history you want....no #6 seed has ever gone to the superbowl...guess what .. steelers did ... no team has beat the #1, #2, #3 seed to get to the superbowl....Steelers did. Stats are for people who are not secure with their team. I don't care what happened in the past. Sure the Steelers have won 4 superbowl rings....but that was a different team at a different time. I'm looking forward to the future, and the Steelers future looks pretty bright with most of it's "star" players having less then 5 years in the league.

Hawk Believer
01-31-2006, 08:13 PM
You have to watch out for your free agents though. Lots of teams like to pick up people who have been to and especially won the big dance and will pay a little extra. The Hawks may fall victim to the same strategies they have been using over the last couple years.

tony hipchest
01-31-2006, 08:18 PM
You have to watch out for your free agents though. Lots of teams like to pick up people who have been to and especially won the big dance and will pay a little extra. The Hawks may fall victim to the same strategies they have been using over the last couple years.
youre talkin to steelerfans here. having free agents and coaches plucked from our team is nothing new. remember chad brown? willie williams?

Hawk Believer
01-31-2006, 08:35 PM
youre talkin to steelerfans here. having free agents and coaches plucked from our team is nothing new. remember chad brown? willie williams?
But you may see a higher rate of attrition. But what do I know, I am no GM. I just hope we don't lose SA, Manuel, Hutchinson, and Jurevicius this off season. But there is plenty of time to dwell on that later...

seahawksfan
01-31-2006, 08:49 PM
We will be scoring at will on the defense anyway! So what about SA

What a bunch of BS. Another example of gross hyperbole. At will? Hell, why even show up? You are way too over confident. It'll come back to bite you Sunday.

seahawksfan
01-31-2006, 08:54 PM

I'm humbled by your insight, your intellectual prowess, your crystal ball. :dang: I tremble in awe of your football knowledge. :eyecrazy:

steelguitar
01-31-2006, 09:07 PM
That was then this is now Go Steelers

drizze99
01-31-2006, 09:22 PM
I'm humbled by your insight, your intellectual prowess, your crystal ball. :dang: I tremble in awe of your football knowledge. :eyecrazy:

You'll be humbled even more on Sunday after the game.

Animal
01-31-2006, 09:26 PM
And we know a Number 6 seed cannot make it to the Super Bowl!

Koopa
01-31-2006, 09:28 PM
What a bunch of BS. Another example of gross hyperbole. At will? Hell, why even show up? You are way too over confident. It'll come back to bite you Sunday.

why? we ain't playing the game, we are allowed to talk like that cause our players will back us up. they know what's at stake and know how good the seahawks are.

Suitanim
02-01-2006, 08:46 AM
I didn't hear the Rome interview but I listen to Hugh Millen practically every day on local radio KJR AM 950. He has a lot of respect for Alexander's ability. He has criticized him some for what happend after last season (complaining about being 1 yard short of rushing title). He's also said that Alexander has benefitted greatly from being behind the best offensive line in the NFL. But he also has said repeatedly that Alexander is probably a hall of fame tailback. He averaged more than 5 yards/carry this year and broke the NFL record for TD's. That's pretty hard to knock.

Well, that's not what he said on the big stage...basically he claims that Alexander is a one dimensional back. He's sure Alexander is gone next year, too.

Hawk Believer
02-01-2006, 10:43 AM
Millen has always been frustrated by his perception that SA doesn't give a full effort on pass blocking.

thumb 2 come
02-01-2006, 10:51 AM

Yes one hundred yard rusher this year yup count em one. So don't give your afeminate MVP the game just yet. Oh yeah how was that dallas 3-4 did real good aginst them didn't ya. Man you seahwks fans really need to take a prozac or something no one runs on us.

bozz723
02-01-2006, 10:54 AM

You are certainly right, third time is the charm. First two won so third loses. Third time's the charm :cheers:

seahawksfan
02-01-2006, 11:01 AM
why? we ain't playing the game, we are allowed to talk like that cause our players will back us up. they know what's at stake and know how good the seahawks are.

I never said one cannot talk smack or share their opinion. I responded to a comment characterizing it for what it was. That said, I agree with you that the Steelers know what's at stake and will bring their A game. So will the Seahawks.

seahawksfan
02-01-2006, 11:02 AM
You are certainly right, third time is the charm. First two won so third loses. Third time's the charm :cheers:

Didn't I see you on the Twisted Logic tour?

seahawksfan
02-01-2006, 11:07 AM
Yes one hundred yard rusher this year yup count em one. So don't give your afeminate MVP the game just yet. Oh yeah how was that dallas 3-4 did real good aginst them didn't ya. Man you seahwks fans really need to take a prozac or something no one runs on us.

Speaking of effeminate, should I call you miss or ms? Steelers have a stout defense, particularly the latter half of the season. However, they will have not played against the best offensive line in the NFL unitl this Sunday. Jones vs. Porter. I love it.

seahawksfan
02-01-2006, 11:13 AM
Stats mean NOTHING! Big friggin deal! You Lose! LOL

I agree on one point you make. Stats do mean nothing except as an indicator of probable outcome. So, technically, stats are not 100% predictive of outcome. Given the incredible range of stats called out by Steeler fans to predict a Steeler SB win and the stridence with which they throw them at us you might want to share your perspective as a new thread...

thumb 2 come
02-01-2006, 11:17 AM
Speaking of effeminate, should I call you miss or ms? Steelers have a stout defense, particularly the latter half of the season. However, they will have not played against the best offensive line in the NFL unitl this Sunday. Jones vs. Porter. I love it.

Yes we have we practice aginst are line every week:boxing:

seahawksfan
02-01-2006, 11:21 AM
Yes we have we practice aginst are line every week:boxing:

Ouch. That really hurt. Give me a break. You guys have a decent o-line but it isn't the overall caliber of the Seahawks.

syde18T
02-01-2006, 11:23 AM
Ouch. That really hurt. Give me a break. You guys have a decent o-line but it isn't the overall caliber of the Seahawks.

While I agree that the Stillers offensive line isn't as solid as Seattles, I think "decent" is still way to much of an understatement. This is a line that stopped Indy's quick pass rush and the Broncos complicating blitz. I think that merits it to be more than just decent.

brianski71
02-01-2006, 10:04 PM
are you kidding the seahawks o-line is out of our league? yeah...they are good.....but ours is at least as good....probably better......plus seattles o-line is going against our front 7 that will eat them alive.....who should our o line be afraid of? 50 year old grant wistrom? come on we shredded good defenses......i cant wait to see what we will do to your 'sweet' 17th ranked defense(against shitty NFC competition) FANECA HARTINGS AND SMITH ARE THE BEST 3 O LINEMEN IN THE GAME!!! period.

seahawksfan
02-02-2006, 01:08 AM
are you kidding the seahawks o-line is out of our league? yeah...they are good.....but ours is at least as good....probably better......plus seattles o-line is going against our front 7 that will eat them alive.....who should our o line be afraid of? 50 year old grant wistrom? come on we shredded good defenses......i cant wait to see what we will do to your 'sweet' 17th ranked defense(against shitty NFC competition) FANECA HARTINGS AND SMITH ARE THE BEST 3 O LINEMEN IN THE GAME!!! period.

Once again nobrainski71, you display an incredible lack of knowledge about the game or the Seahawks. Your posts are reaching epic levels on the stupid meter.

DJfan
02-02-2006, 08:58 AM
I really am not talking smack, but I can't see Seattle's O line holding up against Pittsburgh's D line. I am looking for a serious fan to give a thought-out reply, not just emotion. Honestly, the teams we dominated are very good teams. Seattle is very good, but that match up on the line looks to be out of Seattle's league.

Any legit responses? I know you have thought of this, too.

Rotorhead
02-02-2006, 09:32 AM
Ok, against the Donkeys in the AFC Championship game all the "experts" continually said the Donkeys line was the best in the league with their zone blocking schemes . . . before that it was Indy's line that had protected Manning flawlessly all year . . . now it is Seattle's vaunted O-line that is "the best in the league". Do you see the pattern here? So Seattle has some probowlers on the O-line . . . Pittsburgh has multiple year probowlers on thier O-line and D front 7. Seattles D is not near the D of Chicago, Denver, Indy (all in the top 5 in the NFL) that our Oline manhandled. So as I see it, our Dline is at least your Olines equal (and I am just petting your ego with that statement) and our Oline is in a different league than your Dline. SA is not getting 100yds this game, remember Denver had the best rushing attack in the NFL with almost 2-1000yd rushers . . . how did that rushing attack go? I hope your "super" tackle spends all his time blocking Porter, in that case you are outmanned at the line of scrimmage and getting SACKED!

Hawk Believer
02-02-2006, 10:07 AM
I really am not talking smack, but I can't see Seattle's O line holding up against Pittsburgh's D line. I am looking for a serious fan to give a thought-out reply, not just emotion. Honestly, the teams we dominated are very good teams. Seattle is very good, but that match up on the line looks to be out of Seattle's league.

Any legit responses? I know you have thought of this, too.
Here are some thoughts on the topic said more eloquently than I could..

The Seahawks' running game starts and ends with league MVP Shaun Alexander. When he is effective, the Seattle offense is almost unstoppable. Seattle uses a version of a zone-blocking scheme to get a hat on a hat and allow Alexander to pick a hole after he gets the ball.

On the power runs off-tackle, left tackle Walter Jones and left guard Steve Hutchinson can collapse right outside linebacker Joey Porter and right end Kimo von Oelhoffen down inside. That would allow fullback Mack Strong to lead the way on an inside linebacker, either James Farrior or Larry Foote, and leave Alexander one-on-one with a safety, either Troy Polamalu or Chris Hope.

Another favorite Seattle run is the stretch play. On this play, Alexander gets the ball and starts running laterally. Each offensive lineman is responsible for a zone and will block the first defender that occupies that area. Because these blocks happen at different levels and different times, the hole can change each time the play is called. Alexander's job is to be patient and then use his incredible burst the second a hole opens and hit the hole with his shoulders square.

The Steelers are the best in the NFL at using 3-4 defensive scheme. Against the Seahawks, the onus will be on nose tackle Casey Hampton and Foote and Farrior to clog the middle of the field. Hampton must take up at least two blockers on each running play and hold his ground at the point of attack. This would allow Foote and Farrior to scrape downhill off the snap and shoot the gaps to make plays on Alexander in the backfield. On the outside runs, Polamalu must fill the running lane quickly and make Alexander pick a seam before he wants to. By being the aggressor, Polamalu can get Alexander to stutter-step in the backfield and allow his teammates to rally to the ball.

In the playoffs, just about every Hasselbeck throw seems to be on target. With such a hot hand, coach Mike Holmgren should come out throwing from three- and four-receiver formations. When using three receivers, the Seahawks can get Darrell Jackson, Bobby Engram and Joe Jurevicius lined up against Pittsburgh cornerbacks Ike Taylor, Deshea Townsend and Bryant McFadden. If Holmgren uses Jurevicius in the slot, he can simply run hitches and slants all day because of his 7-inch height advantage against Townsend. This then would make the linebackers extend their coverage wider, opening up the middle for the deep-in routes to tight end Jerramy Stevens.

Taylor (6-1, 191) has the size and strength to cover any of Seattle's receivers, but McFadden (6-0, 190) is just a rookie and could struggle against veterans such as Engram and Jackson. McFadden will need help from Hope, opening up the deep middle for Stevens and/or Jurevicius. When the Seahawks use four-receiver sets, look for speedy D.J. Hackett (or backup quarterback Seneca Wallace in a sort of a gadget play) to get behind the secondary on at least one deep throw.

The Steelers will counter by playing "off" coverage early in the game, mostly a cover-3 zone. This will allow Polamalu to have free range near the line of scrimmage to steal the underneath dig and slant routes. The Steelers typically rush three linemen and a linebacker but excel at disguising which linebacker is to blitz. The outside linebacker not blitzing must drop to take away the flat routes, quick screens or quick outs. That will allow the cornerback on that side to squeeze his coverage toward Hope.

The Steelers do a good job of disguising coverage, and Polamalu is the key to the whole scheme. Advantage: Seahawks.

FOCAL POINT

Seattle must convert on third down. One key play for Seattle on third-and-short is the rollout. Hasselbeck can use a play-action fake to Alexander, put the ball on his hip and roll outside the hash marks. Hasselbeck then should look for Stevens dragging across the formation or Strong leaking out of the backfield and into the flat. If neither is open, Hasselbeck can run for the first down. Advantage: Seahawks.

Suitanim
02-02-2006, 04:41 PM
Ok, against the Donkeys in the AFC Championship game all the "experts" continually said the Donkeys line was the best in the league with their zone blocking schemes . . . before that it was Indy's line that had protected Manning flawlessly all year . . . now it is Seattle's vaunted O-line that is "the best in the league". Do you see the pattern here?

Yes. Yes I do...don't forget that Cincy also had "arguably the best, or one of the best Olines in the NFL"

DJfan
02-02-2006, 07:50 PM
Hawk Believer,

Thanks for the post. I just don't buy it. I know your line looks good, but our pro-bowl line out weighs your guys by a lot! I haven't seen anyone factor this into their analysis. The wieght differential is very large, not just a few pounds. This is important more so because our guys are very good and large. Your guys are good to very good. So very good to very good, we win in the pushing contest, and that is just to let Jerome smash into your guys.

It looks tough for your offense to me.

Either way, good year, have fun and congrats. Enjoy the second-to-last pick in the draft.

Hawk Believer
02-02-2006, 08:02 PM
Hawk Believer,

Thanks for the post. I just don't buy it. I know your line looks good, but our pro-bowl line out weighs your guys by a lot! I haven't seen anyone factor this into their analysis. The wieght differential is very large, not just a few pounds. This is important more so because our guys are very good and large. Your guys are good to very good. So very good to very good, we win in the pushing contest, and that is just to let Jerome smash into your guys.

It looks tough for your offense to me.

Either way, good year, have fun and congrats. Enjoy the second-to-last pick in the draft.

Well, if you bought it than I probably wouldn't respect you much as a Steeler fan. I think one place we might get a little overlooked is the right side of the line. The left gets all the attention, but the right side is still pretty good. I know your left side on D kicks butt, but I am thinking that so much attention is being focused on the other side that there might be some game planning to sneak some plays through on our right. I know wins are 90% about execution, but I do think that the game planning for these match ups will be a factor too. A lebeau/Holmgen chess game prehaps.

Anyway, enjoy the game. But not too much.:chug:

bozz723
02-03-2006, 01:52 AM
Once again,

Seattle has not come close to facing a team as good as the Steelers the entire year. Not even close, these matchups you are talking about do not matter. It will take a supernatural force for the Seahawks to win. I'm not saying that can't happen, but it is highly unlikely. So, I am damn glad I am a Steelers fan right now.

Rotorhead
02-03-2006, 02:21 AM
The other problem with the zoneblocking scheme that Seattle uses, is that we faced the exact same thing with the Broncos. The "experts" explained ad naseum about how the broncos were going to kill us with the cutbacks and (better in my opinion) blocking schemes, and it never happened. The Broncos have a better rushing attack than Seattle (Anderson over 1000yds and Bell at 15 under 1000yds). Plummer scrambles better than Hasselback so dont expect the "experts" analysis on how Hasselback will scramble his way out of trouble to happen either. SA is a great runner, but we have face several runners easily in the same league as SA this year and shut them down with little problem. The other "expert" fantasy is about the intelligence of Hasselback . . . which is not the caliber of Manning and we confused the crap out of him and his "arguably best oline". Reading the "experts" is a waste IMO, quoting them to us is even worse (if we relied on the experts we would not have made the playoffs)! The fact is, Seattle will have to play out of this world to beat the Steelers, the Steelers are playing out of this world already, that is how they beat all the odds to get here. If Seattle doesnt match that intensity, they are going to get hit in the mouth real hard!

Large_Ant
02-03-2006, 05:06 AM
Weird. I saw this exact same post on the Panthers board two weeks ago. It's like deja vu.

BlacknGold Bleeder
02-03-2006, 06:45 AM
Weird. I saw this exact same post on the Panthers board two weeks ago. It's like deja vu.

THe difference is that was on a Panthers board!! I really don't care about yardage the bottom line is Concushawn Alexander will not hurt us enough to win!!

thumb 2 come
02-03-2006, 07:03 AM

and only 2 backs came to the super bowl with over 10,000 yards and they both one.
Damn guess were at a tie let's go home