PDA

View Full Version : As a Steelers Fan which is more important?

SH-Rock
01-09-2010, 07:45 PM
Defense or Offense

cubanstogie
01-09-2010, 07:48 PM
Defense wins championships, has a nice ring to it. This is kind of a beating around the bush Arians thread though. At least it will turn in to one.

tony hipchest
01-09-2010, 08:08 PM
Defense wins championships, has a nice ring to it. This is kind of a beating around the bush Arians thread though. At least it will turn in to one.sounds like an offense/defense thread.

why try to politicize everything?

it seems like anyone who might have a problem with the offense vs defense discussion might be a hypersensitive arians fan better of served posting on a better homes and garden forum.

AllD
01-09-2010, 08:11 PM
I don't know.

stillers4me
01-09-2010, 08:19 PM
Balance.

rich4eagle
01-09-2010, 08:41 PM
Completely unimportant and irrelevant and dumb question

Winning with what you have is most important:tt04::tt02::tt03::tt::drink::thumbsup::t humbsup:

HometownGal
01-09-2010, 08:42 PM
Defense wins championships, has a nice ring to it. This is kind of a beating around the bush Arians thread though. At least it will turn in to one.

Like hell it will.

I think both are equally important, so I really can't respond to your poll.

MasterOfPuppets
01-09-2010, 08:49 PM
i don't believe i've ever seen a steeler team make the sb with an average D, but they have with an average to below O, so its a no brainer....:noidea:

HughC
01-09-2010, 09:56 PM
Winning is more important.

While defense has always been more important in the past, it's more important to understand what it takes to win today. Rule changes and the way the NFL tells referees to officiate a game are completely different now than it was thirty years ago. Used to be able to hit a receiver as much as you wanted to before the ball was thrown; now you can't touch him more than a couple steps after the line of scrimmage. You're far more likely to see a 34-31 game than a 10-7 game now.

The concept of a team with a strong defense and running game taking over in the playoffs is becoming a thing of the past. The four teams that got a bye this year are all stronger on offense than on defense. So called finesse teams used to fade away in December; look at who is in the playoffs and it's apparent speed and a strong passing game is more important than brawn and defense. It's no coincidence that in addition to the Colts, the top four NFC teams have all been put together to take advantage of the fact they either play in domes or in warm weather year round. Add New England to that group, and the Bengals were the only division winner built on the traditional strong defense and running game strategy.

Balance is important, but if one is more important than the other then it is the offense that is now more important than defense. Nearly everybody throws more oftne than they run now, and quarterbacks now complete 65% of their passes rather than 45-50%. Times have changed, and you can't just repeat what worked 35 years ago and expect it to still work.

zulater
01-09-2010, 10:00 PM
You play to your strength. Right now the Steelers have more good offensive players than defensive players, so imo they have a higher burden to meet on the offensive side of the ball.

I'll give you a good example. The 79 Steelers defense had clearly fallen off with injuries to Jack Ham, and age taking its toll on Joe Greene etc.. So the offense had to perform to a level that wasn't previously neccessary in order to win our 4th SB.

In the Steelers first 3 Super Bowl winning seasons the defense allowed 189, 162, and 195 points repectively. In 79 they allowed 262 points. By current thinking the Steelers should have never won SB XIV and the defensive falloff could have been labeled fully to blame. But thankfully the powers to be at the time recognized that the strength of that singular team was in it's offensive firepower in Bradshaw, Swann, Stallworth, and Harris. So they went out and scored 416 points that season which was a full 60 more than the powerfull 78 team scored.

So the answer is both are important. But play to your strength all the same.

:wink02::chuckle:

Cinnjerm
01-09-2010, 10:44 PM
I'll answer this in the form of a logical argument. Premise A: Defense wins championships, Premise B: championships are the ultimate objective, Premise C: The ultimate objective in any sports is the most important, Conclusion: Defense is the most important. I'm sure this is not groundbreaking insight to anyone here, just thought I'd add my two cents :tt02:

SteelC7
01-09-2010, 10:48 PM
just answer the guys question!!!! to answer ur question, not about arians, not balance, im gonna go ahead and just answer ur ORIGINAL question: defense is more important, we dominated with defense in 5/6 SB wins

zulater
01-09-2010, 10:51 PM
I wouldn't say any of the teams that earned first round bye's this year particuarly scare anyone with their defense.

Glace
01-09-2010, 10:54 PM
Defense for me

I'd rather see our defense pitch a shutout than big ben and the offense score 50 points.

steel9guy
01-09-2010, 11:47 PM
Defense DEFENSE!!!!!!!!!!! Defense is the Steelers.

steelpride12
01-10-2010, 12:04 AM
#1 defense won us a championship even with a 23rd ranked O.

VTsteel
01-10-2010, 05:07 AM
Defense or Offense?

Easy . . . Defense!

If they can't score you can't lose.

:tt05:

solardave
01-10-2010, 05:24 AM
Balance.

I agree!!!!! That way when one has a bad game the other can win it.